I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some help with a coding issue. I used my new CIP to put down a deposit on a trip I'm taking with a friend next year that is through a university travel study program. The CIP only coded 1x rather than 3x for travel. I sent a SM message that it was travel but they sent back the form excuse of "we're dependent on how the merchant codes it," yada yada. Any tips as to what to write back to get it reconsidered? Any way to avoid something like this in the future? Really frustrating!

Anybody else try the costco visa checkout deal today? Get a $50 statement credit WYS $250 at costco online and use visa checkout. I just bought $250 worth of costco cash cards. We'll see what happens. Seems like a low risk, high reward opportunity.
https://www.costco.com/visa-checkout.html
ends 3/28
was going to post in the dischurners redditt forum but didn't know where to post.

I did it! Agree it's low risk to try it. I also just bought a cash card.

This is the best place to post deals like this. We keep this kind of chatter here :)

Anybody else try the costco visa checkout deal today? Get a $50 statement credit WYS $250 at costco online and use visa checkout. I just bought $250 worth of costco cash cards. We'll see what happens. Seems like a low risk, high reward opportunity.
https://www.costco.com/visa-checkout.html
ends 3/28
was going to post in the dischurners redditt forum but didn't know where to post.
Pretty much all the discussion is here. We use DISchurners for keeping track of useful tips/tools (i.e. long term type stuff) as well as the support links :)

Skimmed all the pages from the weekend - sounds like everyone has lots of fun travel in the works.

I just killed a little chunk of my MSR for my SPG with a fun purchase - season ticket renewal to our local theater because HAMILTON is coming here in 2018. Total extortion - in order to buy additional tickets in the pre-sale, you have to pay for your season tickets plus an additional donation to the theater... but - I am not throwin' away my shot.

And I'm not giving up any UR points or anything by using my SPG Biz, so good timing for this purchase! Hopefully the advanced ticket sale for Hamilton will also fall before my MSR period is over - going to pick up some additional tickets because everyone I know wants to see this show (and my kids are already lobbying to be able to go twice - not sure that is going to happen!) So excited that the show is coming to us - now we just have to wait for it...
I just have to say I truly appreciated the Hamilton lyrics so cleverly placed in this post! :music:

Looking for some help with a coding issue. I used my new CIP to put down a deposit on a trip I'm taking with a friend next year that is through a university travel study program. The CIP only coded 1x rather than 3x for travel. I sent a SM message that it was travel but they sent back the form excuse of "we're dependent on how the merchant codes it," yada yada. Any tips as to what to write back to get it reconsidered? Any way to avoid something like this in the future? Really frustrating!

That sounds like such a borderline case; it could either code as travel, or education, or something totally different. In the future, you could try to look up the merchant by its MCC (merchant category code) on the Visa Supplier Locator site: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp. This should hopefully give you some certainty how a particular merchant codes on Visa cards.

If it’s a sizeable charge, you could press your case that you had a reasonable belief that a “travel study program” would count as “travel,” and if that’s not actually the case it wasn’t made clear to you, and ask if Chase could extend you a courtesy — as a long time and valued customer — by crediting you the points this one time. If you don’t have any luck the first time, try a few more times. I’ve read some success stories of one time courtesy adjustments.

Good luck!

Skimmed all the pages from the weekend - sounds like everyone has lots of fun travel in the works.

I just killed a little chunk of my MSR for my SPG with a fun purchase - season ticket renewal to our local theater because HAMILTON is coming here in 2018. Total extortion - in order to buy additional tickets in the pre-sale, you have to pay for your season tickets plus an additional donation to the theater... but - I am not throwin' away my shot.

And I'm not giving up any UR points or anything by using my SPG Biz, so good timing for this purchase! Hopefully the advanced ticket sale for Hamilton will also fall before my MSR period is over - going to pick up some additional tickets because everyone I know wants to see this show (and my kids are already lobbying to be able to go twice - not sure that is going to happen!) So excited that the show is coming to us - now we just have to wait for it...

Our local theater announced Hamilton coming in 2018/2019 during the 2016/2017 season and said the season ticket holders would have to renew their 2017/2018 season tickets in order to be part of the subscribers for season tickets in 2018/2019! Sure enough, there were no subscriptions available for this season and there is a wait list. I did early renewal each time just to be safe! I am in the same boat as you and have lots of friends and family that want to see it with us. Heck, I want to see it while it is here multiple times. Hopefully, the timing will work out and I've got a new card to make MSR. I was fine with the extortion but what really made me upset was after the season ticket holders renewed, we found out when we got our packets that there would be NO pre-sale tickets available to subscribers for Hamilton. Now, I will be fighting the rest of the mob when tickets go on sale for extra tickets.
So not what I expected ... talk about - The world turned upside down.

what would these points be worth? 15k points for 15k spend? that seems like a lot of spend for a few points(?) what am I missing on the excitement here?

I know you got the answer which was the yearly bonus which isn't what I'm excited about. There is only one valuable variable points earning card that has AA as a transfer partner and that is SPG. Having another variable points earning card that has AA as a transfer partner, among other airlines and may have bonus categories too is very exciting for me. I am an AA hostage and I just depleted our AA miles balances by 690,000 miles. Need. More. AA. Miles.

Wowww @calypso726
Thank you sooooooo much for your detailed AA points usage. I am thinking that I should get the Citi card after I get 1 chase UR earning card.
From Bos to GRU I can get the 30k saver awards - so one card could get me almost 2 free RT tickets . Since the kids are still little we are very flexible with dates!

You're welcome. Remember that the 30k saver award is each way so you need 60K per person. I'd wait to see what Barclay releases in the next week.

Idk, the arrival plus was hard to grab in the last 6 months as barclay instituted a 6/24 rule just for that card..

Crossing fingers things will be a little more lenient with their new venture into variable points.

@calypso726 I absolutely agree with you on the love of the Reserve. I know it was not the popular plan for people on here but it has a ton of value for us. Both DH and I have kept the Reserve past year one.

I know the advantage of the IHG is the free night but what about the points? It seems that whenever I have looked for rooms on their site that point nights are not available. Is that typical or has my limited experience been abnormal?

No idea to be honest. I do read the bloggers raving about the points break nights. I have yet to use any of the points. I am hoarding them for trips to Bora Bora and Moorea. DH wants over-water bungalows. Between IHG and Hilton I will have those covered.

I did it! Agree it's low risk to try it. I also just bought a cash card.

This is the best place to post deals like this. We keep this kind of chatter here :)
Do you all think this is okay to buy on the CIP card? I am working on the MSR and I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble with Chase, LOL. Why do you all say it's low risk?

Did you set them all to be sent on the same date?
Yes, when I set them up, I had to pick a date from the calendar and the first available date was April 2nd for all of the payments. I just checked again and my first one has not been sent. I got the email from them saying it was processed successfully and they would send a check. It showed up on my CIP as a pending charge. Is there a chance they will "accept it" and later they decide they will not send it? This is the first time I have used plastiq so uncharted territory for me?

Chiropractor doesn't take Amex and the doctor I'm seeing Monday doesn't either, so MSR to the side, CFU for the win :D :P

Sorry couldn't resist after the weekends conversation :-) Oh look a squirrel :squirrel:. Never noticed before it's next to the previous smiley, so cute.

Do you all think this is okay to buy on the CIP card? I am working on the MSR and I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble with Chase, LOL. Why do you all say it's low risk?

Yes, 100% fine to buy using your CIP. Just make sure you go through Visa Checkout.

It's low risk to me because I shop Costco anyways. So, if I don't get the $50 credit, the $250 Costco GC is something I can easily use. Hopefully the credit comes through but they may try to argue that GC's are excluded. I took a screen shot of the T&C's.

Sitting here in the Centurion Lounge at SFO, enjoying a hot plate of piment fennel crusted chicken and seasonal vegetables (so good!) and an iced tea, waiting for our flight to SNA. There’s even cookies! Disneyland tomorrow!

Are you flying out of terminal 3 where the lounge is? We were thinking about doing this in June, but we are flying SW, so debating if we want to criss-cross between terminals to do so...:confused3 but sounds like we should since we have a late flight and dinner would be fab:hyper:

So chase did not match the 100k offer. I would have to go to the bank to get a business relationship manager,but I do not want to risk any flags going up on my business so i take what i have. On other good news, my amex still not on my credit report yet so i am still under 5/24 so I am planning my next card.

Hi everyone! If there's somewhere else I should post this question please let me know...still learning about how to levy credit card points to save on travel!

I've got a goal to spend 10 days in Disney and Universal in early May 2020 for an important birthday. I'd like to do it all or mostly on points so I can save other travel funds for places we haven't been already. Thankfully I've got a good runway to rack up lots and lots of points! Can anyone tell me approximately how many Chase UR points I would need to book 5 nights at a Disney resort (deluxe, mod, or value, or the Swan/Dolphin) as well as theme park tickets, all through the Chase portal? Any info on the same amount of points needed for a 3-night stay at Universal? I'm planning to try for the Southwest Companion Pass to cover our flights as we live near a Southwest hub. Currently I only have my little old Visa credit card I've had forever - very basic and with my regular bank. I'm doing all my research before I jump in and start signing up for cards left and right. I'd ask this on the r/churners subreddit but I'm a bit nervous as they are less friendly there to newbies :/

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I thought I would chime in since I have some similar travel plans, only a little sooner. We are looking at Universal Studios, staying onsite there for a week in October. We are also trying to do as much with UR points as possible. I don't think we are doing Disney this trip but we did a Disney trip via points last fall.

As others mentioned, you can look at Expedia to get an idea of what costs will be. Since I have a spread sheet open right now with the numbers, I can tell you that a 3 day, 2 Park, Park to Park is 23828 points. The 2 Day 2 Park PTP is 19093. You can get these straight from the Ultimate Rewards site, no need to call. We do plan to upgrade to APs when we get there.

We are a family of six and are planning to stay at Cabana Bay in a suite. It will be 11,318 per night. It is 9,000ish for a regular room at CB. This is all through my CIP, so a little better redemption than CF or CFU but not as good as CSR (which I am probably going to try for before we redeem, so we can get more for our points). Disney hotels run from 13,000/nt for a room at All Stars to 50/60,000/nt and up for deluxe.

We each have two SW cards and CP, our tickets are booked. I am about 2/3 of the way through MSR on my CIP and will have 80,000 UR (plus what I get from spending) and then plan to refer DH to CIP for 100,000 UR (20,000 for my referral and 80,000 for his bonus). And then I am thinking about double dipping the CSP/CSR even though the spend makes me nervous. The new CIC bonus makes things interesting as well, so we could possibly change things. Anyway, then I would refer DH eventually to whatever cards I get. This won't all happen for our October trip but we will have our hotel covered and hopefully most of our tickets.

Last edited:
DoC did a write up on the/a new IHG Premier Club card: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/details-of-new-chase-ihg-rewards-club-premier-card/

Follows on other programs by giving a 4th night free and the rest are like other credit card benefits like credit for TSA precheck/GE, bonus points for AU, No FTF, etc

For me, I hope they keep the current card alongside because I wouldn't benefit from most of the increased benefits. I don't spend $20k on cards in a year, we don't often stay more than 3 nights in one place, and by the time my GE is up I'm sure I'll have another card that gives the same. So I have my fingers crossed they don't devalue the $49 card and I get to keep my current benies :)

I haven’t had any luck with paying dining at DW. It codes as 1x but then if you cancel and you get refunded it codes as 3x. Had to call chase now on the CIP and CSR for the same problem. They have to researched it and eventually credit me the points back but the original charges are only going through as 1x. Good luck getting them to change it

Yes, 100% fine to buy using your CIP. Just make sure you go through Visa Checkout.

It's low risk to me because I shop Costco anyways. So, if I don't get the $50 credit, the $250 Costco GC is something I can easily use. Hopefully the credit comes through but they may try to argue that GC's are excluded. I took a screen shot of the T&C's.
Okay, I get it. Thanks. The same applies to me. Easy to got through 250 at Costco, LOL. I will set up Visa Checkout. Also where do I find the cash cards? I just looked through the categories and didn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter