I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a sahm and I have more cards than my dh lol. I just lost my occupation as a homemaker and use household income.
See my sister will not believe me on this. Says she was denied a card. I'm thinking yea, she probably put income at 0 and not household income. I work part time, use household income and my current credit line with Chase is well over my personal income.

I see Disney tix and APs are set to increase. We were going to get APs later this year as ours have expired. Anyone have any tips on the best way to optimize that purchase?

Basically I would need discounted diney GCs by Saturday I think it is. Let me think....please help me think :) :scratchin
- I usually get them at Sams (but i don't have to)
- No costcos nearby
- I have CIP, CIC, both preferreds and freedom. Spg and mariott too but don't think those would help much. Any of those work for a good category bonus...
-CIC 5x at office stores, do they sell disney GCs, or walmart that would be even better but unlikely...hmmm...
-CSR, no gift cards, buy straight from disney with csr and it will code 3x for travel?
- Freedom...wonder if they do samsung pay at Sam's. Then I'd get 5x for that right? Or do gcs not count.
- ETA...were working on MS's for mariott and dh's personal SPG right now, we should be MS without this though.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm not new to saving money, but new to doing that by optimizing cc points and offers...any shove in the rignt direction is much appreciated.

Not sure if you're looking at WDW APs, but we've been Disneyland AP holders for years (not sure we'll renew when they next expire though), been through this dance, and what we'd do is lock in the current price if we can.

At least for Disneyland, you can buy an AP today (pre-price increase) on Disneyland .com or at a Disney Store but not have to activate it until the end of the year (and sometimes beyond), and your AP year starts on the activation date. As California residents, we usually weigh the likely price increase against whether it's worth it for us to lock in the current price by buying an AP in a lump sum or making monthly payments with no other interest or service charges.

Just a few quick thoughts on your points:
- Sam's sells Disney Gift Cards at a discount. You can use Walmart gift cards to buy Disney Gift Cards at Sam's. Others can chime in more about how to maximize this.
- You can buy a Walmart e-gift card directly from Walmart .com, checkout using Chase Pay with your Freedom to earn 5x UR under the mobile wallet category bonus. (Walmart .com is extremely finicky with e-gift card purchases and may cancel your order. You may have to chat with a customer service rep to unflag your account and get your orders through.) If/when you've maxed out the Freedom's $1,500 limit on 5x UR, you can buy Walmart e-gift cards from Gyft using the PayPal checkout option with your CIC to earn 5x UR (or 3x UR with the CIP through PayPal checkout). Take these Walmart gift cards to Sam's to buy Disney Gift Cards at a slightly marked down price.
- I've seen Disney Gift Cards at Staples and OD/OM, but YMMV. You'd be earning 5x UR but buying at face value, so it doesn't seem like as good a deal as buying Walmart GCs at 5x UR, then taking them to Sam's for a discount off face value. Yes, less trouble.
- Another option is Best Buy sells Disney Gift Cards at face value and accepts various mobile wallet payment options. However, the Chase promo that earned 10x UR when using Chase Pay at Best Buy just ended.
- Not sure if Sam's has Samsung Pay.
- Costco does not [usually] sell Disney Gift Cards, tickets, or passes.
- Combine your Disney Gift Cards at disneygiftcard .com up to $1,000 per card to make them easier to use.

Last edited:
With the pending change in category for Dolphin (and the change in how far out you can book) I want to book for Spring Break 2019 ASAP. I've never used the free night benefit. Is it, book 4 nights, get 5th free? Is it automatic, like if I put in dates for 5 nights it will show the total for 40k points?
ETA: I see how it works now, gives the cost as 8k/night instead of 10k.

Also, we have flights booked for this June for ORD to FLG with a layover in PHX. AA just emailed a change that made the layover 30 minutes, when it was 3 1/2 hrs. Should I wait to see if it changes again, or can I call? I seriously doubt 30 minutes would be enough time, given the frequency of delays in Chicago.

Last edited:

Would anyone be able to help me figure out which credit card(s) to get? We're having our wedding in WDW this summer. We have the money to pay for the wedding in full. However, Disney will let us use credit cards so I thought maybe we could get some good credit card bonuses since it's going to be such a large amount. I'm a little embarrassed to say exactly how much, but it's way higher than 10k.

Does anyone know which cards have really good bonuses right now? I got a southwest card from chase already this year, but that's the only card I've opened this year.

I see Disney tix and APs are set to increase. We were going to get APs later this year as ours have expired. Anyone have any tips on the best way to optimize that purchase?

Basically I would need discounted diney GCs by Saturday I think it is. Let me think....please help me think :) :scratchin
- No costcos nearby
- I have CIP, CIC, both preferreds and freedom. Spg and mariott too but don't think those would help much. Any of those work for a good category bonus...
-CIC 5x at office stores, do they sell disney GCs, or walmart that would be even better but unlikely...hmmm...
-CSR, no gift cards, buy straight from disney with csr and it will code 3x for travel?
- Freedom...wonder if they do samsung pay at Sam's. Then I'd get 5x for that right? Or do gcs not count.
- ETA...were working on MS's for mariott and dh's personal SPG right now, we should be MS without this though.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm not new to saving money, but new to doing that by optimizing cc points and offers...any shove in the rignt direction is much appreciated.
It might code as 1x purchase tickets straight from Disney so careful depending on that. Tickets are travel. Do you have a Target Red Card? That would get you 5% off Disney gift cards purchased in store.

Would anyone be able to help me figure out which credit card(s) to get? We're having our wedding in WDW this summer. We have the money to pay for the wedding in full. However, Disney will let us use credit cards so I thought maybe we could get some good credit card bonuses since it's going to be such a large amount. I'm a little embarrassed to say exactly how much, but it's way higher than 10k.

Does anyone know which cards have really good bonuses right now? I got a southwest card from chase already this year, but that's the only card I've opened this year.
Wow have you come to the right place ;) ;) - We surely can assist with that!

A few quick questions so we can give some good advice:
  • Other than the Southwest card have you opened up ANY other cards in the previous 24 months?
  • What are you attempting to get with these bonuses (future travel to Disney, future travel elsewhere, cash back, etc.)?
  • Can you split the payments you owe across multiple cards?
  • Are you doing this alone do you have a Fiance who also is interested in hitting up some cards as well?

With at least $10k in spending coming up, you could easily hit the minimum spending requirements for 2 or 3 credit cards. Have you made any deposits? When is your full payment due? Have you opened any other credit card in the last two years? What kind of credit card rewards do you value? Cash back or travel rewards? Any travel goals?

(Don't be embarrassed. I had an expensive wedding too. But unfortunately, I didn't think big like you and ended up putting it on a United card.)

This is a bit of a starting point: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

First, what do you want? American express points? Chase points? Airline miles or airline benefits? Tsa pre-check/global entry? Airport lounge access? Hotel points or status? Southwest Companion Pass? There are specific ways you need to apply for cards if you want one of those and people here can help.

Next, read up on the rules for each issuer so you don't shoot yourself in the foot by getting a bunch of amex cards and get locked out of Chase cards. Some of the info is a bit outdated I think but this is a good place to start: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-reference-pages/

Maybe once you have a vague idea of what cards you want to apply for come back here and ask us if "this" is a good plan of attack!

Are you in 2 player mode? Don't forget about referral bonuses. Any credit card you get you could refer SO to and bag both the bonus AND the referral bonus!

Way higher than 10K probably surprises absolutely nobody on this thread :) Weddings are crazy expensive in general and when you add Disney- we can do the math! Fwiw a Disney Wedding sounds crazy amazing so I hope every cent you spend fills you and yours with extra magical memories!!

You are welcome to join us in our Reddit group if you haven't already! Message @SouthFayetteFan or @Albort to get hooked up. We post links over there and if a card you're interested in is the same offer to the public as it is on our links you could get a fellow DISer some referral points!

theres DP on Flyertalk that All Marriott personal cards in Canada are closing Mar 14 2018.
makes me wonder if that will be the case here in the US

I've been thinking either the Marriott personal or SPG personal might be my next card. I have a card falling off 3/24 sometime in April.

@amalone1013 just got married there. I'm sure she has some expert tips.

- No costcos nearby

With your current cards, I would recommend what @Lain suggest regarding buying WM GC's using ChasePay on Walmart.com and then using those to buy from Sam's at the discounted price. I buy them online but since the price increases before you'd have them, you'll have to head into the store. That would earn you 5x UR on the Freedom (7.5x once moved to the CSR) and then the 4% discount at Sam's. I can do better at the grocery store but the stars have to be aligned just right and they aren't right now so I'll be using the above method as well :)

ETA: Tickets purchased from Disney will not code as travel unless you buy them at your resort and charge them to the room. Then they will be lumped into your resort bill.

Last edited:
With your current cards, I would recommend what @Lain suggest regarding buying WM GC's using ChasePay on Walmart.com and then using those to buy from Sam's at the discounted price. I buy them online but since the price increases before you'd have them, you'll have to head into the store. That would earn you 5x UR on the Freedom (7.5x once moved to the CSR) and then the 4% discount at Sam's. I can do better at the grocery store but the stars have to be aligned just right and they aren't right now so I'll be using the above method as well :)

I knew you'd have the answers!

Ok, fellow DISers. I need some advice. I *really* want to get into 2-player mode with this whole miles/points/churning thing, BUT my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He is under 5/24 with Chase, and I'd really like to have him apply for a CSR using my referral link. If I can get him approved, then I'd like to do the same with CFU and CF for those bonuses/referrals. Our household income is sufficient for a credit approval based on my pretty successful track record of getting new cards approved based on my income. What do you all suggest in terms of how I fill out the app for a stay-at-home dad so that the app is accurate but ends up in the most favorable light for an approval for him? Thanks!

I'll just chime in here and state that before I got into credit cards I researched whether I could put DH's income and yes, I could and although I'm "retired" (aka got sick of working and left) and have a very small annual income with DH's numbers there is no problem with approval. Congrats your DH is on board and you can enter 2 player mode.

Ok, fellow DISers. I need some advice. I *really* want to get into 2-player mode with this whole miles/points/churning thing, BUT my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He is under 5/24 with Chase, and I'd really like to have him apply for a CSR using my referral link. If I can get him approved, then I'd like to do the same with CFU and CF for those bonuses/referrals. Our household income is sufficient for a credit approval based on my pretty successful track record of getting new cards approved based on my income. What do you all suggest in terms of how I fill out the app for a stay-at-home dad so that the app is accurate but ends up in the most favorable light for an approval for him? Thanks!

DH being a SAHD is not even an issue. When applying for personal cards, just list his occupation as "Homemaker" and use total household income. If he's got a good credit score, it's likely approval.

I'd just add that while the CF and CFU may be tempting because of the referral to you and signup bonus for DH, are there any other Chase cards that might offer a better return on using a */24 slot? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...detail-need-know/#What_Cards_Does_This_Affect

I've been thinking either the Marriott personal or SPG personal might be my next card. I have a card falling off 3/24 sometime in April.

Marriott Personal cuz you need a 3rd metal card! :D
Also curses to SPG for switching to Pepsi... :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter