I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw Disneyland Hotel has a high chance of being a "meh" to bad experience from the end of this summer through the next couple years. The construction on the new hotel is supposed to start this summer (last rumor I saw said late summer) so everything from ESPN zone to the monorail line will be demolished and they will build the new hotel there. No one knows exactly how that will affect the guest experience at DLH. The entire project is slated to take 5 years but the first couple years of demo and foundation building and building the skeleton of the building are certainly going to be loud.

I didn’t think the new hotel would cause problems, but yeah that does not sound fun.

Me and my SO were in the same situation as you. We were either going to go back to WDW this year or take a cruise, but we decided to go all out and go to Tokyo this year with a couple nights at/near Tokyo Disney. We've also been to WDW twice within the past 12 months and go to Disneyland even more since we are only a 4 hour drive away in Vegas. We both really love Disney, and we haven't been to any of the overseas parks yet so it seemed like the right choice.

I really would love to go to the foreign parks. My SO is picky and needs me to get at least business class for longer flights, so it’s going to take some time. I feel like I should just save the points.

I need to book one night at the MCO Hyatt. Do I do 12,000 or the 6,000 + $75? What the better deal? Cash price is $228+ taxes?

I can’t believe I booked a Disney trip! Another question, we only have the CSP, would it be worth it to transfer it over to Chase travel and pay with points? Or buy Disney gift card using chase pay at Best Buy? Did I miss that Best Buy promo from earlier this week?

We need more to help. Do you have Hyatt points? If so do you have other plans for the points?

Or are you looking to cover this with UR points from your CSP to cover the stay? If that's the case you can:
Transfer 12,000 UR to Hyatt = 12,000 UR
Transfer 6,000 UR + use 7,5000 UR to cover cash = 13,500 UR
Book on UR portal for $228 is approx 18,500 UR = 18,500 UR

There is no Chase Pay deal at Best Buy right now.

BB promo is still live but last I saw the $15 codes stopped coming through instantly so you'll have to wait until mid-March for the $15 code (how it was supposed to work).

Just applies my husband for the cip through my referral. Got the 30day message. Ugh, I spent forever convincing him he does in fact have a real business. He consults on his colleagues grants and gets paid as 1099 incomes. Sometimes he has to travel to other universities to do this. He pays self employment tax and the travel is a business expense.

I really hope he doesn’t have to call recon

I got instant approval last summer on a cip with a “business”. I do some nutrition analysis for cookbooks, but don’t make a lot of money doing so.

We need more to help. Do you have Hyatt points? If so do you have other plans for the points?

Or are you looking to cover this with UR points from your CSP to cover the stay? If that's the case you can:
Transfer 12,000 UR to Hyatt = 12,000 UR
Transfer 6,000 UR + use 7,5000 UR to cover cash = 13,500 UR
Book on UR portal for $228 is approx 18,500 UR = 18,500 UR

There is no Chase Pay deal at Best Buy right now.

BB promo is still live but last I saw the $15 codes stopped coming through instantly so you'll have to wait until mid-March for the $15 code (how it was supposed to work).
I was planning on transferring UR points.

Thanks for the explanation, I think it might be best to transfer the 12k instead of doing points + cash.

I really would love to go to the foreign parks. My SO is picky and needs me to get at least business class for longer flights, so it’s going to take some time. I feel like I should just save the points.

I would save them if I were you. I stayed at both the DLH and GCH with the Dapper Day group rate and thought they were great, but wouldn't pay anywhere near rack rate for them. There are so many great hotels on Harbor. I'm all about saving points/$$$ for more trips.

Why not save for business class fares? Some of the best redemptions with points are for business class seats.

I did it! I couldn't pass up the offer... the girls will miss a week of school - oh well.

When are you going? I have never gotten a pin code ever. I think its because I'm already DVC.

But, people whom I've carried to Disney whose names were on my reservation have gotten codes.

I was rethinking this. Does it have to be either/or? Can't you buy BB gift cards at Kroger during 4x fuel points then use those with the Swagbucks offer?

My Disney gift cards days are coming to an end and I'm not sure that you can do this more than once per week, but it's an interesting option.

I hadn't really thought of doing that, but it sounds like an added bonus for sure. We don't need Disney right now, so I would just need to make sure BB carries a gc we need (Kroger has a better selection I think). I've never used Swagbacks, so I need to go figure it out.

When are you going? I have never gotten a pin code ever. I think its because I'm already DVC.

But, people whom I've carried to Disney whose names were on my reservation have gotten codes.
May 7-11th... I have been getting pin codes for years, just never used them because the Military discount was always better.

I hadn't really thought of doing that, but it sounds like an added bonus for sure. We don't need Disney right now, so I would just need to make sure BB carries a gc we need (Kroger has a better selection I think). I've never used Swagbacks, so I need to go figure it out.
You can basically use it just like ebates and cash out for PayPal every $25.

I would save them if I were you. I stayed at both the DLH and GCH with the Dapper Day group rate and thought they were great, but wouldn't pay anywhere near rack rate for them. There are so many great hotels on Harbor. I'm all about saving points/$$$ for more trips.

Why not save for business class fares? Some of the best redemptions with points are for business class seats.

I really should save them. I have a problem, I feel like as soon as I get points I have to spend them lol. (I am not like this with real money, thankfully lol) I’m glad I heard some more reasonable feedback here and I’m 90% sure I won’t book the trip to world.

The hotels on Harbor look great and a lot are in walking distance. I was thinking about using Marriott points for one. My SO “needs” to stay at the Disneyland hotel once though. I’m a total on site snob when it comes to Disney world, but with Disneyland I don’t think it matters that much. He disagrees. He lets me apply for whatever cards I want for him so I will have to give him the Disneyland hotel eventually lol

Thanks for the explanation, I think it might be best to transfer the 12k instead of doing points + cash.

Here's a way to look at it. If you do cash and points, you're essentially purchasing your own points. That is, by paying $75, you're saving 6,000 chase points, which is the same as essentially purchasing 6,000 chase points for $75.

Except it's not really $75. Actually, it's $84.38, because you have to pay taxes on the $75 component. However, you also earn points for your stay if you go with cash and points -- 5 points per dollar, so you'll earn 375 Hyatt points. (Plus if you use your chase card to pay for the $84.38, you'll earn points on your credit card.)

Anyway, to make it simple, when netting all this out, you're essentially purchasing 6,000 chase points for about 1.35 cents per point, give or take a little, when you use points plus cash instead of points. How do you use your chase points? If you're usually redeeming them for 1.25 cents toward travel, then you shouldn't do it. If you exchange them for miles that you get better value out of, then it's worth it.

I find Chase to be an incredibly valuable currency, because of its flexibility. I value chase points closer to 1.75 cents per point. So, for me, I would never use 12,000 chase points when I could instead use 6,000 plus pay $84.38 -- I'd much rather have 6,000 chase points than $84.38.

I don't own a single UR (yet - hehe) but I think you chose the best option. @gottalovepluto, your response helped me understand UR's much better as I've been curious but kind of not paying attention as I'm not a collector yet.

May 7-11th... I have been getting pin codes for years, just never used them because the Military discount was always better.

That Military discount was wonderful when I qualified for it. And SOG wasn't bad either. But for me that was in another life.

I was asking dates because I booked mid March spur of the moment a few days ago. I checked all stars and such looking for one night and it was way more than I would pay for a value - but your rate, I would learn to love a Value in a heartbeat!

Here's a way to look at it. If you do cash and points, you're essentially purchasing your own points. That is, by paying $75, you're saving 6,000 chase points, which is the same as essentially purchasing 6,000 chase points for $75.

Except it's not really $75. Actually, it's $84.38, because you have to pay taxes on the $75 component. However, you also earn points for your stay if you go with cash and points -- 5 points per dollar, so you'll earn 375 Hyatt points. (Plus if you use your chase card to pay for the $84.38, you'll earn points on your credit card.)

Anyway, to make it simple, when netting all this out, you're essentially purchasing 6,000 chase points for about 1.35 cents per point, give or take a little, when you use points plus cash instead of points. How do you use your chase points? If you're usually redeeming them for 1.25 cents toward travel, then you shouldn't do it. If you exchange them for miles that you get better value out of, then it's worth it.

I find Chase to be an incredibly valuable currency, because of its flexibility. I value chase points closer to 1.75 cents per point. So, for me, I would never use 12,000 chase points when I could instead use 6,000 plus pay $84.38 -- I'd much rather have 6,000 chase points than $84.38.

Another learning opportunity for me! Thank you @lark!

That Military discount was wonderful when I qualified for it. And SOG wasn't bad either. But for me that was in another life.

I was asking dates because I booked mid March spur of the moment a few days ago. I checked all stars and such looking for one night and it was way more than I would pay for a value - but your rate, I would learn to love a Value in a heartbeat!
I didn’t even try the military rates this year, they have changed the discount structure ☹️ Just glad the salute park tickets are still being offered.

The hotels on Harbor look great and a lot are in walking distance. I was thinking about using Marriott points for one. My SO “needs” to stay at the Disneyland hotel once though. I’m a total on site snob when it comes to Disney world, but with Disneyland I don’t think it matters that much. He disagrees. He lets me apply for whatever cards I want for him so I will have to give him the Disneyland hotel eventually lol

Definitely try and plan around Dapper Days. The group rate is really good for both DLH and GCH.

You can basically use it just like ebates and cash out for PayPal every $25.

How did you know about the $5 bonus at BB? Is this available at other stores? I downloaded the app, and it wasn't immediately clear to me which stores have qr codes that can be scanned in store. Sorry - 20 questions. I always go through rebate portals online - not used to doing it in store.

How did you know about the $5 bonus at BB? Is this available at other stores? I downloaded the app, and it wasn't immediately clear to me which stores have qr codes that can be scanned in store. Sorry - 20 questions. I always go through rebate portals online - not used to doing it in store.
That is the only in store one I know about. They send me an email about this deal every week which is how I learned about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter