I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year!
SWA Companion Pass: DH and I applied (separately) for the business cards on 12/27. We have a legitimate business. He was immediately accepted and I was put into review status. He then applied for the Rapid Rewards Plus card and was put into review status. I didn't apply for the 2nd card.
I know all the rules and we meet all of them. I canceled my SWA card over 100 days ago to prepare to open these. What could be the issue? Is only 1 card allowed per business and I have to be an authorized person on his card? I called Chase and was told my application is still in review and I will be notified with a decision in 10 business days. I didn't opt to speak to anyone because I don't want to draw attention, I guess. Should I not apply for the Plus card until the status is determined on the business card? This is just frustrating.

I'm so sorry @Haley R. That is so, so terrible.
Thank you. I feel really bad for the teachers and friends he had this year. I hadn’t taught him for two years but I saw him twice in the summer. Dh and I even rode a roller coaster with him and his family. It was at a theme park two hours away and we happened to see them there

Yes. And if you had the monthly option I think it works even better as you can just keep paying as you accumulate cards. I had a monthly deduction from my checking account and I had never had a problem in 18 years. When I paid the remainder last year for a minimum spend on a credit card, it was seamless, and then I did contract by contract one day in December with my gift cards and it just deducted and pushed the next payment date down the road until it was paid in full with my final gift card. I should have been doing this for years.

Go on the site and check it out. I think they are due by January 15 and late by Feb 15.

So - if my dues are say $85/month and I have a $30 gift card. If I call and pay $30 they will only deduct $55 for my next payment? Or do I need a full $85 in gift cards and just "erase" that month's payment?

Thank you. I feel really bad for the teachers and friends he had this year. I hadn’t taught him for two years but I saw him twice in the summer. Dh and I even rode a roller coaster with him and his family. It was at a theme park two hours away and we happened to see them there

Oh, so very sorry. How sad. Can not imagine the families pain.

You might already know this but one thing I recall from Japan and the trains is that there are two different companies that don't have much to do with each other. I never figured out the specifics because one of my sons who is good with languages was in charge of asking directions but I do recall that we never did figure out from the maps which train to take (or where to buy tickets or how to get to the right platform). Young Japanese people were super eager to help us, though, so it never was a problem.
Yes there are definitely different companies for the trains. We are buying a JR pass for part of our stay when we take the bullet train. While in Tokyo we are getting the metro pass and at Disney we will just need the monorail pass. Lots of moving pieces....pun intended lol

I have an app that I’ve been practicing with. It shows which trains are the best to take for your route and what color they are/where they are located at. It even shows who the train is run by

So I am on my way to Staples. Have 6 30% Chase offers plus my Amex. Would like to use them all today, Staples is not very close to us. Is there a best way to do this? Or do we just need to make 7 different purchases? Have never been to a Staples. Would like to buy all GCs, but will have DH with me so I’m sure he will find something to waste money on.

This is a sort of off topic post but may be useful to someone if you don't know already.

In November we drove to Disney. I forgot my Sun Pass and hadn't added my van to it anyway, but didn't expect to be using toll roads.

The day we left, I 4 was sort of backed up a bit so I headed for 417 and then used the sun pass lanes, fully intending to add the van to my account as soon as I got to my hotel that night. Turns out I forgot and didn't give it a thought until I noticed my ez pass replenishment that happened this morning. I had used a 40 cent toll road yesterday.

Anyway, Central Florida started accepting EZ pass Sep 1, 2018, so my tolls went on that. Their toll booth says 'E pass' which didn't register as using ez pass for me. I didn't figure it out until I got a replenishment notice and looked at my account today.

Perhaps this will help someone driving in Florida who doesn't yet know or maybe even with a rental car.

Finally! They've been talking about adding interoperability with EZPass for years and it just kept getting pushed back. I had forgotten again. Now to see when SunPass becomes interoperable. (but we don't head south of Orlando much so that's not as big a deal. we've managed to find non-toll roads for those trips so it's probably better anyway :))

I'm back from Edinburgh (aka The Pajamas trip!). BA First was very nice-I think we had one of the "mixed fleet" crews meaning young, enthusiastic and not paid well. They were sweet and helpful (all wore reindeer antler headbands and the purser had on an ugly Christmas sweater since it was Christmas Day) albeit not super smooth. The food was meh, but I'm super picky and eat like a toddler :), but the dedicated overhead bin was very nice, as was having a little storage locker, pajamas and holiday entertainment (yes, I watched The Holiday and was super disappointed Love Actually wasn't available).

Things I wish I had known- dedicated overhead bin meant we could have done carryon only (although the LHR security guy confiscated and threw out my contact wetting solution of 105 ml-TSA and every other security person has allowed it since it's medically necessary for gas perm contacts but you know, Heathrow agents :sad1:) AND the pajamas run super small. I was fairly comfortable in the M that DH gave me for my S-he has a 30 in waist at 53 and said they were "snug" so next time I'll ask for a larger size! We were sent to the Galleries Club which is the business level (not the super nice first club that calypso has discussed- I was too annoyed with losing my wetting solution to look for it honestly) and it was chaotic and busy. Not impressive at all.

Our flight to EDI was quick and we were served another meal since we were in BA Business but honestly we didn't need any more food!

The Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa is my go-to hotel in Edinburgh. It's a very short downhill walk to Princes Street, across from the Castle and gardens. We stay on the Club Lounge level so we have breakfast and a light dinner in the lounge as well as access to Escape at One area (which is essentially like the Rainforest Room on DCL) but with an outdoor jacuzzi that is amazing, especially when it's cold outside, and a couple of new areas since our last visit.
The Escape at One is 75 pounds/pp/day so although our room was about 90 pound/day more than a regular room, we were able to save money on meals and Escape at One, so feel that it's worth it (to us). While we did visit the Christmas Markets near the castle gardens, we basically ate, went to the gym and spa, and watched game shows. It was completely relaxing and a wonderful way to end the year.

We flew back on Delta in Delta One on one of their older planes and the service wasn't nearly as good (tbh I sent two complaints to Delta about minor things on this flight and the subsequent one) then First from JFK to ATL. That was not a great experience (delays, confusion and general what the heck is going on for 2 hours) and I'm definitely glad I didn't do a mileage run to keep my Platinum Sky Medallion status. I did appreciate being upgraded for both of our PNS-ATL flights but not enough to tolerate the Team Delta Only mentality.

I was impressed with BA First and will fly them again. I still love the Sheraton (although they did transition from coke to pepsi products with the merger-boo) and I now want to spend another holiday period in Edinburgh. I'm glad I'm a free agent with airlines since I was not impressed with Delta service over New Year's Eve. I still have 4 or 5 flights with them but I'm definitely not as loyal.

And...my points for this stay have already posted-37,638 PLUS whatever I earn from the SPG Lux that I used to pay. The Lux $300 credit is pending but pretty sure that covers one spa treatment and a pedicure:)

Last edited:
Happy New Year!
SWA Companion Pass: DH and I applied (separately) for the business cards on 12/27. We have a legitimate business. He was immediately accepted and I was put into review status. He then applied for the Rapid Rewards Plus card and was put into review status. I didn't apply for the 2nd card.
I know all the rules and we meet all of them. I canceled my SWA card over 100 days ago to prepare to open these. What could be the issue? Is only 1 card allowed per business and I have to be an authorized person on his card? I called Chase and was told my application is still in review and I will be notified with a decision in 10 business days. I didn't opt to speak to anyone because I don't want to draw attention, I guess. Should I not apply for the Plus card until the status is determined on the business card? This is just frustrating.

Hi...want to make sure I understand how you both applied for the business cards..did you each apply with your own name and SS numbers as the business name and EIN

A lot of Chase business card applications are not automatically approved, so yours isn’t unusual...what exactly does the status line say..7-10 days usually means denial or the need more information....2 weeks usually means approval

Don’t apply for the plus card until your business application is approved.....and wait at least a day to apply, if you can wait longer even better

On your husbands personal application, how long did you wait to apply after the business approval...

Happy New Year!
  • Did your husband apply for both cards on the same day?
  • Did you call the automated status line for his personal application? If so, what status was given for that?
  • It sounds like you called the automated status line for your business application? You said 10 days...but that isn't a message we're aware of. Do you mean that it said notified in 7-10 days?
If you haven't been following, it is NOT recommended to have one person apply for 2 Chase cards on the same day anymore. You did make the right call to apply for business cards first. However, you now don't want to apply for 2 on the same day and for some people it has resulted in denials or additional scrutiny in getting approved. It would be a better strategy to space them out by a day or more IMO. Unless you planned to hit the MSR (min. spend requirement) immediately, why not space them out a little more even? At this point I would wait for your business card to be decisioned before doing anything else.

It sounds like you are attempting to obtain 2 companion passes, that's awesome!
  • The Biz card would result in 63k points (60 + 3)
  • A personal card if approved would result in 41k points (40 + 1).
Just for sake of discussion, what is your strategy to earn the additional 6k points to reach 110k? Good luck on getting your CPs!

Alright, turning the experts here. I'm usually good with legalese, but I'm not wrapping my brain around this one from Marriott. I'm either overthinking it or it's just not as clear as they thought.

We made Platinum just a few weeks ago and won't be making it again anytime soon. I was thinking to use the 5 elite night credit from the Platinum Annual Credit Benefit to help keep Gold status for next year. We only need 10 nights on top of the CC so we may make it anyway, but this would guarantee it. Except I'm getting confused on the last bit of the T&C for the benefit:

Elite Nights that are awarded to an eligible Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Member as the Member's Annual Choice Benefit will be awarded in the Eligible Status Year for which the Elite Nights were earned, regardless of when the Member selects the Five Elite Night Credits as his/her Annual Choice Benefit. For the avoidance of doubt, the Eligible Calendar Year in which the Annual Choice Benefit is earned is the Eligible Calendar Year for which the Elite Nights will be credited toward earning Elite membership status.
Since we earned the 50 nights to make Platinum in 2018, does that last bit mean that they'd retroactively award the nights onto 2018?? That's how I'm reading it right now so that would mean we couldn't pick another benefit until another 50 nights are earned.

I wasn't in a rush to select anything as I thought it'd all apply to the calendar year you used it in. So since I had earned Platinum for next year (well, this year now, 2019) I could pick my benefit then and have it apply to that year. But it kinda sounds like that's not going to work. Anyone have any thoughts?
Can you call the Elite line? I just realized that we are in the same situation.

Question for those of you who have had an acct with PNC-

Is it pretty easy to transfer money from PNC back to your main acct? We don’t have branches around here so I’ll have my direct deposit sent to PNC and then online transfer the money back to Chase(my main bank)
I find capital one is very easy where as Citizens Bank sucks for transfers bc they change a fee to move money to another bank.

Yep, no fees for either inbound or outbound transfers that I've seen. For Citizens I always pulled the money out from another account. Can't wait to close that guy in a few days (just waiting for the last pull to make it $0) I'm going to try to close by SM but if they ask why, that's my reason - you're the only bank I know that charges for outbound transfers :p

Yes, I was hoping for the same thing but it didn't happen. So now I'm running over to Lowes to do the 30% offer and Staples is right across the street.

I love split stays when I'm traveling solo! I'm always driving so it's super easy. But with family along, sometimes it is not quite as much fun. We had a one day in November at Poly prior to moving to BWV and it worked fine, but there was a little tension when I wanted DD and kids to go straight to MK while I went and did the check in at BWV. Compromise was reached and we split the kids, but by the time I returned to MK, they were ready to leave although they did have a great time, dgd3 rode teacups for the first time. Meanwhile, DGD2 was asleep in the stroller with me. I'm still glad we did the one night as DD really liked the studio set up at Poly and we used to do most of our trips in Poly concierge back in the day so it was nice to relive it a bit. And this studio worked well, whereas we need a one bedroom at BWV for the same set of 4 people. A studio will work but we are at the point where we 'want' a one bedroom.

And the 4 cans of soda - its amazing what I've also justified in the past! 4 cans of soda for $18.04? You can get those 4 a lot cheaper elsewhere but you are at Disney, so that's our standard :). My favorite is when I buy the mug and then use it maybe 3 times, but I like the mugs and just threw about a dozen into the box going to Goodwill.
I have to head to Staples again. Maybe Friday after work. The 30% has about 3 weeks left, but I should probably jump on it and use it because another can come up at any moment. lol

Aren't splits great? I can see how involving young children would make them more complicated. Glad yours still worked out. As a party of all adults we made our last transfer day an easy morning. Slept in, got breakfast at the resort, packed up, and transferred to our new resort via Minnie Van. Our room was ready and we settled in and then had a dinner show at night. Next trip we are transferring to GF CL so I will make sure we get there for breakfast offerings to help offset that $18.04 haha We also plan on utilizing all the offerings except dessert one night and the 5-7 food another night.

It is crazy how Disney desensitizes us to certain things like food prices. I personally refuse to buy soda bottles or individual drinks because of how expensive it is. I usually stuff a few from the grocery store 6-packs in my checked bag and use them if I need. I will buy the little 8 packs of water from the gift shop with the AP discount because I can't take the tap water and need some little bottles around the room for allergy medication. It comes to about $3.50 for 8 little bottles which isn't too terrible (but nothing compared to almost 40 bottles from Costco for almost the same price). I am 100% a mug person though. I drink enough carbonated beverages that I do think I actually make my money back to justify it for a week long trip. That mug comes with me everywhere. I will stop in every resort QS if I have a sec and am passing by just to help just offset the cost.

Can you call the Elite line? I just realized that we are in the same situation.

Yeah, I think that's what we'll do and see how it goes. I have to wait for hubby to call since it's his account. I've let him know and I'll be pushing for that this week if he doesn't call today.

Looking for thoughts...

I was planning on using UR points for ILs flights with SW, so we could take advantage of price changes/flexibility. The downside of this, is that I know my ILs will not track points or pay attention to when the points would expire... so basically, I'd hate to move the full amount over in URs today and then the price drops and they have a random amount of RR points which are basically useless as they won't use them, when those points could have gone towards other things on their trip. Now, DH should get his CP points this month... My thought was that I would just use those points towards ILs flights, monitor changes, then at the end reimburse DHs account for whatever the flights end up being.

Sooooo... I know to book each direction separately. But if I'm booking three people... I'll do DHs separate, but do ILs each get their own reservation too? Or do I put them together. Curious how others handle when they have multiple adults to book on SW.

Looking for thoughts...

I was planning on using UR points for ILs flights with SW, so we could take advantage of price changes/flexibility. The downside of this, is that I know my ILs will not track points or pay attention to when the points would expire... so basically, I'd hate to move the full amount over in URs today and then the price drops and they have a random amount of RR points which are basically useless as they won't use them, when those points could have gone towards other things on their trip. Now, DH should get his CP points this month... My thought was that I would just use those points towards ILs flights, monitor changes, then at the end reimburse DHs account for whatever the flights end up being.

Sooooo... I know to book each direction separately. But if I'm booking three people... I'll do DHs separate, but do ILs each get their own reservation too? Or do I put them together. Curious how others handle when they have multiple adults to book on SW.

usually book everyone separate, since I watch for pice drops and sometimes there is only 1 seat available at the lower price....But we don’t care if we board the plane together....
Would your in-laws be upset if their boarding passes weren’t back to back numbers...if so ,maybe book both on the same reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter