I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Total newbie in the credit card game, but I want to start catching on and eventually work my way to stardom.

I've literally applied for (or been approved for) zero cards in the last 24 months. I have a BANK OF AMERICA Cash Rewards card (I'm on the Preferred Rewards tier) that I've had for so long I can't even remember when I technically applied for it. Probably 2012?

About me:
  • Almost ALL of my expenses go on the credit card every month. I'm a (non-traveling) consultant, so lots of food/restaurant expenses, plus auto insurance, plus gas. We don't pay for my cell or any cable, so those don't. My typical CC bill in a month varies wildly, but averages probably $1000-$1500
  • I pay off my CC every month in full. ETA: I typically get $35-$50 in cashback each month.
  • I always fly out of STL
  • Southwest services STL, and is my preferred airline
  • I don't have a preferred hotel rewards program. I've only ever used them to transfer points over to Southwest (I used to play hard in Swagbucks and e-rewards but currently don't have time).
  • I'm a Southwest RapidRewards member, but have spent most of my points and currently only have 3,511.
  • Mostly want biggest bang for my buck - like cash back. But would also like to rack up some airline miles so the family can travel more as my girls get older.
  • We're going to Orlando in September, but after that nothing concrete is planned. I'd eventually like to be able to cover 3 US-only round-trips per year.
  • Family consists of me, husband, and two daughters - ages 3 (almost 4) and 1
Welcome to the thread! You're probably going to want to do a little reading before you jump into your first card(s) here. With no cards in the past 24 months you're starting with a clean slate - and the churning world is your oyster so to speak! :D :D There are some great offers out there right now on the Southwest Credit Cards, Chase Ultimate Rewards are also a favorite of our group. I'll reach out with a PM invite to our DISchurners group which has a lot of great info also!

Hi all! Total newbie in the credit card game, but I want to start catching on and eventually work my way to stardom.

I've literally applied for (or been approved for) zero cards in the last 24 months. I have a BANK OF AMERICA Cash Rewards card (I'm on the Preferred Rewards tier) that I've had for so long I can't even remember when I technically applied for it. Probably 2012?

About me:
  • Almost ALL of my expenses go on the credit card every month. I'm a (non-traveling) consultant, so lots of food/restaurant expenses, plus auto insurance, plus gas. We don't pay for my cell or any cable, so those don't. My typical CC bill in a month varies wildly, but averages probably $1000-$1500
  • I pay off my CC every month in full. ETA: I typically get $35-$50 in cashback each month.
  • I always fly out of STL
  • Southwest services STL, and is my preferred airline
  • I don't have a preferred hotel rewards program. I've only ever used them to transfer points over to Southwest (I used to play hard in Swagbucks and e-rewards but currently don't have time).
  • I'm a Southwest RapidRewards member, but have spent most of my points and currently only have 3,511.
  • Mostly want biggest bang for my buck - like cash back. But would also like to rack up some airline miles so the family can travel more as my girls get older.
  • We're going to Orlando in September, but after that nothing concrete is planned. I'd eventually like to be able to cover 3 US-only round-trips per year.
  • Family consists of me, husband, and two daughters - ages 3 (almost 4) and 1
Hi and :welcome:
Most of us start with Chase cards due to their 5/24 rule....which is not an issue for you since you haven’t opened any cards in The last 24 months.

You could apply for a Chase business card with your consulting....the Chase Ink Preferred CIP..has a 80k UR sign up bonus after spending $5k in the first 3 months...you could opened one... then after the spend is finished...send your husband a support link so you would get a 20k bonus and he earns another 80k UR bonus....once the spend is complete on both you would have 190k URs
That can be used to book hotels, flights or cash out.

Since you fly SW those cards could also be valuable to your family as well and right now the SW personal cards are offering a 75k RR bonus after spending $5k in the first 6 months

Tell me...how can I use URs to pay for a cruise? I have the CSP and not looking to get another card at this point.

For our property taxes the town website accepts visa and MasterCard, but not Amex...they also charge 2.5% to use a credit card
@Minnie368 - something to consider here is that many of us are paying small fees to put things on CCs because it helps us hit more MSRs and get more cards. IF you have a high level of natural organic spend you might find this strategy unnecessary, especially if in between MSRs you go back to a simple 1-2% card. It requires some planning with your spending to max everything out. Some other folks will pay these small fees to hit MSRs because they have cards like CF, CIC, BCE, BCP where they can earn 3-5% on everyday purchases in between those MSRs. Lots to consider here :D

Tell me...how can I use URs to pay for a cruise? I have the CSP and not looking to get another card at this point.

UR portal has a section for cruises. u can use the CSP, redeem 1 UR point at 1.25% rate.
alternatively but no ideal, book a cruise anywhere you like while charging it to the CSP, redeem UR points back to statement credit.

edit: or... For cruise information, call us at 1-855-234-2542.

@Minnie368 - something to consider here is that many of us are paying small fees to put things on CCs because it helps us hit more MSRs and get more cards. IF you have a high level of natural organic spend you might find this strategy unnecessary, especially if in between MSRs you go back to a simple 1-2% card. It requires some planning with your spending to max everything out. Some other folks will pay these small fees to hit MSRs because they have cards like CF, CIC, BCE, BCP where they can earn 3-5% on everyday purchases in between those MSRs. Lots to consider here :D
Definitely Agree...I only put our taxes on a cc once when we were hitting a MSR, otherwise for us the fee is more that the value of the points earned

I have paid for my last 4 cruises with UR's. Basically I find the cruise I want (Date/Cruiseline/Ship/Room Category etc). Then I call Chase Cruise Dept and they book it for me. I have the CSR so I get 1.5 times in Value. With the CSP you get 1.25 in value. So, a $3000 cruise cost me 200,000 points. It will cost you 240,000 points. I love using UR's for cruises. Can also use for gratuities if booked with the cruise. You only get 1 chance to use the UR's - usually at booking if you book direct with Chase. Any other questions let me know and I will see if I can answer.

@Albort and @LynnTH - thank you. Investigating cruise options; not sure if we will actually go or pick a different vacation option. What are your favorite cruise lines? Thinking Bahamas, Bermuda or Caribbean.

I have a question about SW priority boarding or A list or whatever...what did I get with my Performance Business Credit Card from Chase? What do you get on the high end ($149 AF) personal card? How do I use it?

I have paid for my last 4 cruises with UR's. Basically I find the cruise I want (Date/Cruiseline/Ship/Room Category etc). Then I call Chase Cruise Dept and they book it for me. I have the CSR so I get 1.5 times in Value. With the CSP you get 1.25 in value. So, a $3000 cruise cost me 200,000 points. It will cost you 240,000 points. I love using UR's for cruises. Can also use for gratuities if booked with the cruise. You only get 1 chance to use the UR's - usually at booking if you book direct with Chase. Any other questions let me know and I will see if I can answer.
I'm waiting for a CIP bonus to post (should be this week) and a CIP referral then I'm planning on booking Symphony of the Seas for Easter week 2021. Should have enough URs to cover a Central Park balcony plus tips. I've been reluctant to cruise anything but DCL, but a cruise on points is helping me think seriously about giving it a shot.

@Albort and @LynnTH - thank you. Investigating cruise options; not sure if we will actually go or pick a different vacation option. What are your favorite cruise lines? Thinking Bahamas, Bermuda or Caribbean.

cant comment much, ive only been on a Princess Cruise haha.
Of course, ppl will always say Disney Cruise but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Depending on who is going, my friend really enjoyed his Bermuda trip on Norwegian. They booked a Haven room so it was very private and adult only area.
Im told that Carnival is on the bottom of the food chain but the prices are the cheapest of all.

I have a question about SW priority boarding or A list or whatever...what did I get with my Performance Business Credit Card from Chase? What do you get on the high end ($149 AF) personal card? How do I use it?
With both of those cards...you are reimbursed for 4 upgraded boarding positions a card year. They are subject to availability and can only be purchased the day of your flight at the airport

I used mine when we flew home from Tampa a few weeks ago and we got A3 and A4. So for that flight there was a ton of availability. I'm also going to see if it's available when we fly to Seattle out of Reagan. Would love to snag exit row seats on one or both of those flights. And ds will be 15 so we can sit in an exit row!

I have a friend that has a referral for the Southwest card. I am strongly considering it for the free 75000, but I have 2 questions. First, if I spend the required $5000, are the reward pts instant or do I have to wait 6 months for them? We hope to go to Disney in June and I think she said Disney's $25 GCs are 3000 pts. I'd like to put the 75000 to use buying Disney GC. Is there a limit on how many you get order at a time?

I have a friend that has a referral for the Southwest card. I am strongly considering it for the free 75000, but I have 2 questions. First, if I spend the required $5000, are the reward pts instant or do I have to wait 6 months for them? We hope to go to Disney in June and I think she said Disney's $25 GCs are 3000 pts. I'd like to put the 75000 to use buying Disney GC. Is there a limit on how many you get order at a time?

The points will generally post a day after your statement closes that you have exceeded the MSR on. I do not know anything about using the points for GC's tho.

On the first question, once you've spent $5,000 and your statement closes, they post within a few days. So if you spend $5,000 in the first month and it hits before the statement closes, you should have your points shortly after the statement closes. I use RR points for plane tickets so can't comment on the second question.

The points will generally post a day after your statement closes that you have exceeded the MSR on. I do not know anything about using the points for GC's tho.
On the first question, once you've spent $5,000 and your statement closes, they post within a few days. So if you spend $5,000 in the first month and it hits before the statement closes, you should have your points shortly after the statement closes. I use RR points for plane tickets so can't comment on the second question.
Thanks!!

With both of those cards...you are reimbursed for 4 upgraded boarding positions a card year. They are subject to availability and can only be purchased the day of your flight at the airport
So all I have to do is purchase them on my card at the airport? There's nothing like automatic earlybird or whatever it's called?

cant comment much, ive only been on a Princess Cruise haha.
Of course, ppl will always say Disney Cruise but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Depending on who is going, my friend really enjoyed his Bermuda trip on Norwegian. They booked a Haven room so it was very private and adult only area.
Im told that Carnival is on the bottom of the food chain but the prices are the cheapest of all.

We sail mostly on Carnival and love it. Kids are now 20 and 18 but have been cruising since they were 8 and 6. Have also been on RCCL and NCL (long time ago). I really think they are all very similar in ways. We have had no issues with Carnival at all and kids prefer we cruise them. (and normally cheaper but not always - depends on the ship and time of year)

Going on RCCL Oasis this December but was considering changing to Carnivals New Ship Mardi Gras. Not sure yet.

There are so many options and sometimes we cruise for the ship - other times we cruise for the ports. (and sometimes we cruise for whatever is cheapest) All depends on what you are looking for. If you have a specific time frame in mind - I usually go to cruisesonly dot com and input my criteria. It will then list all the different ships and itineraries that is available - then I start researching...

I'm waiting for a CIP bonus to post (should be this week) and a CIP referral then I'm planning on booking Symphony of the Seas for Easter week 2021. Should have enough URs to cover a Central Park balcony plus tips. I've been reluctant to cruise anything but DCL, but a cruise on points is helping me think seriously about giving it a shot.

We have never cruised DCL. Too expensive. I can go on 2-3 cruises on another line for the same price and we have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter