I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ABD to NZ booked for next March (I am hoping that it doesn't get cancelled). Yesterday I booked the flights for ds and myself using the Avios that I had left from the cancelled Maldives trips. This is what our trip looks like so far:

Toronto to London (Air Canada -- will book flights using points in the next few weeks -- no rush since AC flies there several times a day); overnight at the Hilton Heathrow

London to Doha on Qatar business class (Q Suites); 3 nights in Doha (I wasn't able to get a direct flight, so why not?!)

Doha to Sydney on Qatar business class (Q Suites); 4 nights in Sydney (most importantly to me, I'll be there on a Saturday to hit the markets that I loved last time that we were there!) at the PH (3 nights points and cash in harbour view room and 1 night points in regular room)

Sydney to Melbourne: will book on Quantas when they open up availability, using MRs (AmEx plat biz); 3 nights

Melbourne to Auckland: flights as above, 2 pre-ABD nights at the PH (used URs to transfer to Hyatt)

After the ABD (we are staying an additional 2 nights at the end of the trip in Queenston for Millford sound and to do some hiking) we will do 1 of 2 things:

Get to Auckland and fly Auckland to Vancouver, Vancouver to Toronto using Air Canada (biz class) OR

Fly to Sydney, then Sydney direct to IAD on Etihad first class, then United IAD to Toronto (this is the most likely scenario)

It was tricky booking the Qatar flights using Avios. I have been studying Qatar's award seat releases for the past few weeks so that I would be able to book the day they released the seats that we needed. But their pattern is irregular and they didn't release any seats for the direct flight that I was hoping for, thus the stopover for 3 days in Doha (ds and I are looking forward to some dune smashing in the desert there!). I will do the same with the Etihad first class seats, but the Etihad pattern is more predictable.

The Qatar flights alone would have cost me $9,244.00 cash. All Avios were originally transferred to BA from UR (back when they had a 30% promo 2 years ago), except for an extra 40,000 points that I knew I would need that I transferred last week from my Cdn MR stash. Without this hobby we would never be in QSuites since they are OneWorld and AC is Star Alliance! LOVE this hobby!

:worship: You are my idol. I was intimidated just reading what you put together. Congratulations- it sounds like a bucket list trip!!!

I wanted to share two recent experiences with the Amex Plat Concierge, in case others might be interested, especially those headed to Maui.

Request 1:
Reservations at Mama’s Fish House, two weeks from now
Result: While on chat, they attempted to contact the restaurant and secure reservations I was unable to secure online. They were unable to obtain reservations and informed me the restaurant indicated “we are fully committed for all tables through the end of April.”

Request 2:
Research hiking trails, waterfalls and springs/swimming holes in Maui, including transportation costs and distance from WA Grand Wailea
Result: Concierge requested a few days to turnaround and committed to EOD Tuesday or sooner. By Wednesday, no response. When contacted again, they requested additional time. By Thursday I received a list (name, distance, cost) and requested a bit more time to finish up springs/swimming holes. I was disappointed by the output. By Friday they sent over a completely different research project, with descriptions and links. I’m not sure why the the sudden change, but sort of suspect they never put anything together initially, rushed something out the door, and then delivered the final product. I was pleased with the research and at no cost to me, was an easy starting point to share with my group and then do more research on our own.

You might be asking why not do my own research or google searches. I am very DIY, almost to a fault. I think with so many trips being canceled, I definitely have cancellation fatigue. So perhaps I didn’t want to get too invested. And I wanted to try a service included with the Amex Platinum card. Based on the experience, I would task them with future requests, probably further in advance.

In the end we’ve decided to do the Road to Hana and are using the App Guided Shaka Maui ($14.99) and combining it with some of the Amex research.

I thought I’d share a sample if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me if you’d like me to email you a copy.

COPIED FROM AMEX EMAIL:

The distances listed are from your hotel to the locations.

Insider Tip: For many locations if there is a cost for parking or entry the entry fee paid at one location may be valid for multiple locations for up to 3 days if you save your receipt.

Trails:

Hosmer Grove Loop Trail
Distance: 41.3 Miles
Parking: $30.00

Cost to enter the Haleakala National Park:
Private vehicle: $25
Motorcycle: $20
Individual person: $12 (cyclists, pedestrians, hikers)

Link to this option: https://bit.ly/3vqlr0W
About: “Hosmer Grove Trail is located (just barely) inside Haleakala National Park. At approximately mile marker 10.5 on Highway 378, just after entering the park, you'll want to turn left to the start of the Hosmer Grove trail.
At about 0.3 miles down the road (on the right) you may notice one of Hawaii's famous sandalwood trees. The sandalwood has a long history in Hawaii and was once very precious in China for making incense and aromatic woodcarvings. “

Wai'anapanapa State Park Trails
Distance: 62.3 Miles
Parking: $10.00

Link to this option including a couple of short videos: https://bit.ly/3rO84We
Reviewer: "Beautiful beach, easy trails, amazing views"

Hoapili Trail & Kings Trail
Distance: 6.9 Miles
Parking: Free
Cost: Free
Link to further information about this location: https://bit.ly/3cJTKIj
Map of the area: https://bit.ly/3qLbk3t
About “From La Perouse Bay, this section of the ancient King’s Trail follows the coastline across jagged lava flows. The first part of the trail is along the sandy beach at La Perouse Bay. Be prepared: wear hiking boots, bring plenty to drink, start early and tell someone where you’re going. It’s a dry area with no water and little vegetation, so it can get very hot.”

Twin Falls Trail
Distance: 32.1 Miles
Parking: Free
Cost: Entrance to Twin Falls is free,
Link to further details of the location: https://bit.ly/38Dqp0V
About: “Twin Falls is the first easily accessible string of waterfalls and pools on the Road to Hana. It also has one of the better snack stands on the journey. Twin falls is typically underrated by guidebooks, and is a worthy stop.”

Kuloa Point Trail
Distance: 64.7 Miles
Parking: $30.00
Admission is $10
Link to further details: https://bit.ly/3tc54Do
About: “This hike is located near the Oheo Gulch which is about 15 minutes past Hana, near mile marker 42. The Kahakai Trail stretches a quarter-mile between Kuloa Point and the Kipahulu campground near the 'Ohe'o Gulch.
Shoreline views along the ocean are beautiful, but be mindful of your step.”

Iao Valley State Park
Distance: 19.7 Miles
Parking: $10
Entry Cost: entrance fee when entering the park that ranges from $5 to $40 depending on how many passengers are in the vehicle.
Link to further details: https://bit.ly/3vn7Zer
About: “Visiting the Iao Valley on Maui is a must do when vacationing on the island. The park is home to one of Maui's most recognizable landmarks, the 1,200-foot Iao Needle. This iconic green-mantled rock outcropping overlooks Iao stream and is an amazing attraction for easy hiking and sightseeing”

Thank you for sharing this! We have a trip planned in July to Maui and I really need to get busy researching. This will definitely help!

:worship: You are my idol. I was intimidated just reading what you put together. Congratulations- it sounds like a bucket list trip!!!
Thank you! I forgot to mention that we are staying at the PH in Melbourne on points!

When booking flights (at least overseas -- domestic seems to be a bit easier) on points it is critical to plan at least a year in advance. I know that BA will likely drop their first class seat on the 777 in 4-6 days with a connection in Tokyo (then biz class to Sydney on Japan Air), but I wanted the QSuites, so jumped on the 2 seats that dropped on Qatar early yesterday morning). Also to have flexibility, since my initial plan wasn't to spend any time in Doha, now we are there for 3 nights (I will most likely book the JW Marriott there for the free plat breakfast and use my SNAs to maybe get a good upgrade).

I am trying not to get my hopes up on this trip since NZ has been very strict with foreigners entering during COVID, but I had to book the flights (and I can always get the points back if the plug gets pulled on the ABD). We have heard that NZ said they likely won't be open to tourists until the 2nd quarter of 2022; our trip is mid-March, so we are hopeful that it might go (and the itinerary is amazing, so I REALLY want it to happen).

Just went for the citizen bank offer - transferred the opening $ from Discover,which I *think* qualifies for a DD.... I haven't really done a bank open for a bonus before, and this is actually bc I want to switch banks anyway.... anyone know how long I'll have to wait for the bonus? I'd like to advise my DS to open one also (to switch banks) but he doesn't get DD from a job, and I want to be sure he gets that bonus for switching.... any thoughts from the bank bonus pros?

So while I catch up on reading from the weekend.....My teaching schedule has me in the classroom M-TH and then Friday is remote. I'm done w/ students around noon then it's office hours. I was all kinds of sad as my BF got a trip Thursday that was going to have him gone all weekend (and last week was my off week w/ the kids). With Rona he's not really flown a ton, so I've been spoiled. Weds he had to do his line check and flew from DTW to MCO and back. Then TH he was supposed to end up in FLL for the night. His flights got changed and he ended back in Detroit at midnight. I was SUPER excited until he told me just after he landed that he got a flight for Friday to LAX.

After my classes were done on Friday, I packed everything up to do office hours from his house to see him before he left. Over lunch we joked that I should join him on his flight. It was DTW to LAX with a 22 hour layover. A late flight there, Friday night, and the red eye back on Saturday. His flight showed completely booked but we decided to risk it. He doesn't have me on his flight benefits yet, so I had to use one of his buddy passes which means I'm the lowest priority to board. Apparently gate agents aren't always the nicest, so he was worried I wasn't going to get on the flight. If I was on his benefits I get the same level priority as him to get on the flight. Well I guess we lucked out because the agent cleared me for the entire exit row :) (He flies Spirit, so there's no lucking out on 1st class, LOL). We've flown before, but never with him actually flying the plane, so I was all excited. Our plan was do to the whale watching tour in Long Beach where they stay.

Jump head to literally 2 minutes before we board (the BF was already on the plane getting it ready) the agent makes an announcement for everyone to check their emails. EVERYONE starts groaning. Our flight was supposed to take off at 8:45pm, and the email stated it was being delayed till 6am. I sent him a text joking, did he get the flight cancelled so we could go home. He had no clue what was going on. At this point the FAs had gotten onto the plane and said they had gotten notice their report time was now 6am. Then the rumors started. I had noticed he didn't have an FO. One gate agent had said it was a plane maintenance issue. So I text him about that. He called me. He told me the plane was 100% fine, but he didn't have an FO. He was gonna get ready to call scheduling to see about that. About 10 minutes later he came out to talk to the agent and see me. Seems no one was telling him anything really or the gate agents. But they were starting to give hotel rooms and food vouchers and clearing the gate (sending people home). He went back onto the plane to try and find out more.

At that point I became his eyes and ears. He was on hold w/ Spirit trying to figure out what was going on. So I was feeding him info. His FAs were like how are you finding this all out, he's like my GF is sitting at the gate :rotfl2:. In the end there was a plane from BWI that was having issues. So they diverted that plane to DTW as it's a maintenance base. The plan was to try and fix it, but they took the BFs plane (and moved the flight till 6am) so they had a back up. Ironic thing is, he flew an empty plane in Thursday night, but he figures that was already put into the rotation. The BWI plane didn't even land until 12:00am and we don't know if they ended up using our LAX plane or not. We would have been over Vegas before they even landed.

The girl next to me at the gate was all kinds of nervous. She had heard the rumors that the plane had issues. I told her, oh no the plane is fine. She's like how do you know? I said that's my BF sitting on it. He's the captain, LOL. She then told me how she hadn't flown in over 2 years, and she spent the day praying that the pilot had a good day. I had to laugh. I told her he had a great day. Got to sleep in, had a nice lunch, I had grabbed/packed him a dinner and he even had a nap :rotfl2:She was hoping he'd be her pilot at 6am, but I told her I knew that wouldn't happen (he was outside the "rest time" reqs).

In the end, the BF got released from the flight and we headed back home. I went from not seeing him till Monday, to going on a trip to LA with him, to having him home all weekend, LOL. Such is the glamorous life of a pilot's GF. And the moral of the story.....Don't believe everything you hear sitting at the gate, LOL. We're not sure why Spirit decided to move his flight to 6am. The BF's like why piss off 2 planes full of people. Should have let us take off and either put the BWI people in a hotel, fix their plane or get another plane there for them.

But like I said, it worked out in that I got to have him home all weekend. We were bummed about missing out on the whale tour, but I do have all summer to tag along w/ him :)
That's a great insider story. Sorry about your missed excursion, but thanks for sharing!

Just went for the citizen bank offer - transferred the opening $ from Discover,which I *think* qualifies for a DD.... I haven't really done a bank open for a bonus before, and this is actually bc I want to switch banks anyway.... anyone know how long I'll have to wait for the bonus? I'd like to advise my DS to open one also (to switch banks) but he doesn't get DD from a job, and I want to be sure he gets that bonus for switching.... any thoughts from the bank bonus pros?
Search DoC for a post on that bonus/last bonus. The comments should help you estimate the bonus posting timeframe.

I’m applying DH for a CIC and I’m stumped on the business category. He has been selling on eBay for about 20 years.
So I’m putting “Retail: Books, Hobbies, music, sports, general, nonstore Retail,” but I can’t figure out what the next two sub-categories should be? Any advice?

ETA: I went with "Other Miscellaneous store retail." I got "We need more time..."
Depends on what you sell on eBay, I guess. Nearly all my sales are pre-owned/used so I pick "Used Merchandise". If you sell a mix of items then I'd suggest what you used, Other Miscellaneous. 🤞

Can someone help out a lazy person?? Is the Southwest magic change window still open? If so, for what dates currently? I’m contemplating a late April or early May trip and when I can finagle flights will play into my decision....

And it’s been awhile since I used the magic change window. If I’m booking brand new flights, I just book the cheapest possible option within x (how many?) days of my desired travel date, and then I can change it to my desired travel date and time? It’s been so long that I feel like a rookie all over again!

Probably not the best way to ask for help. 😅
I thought honesty was the best policy 😂. I meant that as in - I KNOW the answer is somewhere in these 270 pages, and I’m sure i read about it when it was posted, but it’s a tough concept to search for, so I’m hoping a kind soul who knows the answer will take pity on me and share their wealth of knowledge - pretty pretty please?? 😀😀

I thought honesty was the best policy 😂. I meant that as in - I KNOW the answer is somewhere in these 270 pages, and I’m sure i read about it when it was posted, but it’s a tough concept to search for, so I’m hoping a kind soul who knows the answer will take pity on me and share their wealth of knowledge - pretty pretty please?? 😀😀
The window is typically only open Wed-Sun (or maybe late Tuesday) so the window just closed on 3/14.

Several weeks ago someone (I'm sorry I can't remember who) was talking about using money orders to pay off their vehicle loan (which they have through a financial institution). I am very interested in this as I owe less than $3K on my loan and would love to get it paid off AND get points for it.

I've never used/bought/received a money order in my life, so can someone tell me whether I have the steps right?

1- purchase Visa GC's (preferably at Staples or something when they are doing the "no fee" promotion, of course using a CIC that I'm trying to meet MSR on)
2- take those Visa GC's to... Frys, maybe? and use them to purchase money orders (not really sure where I can buy them that will accept the GCs as payment. Are GCs considered "debit" cards??? I see the post office says I can purchase money orders with a debit card but not a credit card)
3- deposit those money orders, either to the Credit Union who my vehicle loan is through, OR, could I deposit them in my own Credit Union and then just have the money in my account to send via bill pay to the other credit union? I feel like there is something wrong with the second scenario.

What I am I missing/what do I have wrong? (Probably a lot wrong!)

Several weeks ago someone (I'm sorry I can't remember who) was talking about using money orders to pay off their vehicle loan (which they have through a financial institution). I am very interested in this as I owe less than $3K on my loan and would love to get it paid off AND get points for it.

I've never used/bought/received a money order in my life, so can someone tell me whether I have the steps right?

1- purchase Visa GC's (preferably at Staples or something when they are doing the "no fee" promotion, of course using a CIC that I'm trying to meet MSR on)
2- take those Visa GC's to... Frys, maybe? and use them to purchase money orders (not really sure where I can buy them that will accept the GCs as payment. Are GCs considered "debit" cards??? I see the post office says I can purchase money orders with a debit card but not a credit card)
3- deposit those money orders, either to the Credit Union who my vehicle loan is through, OR, could I deposit them in my own Credit Union and then just have the money in my account to send via bill pay to the other credit union? I feel like there is something wrong with the second scenario.

What I am I missing/what do I have wrong? (Probably a lot wrong!)
I paid most of dd's $15k car loan off with MOs. I think #2 is the one that may be YMMV. Food Lion allows visa gift cards since they are pin-based debit cards. That's all FL cares about. But FL is the only place I've purchased MOs so hopefully others can chime in. And correct on 3. I took mine right to B of A. But occassionally I'd deposit them with one of my banks and then just use that money to pay the car payment.

We're not planning to stay anywhere that we can use our Hilton resort credits from our Aspires this year, but we are planning a trip to HHI this spring. Can we buy a gift card at the Hilton Grand Vacations resort on HHI that falls into the resort category? If not, would any purchase at the resort qualify for the credit (ie: eat at the restaurant, buy something at the gift shop - we are staying at another resort, not Hilton)

Last edited:
That's a great insider story. Sorry about your missed excursion, but thanks for sharing!

I'm sure we'll have some this summer (if not sooner). It was just the perfect situation. On reserve he rarely gets LAX anymore and it's a turn. So it's easy for me to join him. Plus it was a weekend. Plus I didn't have my kids (but their dad is awesome about taking them if I needed it). My 15yo DD just stressed that IF I saw Harry Styles I was to kidnap him for her bday (tomorrow) :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: .

But I will say, dating a pilot, I've learned SOOOO much about the airline industry. If I do retire in 3 years and become an FA, I'll have all that inside info, LOL. I also learned a ton dating a cop, LOL. Now when I was married to a CPA I didn't learn much. In fact I was telling HIM all the things w/ this year's return and the new stimulus checks, LOL.

We're not planning to stay anywhere that we can use our Hilton resort credits from our Aspires this year, but we are planning a trip to HHI this spring. Can we buy a gift card at the Hilton Grand Vacations resort on HHI that falls into the resort category? If not, would any purchase at the resort qualify for the credit (ie: eat at the restaurant, buy something at the gift shop - we are staying at another resort, not Hilton)
I would like to know this too. From what I read, you have to be staying there, but I am not sure. I don't have an Aspire for this reason.

Can someone help out a lazy person?? Is the Southwest magic change window still open? If so, for what dates currently? I’m contemplating a late April or early May trip and when I can finagle flights will play into my decision....

And it’s been awhile since I used the magic change window. If I’m booking brand new flights, I just book the cheapest possible option within x (how many?) days of my desired travel date, and then I can change it to my desired travel date and time? It’s been so long that I feel like a rookie all over again!

From what I understand:
1. The change window is not currently open
2. There is speculation that it will open closer towards the end of the month for May/June
3. Flights can be moved 30 days from the date selected.
4. Some users report you can make multiple changes to get to your preferred date. I’ve seen other DPs that say they were only allowed one change.

Love your honesty and “fall on your sword” attitude. Good luck.

Looking at our 2021 travel plans:
Costa Rica & Hawaii
I plan on transferring all our MRs over to Hilton - I will need to book 2 rooms at Grand Wailea - I'll have 556,000 HH. I'll be 204,000 points short. DH is eligible for the HH Biz card, but because the Amex Green charge card counts as a credit card he's at 4 CCs - I've seen mix reviews on 4 CC limit. Anyone have any better information on CC limit? I might just have DH cancel his Bonvoy Biz, but I was hoping not to do that until the next AF in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter