I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you who travel with only carry-ons (no checked bags) teach me your tricks for travelling with liquids (shampoo and other necessary toiletries). I know the 3-1-1 rule. Just need some of your expert hacks!
We don’t follow all the rule, I use a gallon size bag, the only part of the rule we stick to is the 3.4oz rule. We also have pre-check so never take anything out of our bags. And we have never been asked to take things out of our bags.

We also don’t wash our hair every day, maybe that helps?

Those of you who travel with only carry-ons (no checked bags) teach me your tricks for travelling with liquids (shampoo and other necessary toiletries). I know the 3-1-1 rule. Just need some of your expert hacks!
I found this article very informative. I’m getting ready to spend 4 weeks in Europe including a 7 night Norwegian fjords cruise and am doing carry on only. Don’t want to chance my bags not showing up when we land at Heathrow even though we have a nonstop flight.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/packing-hacks-travelling-carry-on/

Thank you to those who recently mentioned Costco for glasses. I had been avoiding Costco because I have a Sam's membership through my parents' business. Plus Sam's is closer to me. I used my sister's card on Sat. to check it out and price the glasses. Then I went back Sun, joined, and ordered my glasses. Significant savings over the glasses I got at my opthamologist's office. Of course, I also found a few other good deals on things I "need."

I am ready to PC my CSR to CFU. Travel credit already posted. This will be my first PC, so I want to be sure there is nothing else for me to do before I PC.
How did you get your prescrip. to get them? I'd love to get mine cheaper, but I'm kind of afraid to ask at the docs for that info

I bought a specific clear zippered quart size bag from Amazon. It fits quite a lot.... I also bought a set of 3.5 oz. bottles. Each traveler has their own clear 'liquids' bag,and I put all makeup in smaller containers to make them portable. I haven't checked a bag in years, even a 10 day+ trip. Strangely,all airports seem to have their own liquids rules, some ask that it gets taken out at security,others don't care. I just have that little clear bag packed at top of my small wheeled case,and it comes out at security. Bag itself is small enough to fit in overhead. I also use (off brand) packing cubes, it's amazing how much will fit into those,in a small suitcase.

Check out Travel Tips by Laurie on YT. She's a pilot's wife who packs only carry-on, and she has tons of great suggestions. One of them is to pack your liquids horizontally in the bag. If it is a liquid you don't use much of like makeup remover, soak it in a cotton ball and put it in a baggie/container. She recommends a specific brand of liquids containers because they've never leaked on her.
another tip, to prevent leaking bottles, I place a small piece of saran wrap on bottle top,then screw on the lid.

How did you get your prescrip. to get them? I'd love to get mine cheaper, but I'm kind of afraid to ask at the docs for that info

No reason to be scared, it's your script and it's perfectly normal. I've been getting mine for almost 20 years, whenever it became cheaper to get my contacts online than at the eye Dr. Costco optical also takes some insurance. Currently I use the eye dr that's in, but not affiliated, with Costco, so he automatically gives it to you. His office doesn't fill anything.

Chiming in here.... I always ask my eye doctor for our glasses and contacts prescription after every check up. Usually good for 2 years. I find much better prices online and never buy our glasses/contacts at the eye clinic (we have all 4 of us with contacts and glasses).

I have bifocal contacts and glasses. I had found a pair of glasses I liked at the eye dr but they were $800. I took a pic of the frames - found the same ones online and got them for $200. My kids both order from Zenni - they have really inexpensive glasses there.

If I pay my amex platinum annual fee, how long do I have to cancel to get a prorated fee back?

If I pay my amex platinum annual fee, how long do I have to cancel to get a prorated fee back?

30 days from if posting I think. I just did this.
I think it's a prorated refund only if you downgrade the card to another product, not cancel the card entirely. You should have 30 days from the AF posting date (not your payment due date) to cancel and get a full refund of the AF.

Chiming in here.... I always ask my eye doctor for our glasses and contacts prescription after every check up. Usually good for 2 years. I find much better prices online and never buy our glasses/contacts at the eye clinic (we have all 4 of us with contacts and glasses).

I have bifocal contacts and glasses. I had found a pair of glasses I liked at the eye dr but they were $800. I took a pic of the frames - found the same ones online and got them for $200. My kids both order from Zenni - they have really inexpensive glasses there.
I also always ask for the prescription. It's a little awkward, but I do it anyway. I got my current glasses online from eyebuydirect. They're ok. I'm going try Zenni for some prescription sunglasses. Just noticed a 10% off 25+ order (max 16) on two of my chase cards for them.
ETA: Paypal just sent me a notification for $10 off at Zenni. Coincidence or creepy? Anyway, I just ordered and paid with Paypal with a Chase card that has the offer. We'll see what happens. I'm happy with the $10 even if the Chase offer doesn't work.

Last edited:
I’m flying from London to Frankfurt after a cruise on September 11. Going to London City Airport to miss the Heathrow fiasco. BA and AF have nonstop flights. I don’t have points with either airline but I have URs and MRs. Is there a way to find out how many points I need without transferring points first?

Help with LUV Vouchers. I have some vouchers from me and kids from bumped flight. Used some of them already - rest need to be used by end of year. DD goes back to school, DS does not have more vacation time and DH is busy season. So, going to take a Mom's trip with 3 friends. I know once you use a LUV voucher it is attached to that person.

Trying to figure out how to use them the best and not have to do 8 one way flights. Can I book say 2 people on one itinerary and then use a LUV voucher - or do I have to book each person separately? Want to use them the best I can too use up the vouchers and pay the least amount in cash.

Example: I have one voucher for $600 - even if I do a RT ticket, half of the voucher would remain. Hoping I can book 2- RT on the same ticket and be able to use this?

Did the Shake Shack charge post in June or July. I had that happen once and both the charge and credit posted in the new month, and it counted for the new month. I guess I'm not 100% sure if the charge posted in the old month and credit in the new month.

It's June's credit but there's a chance you will have to call them and get them to credit your actual July credit.
Yay! It did count for June. I bought a shake shack gift card on July 17 for my July credit. Wasn’t sure if that would count and then was worried if the credit didn’t post, I wouldn’t know if it was because the other credit counted towards July or because I bought a gift card. But now I know… just got the credit for July from my gift card purchase!

I’m flying from London to Frankfurt after a cruise on September 11. Going to London City Airport to miss the Heathrow fiasco. BA and AF have nonstop flights. I don’t have points with either airline but I have URs and MRs. Is there a way to find out how many points I need without transferring points first?

There might be a better way, but I just check the AF and BA websites. You have to log in get the points price, but you don't have to have any points in your account. I think both MRs and URs can be transferred to Avios and Flying Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter