I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

My two cents on the cruise good deals...

DH and I cruise a decent amount (usually 3 or so a year the past few years). We normally cruise with Carnival though, so some of this may not apply. With our jobs, we are limited to specific weeks / months that we can take vacation, so we have a pretty narrow window of dates we can choose from. I typically start at vacationstogo to see all cruises that are available for our date we are looking at. As far as I know, they show all cruise lines and it's pretty easy to filter by date / departure port / cruise line / price / length / etc to see what's available.

I know the gift cards were mentioned and they work great for Carnival. I buy them through AARP and get 10% off. You can use them for everything - deposit, payments, gratuities, onboard charges, etc. It's an easy way to save 10% on Carnival cruises. The princess gift cards work the same way, but it's my understanding that the Royal Caribbean cards have different restrictions, so definitely check up on them.

We've also used cruise compete to get some kickbacks. Our last cruise was on Princess and we booked it through costco. They had a promotion to get the Princess Plus package included and we got some good costco cash back when we returned. I was also able to use the Princess 10% off cards to pay through them.

We are cruising out of New York for the first time in February and I can't wait. I know it will probably be cold when we leave there, but that makes it that much more fun to get to the warm weather!
We mostly sail Carnival as well. I have in the past booked with my CSR at the 1.5 rate (Essentially a $3000 cruise would cost 200,000 points or $2,000 - you do have to pay right away).

You can also book with Carnival direct. I tend to do that as I have a Carnival PVP and he gets me my best deals and changes anything for me that is needed. You could either cash out UR's for statement credits or if you have Cap One Miles you can put payments on your Cap One Cards (Venture or Venture X) and use PYB for those charges.

So, you could save doing a few of these methods. Chase recently had promo offers on some cards for 15% back - up to $129. I have this on one card and DH had on one card. I went to Carnival's website and did 2 different purchases for $800 in gift cards. My credit has already posted by Chase. This way I can use the Gift Card for a future cruise or for spending on the ship. AMEX sometimes has different offers like this too - they come up randomly but a nice way to save a bit. Have seen them for a few different cruise lines.

We mostly sail Carnival as well. I have in the past booked with my CSR at the 1.5 rate (Essentially a $3000 cruise would cost 200,000 points or $2,000 - you do have to pay right away).

You can also book with Carnival direct. I tend to do that as I have a Carnival PVP and he gets me my best deals and changes anything for me that is needed. You could either cash out UR's for statement credits or if you have Cap One Miles you can put payments on your Cap One Cards (Venture or Venture X) and use PYB for those charges.

So, you could save doing a few of these methods. Chase recently had promo offers on some cards for 15% back - up to $129. I have this on one card and DH had on one card. I went to Carnival's website and did 2 different purchases for $800 in gift cards. My credit has already posted by Chase. This way I can use the Gift Card for a future cruise or for spending on the ship. AMEX sometimes has different offers like this too - they come up randomly but a nice way to save a bit. Have seen them for a few different cruise lines.

I typically book with our PVP as well - especially if we have more than one cabin sailing. It makes it so much easier!

I've had a few chase promos, but never 15% back. My best one was $35 off $100, which is a great percentage, but pretty limited. I've had that one time on DH and my Hyatt personal cards.

I keep going back and forth on booking with my CSR points or using the 10% off gift cards. So far, I've had plenty to use the points on (getting at least the 1.5 rate or sometimes higher transferring), but if I get another couple cards, I may start using them to book cruises. I've somewhat been using the purchase of the gift cards to help meet SUBs too, which makes it nice when we don't have other spends coming up to meet it with.

This might be a long shot, but anyone have experience depositing a foreign currency check (British pounds to be specific)?

Our train in London was delayed and we were entitled to a refund. I did the online request and there was an option for a refund to cc, but it failed and now they've sent me a check. :faint: I googled up something that said Schwab would take it with no fee and I just chatted to ask, but nope only checks in CDN (yup, the reddit post I found was for CDN).

It's only 27 GBP, but I'm not one to leave money on the table if I can help it. Of course, if the fees are more than the amount that wouldn't make sense either.

Thank you. I found a dress in my closet that hit 2" below my knees and went with closed-toe shoes. Some people were wearing jeans, t-shirts and sandals. Guess the dress code has changed over the years? Not sure. Would never send flowers to a Jewish funeral home. When it is appropriate to go to shiva? I didn't go today because we weren't finished at the cemetery until after 4pm and shiva is 2-4 and 7-9.

It was such a sudden and tragic loss. Life is too short.
anytime. they don't sit shiva on Shabbos and some don't sit for the entire week.

I'll never forget a former bf bringing a poinsettia plant when he came to pay respects when my father died. it was the week beore Christmas. The thought was there!

Any tips on booking business class to Scotland? We are a party of 2 and east coast based, so can position to DC, NYC, etc. Planning ahead for September 2024. I've got a bunch of MRs and URs (slight preference to use MRs if possible).

I am thinking about taking just a carry-on to the Maldives and Scandinavia in September. Part of my plan is buying a few pieces of Merino wool clothing (2 t-shirts, tank top, l/s t-shirt and active-wear l/s for hiking). Does anyone have any pieces? What is the truth about needing to wash? I'm not a sweaty person, but when I workout I do sweat (a lot lol) and I anticipate hiking in Norway will be strenuous. Will it be possible to wear the same t-shirts for several days w/o washing?

Also for those that take carry-on only, how do you do the workout sneakers? I need to take my hiking shoes, so that is what I will wear on the plane. I'll also need sneakers for working out, flip flops for the beach and casual shoes for everyday. That's a lot of shoes! Any shoes that are good for running and also look decent with jeans? Plus I'll be collecting 4 pairs of pajamas (2 first class emirates flights and 1 first and 1 Q-Suite flight with Qatar), but I will be taking a collapsible ABD duffle with me for things that I collect along the way (ahem, amenity kits and pajamas lol).

Any tips on booking business class to Scotland? We are a party of 2 and east coast based, so can position to DC, NYC, etc. Planning ahead for September 2024. I've got a bunch of MRs and URs (slight preference to use MRs if possible).
Right now there is a 30% transfer bonus of MRs to British Airways. If you don't mind dealing with the crazy taxes and fees, British Airways is usually easy to book. They tend to release 4J seats at opening, 355 days out. JFK-EDI for next July is 90k miles per person one way plus $350 in taxes and fees. So you could transfer roughly 70K MRs per person. I have a tendency to look at BA like buying a coach ticket $700 - $900 in taxes and fees per person RT and using miles to upgrade to business.

This might be a long shot, but anyone have experience depositing a foreign currency check (British pounds to be specific)?

Our train in London was delayed and we were entitled to a refund. I did the online request and there was an option for a refund to cc, but it failed and now they've sent me a check. :faint: I googled up something that said Schwab would take it with no fee and I just chatted to ask, but nope only checks in CDN (yup, the reddit post I found was for CDN).

It's only 27 GBP, but I'm not one to leave money on the table if I can help it. Of course, if the fees are more than the amount that wouldn't make sense either.
For a check in GBP I'd probably go to the branch, just to be sure they deposit in the correct currency. And I hate going in to the bank.

I am thinking about taking just a carry-on to the Maldives and Scandinavia in September. Part of my plan is buying a few pieces of Merino wool clothing (2 t-shirts, tank top, l/s t-shirt and active-wear l/s for hiking). Does anyone have any pieces? What is the truth about needing to wash? I'm not a sweaty person, but when I workout I do sweat (a lot lol) and I anticipate hiking in Norway will be strenuous. Will it be possible to wear the same t-shirts for several days w/o washing?

Also for those that take carry-on only, how do you do the workout sneakers? I need to take my hiking shoes, so that is what I will wear on the plane. I'll also need sneakers for working out, flip flops for the beach and casual shoes for everyday. That's a lot of shoes! Any shoes that are good for running and also look decent with jeans? Plus I'll be collecting 4 pairs of pajamas (2 first class emirates flights and 1 first and 1 Q-Suite flight with Qatar), but I will be taking a collapsible ABD duffle with me for things that I collect along the way (ahem, amenity kits and pajamas lol).
I don't currently have any pieces but am planning to create a capsule for when I want to do carry on only. There is a FB group I follow called Travel Fashion Girls. They have tons of great recommendations by travelers. Merino wool, carry on only and shoes are always a hot topic of discussion. Lots of reviews and pictures from the women and it is a very informative and active group. There's over 110,000 women on there that cover a wide range of ages, shapes and sizes. Incredibly informative for everything with regards on what to pack etc.

Right now there is a 30% transfer bonus of MRs to British Airways. If you don't mind dealing with the crazy taxes and fees, British Airways is usually easy to book. They tend to release 4J seats at opening, 355 days out. JFK-EDI for next July is 90k miles per person one way plus $350 in taxes and fees. So you could transfer roughly 70K MRs per person. I have a tendency to look at BA like buying a coach ticket $700 - $900 in taxes and fees per person RT and using miles to upgrade to business.
Second this. BA is usually very reliable about releasing their award seats. I've been able to secure seats 4-6 months out in biz class. Their new product on the A350s is nice. Try to avoid the old 777 (or 787s) that have 1 forward / 1 backward facing seat (therefore making the person in the window seat have to step over the person in aisle seat to go to the bathroom).

I have a thin l/s merino wool sweater that I love. I can't say that I've done any strenuous hiking in it but I would agree it does resist odor. I love it because it keeps me warm but it's very thin. I also have merino wool long underwear that I love for the same reason. I bought them about 20 years ago for a baselayer for XC skiing and they wear like iron. Definitely would recommend merino wool.

I assume it's sort of cool in Scandinavia in September? Whenever I go on a cool weather trip, I always take several of the 32 Degree l/s lightweight base layer that are sold in 2 packs at Costco (but also available on 32 degree website). I wear them all winter under other clothes (either l/s tees, hoodies sweaters, or cardigans) and also sleep in them. TBH, I love them! They are super thin and take no space in your bag plus you can wash them out in the hotel sink and they dry in no time.

Wondering if anyone has a favorite Paris hotel? the choices are overwhelming.
Some of the favorites mentioned here:
Dress Code (small boutique but good location on quiet street)
Park Hyatt!!! (if you have enough points or are wealthy enough to afford)
Hilton Paris Opera (I did a review over on the credit card hotel thread)
Hilton Paris La Defense (good point rate but not in the city center)

Check Virgin. They often have a good rate on their Upper Class, but their fees can be high. I would also look at Flying Blue (Air France and KLM) and United. I'm no expert, but I have had good luck finding good points rates about 5-6 months out. Some people are not comfortable waiting that long to book, but I have had luck the past 2 years. I recommend checking all the airlines that might work for you on a daily basis for a few weeks (at least) to get an idea of what is a good deal. Then book when you see the rate you are comfortable with on the date(s) you want.

Before my trip to Europe in May, I would have NEVER said I could wear the same thing several times without washing. I did it on my trip and it was fine. I took Downy Wrinkle Release and used that to freshen them up as needed. However, I just heard about about Soak rinseless detergent the other day (it may have even been someone here that mentioned it). I recommend Travel Tips by Laurie on YT for lots of tips about saving space while using carry on only. She is a pilot's wife who has been packing carry on only for years. I am a former flight attendant and I still learned several tips from her. A large personal item is also a must in my opinion. I used the Travel Pro Maxlite Weekender. It's very large but none of the airlines I flew questioned it (Delta regional jet, United, KLM intra Europe and International).

I can't speak to merino wool, but I do recommend layering and darker colors for tops and pants so they don't show dirt. I invested in 2 cashmere sweaters (I got mine on sale at Macy's at the end of the season but you can check Quince). I packed both short and long sleeved shirts to wear under them. I second PP's recommendation of the 32 Degree brand. I ordered one of their hooded down jackets for my trip. I ended up not taking it, but I got it for $25 and love it.

For those that live near QTs, I had a spend $50 in store get $20 back offer on both mine and DH’s Amex (Hilton). Probably buy gift cards and then use for gas! I usually get these in really small amounts, like $5 back, so this one is nice!
Wow I wish! I buy QT gift cards for employee Christmas gifts (all I can afford for 25 people). Sadly, neither of my BBP's have this offer.

Can I ask why not? Is there a risk?
Some believe taking advantage of Chase bank bonuses puts additional eyes on your account such that it may increase risks if there are velocity or other concerns. But, I've done multiple Chase bonuses and never had an issue and I plan to do the $900 before it expires 10/18. I hate Chase's proclivity for locking online access any time you move a decent sum of money via ACH though lol.

I have never run in them but check out allbirds. They are lightweight and easy to pack and could be worn with jeans.

I have been avoiding bank bonuses because I am always leery of being able to get my direct deposit changed in a timely manner (I've literally never changed the DD in the 20 years I've worked there).

But I just looked up "ACH transfer" because I didn't know what it meant, exactly, and there is a Chase Business Complete Checking bonus where it say "Fund with $2000 new money" and then leave it there for some period of time and make sure to complete 5 qualifying transactions... which include ACH Transfers.

I currently have money sitting in an Amex high yield savings.

Could I use the money there both to fund a Chase Complete Checking and then just transfer little amounts into it from that same Amex account to qualify? I am not sure exactly what "new money" means.

I do not currently have any sort of checking or savings with Chase- only credit cards.

Could I use the money there both to fund a Chase Complete Checking and then just transfer little amounts into it from that same Amex account to qualify? I am not sure exactly what "new money" means.

I do not currently have any sort of checking or savings with Chase- only credit cards.
Yes, that is exactly what I've read has been done with these offers previously. New Money means money that wasn't being held as a deposit with Chase previously. For instance if you used Chase for your primary banking, using money from that account would not be New Money. Transferring it in from AMEX would be.

Some believe taking advantage of Chase bank bonuses puts additional eyes on your account such that it may increase risks if there are velocity or other concerns. But, I've done multiple Chase bonuses and never had an issue and I plan to do the $900 before it expires 10/18. I hate Chase's proclivity for locking online access any time you move a decent sum of money via ACH though lol.
Thanks! I have always wondered about that. DH previously opened a ckg/svg for a bonus and he is planning to keep them open for awhile. It's so easy to manage on the app. His DD goes in and then is used to pay the cc. The savings account is pretty worthless though because of the low interest.

The new $900 offer - it appears to be targeted? I hope it goes public as I will probably open one too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter