• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really a lot of excitement yesterday for not much at all. Only thing Japan ended up doing is stopping pcr tests if you've had 3 doses as of Sept 7.

The leak about the unguided tours didn't get announced so nothing else changed.
yea I've given up on this until 2024

I'm over 48 mos on my CSR but I'm afraid of getting denied and losing my CSR!
I still have a few months to go, but this is my fear too. Has this been happening lately? I feel like most of the denials I've heard lately are for the biz cards.

Posted a review of the Conrad Tulum Riviera Maya in the hotel thread, here.

Just wanted to share what a great long weekend it was. We've really been enjoying these 4 and 5 day trips, which add so much to our quality of life. It helps maximize vacation days and is great for someone who loves to plan and get the deal, like me.

Booked through Amex Plat, paid net of $819 for 3 nts in partial ocean view room with these FHR benefits:
Early check-in 12pm
Breakfast for 2 daily
Late Check out, 4pm
Upgrade if available
$150 property credit*

As a Hilton Diamond, I receive most of these benefits, but the $200 Amex Plat credit and $150 property credit gave FHR the edge. We were arriving very early, about noon, so I was hoping for the early check-in. *Turns out, and this was clarified twice, that they provided both the standard $100 property credit and stacked another $150 property credit on top of it. Pretty sweet and unexpected. Wondering if this is a mistake, and if not, makes me interested to review other FHR promotions, as this was booked as a third night free + $150 property credit.

SW RT, nonstop 17kRR/pp + 2 CP + taxes
$185 RT private transportation from CUN to resort, about 1hr20mins
$32 trip medical insurance

Overall a great trip and I'd definitely recommend this property. Here's some additional photos:

IMG-9975.jpg
IMG-0075.jpg

IMG-9976.jpgIMG-9980.jpg

IMG-0580.jpgIMG-0022.jpgIMG-0583.jpg

IMG-0096.jpg
IMG-0016.jpg

Just thought I'd share a recent redemption of URs and MRs - it's the biggest one I've done and I think I got a really good deal.

Back story: In 2020, I was supposed to take oldest DD on a trip to Italy and Greece for her high school graduation, then covid hit, so we had to cancel. It is the 2 of us, plus my best friend and her daughter - we have now rescheduled for next year, late May into early June. Ideally we would fly out of Hartford, but international flights are limited and prices are high, so I checked Boston and NYC as well. I ended up finding flights from JFK to Venice, and Athens to JFK, on Air France, for 30,000 miles each way, per person, for premium economy. Both URs and MRs transfer to Flying Blue (Air France & KLM) 1 to 1. So I transferred 120,000 URs and 120,000 MRs to book our flights, for a total of 240,000 miles plus $1500 in taxes. The cash cost for those same flights, in the same class, would be about $8700 for the 4 of us! If my math is correct, that's a redemption rate of about 3 cents per point.

Also wanted to add that I flew Southwest into O'hare, which is a newer airport for Southwest, as previously they only used Midway. Nonstop flight from Cancun. Time got away from us on vacay and we checked in about an hour late, which is very, very rare for us. I'm kind of a stickler about that. We still got A boarding, so I took that to mean there would be lots of open seats on the flight.

Um, no. It was a completely full flight. Every single seat. I guess this was the traveler type that doesn't fly southwest a lot? Boarding was... special. The poor flight attendants trying to get travelers to find a seat. People sitting in the front, but their luggage in the way back. People using the bathroom during boarding and then trying to make their way back up the aisle.

I will think twice about flying into ORD on SW again, just because ORD is such a hassle. Even when you get in early, you end up being late bc you know their gates are never ready. GE was easy peasy- actually one of my favs in all of the country. But the line for customs was super long and people just cut in constantly. I just can't with that...

Can anyone give me some insight on the "guaranteed availability" benefit as a Hyatt Explorist? I just matched to that status from my MGM Gold today (thank you again, @wanderlust7 !!) and was looking at the benefits, and noticed this one. I was just able to book the long-sold-out Hyatt in my son's college town for parents' weekend in October. The rate does show "GUAR AVL," but otherwise my confirmation looks like a normal confirmation. I saw that guaranteed availability can have blackout dates - I couldn't find a list of those, and I would have thought that parents' weekend would have been blacked out, but I assume it wouldn't have confirmed the reservation if those dates were in fact blacked out? It just seems too good to be true, and I'm nervous we'll show up and there will be no room at the inn. Does guaranteed availablility REALLY mean guaranteed availability? I've got a reservation at another hotel, but at 2x the cost and with a 30-day cancellation policy, so I won't have a backup plan if something goes awry at the Hyatt.

Can anyone give me some insight on the "guaranteed availability" benefit as a Hyatt Explorist? I just matched to that status from my MGM Gold today (thank you again, @wanderlust7 !!) and was looking at the benefits, and noticed this one. I was just able to book the long-sold-out Hyatt in my son's college town for parents' weekend in October. The rate does show "GUAR AVL," but otherwise my confirmation looks like a normal confirmation. I saw that guaranteed availability can have blackout dates - I couldn't find a list of those, and I would have thought that parents' weekend would have been blacked out, but I assume it wouldn't have confirmed the reservation if those dates were in fact blacked out? It just seems too good to be true, and I'm nervous we'll show up and there will be no room at the inn. Does guaranteed availablility REALLY mean guaranteed availability? I've got a reservation at another hotel, but at 2x the cost and with a 30-day cancellation policy, so I won't have a backup plan if something goes awry at the Hyatt.
I was just reading about guaranteed availability. Not sure if it was specific to Hyatt, but yes the rate shows up only for those who have that benefit. It is typically the rack rate, no discounts. Blackout dates would apply to if the hotel is oversold by a certain amount or if the hotel has a buyout, such as a corporate function.

You shouldn't have any problems. Now if you say you are arriving at 11pm, we might be concerned that you'd get walked.

Really dumb question. If I used offers for Shop Disney for 10% off back around Jan/Feb of this year (it was a Mar trip), and I see those offers now again, will I still get the credit or is a per year thing?

I've really only used the CC offers a few times here and there and this would be the first time using them again for same vendor. But I think these are "new" offers?

Really dumb question. If I used offers for Shop Disney for 10% off back around Jan/Feb of this year (it was a Mar trip), and I see those offers now again, will I still get the credit or is a per year thing?

I've really only used the CC offers a few times here and there and this would be the first time using them again for same vendor. But I think these are "new" offers?
Yep they are new and you can use them again! You’ll know that they are new because they have a plus sign (to add them to your card). If it’s a green check, then you’ve already added (and it generally doesn’t disappear until it expires, even if you’ve used it - but you can only use it once)

I received an email from Chase telling me my card was "eligible for these valuable perks": Save $10 when I download a gas station app and spend $20 and Get 5% back in statement credits on up to $200 in Amazon.com purchases from 7/19/22-9/30/22.

These don't show up in my offers online. Is there a place to see if there are other "perks" like this that can be activated? Now I'm thinking I've probably deleted a bunch since I previously thought they were just marketing the offers I could add to card.

Also wanted to add that I flew Southwest into O'hare, which is a newer airport for Southwest, as previously they only used Midway. Nonstop flight from Cancun. Time got away from us on vacay and we checked in about an hour late, which is very, very rare for us. I'm kind of a stickler about that. We still got A boarding, so I took that to mean there would be lots of open seats on the flight.

Um, no. It was a completely full flight. Every single seat. I guess this was the traveler type that doesn't fly southwest a lot? Boarding was... special. The poor flight attendants trying to get travelers to find a seat. People sitting in the front, but their luggage in the way back. People using the bathroom during boarding and then trying to make their way back up the aisle.

I will think twice about flying into ORD on SW again, just because ORD is such a hassle. Even when you get in early, you end up being late bc you know their gates are never ready. GE was easy peasy- actually one of my favs in all of the country. But the line for customs was super long and people just cut in constantly. I just can't with that...
100% agree with the SW chaos at ORD. Believe it or not, it has improved since last October. We have flown about 8 RT to RSW from ORD since last fall. We have frequently found that the 24 hour check in mark has been easier to get A group. The gates have been a mess but are finally improving. Our last 2 round trips this summer were on time! Landed early but needed to wait for gates to become available.
The security lines going into the international terminal are a nightmare. They opened the TSA pre check line in May but the regular line in very long! Haven’t checked bags very often, but last fall/holiday the baggage line were 45 min+.

Does anyone know if DVC rental ( DVC store or David’s Vacation Club) code as travel with Chase?

Last edited:
I need someone to tell me if it makes sense for us to apply for a SWA card of any kind. We aren’t what I call frequent flyers, we (3 of us) probably fly RT to MCO 1-2 times a year, and (2 of us) sometimes RT to HOU 1 time a year or at least every other year. We normally fly from MEM, but can fly from JAN, if that means anything. We just purchased DVC in May on our new CSP (which we got in May just to make the purchase for the SUB). I’m sure I’ll give more info below then anyone needs, so sorry about that.

We have these chase cards already. My husband and I are both authorized users on all of them, except he’s not on Slate or Disney
*Regular Freedom (since 09/2005)
*Slate (since 07/2015) only me
*Freedom Unlimited (since 05/2016)
*Amazon Prime visa (9/2012)
*Disney visa (since 10/2008)
*Sapphire preferred (since 05/2022)

Then, if it matters, we also have 2 Citi double cash cards, regular discover card, Barclays upromise and old navy and us bank Kroger and platinum visa I think it’s called, lowe’s, Victoria’s Secret, care credit. The newest one we got in 2016 and the oldest in 2005.

Looking at my chase app, I only have 1 credit inquiry from 5/2021

My husband shows 4 credit inquiries: 3 were on 10/2021 for buying a truck, then 1 on 05/2022 for CSP.

I’ve tried to do some research on my own, but all the SWA card options overwhelm me. We do not have a business. We are not accustomed to AF’s so that’s a whole new thing to us. We always buy EBCI on flights. I charge everything possible on whichever card is best for the situation, even though I hate having all those monthly patents, plus it’s a lot to keep up with. Mostly I use CSP now, and regular Freedom for bonuses. I buy gas and groceries on Kroger. I use Amazon every time I make an order, which is a lot 🤦🏼‍♀️ That’s pretty much it. We are not big spenders except for on vacation so maybe an average $2,000 a month in recurring charges. The SWA CP intrigues me. I saw where it’s recommended to apply in October and let it post in January for the full advantage of time. We do plan on a total kitchen remodel in the near future so that’ll be a big cost for us that we could put toward the SUB. No estimate yet on cost. We also plan on a trip to Aulani in the next year or two using our new DVC points.

What would be the best thing to do or is it worth it to us to add this card to our pile? I just don’t want to get it if we wouldn’t maximize its benefits with our limited flying each year and want to make sure if we do get it, the AF is worth paying. I certainly don’t like to waste my money and I hardly ever cancel a credit card as you can see, because some of them haven’t been used once in years and years. I’d like to hear from the experts please !!!

Good morning all!

I am wondering if anyone, besides me, got an email from "Chase in Partner with MSI International" stating:
Chase needs your feedback. Chase strives to provide the best financial services and card benefits for their customers. Chase has commissioned MSI, a market research supplier, to conduct a survey to help Chase better understand and meet the needs of their valued customers.

It goes on to say that the survey will take about 15-20 minutes and that those who qualify and complete the survey will receive a $10 Amazon gift card via email....
There are a bunch of links at the bottom.

I haven't clicked on anything and am thinking that this is certainly a scam of some sort. Anyone else get this? I'm that person that never clicks on anything and never answers an unknownn phone number. :rolleyes1
I got it too. I ignored it the first time, then got a reminder email.
I clicked.
I started doing the survey then had second thoughts as it dawned on me I just clicked a link in an unsolicited email and it could be a scam so I closed it.

I need someone to tell me if it makes sense for us to apply for a SWA card of any kind. We aren’t what I call frequent flyers, we (3 of us) probably fly RT to MCO 1-2 times a year, and (2 of us) sometimes RT to HOU 1 time a year or at least every other year. We normally fly from MEM, but can fly from JAN, if that means anything. We just purchased DVC in May on our new CSP (which we got in May just to make the purchase for the SUB). I’m sure I’ll give more info below then anyone needs, so sorry about that.

We have these chase cards already. My husband and I are both authorized users on all of them, except he’s not on Slate or Disney
*Regular Freedom (since 09/2005)
*Slate (since 07/2015) only me
*Freedom Unlimited (since 05/2016)
*Amazon Prime visa (9/2012)
*Disney visa (since 10/2008)
*Sapphire preferred (since 05/2022)

Then, if it matters, we also have 2 Citi double cash cards, regular discover card, Barclays upromise and old navy and us bank Kroger and platinum visa I think it’s called, lowe’s, Victoria’s Secret, care credit. The newest one we got in 2016 and the oldest in 2005.

Looking at my chase app, I only have 1 credit inquiry from 5/2021

My husband shows 4 credit inquiries: 3 were on 10/2021 for buying a truck, then 1 on 05/2022 for CSP.

I’ve tried to do some research on my own, but all the SWA card options overwhelm me. We do not have a business. We are not accustomed to AF’s so that’s a whole new thing to us. We always buy EBCI on flights. I charge everything possible on whichever card is best for the situation, even though I hate having all those monthly patents, plus it’s a lot to keep up with. Mostly I use CSP now, and regular Freedom for bonuses. I buy gas and groceries on Kroger. I use Amazon every time I make an order, which is a lot 🤦🏼‍♀️ That’s pretty much it. We are not big spenders except for on vacation so maybe an average $2,000 a month in recurring charges. The SWA CP intrigues me. I saw where it’s recommended to apply in October and let it post in January for the full advantage of time. We do plan on a total kitchen remodel in the near future so that’ll be a big cost for us that we could put toward the SUB. No estimate yet on cost. We also plan on a trip to Aulani in the next year or two using our new DVC points.

What would be the best thing to do or is it worth it to us to add this card to our pile? I just don’t want to get it if we wouldn’t maximize its benefits with our limited flying each year and want to make sure if we do get it, the AF is worth paying. I certainly don’t like to waste my money and I hardly ever cancel a credit card as you can see, because some of them haven’t been used once in years and years. I’d like to hear from the experts please !!!
To maximize the benefit of the companion pass, it is best to try and meet the spend as early as possible in 2023. This would give you the CP for the rest of 2023 and all of 2024!
To achieve this, it is recommended that you apply later this fall (late Oct-Dec). Typically, there has been a decent SUB to get you started on the CP. Big caution is DO NOT meet the spend before your December statement closes! Otherwise, those points will become 2022 points.
I am not well versed in the double dip (to try and get 2 personal cards).
In our house, we alternate CP for Player 1 for two years and then CP for Player 2 for 2 years. Has worked out great for the last 6 years!

Any idea why a Disney gift card would be placed on a temporary hold??? Trying to pay off my room and couldn’t get balance on the card. Called the gift card line and that’s what I’m told…there’s several hundred on this card so I’m really nervous! They told me to send an email but I haven’t heard back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter