I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SW is only doing the change window because they are cancelling some flights due to COVID and moving reservations. I wouldn’t book the cheapest flights and hope to move them to the ones you want.
Sometimes the flights are the cheapest on opening day other times they aren’t...

Oh ok I thought it was a normal thing.

GOAL: Disney trip already booked for January of 2022, staying at Caribbean Beach Resort with 4 day park passes, then changing hotels (not sure which one yet, considering Hard Rock Hotel for the free Unlimited Express passes) and spending a day or two at Universal.

[I do have 2 cards with balances at 0% (Citi Double Cash and DiscoverIt Cash back) that were transferred balances before I learned about points/rewards, sadly I am still working to pay those off but they are sort of out of the “equation” of travel rewards for now. They can be safely disregarded for the purposes of this post and just focus on the rest of the cards that get paid off every month. ]

P1 (me):

(List 5/24 cards)

Marriot Bonvoy

Chase Sapphire Preferred (approx 65k UR points currently)

United Explorer

a dumb Lowe’s card

Citi Double Cash

P2 5/24 cards:

Citi Double Cash (AU but recently removed so hopefully won’t count for 5/24)

AU on the Marriot Bonvoy card above

P1: approx 730-740 score, 7 hard inquiries in part due to refinancing two properties (home and rental) last year, ]][2 of those will drop off by the end of 2021, but in general I think I will be dancing close to the fire by trying to get approved for any other cards this year plus I am already at 5/24, so will focus mainly on P2.

P2 Used to have an 800+ credit score but we ignored credit cards for a long while/didn’t use them and didn’t realize that companies just close old accounts without even notifying you, so a few old accounts (10 and 12 year old cards) got closed and drastically reduced his age of credit and utilization rate. So, I added P2 as an AU on a couple of my cards (older than 2 years) with $0 balances and high available credit to improve his credit utilization. I took him off as an AU on another card with a balance that I had added him on as AU before I knew about 5/24, etc. Currently P2’s score is around 675-730 and unfortunately got denied for CSP a few weeks ago, but I expect the score to jump quite a bit once the updates I made come into effect.

Ideally I would like to have him get the CSP within a few months. I’m really nervous about a denial, though! Those welcome points will be so helpful, which I expect to put towards airfare.

On my Marriot Bonvoy I am Gold Elite and I have approx 250k points. Originally I had considered staying at the Dolphin at Disney and using the Marriot points (it would take all of them) but after much consideration went with doing the full Disney experience for our first family trip to Disney and staying at 100% Disney hotel. I could move to a Marriot hotel after the Disney portion of our trip but those free Unlimited Express passes at Universal Hard Rock Hotel are so tempting….

Convenience is important as well as avoiding time waiting in line at the parks. I’m willing to spend more for those things.

United is the only airline that flies our of our local airport. I would absolutely love to fly Southwest but the closest airport to me that Southwest flies out of is 5 hours away and that would not be cool with little kids to travel that far to and from the airport. I really just want to fly out of my local airport, I know it will be more expensive. I just got the United Explorer card and will make the minimum spend to get the welcome bonus of 40k points.

If you’ve made it to the end of this, I applaud you!

If you have any thoughts about next steps, I would gladly take them! :)

I don’t have a recommendation for what card would be best considering your P2’s credit score, etc, but I would strongly recommend using some of those URs to book your room at Hard Rock at Universal through the portal at 1.25 cpp. 65k URs works out to about $812.00 with a CSP, which should be enough to cover two nights. It is the most convenient hotel at Universal and with EPs in January your line waits will be minimal. Of course Hard Rock Hotel was my first major points redemption so I’m a bit biased :)

Thanks for the heads up. Tried 5/24 with no luck. If anyone gets any intel on the date window, please share.
I was able to move 4/17 so it is probably a third opening of mid April- early May schedule. I couldn’t move my 4/1 or 4/5 flights. DH had just asked about staying a day in San Diego on our return from HI but he seems to forget we have sweet Puggles to get home to.

Well 4th time was not a charm. DD and I cancelled our April trip. The comfort level was just not enough, being this close to the light at the end of the tunnel. But, we rebooked for the end of October so we can ride Remy!!! I was, all at the same time, nauseated and wanting to cry, and relieved and excited, all at the same time. I"m sure it's going to be insanely busy but oh well. Other option was early August, but that would not have Remy and the last several trips have been in the August heat...so I thought this might be better. Costing me a ton in DVC points, since I had to go up in villa size, to get something, but again, oh well.
Now I have DVC points that I can use that will expire in September, anyone need any LOL?
And now I can modify my Delta flight and get that 2500 bonus miles LOL.
We made the same decision and I feel the same way. We are booked for November and have points that will expire at the end of September. So you are not alone. We thought about trying to go ourselves in august too but just really don’t want to go down in the summer. I have reached out to a few friends about our points but so far no one is interested in renting.

I was able to move 4/17 so it is probably a third opening of mid April- early May schedule. I couldn’t move my 4/1 or 4/5 flights. DH had just asked about staying a day in San Diego on our return from HI but he seems to forget we have sweet Puggles to get home to.
Enjoy your trip...and I’m :rotfl2:about your DH and puggles..mine just did the same thing forgetting we are having our neighbor come to our home a few times a day to take care of our pup this trip.

With SW doing these windows a few times a year would it be best to book the cheapest flights when your dates open? Then you could update when a free change window opens. If it doesn’t open you could always cancel or rebook. Do SW flights usually go down or will they be pretty cheap if you book ASAP?
this can be tricky if you're not booking with points....

I was able to move mid April bookings. It just dawned on me today that I could move 30 days forward. SMH! So I was able to get next weeks flights for significantly less and saved a little in early April.

CONFIRMED VIA SCREENSHOT PROVIDED TO DOC:
Chase increasing SUB on CSR/CSR
View attachment 562033
What's the shortest period of time you've seen an offer like this stay open? Would I need to move on it right away? I'm a little concerned about velocity. I applied for (and got) the Amex Plat on 1/27, and then I applied (and was rejected) for the CIC on 2/25. I figure I should wait at least 30 days since my last hard pull, but I would like to MDD these sometime in April, when I will be doing some spending for my 5/1-5/8 Disney trip (and then at Disney when I should be able to put some decent spend on the cards.) I burned through my Plat MSR quickly due to a VRBO reservation, and now OF COURSE I find myself with some decent-sized expenses and no MSR to use them on.

Curious, does anyone know what kind of hit my credit score may take once I no longer have a mortgage? Does thr history stay like for cc's?

Also guessing, and yes I know, that still having my student loans will help as far as it being more than just cc's. Though knocking it out is the next goal. It had such a low interest rate and payment I've never been worried about it.

I've just read on reddit some people have been denied, I think from bofa, due to a lack of an installment loan so I'm trying to figure out how it'll all work as I don't plan on buying a house any time soon. Can't afford to here.

OK Delta, just used this offer, how fast do I get my miles LOL...
You may have called us in the past to adjust your travel plans. Because we know plans can change, we now have an easier way for you to take control of your travel. If you need to change your flight, you can quickly make changes at delta.com or with the Fly Delta App. Then, as a one-time offer, we’ll gift you 2,500 bonus miles. Rest assured, the value of your ticket will not be lost. Offer ends June 30, 2021.

And 3 weeks now with no dining credit on our Hilton Amex. Doesn't really make me want to use the March offer at this point.

And 3 weeks now with no dining credit on our Hilton Amex. Doesn't really make me want to use the March offer at this point.
You may want to consider a chat with AMEX. I honestly think it’s the only reason I received my early February PayPal credits. Even though the rep. said it could take up to 12 weeks, it appears I was given a manual credit. 🤷🏼‍♀️

OK Delta, just used this offer, how fast do I get my miles LOL...
You may have called us in the past to adjust your travel plans. Because we know plans can change, we now have an easier way for you to take control of your travel. If you need to change your flight, you can quickly make changes at delta.com or with the Fly Delta App. Then, as a one-time offer, we’ll gift you 2,500 bonus miles. Rest assured, the value of your ticket will not be lost. Offer ends June 30, 2021.

all of my dining/phone offers posted within 48 hour this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter