I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Does anyone have a good airport hotel for Chicago? When we fly home from Japan we go to Chicago, stay one night, and then fly home the next day. We have Hilton points but the Hilton O’Hare Airport doesn’t have great reviews.
I have not stayed here but jotted it down last time we flew out of O'hare because the location was good proximity to O'hare and our preferred parking place, Preflight Parking: The Rose Hotel. I was pleased to see it's a Tapestry Collection by Hilton. 46k pts for a random nt I picked. 4.5 on google and tripadvisor.

During the great AA shut down of… 2021? ..my account, and my husbands account, were locked. I had definitely done things, on a small scale, that would have gotten my account shut down. However, it was never actually shut down. The accounts still exist, when I fly, I still earn miles. However, when we try to use the miles, it doesn’t let us and when I call it says I need to talk to the security department.

Well, I’ve been told for months, now years, that the security department will call me back however, that has never happened. Is this something I take to Twitter to complain about? If the account gets shut down, it’s no big loss frankly, since I haven’t been able to access it. I just have never complained on Twitter before….

That might be the stage before a full shutdown. From DPs I've read, it seems hard to come back from a full shutdown, so I would thinks this stage is better. I'd try opening a new account and see if you can use the miles earned there. I probably wouldn't risk earning a SUB, but if you're going to fly AA anyways might as well try for the flight miles. The Flyertalk thread might be helpful. Link

I have not stayed here but jotted it down last time we flew out of O'hare because the location was good proximity to O'hare and our preferred parking place, Preflight Parking: The Rose Hotel. I was pleased to see it's a Tapestry Collection by Hilton. 46k pts for a random nt I picked. 4.5 on google and tripadvisor.
Thanks I’ll look into it! It’ll basically just be to sleep and then fly home the next day

Just back from a long weekend at Universal Orlando, using a variety of points and credits.

We paid 105k URs for Universal tickets. The Express Passes (included with our Portofino Bay stay) were really nice to have. We've only been to Universal once 15 years ago and this set of kids have never been. The impetus for going was that both our kids have read the Harry Potter books and my youngest is a potterhead and asked to go here, rather than Disney, about a year ago. Turns out Universal just really isn't for us. We loved the World of Harry Potter (both lands) and thought they were so well done and incredibly immersive. The rest of Universal just wasn't for us. We would have been good with a one day, perhaps 2 day pass at most. We don't really do real true roller coasters. Just had no emotional connection to Universal, like we have with Disney.

We stayed 3 nights at Universal's Portofino Bay booked through FHR and had (3) $200 credits, which brought our per nt cost down to about $400 per nt. This included Unlimited Express Passes for all four of us, early check-in, guaranteed 4pm checkout, $100 resort credit (I think x2 due to separate ressies, but not sure) and $68 in breakfast credits per day. We really liked that we could use our credit in the restaurant, Starbucks or in-room dining. We were frequently able to feed all four of us for breakfast with the credit and often never felt hungry until late afternoon.

We received an "upgrade" to a bay view which didn't matter so much, but the location was superb, just off the entrance to the water taxi. Transportation to Universal via walkway or water taxi was excellent, with no stops for other hotels. I found their boats much nicer/newer than Disney's and thought they did an excellent job with transportation. We spent a lot of time at the hotel, enjoying the warm weather and the outdoor piazzas, and Sal's deli. We ate all our meals at the hotel, had a couple alcoholic drinks per day and our bill for 4 days, after all the credits was under $200. Felt like a steal.

Paid 20k RR pts/per adult/RT for SW + 2 companions. Used our monthly $30 Uber credit plus (2) Amex Uber offers, putting our Uber cost at about $35 RT from Loews to MCO.

We tried ButterBeer, chocolate frogs, participated in the wand choosing ceremony, made it rain using interactive spells, did communal table dining at the Leaky Cauldron and rode Hagrid's Motorbike twice and I got called "Madam" by the goblin at the money exchange. We definitely enjoyed our time in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

IMG_4677.jpegIMG_4633.jpegIMG_4404.jpegIMG_4569.jpeg

Last edited:
Just back from a long weekend at Universal Orlando, using a variety of points and credits.

We paid 105k URs for Universal tickets. The Express Passes (included with our Portofino Bay stay) were really nice to have. We've only been to Universal once 15 years ago and this set of kids have never been. The impetus for going was that both our kids have read the Harry Potter books and my youngest is a potterhead and asked to go here, rather than Disney, about a year ago. Turns out Universal just really isn't for us. We loved the World of Harry Potter (both lands) and thought they were so well done and incredibly immersive. The rest of Universal just wasn't for us. We would have been good with a one day, perhaps 2 day pass at most. We don't really do real true roller coasters. Just had no emotional connection to Universal, like we have with Disney.

We stayed 3 nights at Universal's Portofino Bay booked through FHR and had (3) $200 credits, which brought our per nt cost down to about $400 per nt. This included Unlimited Express Passes for all four of us, early check-in, guaranteed 4pm checkout, $100 resort credit (I think x2 due to separate ressies, but not sure) and $68 in breakfast credits per day. We really liked that we could use our credit in the restaurant, Starbucks or in-room dining. We were frequently able to feed all four of us for breakfast with the credit and often never felt hungry until late afternoon.

We received an "upgrade" to a bay view which didn't matter so much, but the location was superb, just off the entrance to the water taxi. Transportation to Universal via walkway or water taxi was excellent, with no stops for other hotels. I found their boats much nicer/newer than Disney's and thought they did an excellent job with transportation. We spent a lot of time at the hotel, enjoying the warm weather and the outdoor piazzas, and Sal's deli. We ate all our meals at the hotel, had a couple alcoholic drinks per day and our bill for 4 days, after all the credits was under $200. Felt like a steal.

Paid 20k RR pts/per adult/RT for SW + 2 companions. Used our monthly $30 Uber credit plus (2) Amex Uber offers, putting our Uber cost at about $35 RT from Loews to MCO.

We tried ButterBeer, chocolate frogs, participated in the wand choosing ceremony, made it rain using interactive spells, did communal table dining at the Leaky Cauldron and rode Hagrid's Motorbike twice and I got called "Madam" by the goblin at the money exchange. We definitely enjoyed our time in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

View attachment 810272View attachment 810273View attachment 810275View attachment 810276
My back to back separate Portofino reservations over 2 nights only got 1 $100 credit this year so sounds like a glitch. On check in the said Amex had merged my reservations. And the upgrade you got was amazing… See, I didn’t get upgraded in Oct and my view was a plastic sheet with no functioning balcony. Literally- a plastic sheet covered the window to the balcony. When I first entered the room a worker was on the balcony and I could see their outline- talk about creepy lol. Don’t think I’ve ever entered a hotel and drawn the curtains so fast!

Love the shots of the fire!

Any recommendations on what card I should add? I’m going to be spending $4000 or so soon to pay for our cruise. Any recommendations for a new card with good bonus? Should I do the Chase Sapphire Preserve? How much would the 60,000 bonus points for spending 4K give as a cash statement credit (not redeemed for travel)?

I currently have:
Discover cash back 5% rotating categories
Chase Freedom unlimited 3% dining and drugstores
Wells Fargo 2% back on everything
Chase Southwest (don’t use anymore because don’t fly much)

The Wells Fargo is the only new card I’ve gotten and it was within the past year.

Any recommendations on what card I should add? I’m going to be spending $4000 or so soon to pay for our cruise. Any recommendations for a new card with good bonus? Should I do the Chase Sapphire Preserve? How much would the 60,000 bonus points for spending 4K give as a cash statement credit (not redeemed for travel)?

I currently have:
Discover cash back 5% rotating categories
Chase Freedom unlimited 3% dining and drugstores
Wells Fargo 2% back on everything
Chase Southwest (don’t use anymore because don’t fly much)

The Wells Fargo is the only new card I’ve gotten and it was within the past year.
The CSP and CSR cards earn Ultimate Rewards that are worth 0.01 a piece as cash. So 60k is $600, plus at least $40 earned from the spending (travel purchases would earn more). If you're ok with biz cards, the Chase Ink Cash (CIC) and Unlimited (CIU) cards currently have a 90k ($900) bonus with a $6k spend and no annual fee.

Last edited:
I'm trying to convince someone that stuff sold on Facebook marketplace is a "business." When filling out the applications, what do you guys check as type of business for something like that?

Can someone remind me what Amex's rule (if they have a hard rule) for inquiries is? I have actually never applied for a personal Amex, I don't think.

I currently have 2 Amex BBP and a substantial number of Chase Biz cards, as well as two Chase personal cards. I am currently 2/24 with the most recent being opened in August 2023.... I just can't remember what matters for Amex.

Can someone remind me what Amex's rule (if they have a hard rule) for inquiries is? I have actually never applied for a personal Amex, I don't think.

I currently have 2 Amex BBP and a substantial number of Chase Biz cards, as well as two Chase personal cards. I am currently 2/24 with the most recent being opened in August 2023.... I just can't remember what matters for Amex.
No rules. They’ll probably run your credit since this will be your first personal card, but I don’t even unlock my credit reports when applying for an Amex card.

My back to back separate Portofino reservations over 2 nights only got 1 $100 credit this year so sounds like a glitch. On check in the said Amex had merged my reservations. And the upgrade you got was amazing… See, I didn’t get upgraded in Oct and my view was a plastic sheet with no functioning balcony. Literally- a plastic sheet covered the window to the balcony. When I first entered the room a worker was on the balcony and I could see their outline- talk about creepy lol. Don’t think I’ve ever entered a hotel and drawn the curtains so fast!

Love the shots of the fire!

I guess I didn't know a plastic sheet view was an option 😁 , so yes, definitely an upgrade. We commented so many times how the West Wing and our room location was really the upgrade; it was such a great location.

We did have 3 back to back reservations, 2 different names and they did merge our reservations. I wasn't expecting more than the $100 credit bc I know the Amex fine print and they don't show the deductions on the final folio, but when I do the math it looks like they did give us (2) $100 credits. So a nice treat, but agreed, one shouldn't expect it if booking back to backs.

New Amex offer
OfficeDepot

Spend $100 or more, get $15 back
OfficeDepot.com
EXPIRES
02/14/2024
Redeem Now

DETAILS​

Get a one-time $15 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $100 in one or more purchases online at officedepot.com by 2/14/2024. See terms.

Excludes orders placed online for in-store pick up. Excludes ODP Business Solutions and OfficeMax military stores. Excludes gift card purchases.

Dh got a pop up on his Amex account to upgrade his Business Gold to a Platinum. It says $10,000 spend to earn 140k points. Is this a good deal?
Did you see an expiration date? DW received the same offer and I messaged Amex about when it expires and they gave me a number to call which she isn't going to do.

We're looking at a cruise on NCL for next fall - unfortunately I don't have an NCL offer on any of my AmEx cards.

I got quotes through cruise compete and one of them mentions a $300 OBC if booked with AmEx card. I remember reading somewhere about benefits with certain travel agents if you book with AmEx. Is there anything else I need to do through this travel agent to get the AmEx benefits other than booking with our AmEx?

I'm probably going to cancel our Platinum cards unless we get really good retention offers. Would it matter if I don't still have the AmEx card open when we actually cruise next fall?

New Amex offer
OfficeDepot

Spend $100 or more, get $15 back
OfficeDepot.com
EXPIRES
02/14/2024
Redeem Now

DETAILS​

Get a one-time $15 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend a minimum of $100 in one or more purchases online at officedepot.com by 2/14/2024. See terms.

Excludes orders placed online for in-store pick up. Excludes ODP Business Solutions and OfficeMax military stores. Excludes gift card purchases.
I know it says excludes gift cards but wonder if it still works...like chase offe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter