I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read lots of posts here about banking bonuses, but have never bothered. Today in the mail I got a flyer from KeyBank for $400 if I deposit $500 in a checking account. "Normal account service charges and balance requirements apply to these accounts". I'll have to research those fees.* This is a targeted offer with a reservation #, but folks in the Pittsburgh area may want to keep an eye on their mail.

*Looks like I have to do 8 transactions a month to avoid fees. I know I read about those somewhere in this thread! Very helpful resource. There is a branch very near me so I'm thinking ATM withdrawals would count.

Not sure if it is the same there as in Boise, but I opened a Key Bank checking account for a $400 bonus a few months ago. Another way to keep the account fee free is to deposit $500 at least once per account cycle/month. I have been doing that and haven’t incurred any fees. I pretty much transfer the funds back out the day or two after I deposit them. I think I’ve got a couple more months to go before I can close the account. Heads up that it did take a while for the bonus to post though (like at least 6 weeks). Nowhere near as fast as Chase.

I wonder if they will just keep the Disney hotels on the CF portal and not roll them out to the CSR/CSP/CIP portals so people are stuck redeeming for 1 cpp.
ok, so I just checked and they still show on CF, so it isn't that they can't book them. If they are doing what you said that is just sketchy and I am gonna bid adieu to chase sooner rather than later. I was loyal to them b/c Disney...not b/c chase.

ok, so I just checked and they still show on CF, so it isn't that they can't book them. If they are doing what you said that is just sketchy and I am gonna bid adieu to chase sooner rather than later. I was loyal to them b/c Disney...not b/c chase.

Exactly. I got into this game because of Disney.

I realize that I’m complaining about totally first world problems, but UGGGGH GUYS.

More Chase news, while we're on the subject. Someone who is clearly not a churner is shut down. Got a Chase card at the beginning of the year, got 2 non-Chase cards throughout 2018. Only real reason anyone can find is he was involved in litigation (not against Chase), and Chase did some snooping and didn't like that.

I don't quite understand why Chase would have the contract for the Disney co-brand cards (debit and credit), and yet not allow their own points to be used with Disney. It's baffling. I get that a lot of people were milking Chase for every UR they were worth, but all of this stuff happening at once seems like too much. The backlash will grow, especially if non-churners are getting shut down, and every news article is going to be a negative reminder in a casual person's eye.

For Disney churning - the Arrival+ is churnable every 2 years and you can pay for any travel you want. The 60k sign-up bonus is worth $600, and every dollar spent ears 2 points (so the 60k/$5k offer gets you 70k points). Obviously not as good as the 1.5x CSR, but it's something. Can also use that for park tickets from Undercover Tourist. Some Disney hotels are in the Citi Thank You portal, but they seem crazy expensive and it looks like it's resorts only from what I can tell.

Uh, that's all I got. DVC?

Wow, is Chase trying to get a large number of Disney-loving cardholders to downgrade or cancel their CSRs, CSPs, and CIPs? If they can’t redeem URs at 1.25 or 1.5 cpp towards their Disney vacations, and the best they can do is a cash deposit or credit statement of 1 cpp, a lot of people will have a hard time justifying the AFs.

I’m thinking I’ll just go ahead and hit Chase for all they’re worth.

Yeah, not being able to redeem at 1.5cpp for the trips I actually want to take means I am *more* likely to just get the cards, get the bonuses, cash out, and then cancel. And here I was thinking I'd be happy to just set up a nice little UR earning machine each month, giving Chase all of my spend plus a decent chunk of money each year in AFs. Silly me, wanting to be a loyal customer :/

Wait, did y'all say Chase used to be based on Connexions? The Citi TY hotel portal says "Travel services provided by Connexions Loyalty, Inc." They also have a section for cruises. So maybe they can do a full package if you call and ask? I'm not sure. TY points are redeemable for 1.25cpp on hotels if you have the Premier, but they are of course more difficult to accumulate than URs. Also they are still more expensive than Disney's rack rate for some reason. Wonder if they can book through Disney like Chase used to do if they had the best price.

Chase dropped sponsorship of something at... Epcot?... last year sometime. But IDK, hard to say whether the relationship shift is Chase’s end, Disney’s end, or mutual. Disney may be wanting to give less of a cut to Chase on package bookings than Chase wants to get.

So the deal with frontier has to be booked by the 17th of this month (2 days from now). Should I consider the Hilton aspire to get the airline credit or not worry about it?

I did get an instant number when I was approved for the Aspire on Monday. Still waiting for the physical card (although I’m almost halfway through the MSR without it, lol)... Not sure if I follow you about the airline credit though. Typically purchasing tickets won’t trigger the airline credit for Amex cards. Needs to be incidentals (like bag fees) or gift cards with certain airlines only. I know that SW and Delta? (maybe AA?) work, but not sure about Frontier.

Points just posted for my Best Buy purchase using Chase Pay.
I did not get an email about the offer, but did get the extra points. I spent $104 and got 626 in points. Nothing showing yet on swagbucks for me.

Edit to add: actually 206 points are pending on swagbucks for the 2x per dollar, but no sign of the 750SB bonus.

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back.

I did get an instant number when I was approved for the Aspire on Monday. Still waiting for the physical card (although I’m almost halfway through the MSR without it, lol)... Not sure if I follow you about the airline credit though. Typically purchasing tickets won’t trigger the airline credit for Amex cards. Needs to be incidentals (like bag fees) or gift cards with certain airlines only. I know that SW and Delta? (maybe AA?) work, but not sure about Frontier.

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back.
Ah okay. I guess I wasn't super sure what the airline credit was for. I think we just won't worry about a Hilton card for now, but we are definitely going to need to think about one soon. We will have a one night stay in Chicago in October and I would like to stay at a Hilton if possible to earn some points.

Chase dropped sponsorship of something at... Epcot?... last year sometime. But IDK, hard to say whether the relationship shift is Chase’s end, Disney’s end, or mutual. Disney may be wanting to give less of a cut to Chase on package bookings than Chase wants to get.

Thinking about it, if you had enough URs, and a CSR, you could book a package at Disney for effectively 33% off by going through the Chase Cruise and Tours department. That's way more than the discount you'd get on those items through any other travel agent. I wonder if Disney doesn't want us to be able to get that discount on rooms AND tickets AND the DDP anymore :(

This doesn’t make sense and I don’t get it. Why would chase care if we redeem our URs for a Disney hotel or a Marriott or a holiday inn?? What’s it to them?

Now that I’m starting to think it through more as much as I want to blame a RAT a normal quant probably caught it...

Why care? Those TAs weren’t booking stuff at the wholesale rates Expedia can. While Chase may be willing to take that hit on airfare maybe they never planned to have to take it on some hotels & park tickets as well. I booked a Drury once on Chase and while making a room request the guy accidentally quoted me the rate Chase booked the room at, like 30% less than what I paid. At the end of the day I was happy having redeemed my points for cheaper than booking direct, Chase was happy having originally bought the hotel for a rate I never could and then charging me full price. Using TAs to book Disney completely circumnavigated any wholesale hotel discount... My hope is Disney hotels will ultimately still be available via normal online booking with URs but only time will tell :(

Thinking about it, if you had enough URs, and a CSR, you could book a package at Disney for effectively 33% off by going through the Chase Cruise and Tours department. That's way more than the discount you'd get on those items through any other travel agent. I wonder if Disney doesn't want us to be able to get that discount on rooms AND tickets AND the DDP anymore :(

I still don’t understand why Disney would care. They still get their money, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter