I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t wear contacts. Only issue with my vision is small print so I only need something to help seeing things up close.

I’m going to give readers a try for a while. I just can’t see wearing glasses all day. I know there are also eyedrops now. Maybe they will eventually come down in price.
Yeah, if you don't need glasses for long distance I would just do readers. I can't see anything without correction. But need different correction up close vs distance, ergo the bifocals.

Also remembered I got a 3 pack of readers at Costco that were decently priced. Might check that out as well.

Eye drops are crazy expensive. DH now needs daily drops for life for glaucoma. Something like $120/month :crazy2:. Luckily the company who makes the drops has a program where I am sure they gouge the insurance co but we only pay $30 for a 3 month supply.

I can't believe I didn't know this. I just found out my company has a corporate deal with Enterprise that we can use for personal travel. Using the corporate code, I just saved $400 (~50%) off a rental for next March. I could have been saving all this time on rental cars and didn't know >:(. PSA - check with your company for any corporate deals on travel.

Yeah, if you don't need glasses for long distance I would just do readers. I can't see anything without correction. But need different correction up close vs distance, ergo the bifocals.

Also remembered I got a 3 pack of readers at Costco that were decently priced. Might check that out as well.

Eye drops are crazy expensive. DH now needs daily drops for life for glaucoma. Something like $120/month :crazy2:. Luckily the company who makes the drops has a program where I am sure they gouge the insurance co but we only pay $30 for a 3 month supply.

I use monovision contacts, so I see close up with one eye and distance with the other. They work really well, but I've had to get them adjusted every year for the close up it seems. I can see better close up (like reading a book distance) without any contacts in. The doctor said it's because I'm nearsighted and it works that way even though I'm typically at the age where you can't see anything close up (I'm 51).

I get my eye exams done by an ophthalmologist. They have no problem giving me my prescription for glasses. In fact they don’t even sell glasses. Maybe you should look for an MD eye doctor as opposed to an optometrist. They go to a special optometry school to study the eye, they are not MDs.

I also see an ophthalmologist and they give me the full prescription without me asking. They are providing medical care and could care less where you buy your glasses. Compared to the optometrist who told my BIL that my nephew needed prescription glasses. They bought the glasses there for $$$. I happened to see his "prescription" after he got them and it was .5. Yep, a reading glasses "prescription" that they sell at the dollar store. I am not saying every optometrist is shady (nor is every M.D. not shady), but medical doctors have a different legal standard of care.

I'm so confused on glasses--I finally need reading glasses but my boss is trying to tell me to get progressives. I hate having glasses on (the side of my head is super sensitive) so I figured I would only use readers when needed (this is what my parents do). I head back to the optometrist in September but I'm sure he'll try to sell me fancy glasses but I think my $40 Kate Spade readers will be fine:)

If you wear contacts, just stick with the readers (even the $1.25 readers from dollar tree work :)). I got tired of taking the readers on and off and having multiple pairs so they were always where I needed them So I switched to bifocals.
Nearsighted with astigmatism and had worn glasses and/or contacts since age 4.

So the cataracts started to form and gradually my vision got very cloudy and finally cloudy enough to remove the cataracts. One eye one month in 2017 - I was 64 - and the other eye the next month. I opted to have my ophthalmologist do the surgery manually versus by laser after asking him what his failure rate was (0%) and paid $20 copay total.

Then after the first surgery, after the procedure as I was wheeled back to the prep room or whatever it was called, I could read signs on the walls through the tiny holes in the eye patch - something I had never been able to do without glasses in my whole life!

Now I see him once a year to watch out for any changes, mostly due to my diabetes, and I wear readers to read small print. So freeing!

Cost of prescription glasses are usually high from a dispensing optician. I had a lot of 'wants' for my glasses, such as the thinner materials, polished edges, special coatings, bifocal lenses and stylish frames to name a few. And, when I paid close to $500 for a pair (now with rising prices who knows what the cost would be) (I was extremely myopic) they had to be perfect or they got them back. Also needed prescription sunglasses.

I used Costco the last few pairs and they were fine and somewhat less expensive, but not as many frame choices. Lots for people who didn't need thicker glasses.

I have many pairs of Costco readers. But, most are pretty basic and I like some of the nicer choices I see elsewhere. But mostly I like that I can see without wearing glasses to drive and do most normal activities.

Going to the beach this weekend and watching for a points room for Saturday night. It's 771 plus tax for cash and I've been able to snatch with points last minute. Sunday here is supposed to be 98 but 87 at the beach. I'm staying until Tuesday and hoping for a cool down before coming home.

Also, can anyone recommend foundation which has a little more coverage, but is good for sensitive skin? It can't have any of those anti-aging chemicals, etc. I was previously wearing just a tinted moisturizer, but my new facial scar is much larger than I had anticipated, though I know it will improve with time.

A reminder the SW schedule opened through 3/8 this morning. Kind of a bummer of a schedule extension- doesn't even make it to our spring break, or within 14 days of it, if you are into that hack :)
I was disappointed they opened it out so far because my Feb/Mar plans aren't set yet. I first looked at pres. day weekend, one way from DCA to MCO was over $300! So I adjusted and got some reservations for my usual $109/99 each way but I'm not sure those will be my actual flight days.

My head is flipping spinning planning this trip. And for some reason the Avios website keeps blocking me from searching reward flights! I get like 2 or 3 searches before it kicks me out and tells me to clear cookies. I've tried that and it still isn't working. But the good news is, I think I've figured out the dates, I just need to check which airport to go out of, BOS or ORD.

Anyways, what do you think is easier? Should I transfer URs to book all 3 flights, and then have my mom transfer URs to me? We're not officially the "same household" but she does have me on her bank accounts so I'm thinking maybe they would transfer them. Or should I have my mom transfer her own URs to BA (she just created her acct) and then to EI? I would be booking myself and my DD no matter what.

There was just a post yesterday on that topic that goes into detail at https://frequentmiler.com/how-to-transfer-avios-between-aer-lingus-ba-and-iberia/

It points out that you need an Iberia account for 90 days to do transfers into/out of that program, but I didn't see any mention of EI having that same requirement.

[Aer Lingus is EI, just fyi (who came up with that??).]

I mean there's likely some meaning. Spirit is NK, LOL. Jet Blue is B6, Frontier is F9. I know the reason behind NK ;)

Also, on the subject of eyeglasses, my son, 9, has been complaining of poor vision with distances and failed his screening at the pediatrician's office, so we have a pediatric opthomologist appointment. If he is in need of glasses, any advice for kids of this age? I've never purchased a pair of eyeglasses, ever.

Also, on the subject of eyeglasses, my son, 9, has been complaining of poor vision with distances and failed his screening at the pediatrician's office, so we have a pediatric opthomologist appointment. If he is in need of glasses, any advice for kids of this age? I've never purchased a pair of eyeglasses, ever.

LET HIM CHOOSE! My daughter had to start wearing glasses at 4. I ALWAYS let her pick her frames! Her first pair were magenta pink. She's had blue, green, polka dots, etc! She NEVER EVER EVER fought wearing them! She had sports goggles too! She fights me now that she can wear contacts, LOL. She will wear them when she has an eye infection. GRRR!

I’m going to give readers a try for a while. I just can’t see wearing glasses all day. I know there are also eyedrops now. Maybe they will eventually come down in price.

I asked my eye dr about these last month a d he said they only last for a few hours and the patients that have tried them, none have come back for an rx. I thought they'd be handy for vacay but he wasn't impressed by them.

Make sure he likes them so that he'll wear them. If they aren't comfortable enough or if he doesn't like how they look when he looks in the mirror he may be less likely to wear them.

My daughter got glasses at 6 or 7. It’s been a total non-issue for us. I explained to her how costly glasses are, and why it’s important to take care of them even if she hates them. She seems to have understood, and tries to take care of them. I also make sure she takes her case to school so if she decided to take them off they don’t get stuffed in her backpack. They’ve fortunately never been broken, and only accidentally thrown away (haha) once. Kids are still kids. LOL! I suppose like everything it will depend on your son’s personality how well he tolerates them, but hopefully it’s no biggie.

Oldest granddaughter is 6 and needs glasses as she is nearsighted. She started at 4. DD has bought at doctor's office and also ordered online somewhere. It was a struggle to keep up with having her wear them until she actually went to kindergarten. Once in school it got easier.

I have experience with younger DD but it's been 20 some years. She got them around that age and then went to contacts in her teens.

There are lots of cute frames for kids now. Once you've got the prescription, it's mostly picking out frames. And where to buy the glasses. There are tons of choices. It's also a personal thing so kind of difficult to say 'get this'.

I am panicking a little bit, maybe you all can help me.

I signed up for the AMEX gold when it was 90,000 and 20% off dining. How does that 20% back show up? I am in my account and realizing I do not see that anywhere. Which was a big reason I got the card. I see a similar data point on DoC and it did not go well for them. Is it usually really obvious or is it trickier to see?

Anyone have Away's Everywhere bag? What size do your recommend and why? I see there is the standard, medium and large sizes.
I have the new everywhere bag. It opens accordion style so you can see everything in the bag. It also fits nicely on the bigger carry on and fits under the airplane seat. I traveled for 2 weeks in Europe with those 2 pieces and it was so liberating not to check luggage. Going back to Europe on a Norwegian fjords cruise and doing only carry on.

Last edited:
Has anyone bought trip insurance recently and have recommendations? I'm not even sure what I need. I've never bought it before but with covid and the crazy flight issues lately, I'm considering it. I booked flights for 2 to Rome on points. Paid for hotels through prepaid amex to get the platinum credit. I will need train tickets to and from Florence. I will probably book some tours as well. What do I need? Do I need health insurance as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter