I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know whether an hour and 19 minutes' layover/change of plane in Calgary should be sufficient? I will (unfortunately) also have a checked bag.

Anyone know whether an hour and 19 minutes' layover/change of plane in Calgary should be sufficient? I will (unfortunately) also have a checked bag.
Going there or coming home? It's the clearing customs thing. Also, some canadian airports you clear us customs before leaving canada so you'll want to check that and account for it.

Hopefully someone will know. Only time I flew there was from BC, was cheaper/easier to drive up to abbotsford, park for free, and fly west jet to Calgary. Was in 2000.

Going there or coming home? It's the clearing customs thing. Also, some canadian airports you clear us customs before leaving canada so you'll want to check that and account for it.

Hopefully someone will know. Only time I flew there was from BC, was cheaper/easier to drive up to abbotsford, park for free, and fly west jet to Calgary. Was in 2000.
Oh gosh I didn't even think about that. Both directions I guess.
Did not even THINK about customs.

Can you tell I rarely travel internationally??

I just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in Italy and Greece (and a surprise 2 days in Paris) and our flight home was canceled due to the Lufthansa strike. I thought I would share our experience here in case it helps someone! We had used United miles to book our flight home on Lufthansa. Our flight was supposed to be at 6:55 am on July 27 and we were notified of the flight cancelation the day before about noon. We received an email that said your flight was canceled and we will send you more info. As soon as we sat down for lunch I started to try and chat with Lufthansa and they were completely unhelpful. I entered our flight info and the chat just said your flight has been canceled and there are no alternatives. I tried contacting United and their chat times were over a 2 hour wait. We called Lufthansa and their voice messaging just said no one is available. I decided to try calling United while waiting for their chat and after a 1 1/2 hour on hold and an hour phone call they told me they could get me on a flight on August 4th. I decided at this point to head to the airport to try and talk to someone with Lufthansa. It is an hour subway ride from Athens to the airport and then I waited another 2 hours in line to talk to someone. During this time I was researching flights to try and find a way home. Basically all flights were getting booked, but I did find a flight to Paris on the 27th with Air France and then home on the 29th with Delta. I had all the flight numbers ready when I finally reached the agent. At this point he pointed to everyone in line behind me and told them he wasn't going to help anyone else and to come back at 4 am. The agent first gave the August 4th home option which I refused and then I gave him the info of the flights I wanted and he went ahead and booked me on them. The flights would have been over $4,000 each! Basically the moral of my story is if you have a flight cancellation and can't reach the airline - go to the airport early and research the flights you want to be booked on. Now I'm just hoping to be refunded the cost of the hotel (a Paris hotel room for 4 last minute in July was not cheap!) and food either through Lufthansa or luckily I did pay the taxes and fees with my CSR so hopefully that insurance will help also! I will report back when I find out.

Sorry that happened but you handled it like a pro and a few extra days in Paris to boot! Please look into EU261 compensation AND duty to care compensation. You would file that with Lufthansa, as they were the airline which was supposed to operate the flight. Now Lufthansa may claim "extraordinary circumstances" however it's still worth filing a claim for compensation bc I think it could be as much as 600 euros per ticketed passenger. Regardless, duty to care compensation should apply, which would be for reasonable meals, transportation, phone calls and accommodations and that is not subject to the "extraordinary circumstances" exception.

https://onemileatatime.com/guides/europe-flight-compensation-eu261/

Sorry that happened but you handled it like a pro and a few extra days in Paris to boot! Please look into EU261 compensation AND duty to care compensation. You would file that with Lufthansa, as they were the airline which was supposed to operate the flight. Now Lufthansa may claim "extraordinary circumstances" however it's still worth filing a claim for compensation bc I think it could be as much as 600 euros per ticketed passenger. Regardless, duty to care compensation should apply, which would be for reasonable meals, transportation, phone calls and accommodations and that is not subject to the "extraordinary circumstances" exception.

https://onemileatatime.com/guides/europe-flight-compensation-eu261/
Thanks this is exactly the info I needed! I have some screenshots from their website about compensation, but the names for the compensation is what I’m missing!

I have a SW Luv voucher with some unused funds. LUV vouchers can't be applied to taxes, which are about $100 for an intl flight.
I really thought travel funds could be applied towards taxes/fees. Does anyone know? I was thinking of converting a LUV voucher to a flight, then canceling for travel funds, then applying those travel funds towards taxes/fees. Anyone know if that would work?
FYI, this loophole is working and according to FT, it sounds like SW agents are instructing guests to do this.
I think someone here recently had a bunch of vouchers they were trying to use before expiring.

Calgary is a small airport, so 1h19m should be fine. You will (or should) clear customs in Saskatoon -- in Calgary you will be transiting from one gate to another. Saskatoon is a very small airport so I'd say the chances of you getting pulled for random COVID testing are very, very slim.

I highly recommend Ayden Kitchen & Bar in Saskatoon (make reservations ahead of time). The owner was the winner of Top Chef Canada season 1. Service is amazing and the food is excellent. Also if you like chocolates Harden and Huyse is top notch.

Once you get to your hotel you should be able to walk everywhere that you want to go. Walking along the river is nice.

CIC questions…I’ve already got 2, but I desperately want a third (paying tuitions with Visa and MC GCs means I burn through that $25k/year quickly!).

1. Best guess - can I get approved for a third CIC while holding 2? I don’t want to cancel either of the existing, as that would defeat the purpose of trying to get a third $25k for office supply.

2. Is there a time frame between SUBs? I’d always thought no for the Inks, but a credit card group I’m in swears you have to wait 2 years between Inks.

FYI, this loophole is working and according to FT, it sounds like SW agents are instructing guests to do this.
I think someone here recently had a bunch of vouchers they were trying to use before expiring.
That was me. I ended up using them as LUV Vouchers. Me and 3 friends taking a 4 day trip in October to Orlando. We did end up paying the taxes and fees and a bit extra for the 4 RT flights. The vouchers are all used now - so at least I am not losing any $$.

Just got my Away Everywhere Medium bag (gift) and peeps, it's kinda big. But I was looking for a bag that I could attach to my matching Away rollerboard that would actually do double duty for additional storage, and this fits the bill. My husband, the fanatic packer, tested it out and it fits A LOT. He put 3 pairs pants, 5 shirts and 6 boxers, and there was still plenty of room. Plus room for laptop/ipad, etc.

Well, now I have to take it somewhere, right? We were actually looking for a long weekend to travel in August and I found this great deal:

Conrad Tulum Riviera Maya just opened this year. Seems their rates were like $700/nt when they opened or in peak season. Through the FHR with Amex, I scored three nights, minus the $200 credit for just $819 for an ocean view room with balcony plunge pool. Plus $150 resort credit, 12pm check in and free breakfast for two daily. Comparatively, the points would have been 90k per night, so better to pay cash.
We even found great flights with Southwest, nonstop to CUN for just 17k pts each, roundtrip, plus taxes. We haven't seen nonstop flights in a LONG time on SW, so that feels good. And we have two companion passes!

CIC questions…I’ve already got 2, but I desperately want a third (paying tuitions with Visa and MC GCs means I burn through that $25k/year quickly!).

1. Best guess - can I get approved for a third CIC while holding 2? I don’t want to cancel either of the existing, as that would defeat the purpose of trying to get a third $25k for office supply.

2. Is there a time frame between SUBs? I’d always thought no for the Inks, but a credit card group I’m in swears you have to wait 2 years between Inks.
1. Should not be a problem to have 3.
2. Just wait 3 months between apps to stay on Chase’s good side.

😂 no. 2 years, they have no idea. Generally people here recommend pacing Chase cards every 3 months to avoid getting shut down or denied for velocity. Many people hold multiple CICs or CIUs.

1. Should not be a problem to have 3.
2. Just wait 3 months between apps to stay on Chase’s good side.

😂 no. 2 years, they have no idea. Generally people here recommend pacing Chase cards every 3 months to avoid getting shut down or denied for velocity. Many people hold multiple CICs or CIUs.
Thanks! In my gut I knew they were wrong, but apparently it IS actually in the Ink T&C to wait 2 years between SUBs.

And Chase only cares about other Chase cards for velocity purposes, right? (I know they care about other personal cards for 5/24 purposes.)

Free Instacart membership plus $15 monthly credit for CSR or $15 quarterly credit for CSP/Sapphire and other credits for eligible chase cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...p-for-up-to-1-year-sapphire-freedom/#comments

I had planned to cancel my CSR this year, but this might encourage me to keep it, since I do actually use Instacart for Aldi shopping weekly. I'll have to really consider it at renewal time. Annually:
$300 travel credit
$180 Instacart statement credits
$60 Doordash credits ($15 quarterly)

Free Instacart membership plus $15 monthly credit for CSR or $15 quarterly credit for CSP/Sapphire and other credits for eligible chase cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...p-for-up-to-1-year-sapphire-freedom/#comments

I had planned to cancel my CSR this year, but this might encourage me to keep it, since I do actually use Instacart for Aldi shopping weekly. I'll have to really consider it at renewal time. Annually:
$300 travel credit
$180 Instacart statement credits
$60 Doordash credits ($15 quarterly)

So to activate the instacart membership for the year on CSR, we just charge the annual fee and it will be reimbursed by Chase? I guess it would be kind of like the Walmart membership through our AmEx Plat cards??

We live just outside of the delivery area, but I see that we can do Aldi pickups to use our credits. We have to do Ubereats pickups to use those credits as well. I had kind of forgotten about the Doordash credits. I need to check into those again. It gets hard to keep track of everything!

So to activate the instacart membership for the year on CSR, we just charge the annual fee and it will be reimbursed by Chase? I guess it would be kind of like the Walmart membership through our AmEx Plat cards??

We live just outside of the delivery area, but I see that we can do Aldi pickups to use our credits. We have to do Ubereats pickups to use those credits as well. I had kind of forgotten about the Doordash credits. I need to check into those again. It gets hard to keep track of everything!
Follow the link in the DOC post to activate the annual membership on Instacart. You should not see a charge for that. I understand the monthly or quarterly credits are Chase statement credits. So to summarize, the membership is provided by Instacart, the monthly or quarterly credit is provided by Chase, as I understand it according to a few articles.

Follow the link in the DOC post to activate the annual membership on Instacart. You should not see a charge for that. I understand the monthly or quarterly credits are Chase statement credits. So to summarize, the membership is provided by Instacart, the monthly or quarterly credit is provided by Chase, as I understand it according to a few articles.

Thank you! I also had an email from paypal this morning for $20 off of a $60 order if you click through the email. I doubt they can be combined, but that seems like a good deal as well. I'm going to do a pickup order to use it sometime this week too.

Southwest offer question- I have an offer for 50,000 pts on the Rapid Rewards card after you spend $1000 in the first 3 months. It has a $69 annual fee. We (3 of us) will hopefully be flying 2-3 times a year with our next flight being in mid March from IND to FLL. I will probably purchase that flight when released beginning of September (when it’s supposed to be cheapest) so wouldn’t have these points to use yet, unless I would be better off waiting until I do have the bonus points to book. Our typical flying times would be during school breaks in Spring and Fall and possibly Summer.

I just want to ask if you think it would be worth it to get the card for my situation and if so is now a good time for me and is this a good offer or will a better one come along?

Southwest offer question- I have an offer for 50,000 pts on the Rapid Rewards card after you spend $1000 in the first 3 months. It has a $69 annual fee. We (3 of us) will hopefully be flying 2-3 times a year with our next flight being in mid March from IND to FLL. I will probably purchase that flight when released beginning of September (when it’s supposed to be cheapest) so wouldn’t have these points to use yet, unless I would be better off waiting until I do have the bonus points to book. Our typical flying times would be during school breaks in Spring and Fall and possibly Summer.

I just want to ask if you think it would be worth it to get the card for my situation and if so is now a good time for me and is this a good offer or will a better one come along?

It was better at 75k, but the spend was $5000. You can see historical info here. Link

If you're interested in a Companion Pass, you may want to wait until closer to the end of the year. More info about that here. Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter