I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe this, but so far it looks like I'll be saving a minimum of $4000 on my trip this summer, between the SPG hotel points and JetBlue one way ticket for free for 4 ppl EWR to SAN. I am still accumulating points for this, though. Once that JetBlue card comes (Dang I am so stupid I should have rushed it!) I need to make the 1k min spend.

I could use more SPG points...wondering now if I should apply for the Marriott card for 80k points that could be transferred to SPG. I am 4/24 .

ideally, u want to hit 2 cards at 4/24. Marriott Card, maybe a freedom card?
so keep in mind, 80k Marriott = 26k SPG. theres also a 120k for $12k spending over a 12 month period...

im assuming your not paying to a loan right? I havent looking into it but i know a grip of people would buy $500 Gift of College gift cards and using that towards payments. The loss of value should be around 1% + time to purchase. could be worth looking it up if the school does charge a higher percentage.
depending on your card holdings, id branch out now. I suggest the SPG cards right now as those cards may not exist in the future. Could be a good time to apply and hit the bonuses. Marriott Biz could also be a good potential. hitting these card is a good idea right now.
Downgrade is possible after a year, you do not need to pay an annual fee. to make sure i dont get hit with a fee, i SM chase talking about a downgrade, they will tell you when to reply back again.
She will still keep her UR points but she will lose the ability to transfer to partners. You wont be able to PC out of the UR point system so nothing to worry about. Keep in mind(this is a loophole), she can always go back up to a CSP or CSR when she needs to, but you may get charged the AF.
She can transfer to partners BUT also know when the points expire with the partners... once you send them to partners, the time to expire starts ticking... It would probably be best to keep them as UR since you would have more options to transfer to when u do need them. unless u have something else in mind.
Lastly, Rent with chase and Plastiq. Yes, rent is still working on all 4 cards. The problem might be if you are sending it to a person' name. Easy peasy, show them the lease if they ask to prove your rent. If that does not work, theres always radpad to try out too although its a .5% more than Plastiq.

Suggestion would be to add her to all your long AoA credit cards. It may pass the AoA off to her giving her good credit!

Hope that answers your questions... good luck! :]

Her school charges no fees, and we have no student loans, so just charging the tuition is what we do, no loss of any kinds.
I have already had and SPG card with a 35k bonus, so that is out.
I have nothing that would qualify as a business for Marriot that I can think of (thought I would love some more Marriot points), I don't sell on ebay or anything. A couple of things sold on Facebook but that's it.

What is AoA? Her credit score is currently 792, so we have her set up pretty good already :-).

Thanks for all your answers, very helpful!!

ideally, u want to hit 2 cards at 4/24. Marriott Card, maybe a freedom card?
so keep in mind, 80k Marriott = 26k SPG. theres also a 120k for $12k spending over a 12 month period...

Thanks! I need to look into what Freedom would give me towards this trip. That Marriot card worth 80k = 26k SPG would give me two free nights at the Delano (13k each night). OOP would cost about $1000 for the two nights.

I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous looking at my annual fees now: $570 total at this point. Do I call up each bank before the end of my year and ask if they have a no fee option to downgrade to? I can't do this for some of them that I want to keep (United, CSP, SPG) since I want to keep accumulating points for future trips.

Anyone care to share their annual fees? I have to do the math on the fees and compare them to the points values, too (and what I actually use per year).

I'm checking out some WDW resorts in the Chase portal right now. Has anyone ever seen the price change drastically after you click "book?" It's showing a total of 150,463 UR on the page where you select your room. Once I click "Book" it changes to 170,053 UR. I've booked on the Chase portal several times now and I've never seen that happen before.
Maybe it’s the taxes and fees??

Hey Everyone! I would like to try and see if I can get my mortgage paid through Plastiq using my CIP. I know this hasn't been working for some. Is there any trick I need to know about before trying? Currently my mortgage is through Provident Funding. TIA!

I have already had and SPG card with a 35k bonus, so that is out.
I have nothing that would qualify as a business for Marriot that I can think of (thought I would love some more Marriot points), I don't sell on ebay or anything. A couple of things sold on Facebook but that's it.

What is AoA? Her credit score is currently 792, so we have her set up pretty good already :-).

SPG biz? do u have that too? If not, i guess your choices are Amex and Citi. would check out its partners and see what benefits u the most.
Anything can qualify as a business... heck, do u tutor anyone? maybe ur kids? :P
AoA = Age of Account. 792 is way more than me. glad it works out for her! she doesnt need any AU addings! :]

Thanks! I need to look into what Freedom would give me towards this trip. That Marriot card worth 80k = 26k SPG would give me two free nights at the Delano (13k each night). OOP would cost about $1000 for the two nights.

I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous looking at my annual fees now: $570 total at this point. Do I call up each bank before the end of my year and ask if they have a no fee option to downgrade to? I can't do this for some of them that I want to keep (United, CSP, SPG) since I want to keep accumulating points for future trips.

Anyone care to share their annual fees? I have to do the math on the fees and compare them to the points values, too (and what I actually use per year).

Freedom can earn u quite a bit of UR points due to its 5x categories. They transfer to Marriott too but at a very bad rate(assuming u have a premium card).
You can ask at the end of the year for a downgrade option. Your other option is to ask for a retention bonus. I have so far asked for one on citibank card. they offered me a bunch and i took one where i can maximize my points(+2x to all category, had to pay $95 fee).

Another question, does Chase overnight new cards if requested?

Chase typically will overnight their cards to u. The only card so far that want to charge me is my Business account debit card for $10. Weird. My personal account debit card could be overnighted for free.

Hey Everyone! I would like to try and see if I can get my mortgage paid through Plastiq using my CIP. I know this hasn't been working for some. Is there any trick I need to know about before trying? Currently my mortgage is through Provident Funding. TIA!

some people were able to get around the restriction by adding it separately. ie u fill up the information rather than using an already known address/payee. Sometimes, you can get by with the address being different than the official one so check to see if the addresses match or not. @Lain did post a datapoint where someone did get caught doing this and was denied the transaction. I guess it doesnt hurt to try right? :]

I'm checking out some WDW resorts in the Chase portal right now. Has anyone ever seen the price change drastically after you click "book?" It's showing a total of 150,463 UR on the page where you select your room. Once I click "Book" it changes to 170,053 UR. I've booked on the Chase portal several times now and I've never seen that happen before.
Mine did that when I booked the Royal Pacific at Universal. I believe it was adding on the taxes since the rate on the initial screen was without tax.

I'd be interested in knowing if it works with them since we also have Provident. What a smooth refinance it was them and the godly low rate that we got.

SPG biz? do u have that too? If not, i guess your choices are Amex and Citi. would check out its partners and see what benefits u the most.
Anything can qualify as a business... heck, do u tutor anyone? maybe ur kids? :P
AoA = Age of Account. 792 is way more than me. glad it works out for her! she doesnt need any AU addings! :]
I did not have SPG biz, just personal. And no, I can't think of anything that qualifies as a business :-(. No tutoring, kids are smarter than me and too old anyway LOL.
I don't want to tank her score when I close the two Barclays accounts, since it's going to reduce the open credit by $20k, so I want to make sure to replace that so she can keep her score :-).

I did not have SPG biz, just personal. And no, I can't think of anything that qualifies as a business :-(. No tutoring, kids are smarter than me and too old anyway LOL.
I don't want to tank her score when I close the two Barclays accounts, since it's going to reduce the open credit by $20k, so I want to make sure to replace that so she can keep her score :-).

amex gives out their biz card like candy, i wouldnt worry too much about that. Chase on the other hand, is a different story.

some people were able to get around the restriction by adding it separately. ie u fill up the information rather than using an already known address/payee. Sometimes, you can get by with the address being different than the official one so check to see if the addresses match or not. @Lain did post a datapoint where someone did get caught doing this and was denied the transaction. I guess it doesnt hurt to try right? :]
Ok thanks, I will give it a try. What do I pick as a "category"?

I'd be interested in knowing if it works with them since we also have Provident. What a smooth refinance it was them and the godly low rate that we got.
I'll report back if it works!

Freedom can earn u quite a bit of UR points due to its 5x categories. They transfer to Marriott too but at a very bad rate(assuming u have a premium card).
You can ask at the end of the year for a downgrade option. Your other option is to ask for a retention bonus. I have so far asked for one on citibank card. they offered me a bunch and i took one where i can maximize my points(+2x to all category, had to pay $95 fee).

Thanks. So, for UR points I could probably accumulate enough to book the rental car - that doesn't have to be done way in advance which would give me time to accumulate them. I have a CSP already. What I'd like is a big UR sign up bonus but it looks like Chase Freedom only has cash bonus.

The Marriott card is calling my name. I think the Chase Unlimited Rewards card is probably the only one I can pair it with if I want a Chase, but I'm wondering if I should go for another Amex instead? Currently I only have an SPG Amex and the travel Amex - no fee. My husband has an Amex ED Preferred. He could refer me and I could open my own and collect 15k MR points (that doesn't seem like that much). OR I could go for the Amex platinum but that has a huge fee which $550 - nah.

Hmmm... what to do?

Question: If my husband refers me for an AMEX ED Pref, but I am on his card as a user, will I get rejected? Also, I was accepted for an SPG Amex Business last month - will that effect my approval?

Thanks!

I haven't noticed that but as I played with it before I finally booked I did notice that if I put a check in day with one day less and then got the price and then went back and put back the original day it stayed at a lower overall price. So you might want to play with it. Also put just one person in the room not how many are actually going to stay.

i dont think the categories matters much, put rent or something thats close to it i guess haha.

Thanks. So, for UR points I could probably accumulate enough to book the rental car - that doesn't have to be done way in advance which would give me time to accumulate them. I have a CSP already. What I'd like is a big UR sign up bonus but it looks like Chase Freedom only has cash bonus.

The Marriott card is calling my name. I think the Chase Unlimited Rewards card is probably the only one I can pair it with if I want a Chase, but I'm wondering if I should go for another Amex instead? Currently I only have an SPG Amex and the travel Amex - no fee. My husband has an Amex ED Preferred. He could refer me and I could open my own and collect 15k MR points (that doesn't seem like that much). OR I could go for the Amex platinum but that has a huge fee which $550 - nah.

Hmmm... what to do?

Freedom UR points can transfer to CSP, then CSP to partners. Its cash bonus only if u dont have a premium card.

Mine is provident also and not going through Definitely still try though!

Woohoo, just got approved for Marriott after I moved some funds around. The rep was like you can move up to 35k to it. So moved 20k from my SW since I'll eventually be closing it and why I would ever need the ridiculous amount they extended to me in the 1st place. I just went for the 80k offer. I thought the 120k offer for $12k spend was too little value. With that extra $9k in spend, I could easily purchase more nights than the 40k would get me. Now I'll wait so I can refer DH for the referral bonus and I added DS10 as the authorized user so I'll make his purchase and receive the extra 7.5k points.

Maybe it’s the taxes and fees??

Agree that it’s probably taxes and fees. If you have the points, the default option is to pay those taxes and fees with points, which will cause the points price of your booking to jump. This happened when I booked the Disneyland Hotel.

Oh darn, I didn't realize you had Provident also! Thanks for letting me know, I'll try anyway...you never know!

I agree with @Albort. Try anyway. Don’t accept Plastiq’s autofill; it’s probably on their blacklist. Fill in the recipient details yourself and try to change it just enough that it’ll get where it needs to go, but might pass Plastiq’s block. Maybe something like “Provident Fund” “Provident Fund’g” or just “Provident.” Don’t accept Plastiq’s suggested address either. Maybe write out the whole “street” and don’t use USPS abbreviations. Make sure to have your name and account number. Category would probably be Rent/Real Estate, or you could try Other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter