I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dumb Southwest question. How does the upgraded boarding work and do I need it?

For reference DH and I both have Performance and Premier cards. Traveling with our 6 kids (7 tickets total) : Seattle to Denver, 2.5 hour layover, Denver to MCO.

We have traveled SW long ago but not since becoming card members.

I have a dumb Southwest question. How does the upgraded boarding work and do I need it?

For reference DH and I both have Performance and Premier cards. Traveling with our 6 kids (7 tickets total) : Seattle to Denver, 2.5 hour layover, Denver to MCO.

We have traveled SW long ago but not since becoming card members.
We used our upgraded boarding credit on our last flight. I just asked the gate agent if there was availability for upgraded boarding. There were only 4 of us, but we were able to get A11-14. I paid the gate agent directly.

Just going through my amex offers and on my gold I have a spend at leaat 12 get 5 back at ispy.com. not sure if you can do just 1 month there or not as I haven't had a chance to look yet.

ETA 1 month is 12 for 5 products worth 50. I then went on and skipped Dec. Once I get my bag I'll go on and stop it. I like these things when they are a bit of a deal like this but don't use enough of the stuff since they don't let you personalize it as much. Will see what I get. Already got the email from amex that I used the deal.

Last edited:
We used our upgraded boarding credit on our last flight. I just asked the gate agent if there was availability for upgraded boarding. There were only 4 of us, but we were able to get A11-14. I paid the gate agent directly.

Would I need to purchase it for both legs of our trip? Since we have a layover?

Just going through my amex offers and on my gold I have a spend at leaat 12 get 5 back at ispy.com. not sure if you can do just 1 month there or not as I haven't had a chance to look yet.

ETA 1 month is 12 for 5 products worth 50. I then went on and skipped Dec. Once I get my bag I'll go on and stop it. I like these things when they are a bit of a deal like this but don't use enough of the stuff since they don't let you personalize it as much. Will see what I get. Already got the email from amex that I used the deal.
I got that offer too. I was thinking about trying it.

Would I need to purchase it for both legs of our trip? Since we have a layover?
Yes, unfortunately, you would need to buy it for each leg, for each person. Since you can't check upgraded boarding availability before arriving at the gate, when you do your 24 hr check-in, you could see if one of those legs is worse than the other and hope there's availability on the worse leg.

I called SWA with this question a few weeks ago: if you have a connecting flight with a single confirmation number, the upgrade covers both. If you have separate confirmations numbers for each, the upgrade would not carry over.
Oh that's interesting, I guess things have changed from when I did it last year. Ok, @mamathompson, now you have two different answers! 🤣

Oh that's interesting, I guess things have changed from when I did it last year. Ok, @mamathompson, now you have two different answers! 🤣
I’m wondering if the agent she spoke with was confusing EBCI with the A1-15 upgrades purchased at the airport. From what I was told by a gate agent in February the airport upgrades just covered the one leg of the flight...EBCI has always covered all legs

I’m wondering if the agent she spoke with was confusing EBCI with the A1-15 upgrades purchased at the airport. From what I was told by a gate agent in February the airport upgrades just covered the one leg of the flight...EBCI has always covered all legs

perhaps......I did specify "upgraded boarding position, NOT EBCI" repeatedly, tho.
I would suggest calling 3 times, & using the majority vote as the answer :)

Last edited:
Questions for anyone who's used CSP at WDW. Do the Disney restaurants all code and qualify for PYB? I've noticed that sometimes my restaurants qualify and sometimes they don't. Wondering about first hand experience with Disney.
I used my CSP in Dec at WDW but it all charged as travel since I had it attached to my magicband.
I called SWA with this question a few weeks ago: if you have a connecting flight with a single confirmation number, the upgrade covers both. If you have separate confirmations numbers for each, the upgrade would not carry over.
I don't doubt that is what you were told, but I don't see how it could possibly work. Upgraded boarding is on a space available basis, on a connecting flight there may be space available on the first leg but not the second. FWIW I've only ever paid for the upgraded boarding on single segment flights.

Do SW biz cards ever offer any type of retention bonus? My AF just posted on my performance biz & while some of the perks would be nice if we actually get to keep our travel plans next year, I don't know that they are worth $199. Also, if planning for CP in 2022/2023, how soon before applying again would I need to cancel this card? My current CP was with both biz cards, but if I keep 1 open, this one would be it.
I’m in the same exact boat. Both SW biz cards used to earn the CP are soon to show the AF.
I think I know the answer but just double checking. If I cancel both of these cards, I still retain the RR, correct?

The $199 AF just hit on my SW business card. It will be due on my next statement, or around December 9. This card gives you 9k SW miles on your one-year anniversary. I was approved for the card on 10/14/19. I checked my SW account, and the miles haven't hit yet.

I've done this before, but have forgotten the timing. I know I waited until after the 9k miles hit to cancel the card. Are those miles likely to hit before I have to pay the AF on December 9? Will I have to pay the AF, then cancel, then get a refund of the AF?

Also, any data points on getting the AF waived on SW cards? I know Chase generally isn't very generous in that area, but I wondered if they might make an exception with SW cards since so few people have been flying and more people are probably wanting to cancel since they aren't really getting a benefit. I'd hang on to the card for free to the upgraded boardings, etc., but I'm not paying for it for another year!
I was approved on the exact same date as you for the SW Perf BIZ. My statement closed today and I see 9k anniversary points on there. They haven't posted to my RR account yet but I'm guessing that's going to happen in a few days.
My statement due date with $199 AF is 12/4. Do you think it's safe now to cancel before the RR show up in my account now that they are showing on my statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter