I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I could use some help. I have been out of the churning game for so long (think 15-20 years) that I don't even know where to start. I live in a small town in Texas where our only full jet service is SW. AA and United fly out as well, but it is their small, regional service planes. We are small business owners and do a fair amount of business travel, so keeping our SW companion pass is really important. I haven't applied for a credit card in many years and our credit is pristine. I often ask clients about the card they are using and what they love most about it, but after I found this thread, I realized this is where the experts live. FWIW, I just recently discovered there were bonus offers I could click with y Chase Disney and SW. What would you suggest?

Current Cards:
Southwest Business Visa (basic one) we always hit the 110,000 points for a companion pass with charges--credits to Mr's SW account
Southwest Visa (basic). never use it. credits to my SW account. Paying 69/yr for really nothing
United Explorer (basic 99/yr). We fly United 1-2 times a year. This card pays for an extra bag for each of us so it is a wash. In the "olden days" we got Priority Boarding. never use it.
Disney (basic) the grocery/misc. card. We get maybe a few hundred a year in reward dollars.
Capital One Business--absolutely no rewards. However, the interest rate is often next to nothing (3%) so it is sometimes used for short term business debt.
Citi Rewards+ Business--didn't even know we had this one until I saw it on our credit report. Never Use it.
Amex Platinum Business (with a second card) pay 599 + 300. We don't fully utilize this card. We keep it for the Priority Pass memberships, Centurion Club, $200 American credit and the rental car protection--really important for overseas car rentals. Once a year, each of us have to rent cars in our own name so we need both of the cards. Plus, it stinks if I am traveling sans the Mr and don't have club access.
Hilton Honors Amex. no fee. This is a sentimental card. It was my first cc over 25 years ago. I let my daughter use it for "emergencies" so it doesn't get any use at all. Since the Mr is the primary for the Amex Plat, he gets automatic gold status and we use his account for everything. This does come with a silver membership.

Goals: we travel quite a bit. We cruise on RC once every other year and fly primarily SW (because of the companion pass). We do a tiny bit of international travel every few years, but I'm not loyal to airlines. It is often whatever one had the best schedule at the moment. We are pretty basic--we might upgrade to business class on occasion. I'm not brand loyal on hotels. The Amex gives us gold status with Marriott and Hilton. I have some legacy status with IGH. We really are DL people, but we make it to WDW every other year. Hitting a minimum spending on any card shouldn't be a problem. I would just stop using the Disney or the debit card on the personal side to hit it.

What would you do in my situation?
Is it just 2 of you traveling? When does your cp expire? If you don’t need the cp for this year Id do a chase ink unlimited or cash while their bonus is 75k UR for $7500 spend. I’d also get the CSR when you are ready to start making reservations for travel. I like using the Pay your self right now but that only for a few more months. But when you redeem travel it’s at 1.5 rate so take the cost of your travel and divide it by 1.5 and that’s the cost in UR needed. There’s more info on dischurners about how some have redeemed and for support when signing up for new cards.

To flip this question a bit, why do you want a new credit card? It sounds like perhaps you are truly looking for the ONE best card to put your spend on.
Conversely, many of us here are looking for the NEXT new card to put our spend on, to earn a sign up bonus. Any extra spend we put on a card with the best return for that category.

There’s no one size fits all strategy, it’s really up to each individual on what they are hoping to achieve with credit card use.

What you might find with a new Chase card is that you’ll get the sign up bonus (yay!) AND have a card which has versatile use. If you want to convert URs to Southwest, you can do an immediate transfer to your RR account at a 1:1 ratio.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For the business, I really need to stick with one or two. SW and Amex Plat. are the current go tos. I did follow y'alls suggestion and applied for the new SW business card. I then sat down and did the head-to-head comparison of the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat. I'm still debating that one. On the personal side, that's where I think I could really chase the points. FWIU, the Chase cards seem to offer a bit more than the hotel or airline cards. Right?

Is it just 2 of you traveling? When does your cp expire? If you don’t need the cp for this year Id do a chase ink unlimited or cash while their bonus is 75k UR for $7500 spend. I’d also get the CSR when you are ready to start making reservations for travel. I like using the Pay your self right now but that only for a few more months. But when you redeem travel it’s at 1.5 rate so take the cost of your travel and divide it by 1.5 and that’s the cost in UR needed. There’s more info on dischurners about how some have redeemed and for support when signing up for new cards.

It is usually 3-4 of us traveling--and I like to pay for my parents or in-laws, kiddos friends, etc. when we travel. If you have to make adjustments to travel, how does that work if you book directly through chase?

Does anyone know if YouTubeTV counts as a cable service eligible for 5x points on the CIC?
This is what I found with the Chase Freedom which is offering 5x on cable and streaming (and internet, and other categories for Q1). Chase will code YouTubeTV the same whether it's a personal or business card. Chase will count it as streaming.

I find Amex's streaming services merchant list is broader than Chase's.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For the business, I really need to stick with one or two. SW and Amex Plat. are the current go tos. I did follow y'alls suggestion and applied for the new SW business card. I then sat down and did the head-to-head comparison of the Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat. I'm still debating that one. On the personal side, that's where I think I could really chase the points. FWIU, the Chase cards seem to offer a bit more than the hotel or airline cards. Right?
Do both of you have a SW CP...if not you could have the other go for one too since you have 3-4people traveling
I book hotels through the Chase travel portal all the time...just make sure you book refundable rooms

Last edited:
It is usually 3-4 of us traveling--and I like to pay for my parents or in-laws, kiddos friends, etc. when we travel. If you have to make adjustments to travel, how does that work if you book directly through chase?
Then I would go for both of you to get the cp. did either one of you get the swa promotion for 30% more points? We are a family of 5 and have the cp for both of us. This was 2 kids are free and we just pay for 3 of us. As for booking with chase I just book the hotel room/s we want. I just put my info and tend to call the hotel later to add more guests if needed. Haven’t had a problem yet. I book flights directly with swa though Bc I like getting my points back if we have to cancel. If you are short on points you can always transfer UR to swa. But I try not to since I have the swa cards.

Amex did not do a HP last time.
yup, Amex probably won't do a HP

I'm pondering the AMEX Plat with a targeted mailer that expires 1/31 and I'd really like to not see another hard pull right now. Is this for existing AMEX holders or anyone? Typical practice for them?

Also, I STILL haven't received my new Hyatt card and I'm itching to get started on my spending and mattress runs!! I was approved 12/22 so I'm hoping it arrives soon! Wonder if this has to do with the USPS delays and issues...

Once again trying to rebook a United flight through Chase travel. Original flight was July, cost $232, then rebooked for Dec, paying an extra $220. Total credit is now $452. So they have MAJOR issues finding the 2nd credit. After 3 calls, got someone who could get that far. Now the new flight we want to book on United website is $283 for regular economy. But rep says it would cost $470 using the credit, something about she was able to book a slightly higher level of economy on her July flight? I may never book travel through Chase again.
If you have a United MileagePlus Account, try logging in and see if your credits are listed there. I booked my original flights through Chase and had the same problems with the price. I was able to log in to P2‘s MileagePlus account, see our credits there, and use the steps listed on their website to book the new flight at the lower price. Good luck—it is frustrating!

I didn’t get the scribd offer but wish I did. I’ve had a subscription for a while now. What I like about it is you can get sheet music on it, which is great for musicians. I don’t know of any other services that have that. I have two kids using it for music, one for guitar and one for piano.
Thanks for mentioning the sheet music. I signed up for scribd, and found The Mandalorian theme song and now my goal is to figure out how to play it on the piano. #2021Goals

I get so confused - We are looking at booking a Hyatt on points in Key West from Feb 28-March 5. My understanding is that we will miss the extra 25% points refund (we are WOH card holders), but I got thinking about a couple other things. Do points bookings still receive free resort fees and free parking? All of the covid updates are so confusing as to what is a temporary benefit and what is just a normal benefit.

The points value and cash really aren't too different when I consider how much PYB gets now, so I'm trying to make sure I"m considering all benefits both ways. We are just discoverists, so I don't believe we get free breakfast or really any other benefits for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter