I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intereating info from r/churning and raddisons points program. They are splitting NA and Europe into their own programs but seems you'll be able to transfer points. I know a few here use them in europe, so will have to see how the fnc I think thr card gives will work.

I have the card and it gives 40K points per year. No FNC that I know about.

Is there any one card that's best for hotel rewards? We normally don't travel a ton but I'm looking at possibly a week in San Diego this fall. I also found out yesterday that DS needs braces so would love a MSR to apply that to. I'm 5/24 right now but DH is under so he could apply for whatever. Any suggestions? We aren't loyal to a particular brand at this point. Thanks in advance!

heh, loaded question! :P
Hyatt CC is probably your best bet when it comes to rebates and recognition, but it has the smallest footprint compared to hilton and marriott.
Marriott ever since their starwood acquisition has just been bonvoyed here and there. They still have a big network though.
Hilton, i dont know much about them as my pick is Hyatt and Marriott before hilton, but there are a ton of ppl who has Hilton at their top. the earning on the amex cards is probably on the better side compared to the other cards.

Yeah!!! Just applied using DH's referral. Instant approval. Lowered credit limit given down to $10,000. Going for MDD with CSR tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
How did you lower the credit limit? At the time you were approved, or via chat after? I was just approved for the CSP in-branch (and got the AF waived), with a $13.7k limit, and was going to try to get the CSR via MDD tomorrow. I also have the Disney Premier card with a $18.7k limit that I could try to lower today. That seems like it would be the way to go, yes?

How did you lower the credit limit? At the time you were approved, or via chat after? I was just approved for the CSP in-branch (and got the AF waived), with a $13.7k limit, and was going to try to get the CSR via MDD tomorrow. I also have the Disney Premier card with a $18.7k limit that I could try to lower today. That seems like it would be the way to go, yes?

The card shows up instantly in my Chase Account. I then went in and Secure Messaged Chase to lower my limits. They are usually pretty quick. I SM'd them late afternoon yesterday and by mId - morning today it was done. Then I went and applied for the CSR.

Ugh..not sure how long it’s been since you called them but it definitely took 2-3 weeks for them to call me back last fall
It hasn’t been that long. I can’t remember exactly when Dh called. I think it was last week. Someone thought they’d call me back quick since our trip is soon

I just realized that I have the Best Buy offer on DH's Marriott card but I can't find the darn thing. I have the card on my Apple Wallet, if I use apple pay the offer doesn't track, correct?

I have a question about replacement cards. I ordered a replacement for my wife's new Southwest card so we could both have one to complete the $10k MSR. If I selected that I need a replacement due to a damaged card will the original and new card both work?

I have a question about replacement cards. I ordered a replacement for my wife's new Southwest card so we could both have one to complete the $10k MSR. If I selected that I need a replacement due to a damaged card will the original and new card both work?
It should work...I have about 5 Disney cards with different designs that I swap out depending on my mood.

Yay! We're back!

My CIC app from this weekend is still not being recognized in the system. Not showing up in my account. But I got an alert they pulled my credit.

Any recommendations for week long parking at JFK?
I've used a nationwide (?) service that matches nearby hotels that have shuttles to airports for parking. It ran about 60% of parking at the airport in long-term parking. Really not much harder either. One hotel had indoor parking (although when I returned, a big block of parking was roped off with CAUTION tape and my car was the only one inside o_O ). Felt like I was leaving a crime scene :D
None of this was specifically at JFK, though. I'll try to see if I can find the name of the company.

ETA: Global Airport Parking

Last edited:
I have some questions regarding closing credit cards/accounts. Right now, I have the following cards:

Delta AmEx - member since 2014, just upgraded to platinum for bonus sky miles rewards still need to hit my msr.
Citi card - opened in 2017 - mainly used for balance transfers to lower interest rates.
Discover - opened in 2018 for same reason as Citi.
Disney Chase card - opened in 2019.

I’ve been in bad CC debt for years, hence the balance transfer cards. I’ve been working like crazy a couple extra pt wfh jobs during covid and am at a point I should have all cards paid off by end of May, or close to depending on my hours this month. Needless to say, I’m ecstatic to be at this point.

My questions:
1. Should I close any of the cards?
2. If so, how many?
3. Should I space out the closings?
4. Does it hurt my credit score to keep them open vs close them?

I’m mainly thinking about the Discover and Citi due to the others being rewards cards. TIA for any knowledge you’re able to pass along.

I have some questions regarding closing credit cards/accounts. Right now, I have the following cards:

Delta AmEx - member since 2014, just upgraded to platinum for bonus sky miles rewards still need to hit my msr.
Citi card - opened in 2017 - mainly used for balance transfers to lower interest rates.

I’ve been in bad CC debt for years, hence the balance transfer cards. I’ve been working like crazy a couple extra pt wfh jobs during covid and am at a point I should have all cards paid off by end of May, or close to depending on my hours this month. Needless to say, I’m ecstatic to be at this point.

My questions:
2. If so, how many?

I’m mainly thinking about the Discover and Citi due to the others being rewards cards. TIA for any knowledge you’re able to pass along.
First, CONGRATULATIONS! Your hard work is paying off! Next you'll be joining our FIRE group here on the DISboards.

Generally keep all cards open (even put a small purchase on once a year, so they don't cancel it for you), unless they have an annual fee and the benefits no longer outweigh the fee. This helps your average age of credit and more importantly your utilization (total balance / total credit line). Both of which help your credit score.

Discover has 5% rolling quarterly reward categories. Not familiar with the Citi cards, but the above still applies

My questions:
2. If so, how many?

I am in the camp that if I don't plan on using a card, I am closing it out. They will report for up to 10 years after closure. You should always have the card open at least a year to make good with the bank, especially if you may want another product from them down the road.

Utilization is a key factor and with so few cards, maybe just keep them open. Discover (assuming you have the IT and not the Miles) has rotating categories that can be useful. Disney run promos and discounts from time to time, plus in park perks. If you want to trim, maybe just the Citi and keep everything else. I assume you fly Delta and can utilize the points/perks.

I have done massive closings in the past, like 5 in one day, and I didn't see anything negative in regards to my score.

Just my two cents....but more importantly...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm sure that will be a huge weight off your shoulders. :yay:

First, CONGRATULATIONS! Your hard work is paying off! Next you'll be joining our FIRE group here on the DISboards.

Generally keep all cards open (even put a small purchase on once a year, so they don't cancel it for you), unless they have an annual fee and the benefits no longer outweigh the fee. This helps your average age of credit and more importantly your utilization (total balance / total credit line). Both of which help your credit score.

Discover has 5% rolling quarterly reward categories. Not familiar with the Citi cards, but the above still applies
Thanks. Both the rewards cards have AFs, but not the Discover and Citi.

I'm guessing unless I'm getting people signed up for these, I probably won't get a good return over the AFs though, unfortunately.

I am in the camp that if I don't plan on using a card, I am closing it out. They will report for up to 10 years after closure. You should always have the card open at least a year to make good with the bank, especially if you may want another product from them down the road.

Utilization is a key factor and with so few cards, maybe just keep them open. Discover (assuming you have the IT and not the Miles) has rotating categories that can be useful. Disney run promos and discounts from time to time, plus in park perks. If you want to trim, maybe just the Citi and keep everything else. I assume you fly Delta and can utilize the points/perks.

I have done massive closings in the past, like 5 in one day, and I didn't see anything negative in regards to my score.

Just my two cents....but more importantly...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm sure that will be a huge weight off your shoulders. :yay:
Great info. I do have the IT card, meant to say that. You make some great points about keeping all but Citi.

You mentioned I don't have that many cards, which I was thinking was getting too high. Haha. I know about the 4/24 rule, but how many open cards would be considered "getting up there" or too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter