I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t accept Plastiq’s autofill; it’s probably on their blacklist. Fill in the recipient details yourself and try to change it just enough that it’ll get where it needs to go, but might pass Plastiq’s block. Maybe something like “Provident Fund” “Provident Fund’g” or just “Provident.” Don’t accept Plastiq’s suggested address either. Maybe write out the whole “street” and don’t use USPS abbreviations. Make sure to have your name and account number. Category would probably be Rent/Real Estate, or you could try Other.

I was wondering about this just last night and planning to try changing up my recipient wording so thanks for bringing it up and giving me some hope it might work :)

Was looking at apartments today, saw one that has on their website that they take credit cards for rent payments... I should put an extra mark in the pros category for that one :rotfl:

You need to check the fees though, and what cards they accept. My property management company accepts Visa and MasterCard, but not Amex; and they charge a 2.9% fee, which is more than Plastiq’s 2.5%.

i dont think the categories matters much, put rent or something thats close to it i guess haha.

Freedom UR points can transfer to CSP, then CSP to partners. Its cash bonus only if u dont have a premium card.

Ah, now I see - 15k UR bonus. Thanks!

Maybe it’s the taxes and fees??

I suppose that's what it is. I just thought every other time the "taxes and fees" were already rolled up in the points total I saw on the prior screen. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly though.

I haven't noticed that but as I played with it before I finally booked I did notice that if I put a check in day with one day less and then got the price and then went back and put back the original day it stayed at a lower overall price. So you might want to play with it. Also put just one person in the room not how many are actually going to stay.

Last time I booked I put just 2 adults, then when I called Disney wholesale to connect my reservation in MDE I had them add my son. It helped that time around because the total UR was higher with my son added on the booking screen. However, this time around I've tried it with just 2 adults and with 2 adults and 1 child and it's not changing the total points.

The card fee? The card fee is only $95 (waived the first year). Her school doesn't charge for credit cards, I have paid all her tuition with a card, fee free.

No, the school fee. That's awesome they don't charge. UT is 2.75%.

How much would you put on the card? How much is the fee to pay via card?

It is around $10k coming due. They charge 2.75%.

My dd’s college accepts cc’s with no fee also. Our portion of the tuition is really low right now cause the school district picks up most of the tab but once she graduates in May, we will be paying her tuition. Thank goodness I’ll be able to use cc’s to pay it and get some points!

So lucky!

im assuming your not paying to a loan right? I havent looking into it but i know a grip of people would buy $500 Gift of College gift cards and using that towards payments. The loss of value should be around 1% + time to purchase. could be worth looking it up if the school does charge a higher percentage.

Never heard of this but will google it.

so I cancelled that last WM order...and tried again today. Now it's showing as pending on the page with no issues.... go figure!

The Ur portal ...they add taxes and fees on the last page, so the points use is higher than the first screen. The best thing about it is you can use part points and part cash to pay!

I'm checking out some WDW resorts in the Chase portal right now. Has anyone ever seen the price change drastically after you click "book?" It's showing a total of 150,463 UR on the page where you select your room. Once I click "Book" it changes to 170,053 UR. I've booked on the Chase portal several times now and I've never seen that happen before.

Maybe it’s the taxes and fees??

Mine did that when I booked the Royal Pacific at Universal. I believe it was adding on the taxes since the rate on the initial screen was without tax.

Agree that it’s probably taxes and fees. If you have the points, the default option is to pay those taxes and fees with points, which will cause the points price of your booking to jump. This happened when I booked the Disneyland Hotel..

It's gotta be the taxes IMO. The point jump is almost exactly 13%. If I remember correctly, tax rates on most Disney resorts is 12.5% and on the all stars it is 13.5%

It is around $10k coming due. They charge 2.75%.
So simple math obviously is you need to generate greater than $275 in value from using a card. Without a signup bonus you won't find one that wins. However, something like the AMEX Biz Gold Rewards would have a $5k min. spend and if you paired it with A Schwab Platinum to cash out at 1.25 cpp you could put $4,867 of it on there (add the 2.75% fee and you hit $5k) and earn $687.50 in cash back. So you would earn $553.65 net (after paying the fee) on roughly half of the tuition. That's just one of many examples, but you'd basically want to split it on 2 cards with high dollar signup bonuses.

Yes. You just need to secure message them what you want to do. I recently did it when I took all but $5000 in credit on my Hyatt and put it onto the Freedom Unlimited.
Don't proactively move credit or decrease credit line then apply for new card. I did that & they reduced my total credit line & still moved credit for new card.

Well I did it, applied for the CSP in my dd's name, and got the 30 day message. I should have done it a couple of weeks ago, as I have $600 in things I need to pay in the next week or so.
If you get an approval you can call and they'll expedite and you'll have it within a day or two. (You can call re-con to speed it up but a number of people get approved within a couple weeks without having to call.)

so I cancelled that last WM order...and tried again today. Now it's showing as pending on the page with no issues.... go figure!

WM purchases are all sorts of weirdness... i was trying to maximize my 2nd card, but kept getting an error. I ended up calling chase fraud and they basically told me to make the purchase while im on the phone with them... kinda weird cuz they do see the payment going through. I guess to maximize my CSR, i probably have to do the same steps again.

edit: order cancelled, im back to square one.

I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous looking at my annual fees now: $570 total at this point.

Anyone care to share their annual fees? I have to do the math on the fees and compare them to the points values, too (and what I actually use per year).

Sure, I'll share.

Amex Plat $550 (keeper)
Amex Biz Plat $450 (may be cancelling when AF is due)
Amex Schwab Plat $550 (new, will cancel when AF is due)
CSR $450 (keeper)
Citi Prestige $350 (cancelling when AF is due)
Amex SPG biz $95 (keeper)
Chase Ink+ $95 (may downgrade to no fee)
Chase United $95 (keeper)
Chase British Airways $95 (keeper for now)
Citi AA Plat $95 (keeper)
Barclay AA $95 (keeper for now will decide when AF is due)
Barclay AA business $95 (new)
BoA Premier $95 (new, may cancel when AF is due)
Chase Marriott $85 (keeper)
Club Carlson $75 (keeper)
Chase IHG $49 (keeper)

My annual fees change as I add or cancel cards. I don't worry about them. I only keep the ones that offer me value I find that exceeds the fee. This may or may not be relevant to the points I use every year. I'll explain the reasons why I keep the ones I do.

These 4 cards I actually put regular spend on and earn points through spending. None the less, I take the benefits they offer into consideration beyond the points I can earn or the points I may use.
Amex Plat gives me Delta and Centurion lounge access, gold status at various hotels, annual $200 airline credit and 5x on airfare. When I add the value of those and add in the Amex offers I get and use for the card it all covers the fee.
CSR - 3x dining and travel, $300 travel credit, UR points worth 1.5 in portal. I spend enough in dining and travel to totally offset the fee and am able to transfer my other UR points to the CSR and make them worth 1.5
Amex SPG - Transfers to over 30 airlines, you get an additional 5,000 points for every 20,000 you transfer. That alone is worth more than the fee. Thanks to that card we get to fly in suite class on Singapore Air next year!
Chase Ink+ - 5x on internet, cable, phone and office supply stores. Office supply stores sell gift cards so that's 5x on lots of stuff and the point earning covers the fee.

Chase BA - earn travel together ticket for meeting annual spend threshold, 10% off for paid BA flights. I just picked this one up again because I knew I could make the $30k spend to get the travel together ticket which just showed up in my account today :banana: It will sit in a drawer for now.

Barclay AA - every year before my AF is due they have sent me an offer to earn 15,000 bonus AA miles for spending $500 a month for 3 months. If they do that again this year. I will keep the card another year. If not, I'll cancel it.

I put ZERO spend on these 5 cards throughout the year. With the exception of the Club Carlson card I earn zero points on them. I still keep them and they hold value for me.
Chase United - access to award space unavailable to non card holders, 2 lounge passes per year, 25% bonus kicker on Mileage X app is all worth the fee to me
Citi AA Plat - 10% back on redeemed miles from award tickets up to 100,000 miles. I blow through 100,000 AA miles or more every year so getting 10,000 back is worth the fee to me.
Chase Marriott - Free night for cat 1 - 4 property every year which I use every year. That covers the fee.
Club Carlson - 40,000 points each card anniversary. I let them pile up and have been able to stay for free on points at various Radisson Blu properties throughout Europe for several years now. This is my favorite card that I don't use.
Chase IHG - free night at any property. This is a no brainer.

As you see, I keep a number of cards that I'm not actively earning points on or using the points I have. Right now I'm sitting on over 180,00 IHG points and over 116,000 Marriott points. I have no plans to use any of those points anytime soon and I'm not earning any more points by using their credit cards. But even if I had zero points in both programs, I'd still keep the cards and I still wouldn't spend on them because the annual night is worth the fee to me. So, when you are calculating your point values and what you use each year, make sure you look at what benefits are offered by a card and also take that into account. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Anyone care to share their annual fees? I have to do the math on the fees and compare them to the points values, too (and what I actually use per year).
So I'll share an opposing viewpoint to Calypso. (Not that she's wrong at all, just different).

I do not pay any annual fees the second year. I've downgraded or cancelled 22 cards since I started hitting this heavily in Sept 2014 and never paid the annual fee the 2nd year around. I haven't been without a minimum spend to work on for over 3 years though so all my spend goes to the next bonus. I wait 11-13 months depending on the issuer and rules and I cancel or downgrade. Even the cards that give you something on the Anniversary haven't survived for me because what they offer isn't worth it to me. Just an alternative viewpoint, haha!

Can someone remind me how to find DLR tickets on last minute travel?? It's like they hide them or something lol. I searched for like an hour and nothing comes up.

Also, is that my only option for buying DLR tickets that will code as travel?

Sure, I'll share.

Amex Plat $550 (keeper)
Amex Biz Plat $450 (may be cancelling when AF is due)
Amex Schwab Plat $550 (new, will cancel when AF is due)
CSR $450 (keeper)
Citi Prestige $350 (cancelling when AF is due)
Amex SPG biz $95 (keeper)
Chase Ink+ $95 (may downgrade to no fee)
Chase United $95 (keeper)
Chase British Airways $95 (keeper for now)
Citi AA Plat $95 (keeper)
Barclay AA $95 (keeper for now will decide when AF is due)
Barclay AA business $95 (new)
BoA Premier $95 (new, may cancel when AF is due)
Chase Marriott $85 (keeper)
Club Carlson $75 (keeper)
Chase IHG $49 (keeper)

My annual fees change as I add or cancel cards. I don't worry about them. I only keep then ones that offer me value I find that exceeds the fee. This may or may not be relevant to the points I use every year. I'll explain the reasons why I keep the ones I do.

These 4 cards I actually put regular spend on and earn points through spending. None the less, I take the benefits they offer into consideration beyond the points I can earn or the points I may use.
Amex Plat gives me Delta and Centurion lounge access, gold status at various hotels, annual $200 airline credit and 5x on airfare. When I add the value of those and add in the Amex offers I get and use for the card it all covers the fee.
CSR - 3x dining and travel, $300 travel credit, UR points worth 1.5 in portal. I spend enough in dining and travel to totally offset the fee and am able to transfer my other UR points to the CSR and make them worth 1.5
Amex SPG - Transfers to over 30 airlines, you get an additional 5,000 points for every 20,000 you transfer. That alone is worth more than the fee. Thanks to that card we get to fly in suite class on Singapore Air next year!
Chase Ink+ - 5x on internet, cable, phone and office supply stores. Office supply stores sell gift cards so that's 5x on lots of stuff and the point earning covers the fee.

Chase BA - earn travel together ticket for meeting annual spend threshold, 10% off for paid BA flights. I just picked this one up again because I knew I could make the $30k spend to get the travel together ticket which just showed up in my account today :banana: It will sit in a drawer for now.

Barclay AA - every year before my AF is due they have sent me an offer to earn 15,000 bonus AA miles for spending $500 a month for 3 months. If they do that again this year. I will keep the card another year. If not, I'll cancel it.

I put ZERO spend on these 5 cards throughout the year. With the exception of the Club Carlson card I earn zero points on them. I still keep them and they hold value for me.
Chase United - access to award space unavailable to non card holders, 2 lounge passes per year, 25% bonus kicker on Mileage X app is all worth the fee to me
Citi AA Plat - 10% back on redeemed miles from award tickets up to 100,000 miles. I blow through 100,000 AA miles or more every year so getting 10,000 back is worth the fee to me.
Chase Marriott - Free night for cat 1 - 4 property every year which I use every year. That covers the fee.
Club Carlson - 40,000 points each card anniversary. I let them pile up and have been able to stay for free on points at various Radisson Blu properties throughout Europe for several years now. This is my favorite card that I don't use.
Chase IHG - free night at any property. This is a no brainer.

As you see, I keep a number of cards that I'm not actively earning points on or using the points I have. Right now I'm sitting on over 180,00 IHG points and over 116,000 Marriott points. I have no plans to use any of those points anytime soon and I'm not earning any more points by using their credit cards. But even if I had zero points in both programs, I'd still keep the cards and I still wouldn't spend on them because the annual night is worth the fee to me. So, when you are calculating your point values and what you use each year, make sure you look at what benefits are offered by a card and also take that into account. I hope this helps.
Woah- thank you for your rundown!! Have you thought about annually applying for a new Citi AA so you don't have eat the AF, or just not worth the hassle for your goals?

Can someone remind me how to find DLR tickets on last minute travel?? It's like they hide them or something lol. I searched for like an hour and nothing comes up.

Also, is that my only option for buying DLR tickets that will code as travel?
Idk about coding as travel but they are LMT is the cheapest. Log-in to see Disneyland on LMT.

ETA: an hour? omg so frustrating! Yes, they hide them behind their "paywall" (c'mon everyone gets a free membership somewhere so that's not much of a paywall, until you can't find Disneyland tickets and then the darn thing seems impenetrable!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter