I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is really bad, but prior to following along with this thread I never paid much attention to my credit cards. I've had a Discover card for forever and used it to pay off another higher APR card with a special offer low APR. I'm about to pay off the balance and I was looking at the statement and saw a cash back balance of 7.43. Well, I wanted that money so I registered that card and OMG, I learned that I can get 5% off groceries through June! I know some of you have mentioned this, but I just didn't think I had that Discover card that gave 5% back like all of you do. So, now I have to decide if I want to use my Discover card on groceries or use my CSP to earn URs. Decisions, decisions!

If you can afford to pay ahead for groceries, you could buy gift cards now and use them later. We do that with gas stations. Restaurants is the only category I really dislike, because it conflicts with my goal of eating out less.

Personally, I would take 5% cashback with Discover over 1 UR point per dollar, worth 1.25 cents. I'm in that boat right now, and will use Discover for groceries (and also will buy gift cards for other places at the grocery store). For me, even if I transfer my UR points to another program, I don't see a case where I'll get 5 cents of value with them. I just take my cashback from Discover and either use it towards travel, or redeem it for a gift card I will use on a trip.

You're right. I hate to not be earning UR points, but it definitely makes more sense to just put the bonus towards our trip in another way. Thanks!

If you can afford to pay ahead for groceries, you could buy gift cards now and use them later. We do that with gas stations. Restaurants is the only category I really dislike, because it conflicts with my goal of eating out less.

That's a great idea, thanks! We're also trying to eat out less, but I just HATE cooking SO MUCH!

Does anyone know why my CSR says it's "ineligible" in the Chase Pay app? Both the new cards say that, but I figured the CSP might be ineligible because I don't have the card yet to activate it. But the CSR is activated and ready to go (it's getting christened at dinner tonight) and it is showing in the app, it's just black with the "ineligible" message. Has a phone number to call which I assume is customer service but I thought you guys might be faster :)

ETA: I'm mostly just curious. I didn't plan to use it in the app but when I used the app to pay at Best Buy yesterday I noticed they where there but blacked out.

Before transferring UR points consider purchasing SPG points on sale and using your UR points as a statement credit to reimburse yourself.
As an example: 10,000 SPG points would transfer to Marriott as 30,000. The cost would be $227.50, so take a 22,750 statement credit to “pay” yourself back. The result is 30,000 Marriott points for 22,750 UR points.

I wish I could "like" this multiple times. I never think of things like this. Smarty!! :-)

I wasn’t counting the Amex biz card since it’s not in my credit report. That’s why I thought I was 1/6.

We have a mortgage credit scores in the high 700.

would you recommend we wait until May to get DH the new Marriott card for DH. And just buy the points we need to get to top off?

oh, didnt recognize the Amex as a biz haha.
yeah, your DH sounds fine applying next month.

I might give it a go just to see what happens. If there is a hard age requirement, then obviously that will be a quick denial, but no real harm done. Despite her age, DD has been a taxpayer for a number of years thanks to the generosity of my grandparents who funded a stock portfolio for her to pay for her college education, and my parents have continued to add to it. So she has income and tax paying history although no prior credit history. But she’s got to start somewhere....

You can't get a credit card under the age of 18, even with a co-signer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/old-get-credit-card/#Under_18

You're right. I hate to not be earning UR points, but it definitely makes more sense to just put the bonus towards our trip in another way. Thanks!
Depending on your trip, you might find GCs on Discover website to buy with your cash back. Or you can cash out $40 cashback for $50 GC at Bed Bath and Beyond, then use that GC to buy say Disney GCs.
You can also use both Freedom & Discover for $1500 each for max bonus, which might mean buying GCs for Disney, restaurants or gas at the grocery store

Last edited:
Okay, this is really bad, but prior to following along with this thread I never paid much attention to my credit cards. I've had a Discover card for forever and used it to pay off another higher APR card with a special offer low APR. I'm about to pay off the balance and I was looking at the statement and saw a cash back balance of 7.43. Well, I wanted that money so I registered that card and OMG, I learned that I can get 5% off groceries through June! I know some of you have mentioned this, but I just didn't think I had that Discover card that gave 5% back like all of you do. So, now I have to decide if I want to use my Discover card on groceries or use my CSP to earn URs. Decisions, decisions!

If it is really bad take solace because I pretty much did the same thing. I have had the Discover forever my parents helped me get it when I was a teenager. I added my DH as an AU 16 years ago (I know because shows on his credit report which helps him too). Last 10 years probably never used it. Then last fall happened to see bonus categories was Amazon and Target. Maxed it out no problem. The 5% adds up quick! I have cashed mine in for gift cards too not even necessarily as a way to get Disney but also for like Bath and Body Works as they have a get a $50 for $40 (there are a couple places that offer $10 off). We are using this quarter for groceries and then I plan to use the Freedom for Chase Pay at Best Buy. My husband was actually pretty happy when I handed him the Discover for grocery shopping. He does most our grocery shopping and his Discover design is the American flag. They have good customer service too!

Depending on your trip, you might find GCs on Discover website to buy with your cash back. Or you can cash out $40 cashback for $50 GC at Bed Bath and Beyond, then use that GC to buy say Disney GCs.
You can also use both Freedom & Discover for $1500 each for max bonus, which might mean buying GCs or Disney, restaurants or gas at the grocery store

I didn't realize that you can trade in for gift cards at a reduced rate, or that you can buy gift cards with a BB&B gift card. Thanks so much!

If it is really bad take solace because I pretty much did the same thing. I have had the Discover forever my parents helped me get it when I was a teenager. I added my DH as an AU 16 years ago (I know because shows on his credit report which helps him too). Last 10 years probably never used it. Then last fall happened to see bonus categories was Amazon and Target. Maxed it out no problem. The 5% adds up quick! I have cashed mine in for gift cards too not even necessarily as a way to get Disney but also for like Bath and Body Works as they have a get a $50 for $40 (there are a couple places that offer $10 off). We are using this quarter for groceries and then I plan to use the Freedom for Chase Pay at Best Buy. My husband was actually pretty happy when I handed him the Discover for grocery shopping. He does most our grocery shopping and his Discover design is the American flag. They have good customer service too!

It makes feel a little sick to think about all of the money I've spent on groceries over the years using my DEBIT CARD! :crazy2:

Does anyone know why my CSR says it's "ineligible" in the Chase Pay app? Both the new cards say that, but I figured the CSP might be ineligible because I don't have the card yet to activate it. But the CSR is activated and ready to go (it's getting christened at dinner tonight) and it is showing in the app, it's just black with the "ineligible" message. Has a phone number to call which I assume is customer service but I thought you guys might be faster :)

ETA: I'm mostly just curious. I didn't plan to use it in the app but when I used the app to pay at Best Buy yesterday I noticed they where there but blacked out.

If you just recently got the card, it will take a little while to be active within the app. I believe it is 10 days. When I got my CSR it was when the Best Buy Chase pay promotion was going on and I swear I checked 5 times a day to see if it was active yet!

Wow, this is a REALLY good tip in this specific situation. :)

I wish I could "like" this multiple times. I never think of things like this. Smarty!! :-)

Thanks, I can't take credit for the idea, just remembering someone else's great idea during the last sale.
I am really tempted to cash out for a Marriott nights and flights too, but I'm not sure which airline I need for a group trip to the Bahamas.

I know how you feel! I have the CSR, so when the restaurant category rolls around for Discover, I do take 3x UR over 5% back, since that's earning at least 4.5 cents per dollar... and I recently used some UR points for a Hyatt stay by transferring them, and got 2.2 cents in value.

There's some useful gift card options as @CyndiLouWho mentioned. I like the Alamo $40 for $20 one and the Landry's gift cards for travel.

Just logged into my SPG account and saw my last activity was 2000 pts and then 4000 pts... was super confused and then remembered those are the points I transferred in from MILs and FILs accounts.

Until I discovered this board my Discover card sat in the drawer for a long time. I had no idea about the 5x categories. Now i use
that card and got a Discover IT also. For no fee cards i'm very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter