I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:offtopic: Kind of. I saw a post by Gary Leff at VftW that UAE is going to require advance approval of prescription medications for anyone (tourists and residents) there. I've seen some chatter on this board about visiting UAE regarding (un)acceptable PDA and drinking; this is another requirement to be aware of. Tagging @calypso726 since you mentioned going to Al Maha; don't know if this would even apply to you but you're the only one I know of planning on heading over there.

Thank you for the heads up! I did happen to catch that one from him today. I suppose I will have to register my asthma inhaler, so I guess it applies to me. DH and I have already discussed refraining from any PDA just to be on the safe side too.

Not that it's a big deal but Citi Travel doesn't always have the access to all rooms/room types. So if you happen to be picky about where you sleep :guilty: the 4th night free may or may not work out for you. The only place I stay for more than 2 or 3 nights is in Edinburgh and I have what one might say very specific rooms I prefer. Sadly, they were never available through citi travel so no free night for me. Just a psa from room diva here :)

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. I do have a specific room type in mind for Ashford Castle when the time comes. Looks like I may wind up going with Amex FHR after all.

So, I got my 100K points on the SPG Lux (yay!) and the 20K UR referral bonus for DW's CIP (double yay!). Now I'm contemplating my next move, and thinking of going for one (or both?) of the Barclay's AA cards before 10/31 to get the 60K miles for one purchase.

Does Barclay's have any rules similar to Chase's 5/24? I am 4/24 for personal cards; my last card was SPG Lux which I applied for on 8/24 so it's been exactly 2 months. Could I apply for both the business and personal versions of the AA card, or will Barclay's not approve both? I've never had a card from them before, and don't want any red flags with them because I also want the JetBlue card and the Arrival+ if I can get it. I'm not in immediate need of AA miles but figure 60K miles for one purchase is too good to pass up!

Any advice/info/DPs on Barclay's & their AA cards is appreciated.

Yes I am applying too. I was denied recently for having too many recent inquiries. (I only had 2) I was thinking he might have a better shot than I do at the next card. He is totally on board for business cards, they make me a little nervous. I've been reading up on them but still find it stressful.
Dh was leary of business cards too until I told him I’ll take care of everything. He sells some things on Facebook but that’s about it. He now has two business cards.

Just had my folks over for a family dinner and I told my dad about the 8% off BJ's Disney GC deal. They are going down to WDW with us in March and will be staying at the GF. He was willing to let me buy $4k of these cards on my CSR since they aren't really into CC points. A few days ago I had no trouble buying $1650 so I know they aren't really enforcing the 3 card limit. Should I just go for it and put the $4k in my cart right now or is there a reason I should do $2k tonight and hope the deal is around after that order has shipped and do another $2k then? I'd love to get the spend (and points) and my dad would love to save about $320. What do you all think?
I want to say it’s 750 and more requires a signature. Lately I’ve just gone in Bc of the coupons.

I'm sorry I keep posting about this...I just am getting analysis paralysis. I'll try and keep it short.

Would you rather:
1) Apply for the Business Green Rewards card and the petite 5k MR bonus for a very easy MSR, in the hopes that you can later pull an elevated 75k offer for the Business Gold Rewards, OR
2) Apply for the Business Gold Rewards card and the current 50k offer? I don't want to miss out on a free $250. If you call to match a higher offer, do you do so after applying?

Either one would be my first-ever Amex product. I find the 75k links but can't log in to actually apply for them. Decisions!

Last edited:

I'm sorry I keep posting about this...I just am getting analysis paralysis. I'll try and keep it short.

Would you rather:
1) Apply for the Business Green Rewards card and the petite 5k MR bonus for a very easy MSR, in the hopes that you can later pull an elevated 75k offer for the Business Gold Rewards, OR
2) Apply for the Business Gold Rewards card and the current 50k offer? I don't want to miss out on a free $250. If you call to match a higher offer, do you do so after applying?

Either one would be my first-ever Amex product. I find the 75k links but can't log in to actually apply for them. Decisions!
Seeing as this is your first Amex I’d go ahead grab the green if it’s what appeals to you after the gold. Once in a lifetime makes biz gold hard to hit at 50k, if you need 50k MRs in the next couple months take the biz gold but if you can wait I’d prob wait.

Amex doesn’t match. If the moon & stars align a CSR might throw some courtesy points your way.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, I could use some pork roll (a Jersey thing) and BJs has my favorite brand.
Thought process:
“Some WHAT?! Oh. Dear. Lord.”
*this Californian hits up Google*
“Huh, made in 1856. So basically more legit than SPAM. Learn something new everyday!”
H/t @andy117 When I get the chance to try pork roll I certainly shall!

Last edited:
So, I got my 100K points on the SPG Lux (yay!) and the 20K UR referral bonus for DW's CIP (double yay!). Now I'm contemplating my next move, and thinking of going for one (or both?) of the Barclay's AA cards before 10/31 to get the 60K miles for one purchase.

Does Barclay's have any rules similar to Chase's 5/24? I am 4/24 for personal cards; my last card was SPG Lux which I applied for on 8/24 so it's been exactly 2 months. Could I apply for both the business and personal versions of the AA card, or will Barclay's not approve both? I've never had a card from them before, and don't want any red flags with them because I also want the JetBlue card and the Arrival+ if I can get it. I'm not in immediate need of AA miles but figure 60K miles for one purchase is too good to pass up!

For sure if you want A+ you need to prioritize that one. It kinda has a 6/24 rule. I would not count on being able to get more than 2 Barclays cards as they really seem to be tightening up so make a list with what you want the most up top.

I’ve been reading about Amex getting upset with people making PayPal payments during the MSR period. Does this apply only to “friends & family” payments? Can I buy something from a merchant & pay with PayPal without making Amex angry?

Yes, PayPal payments to merchants are fine and count towards Amex MSR.

PayPal P2P payments to friends & family are fine too and typically don’t pose a problem with counting towards Amex MSR. I’ve made donations to my daughter’s school/pto with my Amex while trying to meet MSR using the friends & family option (to avoid the recipient incurring the fees), and the payments counted towards MSR, with no problem from the RATs.

The only instance I’ve seen Amex RATs have a problem with PayPal P2P payments is when you use PayPal to pay someone who shares the same address as you.

Ok so it’s late and my brain it’s thinking math. Is the bjs 8% off and freedom a better deal than the Best Buy sb

I’d say BBY+SB+CF is a better deal but it’s more of a PITA.

BBY+SB+CF: Buying a $100 GC gets you 750 SB in ~2 days and another 200 SB in a few weeks, worth $9.50 or 9.5% when cashed out, but you can only do this once a day at $100 increments to maximize the deal. Paying with Chase Pay gets you 5x UR, worth ~5-7.5%.

BJ’s is 8% off DGCs upfront and another 5x UR using CF’s warehouse clubs bonus category.

Seeing as this is your first Amex I’d go ahead grab the green if it’s what appeals to you after the gold. Once in a lifetime makes biz gold hard to hit at 50k, if you need 50k MRs in the next couple months take the biz gold but if you can wait I’d prob wait.

Amex doesn’t match. If the moon & stars align a CSR might throw some courtesy points your way.

Sounds good...Oh wait! I'm looking at the SPG business card, which I've never paid much attention to before. 100k points, looks like I can redeem them for a stay at Marriott properties, including some off-site properties at Disneyland...this seems like a no-brainer. I think I'm going to go for it tomorrow night...stop me if it's a bad idea!

(sorry for the whiplash @gottalovepluto! Maybe I can apply for the BGR too in a week or so?)

I’d say BBY+SB+CF is a better deal but it’s more of a PITA.

BBY+SB+CF: Buying a $100 GC gets you 750 SB in ~2 days and another 200 SB in a few weeks, worth $9.50 or 9.5% when cashed out, but you can only do this once a day at $100 increments to maximize the deal. Paying with Chase Pay gets you 5x UR, worth ~5-7.5%.

BJ’s is 8% off DGCs upfront and another 5x UR using CF’s warehouse clubs bonus category.
Thanks I’ll do my shopping then use the rest at bb. Dvc dues are coming up and we have another trip coming up so need to save up again.

I got 0 points for Marriott today, just a Thank you for playing - you have entered for a chance to win. On the plus side, my account finally didn't' get an error but my account is still at 0 points for the whole dumb game.
Well I received 0 points today. It’s a 1:2 chance for the 50 points. I’d love to get the 20000 points

Who knows.

Barclays is known to enforce a soft 6/24 rule if they don't want to extend you credit. If you're under 6/24 (as in your case), they may still cite too many inquiries. How many is too many? No one really knows. Barclays is a mystery.

I can say Barclays is very unlikely to approve 2 cards on the same day or even within a few days of each other. I'm not sure I would spend a 5/24 slot on the AA personal, so I'd recommend going for the AA biz first. No one knows how many Barclays cards you can hold at once. I've seen DPs of 4. I have 3. If you want the AA, JB, and A+, I would go for the AA biz first since that offer is ending at the end of the month. Get that, put spend on it (not just the initial purchase to get the bonus, but real ongoing spend, at least some every month), wait a couple of months, and go for the Arrival+. The one thing we do know about Barclays is they strongly value ongoing spend once you have a card, moreso than any other issuer.

Thanks I’ll do my shopping then use the rest at bb. Dvc dues are coming up and we have another trip coming up so need to save up again.

I was planning on meeting the CIC MSR by purchasing Disney GC at Staples....but now think I’m going to use P2 CSP to buy Disney GC at BJs with the 8% off to go towards the MSR on it....doing the math I come out ahead with BJs ....just need the card to arrive before the 8% goes away

Thought process:
“Some WHAT?! Oh. Dear. Lord.”
*this Californian hits up Google*
“Huh, made in 1856. So basically more legit than SPAM. Learn something new everyday!”
H/t @andy117 When I get the chance to try pork roll I certainly shall!

Go figure, I knew pork roll was a regional thing but I thought by now people knew of it - kinda like scrapple. But I guess some stuff doesn't get the notoriety of others.
Pork roll is almost a staple, I'm gonna have such a hard time moving if people don't at least have pork roll :p I moved to the middle of the state for college and went through soft pretzel withdrawal, and I looked it up once, a few of my favorite brands are totally regional. I told hubby there were only 26 states we could consider moving to until they expand their footprint or start shipping out of state :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter