I need prayers

Just wanted you to know that I am still keeping Ashley, you and all your family in my prayers. Hope things are progressing.

Jackie x:hug:

Thank you for your continued prayers.

It's been a month today since Ashley's accident. On the Rancho scale, she's entering Rancho 3. Ashley still can't communicate "on demand" but she's moving her arms around a lot. Very random movements, but the doctors say it a good thing. Her brain is trying to retrain her muscles. She was fitted for a wheel chair and should receive it today. It'll hopefully do her good to take her outside to get some fresh air. Ashley still can't regulate her own tempature so we won't be out long in this southern heat.

We're continuing to pray for her improvement. When she gets to Rancho 4, she'll be accepted into Shepherds Center in Atlanta. I've heard many good things about this place. They have a higher rate of a more normalized life after traumatic brain injury than most other places.

It's a bit overwhelming still at all we have to do in the next months. DH is working up plans to add an addition on our home. Ashley will need an ADA compliant environment, so while I take a FMLA to be in Atlanta with her, DH will be adding a large room with a roll in shower and anything else she'll need. Her case worker said that if our home wasn't ADA compliant that Ashley would not be able to come home. Naturally, that's our #1 priority right now.

Our goals have changed in the last month. Ashley most likely will never walk again but our goal now is for communication and upper body coordination. Her acceptance will come with time. She knows she's loved and that we'll be there for her through everything that will come.

Thank you so much for taking the time to update us on Ashley's condition. I'm glad you and your family are changing your goals for her - she will need you to keep grounded and concentrate on all the little improvements and celebrate them. I know it will be a long haul for you all. But she is still with you, and still making improvements even if they are small ones. Keep your faith and I will pray for strength for you all as you go through the upcoming changes in your family.

Jackie

Thank you for your continued prayers.

It's been a month today since Ashley's accident. On the Rancho scale, she's entering Rancho 3. Ashley still can't communicate "on demand" but she's moving her arms around a lot. Very random movements, but the doctors say it a good thing. Her brain is trying to retrain her muscles. She was fitted for a wheel chair and should receive it today. It'll hopefully do her good to take her outside to get some fresh air. Ashley still can't regulate her own tempature so we won't be out long in this southern heat.

We're continuing to pray for her improvement. When she gets to Rancho 4, she'll be accepted into Shepherds Center in Atlanta. I've heard many good things about this place. They have a higher rate of a more normalized life after traumatic brain injury than most other places.

It's a bit overwhelming still at all we have to do in the next months. DH is working up plans to add an addition on our home. Ashley will need an ADA compliant environment, so while I take a FMLA to be in Atlanta with her, DH will be adding a large room with a roll in shower and anything else she'll need. Her case worker said that if our home wasn't ADA compliant that Ashley would not be able to come home. Naturally, that's our #1 priority right now.

Our goals have changed in the last month. Ashley most likely will never walk again but our goal now is for communication and upper body coordination. Her acceptance will come with time. She knows she's loved and that we'll be there for her through everything that will come.[/QUOTE]

:hug:, here is for more breakthroughs and blessings!:flower3:

Thanks everyone for continuing to pray for Ashley's recovery!

Here's an update.

Ashely is fully in Rancho 4 now, the confused/agitated state. She still can't communicate and her movements are quite random. She's extremely frustrated that she can't move her body at will. Ashley tries so hard that her whole body starts shaking. It's very exhausting for her to try so hard. She's also started crying a lot in the last week, which I just can't handle. I end up crying right along with her. It seems her conscienceness is waking up now and she's able to focus more everyday. It's a good thing, but so hard to watch her go through it. Nothing can prepare a person for this.

For the first time yesterday though, she smiled a little. Ashley has been scowling for the past few weeks. She's been wearing a hospital gown for 7 weeks now so I bought her some street clothes to wear during PT. She gave me a little smile. It brought tears to my eyes! All of her belongings are still in Nashville with her EX-fiance. I just can't deal with dealing with him right now.

I think a lot of her improvements right now are because she finally got her neck brace off on Monday and on Tuesday, the nurses pulled her trachiotomy tube. She looks beautiful! It's so nice to see all of her now.

For the past three weeks we've been fighting with the insurance company to send her to Shepherd's in Atlanta or a place called Timber Ridge in AR. Most of the brain injury rehab facilities in Tennessee have turned us down, due to Ashley not being able to participate in the therapy. She sometimes responds when asked to lift her hand or sqeeze, but it's very inconsistent. She wants to, her darn body won't co-operate. We have hope last hope here in TN at a place called Stallworth's at Vanderbilt. The hospital she's staying at now contacted them last week, but we've gotten no response from them yet.

Please continue the prayers that Ashley will find peace in her situation and that she will be able to go to a rehab facility that will help her to bring about the best possible outcome.

Oh, and as a side note...DH & I decided that by December we'll be completely insane from all the stress, so we've booked a trip to WDW. We cancelled our trip in September so we have several hundred dollars returned onto my Disney rewards card that expires at the end of this year. I just happened to check my emails the day I decided that I was going to lose my mind and found a WDW discount code. We'll hopefully be staying at CSR on the 40% off discount so it's already paid for. I'm not overplanning this trip as I know it may not really happen. It all depends on how Ashley is doing and how far along she is in her recovery.

We're still praying. :hug: If you ever need to talk, send a PM.

Nothing can prepare for this. Haven't dealt with car ccident, but watched/worried as gifted DS suffered catastrophic illness that left him aware, but unable to move anything other than facial muscles.

Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us updated. Ashley and all of you are constantly in my prayers. It must be exhausting for you and your family and I think a planned holiday is important so that you have something to aim for. Ashley seems like such a fighter. Having you there fighting for her too is, I am sure, an incredible help to her. She may not know everything that is going on but I am sure she is more than aware that you and your family are with her, every step of the way.

God bless all of you.

Jackie & Family x:hug:

I'm so sorry to hear about this. You and your daughter are in my prayers.

Ashley is now in a rehab facility! The difference between the Acute care hospital and the rehab center are night and day. Rehab is so bright and cheerful, the staff are absolutely wonderful. Ashley will have therapy (physical, occupational and speech) for 3 - 6 hours a day. She'll be exhausted, but it's just what she needs at this point in her recovery. At the LTAC (long term acute care) we felt the need to not let her out of our sight because the care was so inconsistent.

This new place, I just can't say enough wonderful things about it. The staff check on her every 1 - 1.5hrs. This rehab is just the 2nd step in recovery. In about two months she'll have to go to a long term rehab facility to fine tune her daily care and functionability. All of a sudden things are looking up!

Please pray that she continues improving! OH, more exciting news...we definately know that she knows us now. She acually smiles when we come into the room and tries to touch our faces. Her hand isn't quite working yet, but it's coming along!:dance3:

I'm so glad to hear that Ashley is showing improvement!! You must be so relieved both with that and with the change to a facility that you feel comfortable about. Thanks for keeping us posted. Great news too that she is recognizing you!!

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It may be a long road ahead with Ashely, but is sounds like the road it getting easier. Every little step leads to the light at the end of the tunnel. :grouphug:

I haven't read every post here & not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but maybe you can find out if the facility will allow you to bring in a CD player and you can play some of Ashley's favorite music for her. She may want to hear it..

I will send prayers your way for Ashley and your whole family :grouphug:

Awesome news - just hope it gets better.

Thanks for your continued support and prayers.

Sorry it's been a while since I updated. Ashley continues to improve! She is now trying to use her stomach muscles and she's moving her left leg around. Hopefully it won't be long before she can turn over by herself. This brings excitement and fear. Fear because I don't want her to accidently throw herself out of bed. The hospital has a "tent" they put over the bed that will help her stay in it.

Ashley is moving her mouth as if she's speaking and her expressions match her mouth movements. Speech therapy will be getting a stethoscope(sp?) to listen at her throat to see if she is speaking, but just too low for us to hear. If she is, we'll get her an external voice box. I'm so excited to find out the results of this test. It'll open up a whole new world if she is really speaking!

Ashley also has learned new facial expressions. She can smile now!!!! She also has a sneer when she's uncomfortable and she puts on a puppy dog sad face when I tell her goodnight. Ashley's in there and is in the process of learning how to communicate by facial expressions.

The therapists are wonderful at her new facility. They really take there time with her and I can tell they really care. Most stop by her room to say hi in the morning and before they go home.

We've finally decided that renovating our house is not feasible. It's just too small to do much with, so we're in the process of buying a new house. Our budget isn't quite ready for this, but we have no other choice. I was planning on quitting my job and being a full time caregiver. Instead I'll go part time and keep her sitter we have now so I can bring in a bit of extra money. Between all of that and Ashley's disability check we should be able to do OK.

For now I'm keeping my ticker for Disney, but most likely won't go. The room is already paid for but the food and airfare are not. At this point it's not looking like Ashley will be ready for us to leaver her in December anyway. Here's hoping for next September or December 2011 with Ashley. I would love to see Disney through her "brand new" eyes.

Thank you for the update and I'm so happy to hear about the progress. :goodvibes

I am sending thoughts and prayers to you, your family, and Ashley. May she continue to improve every day.

I know how difficult and frustrating it can be to be a caregiver for someone you love, please don't forget to take care of yourself :hug:.

It is so wonderful to hear your hope and Ashley's progress. She is blessed to have such a wonderful mom and dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter