I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received my CSR yesterday (oooh ahhh) and met the spend today after regular shopping and purchasing some doors for the work we're having done on the house :D

Have to decide which card for dh to get next--was settled on the Chase Hyatt until the new Amex PRG rumors hit. He will have $11Kish of reimbursable spending for a non profit and we could use those MR for travel. (no luck getting the 100K plat)

Last night I was messing around on the United site and discovered we could fly from Perth to JFK on United/Singapore/something (thru Hong Kong and/or Singapore) so that was cool. We could fly to Perth, do the cool Western Australia stuff, get to Uluru, go to the Great Barrier Reef, and then leave thru Sydney to EWR on United :)

I may have purchased an Australia travel book from Amazon :rolleyes1

You're fast!

If you can't pull the 100k MR Platinum, you should try for the 50k MR PRG. The 50k MR/$2k MSR/3 months offer on the PRG is fairly easy to get in incognito mode. (The best targeted offer is 50k MR after $1k MSR. The public offer is 25k MR after $2k MSR.) No one knows if we'll be able to use incognito or CardMatch to get a 50k MR offer on the PRG/Gold card after Amex revamps this card on or around 10/4/18. The rumored offer on the revamped PRG/Gold card is 25k MR after $2k MSR, and up to a $100 statement credit after spending $500 at restaurants. Getting the PRG will likely reduce your chances of being targeted for, or pulling the 100k MR offer on the Platinum. However, even if you can't get the Platinum at 100k MR, you can pretty easily pull a 75k MR Platinum offer in incognito mode.

The upcoming changes to the PRG make it a solid everyday earner with 4x MR at restaurants and supermarkets (and you can purchase third-party gift cards at supermarkets to earn fuel reward points and carry over the 4x MR earning rate), although the supermarket category is capped at $25k/year. The 50k MR welcome offer is worth at least $500 in flights, or you could transfer those points to Amex's many airline partners. (Unfortunately, I don't know much about using MRs for Australia, but at least the MRs will diversify your points and miles.) AF is waived in the first year, and the airline and dining credits offset the $195 AF in subsequent years. The $100 airline fee credit works the same as on the Platinum and Hilton Aspire, and can be used to purchase AA, Delta, and Southwest gift cards in specific denominations (although this could change in the future).

The PRG is a personal card, so it will add to your */24 count. However, Amex does not typically report new accounts to your credit reports until the close of your second monthly statement, so you usually have about 2 months before Chase finds out about a new Amex personal card and counts it against you.

Rose Gold metal card = brilliant marketing move by AMEX. Watch people get in line for it simply because it looks cool!

How have you never watched Hocus Pocus?!

I've never seen it either...

Some Hawaii and AA questions for the experts here.

In the final planning stages for Hawaii. I have narrowed down the best times to go to fit in our schedules - either Mid to late September or October. Any advice from the experts if one of these are better than the other? We are planning on 2 weeks and going to Oahu, Big Island and Maui. I have about a month before award flights show up so have some time to decide.

I still need some more AA miles. Have the Citi AA Biz & Barclay's Biz. If I understand it right, I can't get another Citi Biz for 95 days after the first (thinking of buying one of the codes on reddit.) Other choices are personal Citi AA or personal Barclay's. Not sure I wanted to take a 5/24 spot now and not sure I can get DH to open a personal card. He has no problems with the Biz cards. I signed DS up for a AA account. Been looking for any codes to be emailed to him.

When I do book the flights, do I need to use the Citi card to get the benefits? Planning on booking first class on miles. Do I get free checked bags just due to First or do I need to use my card?

I'm not a Hawaii expert but I've been at different times of the year. I personally wouldn't go during September because our August trip was too hot for me. I'd guess that October would be cooler. December was pleasant, April, May, and June were lovely. July was hotter but not awful. Love Kona and Maui (it's been too long since I've been to Oahu to have a valid opinion).

The CL has been cut on our CSP. I think it was $10k initially. It was cut down to $1k. We didn’t receive any notification it would be cut down or anything.

Yikes. Not even a phone call? They called us when they lowered the CLs because of the DD. Maybe so many people DD'ed and they don't want to spend the time notifying people.

I finally have a positive but really minor Chase DP (because we need some positive UR news even if it is not that great). Whenever I can I shop through the Chase UR portal. Couple weeks ago went through Shop Disney. It was only 2 times the points and I didn’t even use a credit card...used Disney gift card. BUT points posted. UR’s coming my way. Every little bit counts right?!?

I also for the first time am the proud owner of not one but two Disney Dooney and Bourne bags. I had been eyeing the older pattern of the DVC crossbody and then it sold out. Then I thought, I will get the pouchette because it is cheaper. Sold out. Finally was like well crap I do like that pattern so I got the huge one. Plan is to use it for work for my ipad/files etc. A little Disney at work will be good I figure. And then while I was looking saw the orange bird on sale plus could use 20%. So now I have two! Plus extra points from the shopping portal. Good thing I didn’t know that would work...I might have kept going. :)

I haven’t seen Hocus Pocus either. But we were shopping all afternoon and it is huge in the Halloween Spirit pop up stores. They had it at Target and D10 wanted it so I guess I will be watching it soon. Sad but true but I don’t have too high of expectations.

Some Hawaii and AA questions for the experts here.

In the final planning stages for Hawaii. I have narrowed down the best times to go to fit in our schedules - either Mid to late September or October. Any advice from the experts if one of these are better than the other? We are planning on 2 weeks and going to Oahu, Big Island and Maui. I have about a month before award flights show up so have some time to decide.

I'm not a Hawaii expert but I've been at different times of the year. I personally wouldn't go during September because our August trip was too hot for me. I'd guess that October would be cooler. December was pleasant, April, May, and June were lovely. July was hotter but not awful. Love Kona and Maui (it's been too long since I've been to Oahu to have a valid opinion).

@StephPlum - it’s been a while since we’ve been in Hawaii in September or October, but I don’t think you’ll see much weather variation in that month and a half period. I agree with @mmmears that October would tend to be cooler and less humid, with it being on the tail end of the dry season and moving into the rainy season around November. Rain is generally unpredictable. You might get morning and passing showers and nice hot days, but there’s always a chance of rain for a few days’ stretch. Good luck!

Last edited:
We got a 60,000 Capital One Venture offer in the mail about a month ago and I threw it away because we were going to do DH's double dip next. Of course, now we are not going to do that and I can't get that offer to pop up, it was only on the mailer! :sad:

I got a mailer today for a Captal One Savor. Doesn't look terrible but I don't think the $500 cash back is a special offer, I believe it is the regular one? Any advice?

My P2 is getting interested in actually playing this game. Any downside to going for that AMEX RPG now? We could combine with our existing MRs, and the MSR is easy to meet.

Should we be holding out for better cards down the road? The Hilton and SPG cards looked good, but then we would not be able to combine those points with our existing banks of MRs, URs, or AA miles I'm assuming. Trying to see if there is a downside to getting this card now. Anyone?

My P2 is getting interested in actually playing this game. Any downside to going for that AMEX RPG now? We could combine with our existing MRs, and the MSR is easy to meet.

Should we be holding out for better cards down the road? The Hilton and SPG cards looked good, but then we would not be able to combine those points with our existing banks of MRs, URs, or AA miles I'm assuming. Trying to see if there is a downside to getting this card now. Anyone?

I think you saw my post on the updated PRG/Gold Card this morning, with links to DoC's writeup and the reddit discussion about his post. https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-2579#post-59769801

This is supposed to be a revamp or rebranding of the Premier Rewards Gold card, not an introduction of a new card product. The new benefits leaked online early, and were promptly pulled back this week. However, the new benefits are supposedly rolling out on or about 10/4/18. Because this is an update of the PRG, existing cardmembers will get the new benefits the same as new applicants who apply on or after 10/4.

Offhand, the two differences that I see between applying before or after 10/4 are:

(1) If you apply before 10/4, you'll get the current plastic card; whereas new cardmembers on or after 10/4 would probably get the new metal card in Gold or Rose Gold. Again, the rose gold color and metal card design are rumors, but it'd be pretty exciting if it's true. If the new PRG/Gold Card does become available in a Gold/Rose Gold metal design, it's likely you can just call into Amex to request the new card (just like how they let Platinum cardmembers call in to request the new metal cards when they first came out).

(2) The rumored public offer on the updated PRG/Gold Card is supposedly 25k MR after a $2k/3 month MSR, with up to $100 back in statement credit on restaurant spend. The best targeted offer currently on the PRG is 50k MR after a $1k/3 months MSR, which might be available under your Amex pre-qualified offers or on CardMatch. You can also pull a 50k MR after $2k/3 months MSR pretty easily in incognito mode (just keep trying using different browsers). I don't think anyone knows if the higher 50k MR offers will be available on Amex, CardMatch, or in incognito after this card is updated. For those who value an extra 25k MR more than a possible $100 statement credit, they're jumping on the certainty of a 50k MR offer by applying before 10/4.

You can’t combine MRs between spouses or within households, but you can transfer MRs to another person’s frequent flyer account if they’re an authorized user on your Amex MR card. Getting the PRG or any Amex charge card, generally, won’t have any bearing on your eligibility to get the Amex Hilton and SPG cards down the line. (Getting the PRG, which is a personal card, and any of Amex’s other personal charge or credit cards will count against your 5/24 status and could make you ineligible for some of Chase’s most lucrative cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule.) The Hilton and SPG cards earn points in their respective hotel loyalty programs. You can’t transfer Hilton points to much, but SPG’s Marriott points transfer to something like 60 airline partners if you’re not going to use them for hotel stays. Hilton and SPG/Marriott programs each have their own rules for transferring points between members, and to other programs.

Last edited:
I checked mine that I did on 9/14 and it looks like they give themselves 14 days to pay out. So if you don’t get it by 9/21, I would contact them. I would think you would not need your receipt since it is linked.
I did this on the previous RMN Walgreens offer of $5 off $50. Forgot to link it and had only saved it. At least I paid with a CF! Then did it again, making sure I had linked it, and got the notice from them. That was 9/7 and it's still pending, which makes me a little nervous.

I have one pending from 9/9 as well.
This has happened twice before...tracked but never posted. I waited for the dates to pass that were listed in the app as the date it should post by and then I did online chat. They will want a receipt. At least the have all 3 times I chatted. Twice in store cash back and once online cash back. I doubt I have a receipt from 9/9 so I probably won't follow up if it doesn't ever get credited. Plus it was a GC purchase so there is that. At least I used CF.

I think you saw my post on the updated PRG/Gold Card this morning, with links to DoC's writeup and the reddit discussion about his post. https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-2579#post-59769801

This is supposed to be a revamp or rebranding of the Premier Rewards Gold card, not an introduction of a new card product. The new benefits leaked online early, and were promptly pulled back this week. However, the new benefits are supposedly rolling out on or about 10/4/18. Because this is an update of the PRG, existing cardmembers will get the new benefits the same as new applicants who apply on or after 10/4.

Offhand, the two differences that I see between applying before or after 10/4 are:

(1) If you apply before 10/4, you'll get the current plastic card; whereas new cardmembers on or after 10/4 would probably get the new metal card in Gold or Rose Gold. Again, the rose gold color and metal card design are rumors, but it'd be pretty exciting if it's true. If the new PRG/Gold Card does become available in a Gold/Rose Gold metal design, it's likely you can just call into Amex to request the new card (just like how they let Platinum cardmembers call in to request the new metal cards when they first came out).

(2) The rumored public offer on the updated PRG/Gold Card is supposedly 25k MR after a $2k/3 month MSR, with up to $100 back in statement credit on restaurant spend. The best targeted offer currently on the PRG is 50k MR after a $1k/3 months MSR, which might be available under your Amex pre-qualified offers or on CardMatch. You can also pull a 50k MR after $2k/3 months MSR pretty easily in incognito mode (just keep trying using different browsers). I don't think anyone knows if the higher 50k MR offers will be available on Amex, CardMatch, or in incognito after this card is updated. For those who value an extra 25k MR more than a possible $100 statement credit, they're jumping on the certainty of a 50k MR offer by applying before 10/4.

You can’t combine MRs between spouses or within households, but you can transfer MRs to another person’s frequent flyer account if they’re an authorized user on your Amex MR card. Getting the PRG or any Amex charge card, generally, won’t have any bearing on your eligibility to get the Amex Hilton and SPG cards down the line. (Getting the PRG, which is a personal card, and any of Amex’s other personal charge or credit cards will count against your 5/24 status and could make you ineligible for some of Chase’s most lucrative cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule.) The Hilton and SPG cards earn points in their respective hotel loyalty programs. You can’t transfer Hilton points to much, but SPG’s Marriott points transfer to something like 60 airline partners if you’re not going to use them for hotel stays. Hilton and SPG/Marriott programs each have their own rule for transferring points between members, and to other programs.

Thank you so much. We've been counting up his cards and sadly he is at 4/24 now, so I guess we need to think about this very carefully. The SPG Lux is definitely on our radar as well, but another high AF card will be a bit much.

We got a 60,000 Capital One Venture offer in the mail about a month ago and I threw it away because we were going to do DH's double dip next. Of course, now we are not going to do that and I can't get that offer to pop up, it was only on the mailer! :sad:

DH got that mailer too. I held off on it, and a month later he received a second mailer (last week actually) with the same 60,000 offer. Maybe you'll get a second chance too!

Just trying to follow as I’m new to all this lingo. What is “DD” mean?
Way to bring up bad feelings... :sad::sad2: LOL!! JK JK JK :rotfl2:

It's a loophole that died a couple week's ago. Basically you could sign up for 2 Chase cards at once to get around some of Chase's rules (namely on the CSP & CSR cards or on Southwest cards). It's DEAD now so if you read any old info suggesting to signup for BOTH a CSP AND CSR at the same time...don't do that :)

I have one pending from 9/9 as well.
This has happened twice before...tracked but never posted. I waited for the dates to pass that were listed in the app as the date it should post by and then I did online chat. They will want a receipt. At least the have all 3 times I chatted. Twice in store cash back and once online cash back. I doubt I have a receipt from 9/9 so I probably won't follow up if it doesn't ever get credited. Plus it was a GC purchase so there is that. At least I used CF.

Mine was GC as well, and I definitely don't have the receipt anyways. I really don't care about the $5...I mean, it would nice to get it but not worth getting worked up about...what I am concerned about, is that this 'hung up' pending offer is keeping my other offers from posting?? Others who did the offer after me are getting theirs changed to payable. That just seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter