I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my 3rd Fitbit, all versions of the Versa. All of them have crapped out at around 2 years. Fitbit has given me a discount on a new one each time it has happened. The first time I was able to get a complete refund through my credit card with the extended warranty coverage. The second time I had put it on a business card that I had canceled by the time the Fitbit died. I thought there was no way the new one would crap out too! But also it came out to like $80 for the new one so all told $80 for 4 years of watches wasn't terrible. I know you are using a credit, but highly recommend that anyone paying out of pocket, put it on a card with warranty coverage that you plan to keep longer term. That said, I tried looking at other options, and going without for a bit when my second one crapped out last summer, and ultimately bought a Versa 2 with the credit. I just became too dependent on those watch notifications!
I'm on my 4th it broke new google watch is coming out so I'm not sure I even want to go back to them and get 20-25% off (this is what they give me unless you did better. :)
of course, I bought it in April so even my AMEX double warranty won't apply. I'm with you though the only reason I replace mine is that they keep breaking.

I just received instant approval for the Gold with 90K. Unfortunately, I had to use a random support link. I was not able to pull it up with any of the Dis Reddit links and I spent 30+ minutes trying multiple members' links on multiple browsers and incognito browsers. Sorry friends, I tried to help one of our own. I was able to pull up the 150K plat several times both on regular browser and incognito, but I can't generate the spend naturally and am not willing to venture into the MS world right now. I am now 5/24 until September. Luckily, 1 will drop off in Sept and 1 more in Oct because I am going to need 2 slots for my SW cards later this year/early next year. It's hard to believe I am almost 24 months into this hobby.
I had to go through so many support links for the Plat yesterday but the only one that pulled the 150k and 10x at restaurants was a random link I found online.

I'm thinking about using my Dell credit to get a Fitbit. Can anyone offer advice about these options: Fitbit Charge 5; Fitbit Luxe; Fitbit Versa 2; Fitbit Versa 3; and Fitbit Sense? (These are in order of price, more or less, with the Fitbit Charge and Luxe the cheapest at $149 and the Sense the most expensive at $299.)
If you are looking for an activity watch I would go with a Garmin, they seem to last longer.

Want to provide a DP for people as I see several people asking about full refund of CSR AF recently.

CSR AF posted on 5/1
Statement closed 5/21

I used the $300 travel credit on 6/4 and downgraded to a Freedom Flex on 6/8.
Full AF refund of $550 on 6/9. So I still received a full refund 38 days after AF hit.
Good to know. My travel credit will reset in November and My AF will probably not be until March 2023 because I PC'd my CF to the CSR so it was a bit delayed. Can I PC back to the CF and not the CFF? I guess it doesn't matter that much but I would like to have a Visa to use at Costco for the 5% at wholesale stores.

Want to provide a DP for people as I see several people asking about full refund of CSR AF recently.

CSR AF posted on 5/1
Statement closed 5/21

I used the $300 travel credit on 6/4 and downgraded to a Freedom Flex on 6/8.
Full AF refund of $550 on 6/9. So I still received a full refund 38 days after AF hit.
Exactly the DP I wanted to see! Thank you.

My sister in law is looking to get a card. She’s planning to fly to Hawaii from Iowa. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Well thats dumb lol. The card is in a sealed thing. The qtip is in a sealed thing and the drops are sealed. Needing all of those inside a box that is also sealed is stupid. At work we just have all the components in a big rubbermaid tub lol
I think it's a compliance thing for the proctored test. There's a q-r code you scan on the outside of the box at the start of the proctored test, which confirms it's an approved rapid test issued by Abbott. Then once the result is in, they scan the result card's QR code (presumably to confirm you didn't swap it with someone else's negative test).
I'm sure at work you're then labeling the result card with the patient's name, etc, while it processes. It's basically the same thing, but just set up so that the proctor is doing everything in a compliant, digital way.

I do wish they could make the Abbott boxes much smaller. They are 2-3 times the size of the ones the government mailed.

If I recall correctly, the box has to be sealed until you're ready to take the test. We used these in Iceland last year and the video proctor had to watch you open the box.

Yes—don’t touch the box! They also recommend you bring two boxes per person just in case. We only did one but we like to live dangerously.
On our return from London in March, we did the proctored tests. The boxes were in our checked luggage and some were crushed. The proctor definitely noticed the seal popped on one of the crushed boxes. I explained it had been crushed in our suitcase and she let it slide, but clearly they are looking.
I do wish they could make the Abbott boxes much smaller. They are 2-3 times the size of the ones the government mailed.
The govt ones I got are in smaller boxes but the tests are crappy and have more steps. Plus twice I have not had enough reagent to run the test.

My sister in law is looking to get a card. She’s planning to fly to Hawaii from Iowa. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I don’t have any recommendations, but I would have her check Google flights with some dummy dates just to get an idea of which airlines have the best options from her location. Then she can decide which card makes sense based on those options.

The govt ones I got are in smaller boxes but the tests are crappy and have more steps. Plus twice I have not had enough reagent to run the test.
Are those the ones that came in the orange and white boxes? I know some people got Binax, but we just get the orange ones. They are smaller so we took them on trips, but now I'm wondering how good they are.

Are those the ones that came in the orange and white boxes? I know some people got Binax, but we just get the orange ones. They are smaller so we took them on trips, but now I'm wondering how good they are.

We got the ones in the orange and white boxes - very useful when my wife got Covid. We thought they were easy to use - we actually ordered more of them of Amazon.

We got the ones in the orange and white boxes - very useful when my wife got Covid. We thought they were easy to use - we actually ordered more of them of Amazon.
Yes, the orange and white ones. DH tested every other day when he had covid so we did use a bunch. The orange box ones have a separate vial of reagent and you use it to fill a vial to a specific line. If you have enough reagent to get to the fill line, I'm sure it's as accurate as any. The Binax kits have fewer pieces and fewer steps.

I think it's a compliance thing for the proctored test. There's a q-r code you scan on the outside of the box at the start of the proctored test, which confirms it's an approved rapid test issued by Abbott. Then once the result is in, they scan the result card's QR code (presumably to confirm you didn't swap it with someone else's negative test).
I'm sure at work you're then labeling the result card with the patient's name, etc, while it processes. It's basically the same thing, but just set up so that the proctor is doing everything in a compliant, digital way.

Right. But they could put the qr code on the sealed pouch that the test card is in. It's just stupid to manufacture it in such a way that it must be kept in a large box until use. Becasue as far as storage or usability, there is no reason that it needs to be in the box it came in.

Well I'm on way to reworking the canceled Greek cruise, so an update and then a question for the hive mind here:

With the 200% future sailing credit and free access key offered since my October cruise was scrapped, I was able to add a Bahamas sailing next month (surprise trip!) and I moved my exact Greece cruise to 2023 - same week, same boat, same cabin, all of it. I am awaiting my access key so I can book the October sailing out of Barcelona meaning we'll do the Mediterranean this October. With all of that, I still have over $2k in credits left to spend. 😲

Getting flights to Miami for next month was way harder than it should have been with mileage prices out the wazoo. I ended up paying cash for a nonstop from CVG on Frontier for the way down and used Southwest points for the way home. Cash prices were like $1k roundtrip... for a 2 hour flight on legacy carriers. In economy. Umm no!

NOW THE QUESTION:

Would it be better (easier?) to just cancel my flights to Athens, redeposit the miles to Delta and then book fresh to Spain... or try to do a change ticket? The new itinerary is going to be more complicated with different beginning and ending cities...

If I am already Marriott Gold and I get an AMEX Platinum that comes with Gold status, will the stays I made to get to Gold stack?

Well I'm on way to reworking the canceled Greek cruise, so an update and then a question for the hive mind here:

With the 200% future sailing credit and free access key offered since my October cruise was scrapped, I was able to add a Bahamas sailing next month (surprise trip!) and I moved my exact Greece cruise to 2023 - same week, same boat, same cabin, all of it. I am awaiting my access key so I can book the October sailing out of Barcelona meaning we'll do the Mediterranean this October. With all of that, I still have over $2k in credits left to spend. 😲

Getting flights to Miami for next month was way harder than it should have been with mileage prices out the wazoo. I ended up paying cash for a nonstop from CVG on Frontier for the way down and used Southwest points for the way home. Cash prices were like $1k roundtrip... for a 2 hour flight on legacy carriers. In economy. Umm no!

NOW THE QUESTION:

Would it be better (easier?) to just cancel my flights to Athens, redeposit the miles to Delta and then book fresh to Spain... or try to do a change ticket? The new itinerary is going to be more complicated with different beginning and ending
If you haven't paid for upgrades on the flight, I would just cancel and start fresh. If you have paid for upgrades separately, you may not get that money back if you voluntarily cancel.

My son just turned 18 last week and has been an AU on my Chase Freedom for perhaps a year (maybe not quite that long... I can't remember).

Do you think it better for him to apply for the student Discover, or for his own CF? I like Chase just because I am familiar with them (website, app, etc). I've never had a Discover.

To be clear, he himself isn't interested in points or miles, really- he just wants his own card so he can be a real adult now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter