I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few thoughts / details:

DH and I are back from our first Virgin Voyages cruise. We did the Fire and Sunset Soirees cruise out of Miami, Fl to Key West and Bimini, Bahamas. The private Virgin Voyages beach club is on Bimini.

Flight from CVG to MIA was on Frontier, paid cash and it wasn't cheap after the (direct) flight + seat selection + carry on bag. We one bagged each (backpack suitcases) and that is really the only way to travel these days. The amount of people lugging massive suitcases through the airports / hotels / streets / cruise halls was just nuts. The CVG flight was nice in that it was... nearly empty. For a direct flight. A true *** moment.

Landing in MIA was a different story - that place is a stew of people (and I assume covid since people were hacking everywhere without covering their mouths! We learned better in kindergarten!)

We did the telehealth covid test before leaving home so that was easy. A negative test was required to board the ship.

Used points to stay at the Hyatt downtown in MIA. Was nice enough. Lobby and restaurant were nice anyway. The rooms were fine but they need updated. Had to pay $100 for a 1 hour late check out, which is absurd but whatever. Didn't want to sit in the cruise port for extra long. $70 for eggs and toast and juice, too. #vacationpricing

Uber to cruise was easy and fast. The hotel was like a mile away from the port.

Taking the covid test early was smart. You can get a free test via Virgin at the port but the line was bonkers long and people had to sit and wait for their results. No thanks.

Got checked in, got our bands (sort of like a magic band linked to payment and opens doors, etc) and we were on board The Scarlet Lady! A wonderful boat. Probably the most impressive cruise ship I've ever been on and we've done 5 different lines now, plus Virgin. Every space has a unique look and aesthetic. Even the restrooms are unique and so high end.

The food was amazing. Best food at sea we've had, period. The restaurant concept was great so you could pick and choose what you were craving that day/night and you had different servers too. Tons of bars that were never too packed - didn't usually have to wait long for drinks.

This was our one of our "free" cruises from the Greece cancellation that we were supposed to do this October. We had a sea terrace (balcony room) and it was nice. Rainfall shower a nice touch. We never used the elevators at all to try and avoid covid exposure. Going up and down steps nonstop probably helped some of the calories we consumed!

Richard Branson owns Virgin... we were walking by the pool and I looked over and said "That's Richard Branson!" and sure enough, it was. He was doing an interview with someone and then they jumped in the pool fully clothed. He was nice and chatting with folks. He's on the cruise this week for his birthday bash. Later the same day I was hiking the stairs after my workout, so I was a sweaty mess. I was enjoying an iced latte and Branson comes around the corner so we shared the stairs together, just us. He's chill and I'm about as low key as they come so we exchanged pleasantries and I was on about my day as was he.

We did The Little Whitehouse in Key West which was Pres. Truman's vacation spot. Very interesting and fun to see.

The beach club at Bimini was huge with chairs and space for all - with pools in addition to ocean access. There was a live DJ of course.

The flight home from MIA was on AA, using UR points. I ended up having to buy seating so DH and I could be together - so main cabin extra. That was an up charge. When we checked in, AA asked if I wanted to spend $40 more for a carry on! Um no, I'm not paying for a carry on via a legacy carrier. Out of control. There was space for our backpacks under the seat anyway. But best believe that flight was jammed to the gills and people were carrying on large bags. People were crushed together everywhere at MIA. We bought passes to the AA lounge the day before (another up charge!) and they were putting out a no pass sign when we arrived but the agent took pity on us and let us in. Yes, the lounge was bonkers full. The cash value of our flights + seat purchase + lounge access was $1000 for a one way flight that was 2.5 hours long. The plane was dirty too and the back lav was broken.

While on board we booked an Australia/New Zealand cruise for 2024 but not sure if we will keep that reservation or move it. We wanted to use the coupon deal on board, plus the credits we still have, so the deposit was fully paid. And we still have money left from the cancellation credit offer, even with two other sailings booked.

We missed our kitty so much and he was so happy to see us too. I am glad to be home. It was nice to get away and have a change of scenery for awhile but I had forgotten all the hassles that come with traveling too.

So after P2 was denied the Alt Reserve for supposedly no relationship with US Bank, probably stupidly applied for the Connect card instead. He has gotten several mailers for this card in the past. Got the we need more time email again. But woke up this morning to an email approval, so at least we have something LOL.

I have a question about the AMEX fine hotels and resorts credits. Are the $200 hotel credit and the $100 experience credit calendar year or card member year? Could I use them in 2022 and then again in 2023 before my AF hits again?

We just completed a stay that was booked using DH's $200 credit from 2021 (booked on Dec. 30th, but since it's a pre-paid stay it credits for whenever the booking is made). What's the $100 experience credit you are referencing though? We get $100 with each booking (can spend on dining, spa, or whatever the hotel allows) so is this something different?

Hello, looking for some advice on the best ways to save for DCL (targeting 2024?). We are a family of 5 so it's quite expensive even for 3-4 nights. Is cashback card paired w/discounted DGC the best way to go? We've never been on a cruise (any line) so I'm not really sure on what to look for. How early would the booking window be? Looking at the DCL website, it looks like sailings are out to summer 2023, so maybe 1 year in advance? Any general advice would be appreciated!

As others have said, Disney GCs seem to be the best way. I've used TAs in the past, but I'm not right now because things are hard enough and at least this way I have control over my own reservation, but they can give you some onboard money or a GC in the case of Costco. Personally, I have booked as soon as I knew what I wanted, and only one time did the prices go down (and they did change our reservation that time so we got the lower price). Alaska was great. One of my favorite cruises and also the one that was closest to home (not having those long flights is nice).

American Express Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back on grocery purchases of up to $6000 a year with a $95 annual fee. When I pulled up the Amex website to check the details they were offering $400 cash back on $3000 spend over 6 months from opening the card.

Will they give your MRs (like Chase does with URs for their cash back cards) or is this strictly cash back?

We just completed a stay that was booked using DH's $200 credit from 2021 (booked on Dec. 30th, but since it's a pre-paid stay it credits for whenever the booking is made). What's the $100 experience credit you are referencing though? We get $100 with each booking (can spend on dining, spa, or whatever the hotel allows) so is this something different?
What you mentioned is the credit I was referring to. Did you have to ask the hotel what they allow?

Going to wait until I have to cancel japan next month and think I'll end up just taking a couple of days on either side of labor day weekend and stay home.

Thought about going to cleveland since the Mariners are their that weekend and I want to go to the rock and roll Hall of fame but flights are nuts. To get the miles reasonable I'd have to do 5 nights which is 1 more than I'd like and the hyatt I was looking at doesn't have award space now. I'd have to do too much research and I just am not up for it or excited to do it/go there.

What you mentioned is the credit I was referring to. Did you have to ask the hotel what they allow?

Usually they will tell you when you check in, but it's also usually listed on the FHR page itself. It's usually dining or anything else, but sometimes they tell us it doesn't cover valet parking or that we can only use it in the spa. The weirdest one I have seen was that they will do a one-way airport pickup (which I don't need since I'm not planning on flying in) so I didn't book that hotel through FHR since it was cheaper through the hotel directly.

And with this $100 credit, it's something that you get with every booking.

Chase Freedom Unlimited question - I've had this card for the past 16 months and have used it to my full availability. Is there a reason to keep this card? Should I product change or hold onto it? Currently holding only a Southwest Priority (that I only charge $2.99/month to) and CSP in the Chase family. Thank you in advance!

To note - I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Southwest card either...

Usually they will tell you when you check in, but it's also usually listed on the FHR page itself. It's usually dining or anything else, but sometimes they tell us it doesn't cover valet parking or that we can only use it in the spa. The weirdest one I have seen was that they will do a one-way airport pickup (which I don't need since I'm not planning on flying in) so I didn't book that hotel through FHR since it was cheaper through the hotel directly.

And with this $100 credit, it's something that you get with every booking.
That's interesting. I though the $100 credit was once a year like the $200 credit. The fine print said to contact AMEX platinum services for details on what the $100 credit could be used for at specific hotels. I'll do that for the ones near me just so I know before I book.

Will they give your MRs (like Chase does with URs for their cash back cards) or is this strictly cash back?
[/QUOTE]

As far as I know only cash back for it

Last edited:
Made it to the Hilton Garden Inn in Heathrow terminal 2 for our flight home tomorrow. Little excitement as we were dining in the restaurant- the fire alarm went off and we all had to evacuate for a while.
United sent emails warning of east coast storms causing delays. When we checked in they wanted us to defer until Thursday for vouchers or points. No thanks.

Chase Freedom Unlimited question - I've had this card for the past 16 months and have used it to my full availability. Is there a reason to keep this card? Should I product change or hold onto it? Currently holding only a Southwest Priority (that I only charge $2.99/month to) and CSP in the Chase family. Thank you in advance!

To note - I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Southwest card either...
Since it’s a no AF card I’d keep it…not sure if you accumulate URs, but this is a good 1.5x card to use when not meeting a MSR.

As far as the SW card I’d wait until your anniversary RR Points post and then cancel it

Hello, looking for some advice on the best ways to save for DCL (targeting 2024?). We are a family of 5 so it's quite expensive even for 3-4 nights. Is cashback card paired w/discounted DGC the best way to go? We've never been on a cruise (any line) so I'm not really sure on what to look for. How early would the booking window be? Looking at the DCL website, it looks like sailings are out to summer 2023, so maybe 1 year in advance? Any general advice would be appreciated!
Another way to save on DCL is avoid summer and holidays, if you are able. I know with kids that is hard but the price difference can be significant.
I book with Costco, pay with gift cards, and try to book as early as possible.

I’m sailing my 20th DCL cruise in September and about 15 have been booked thru Costco. The Costco cash card equals 8% of the cruise price (excluding tax and port fees). I always have a $250 Disney gift card when I go to the port adventures desk on the ship to book a placeholder for a future cruise. This will give you a 10% discount off of your next cruise, plus $100 OBC if the cruise is 7 nights or longer. I purchase gift cards in either $250 or $500 amounts and add a few grocery items so it’s not an even amount at Kroger when they have their 4 times fuel points. If you maximize the full 35 gallons, you save $35 or 14% off a $250 gift card. I use my Amex CP for an additional 6% cash back (always codes as groceries for me) or my recently opened Amex gold at 4% to make the spend. I try to pay my entire cruise with with Disney gift cards. I book as soon as the window opens for best pricing. If a military rate is offered, I cancel and rebook with Costco. Often, DCL will offer special pricing (FLA rates, guarantee rates (they pick your room) so there are many ways to get an additional savings. With a family of 5, it is usually less expensive to get 2 porthole or inside connecting rooms rather than the pricey room that sleeps 5. If you have your heart set on a veranda and your kid are older, book a veranda and an inside room across the hall. And the additional 2% back from my Costco executive membership is a nice bonus! Hope this all makes sense. 😊
My nearest Costco is 100 miles away but y'all got me thinking about a membership!

Made it to the Hilton Garden Inn in Heathrow terminal 2 for our flight home tomorrow. Little excitement as we were dining in the restaurant- the fire alarm went off and we all had to evacuate for a while.
United sent emails warning of east coast storms causing delays. When we checked in they wanted us to defer until Thursday for vouchers or points. No thanks.
Dh flew today for a work trip. He was supposed to fly out of North Carolina at 3 pm but got delayed until 7 pm because of the storms

yep, thanks for the heads-up how do you get the 10% off and the placeholder through costco.com do I need to call in and it's applied?
If you’re not established yet with Costco, when you book on board, you can identify DCL as your agent. Then when you get home, call Costco Travel to have the booking transferred to them. You have to have a membership with Costco in order to use their travel service. You have a 30 day window to do it. And the process takes a few days so I would recommend doing it as soon as you return home from your cruise. Costco will send you a form that you sign.

Thank you to those who recently mentioned Costco for glasses. I had been avoiding Costco because I have a Sam's membership through my parents' business. Plus Sam's is closer to me. I used my sister's card on Sat. to check it out and price the glasses. Then I went back Sun, joined, and ordered my glasses. Significant savings over the glasses I got at my opthamologist's office. Of course, I also found a few other good deals on things I "need."

I am ready to PC my CSR to CFU. Travel credit already posted. This will be my first PC, so I want to be sure there is nothing else for me to do before I PC.

Thank you to those who recently mentioned Costco for glasses. I had been avoiding Costco because I have a Sam's membership through my parents' business. Plus Sam's is closer to me. I used my sister's card on Sat. to check it out and price the glasses. Then I went back Sun, joined, and ordered my glasses. Significant savings over the glasses I got at my opthamologist's office. Of course, I also found a few other good deals on things I "need."

I am ready to PC my CSR to CFU. Travel credit already posted. This will be my first PC, so I want to be sure there is nothing else for me to do before
Are there any UR points you want to cash out at 1.5? If not, sounds like you're ready to PC.

Since we're discussing Citi AA cards, mine is coming up for the annual fee. I have 50k points left on my AA account. I really hardly use AA anymore. I'm thinking of canceling. Is there any reason I should keep it?
Quoting myself...
So I cancelled it (it was the business platinum). They offered 7,500 miles for a $1k spend. I declined. Would probably have kept it for 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter