I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also seeking some hotel advice---has anyone stayed at the Hyatt House Lake Buena Vista?

We need one night (March 13) before our on-site stay, after dh visits clients in the Jacksonville area. I'd love to stay in the Disney Springs area but (1) I don't want to pay a resort fee and (2) I don't want to pay a parking fee :laughing:

Not Disney Springs area but I stayed in a Residence Inn, in Jacksonville. It is just south of 295, off 95 south in Bartram Park and is a newish area, the hotel is only 2 years old and was very comfortable with the standard free breakfast and coffee 24 hours. I only paid 10K points but your night is just 15k. (January is less expensive.) It's a very easy ride from there, easy to get to Disney before noon, after the 7am breakfast. There are also some eating places in the immediate area. I'm booked there for the night before my February trip also.

Does anyone know when historically SW and JetBlue open flights for Nov? Just curious how long I have to get my points together.

RE: Bank bonuses, PNC has had a $300 bonus available consistently for well over a year now. DoC pointed out an article about changing views within PNC that might signal an end to this easy, churnable bonus.

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/pnc-learns-the-downside-of-paying-cash-bonuses-to-new-customers
The offer is still up through 3/31 but I expect at some point this year to see a change - either in the requirements to earn or the incentive itself.

Here is DoCs write up for the bonus:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/pnc-up-to-300-checking-bonus-no-state-restriction/

Wow. I just totaled up the possible cost of our Nov. trip. Coming in as planned it would run between 10-11,000. That is insane! No way we would spend that much out of pocket. So far I have plans/points in place to cover flight, Universal tickets and rental car. I need to get more URs to help with Universal tickets and maybe even cash out some for discounted Disney gift cards. Hoping to keep this trip around $5000 out of pocket but of course the lower the better.
Wonder if Dh is up for a CIU?

This does not include the money I will spend on things like Fish extenders/gifts/pirate costumes, etc.

One of my all time favorite movie quotes. I love that someone else still remembers it.
Ha, I quote it often. Automobilllleee? And a couple others I can't type here :-)
Dog movies, big fat no for me!!! Not a chance in hades. I used to sob watching Benji as a kid. The one exception is Eight Below. I bawl my head off, but for some reason, the beauty of it, overrides it. But I haven't watched it since Paul Walker died, and that triggers about the same reaction as dog movies for me.
We had a golden and I have not watched an Air Bud movie since, even though those are fluff.
After this Cap One discussion, I am feeling very grateful for P2's instant approval with an absurd credit line last week, for his 2nd Venture card.

I have a bit a FOMO regarding the Delta Gold $0AF. DH has the Citi AA Biz coming, we are good on MSR for the moment. But I’m at 0/24 wondering if I should pull the trigger on the Delta Gold for myself, $2K MSR, we don’t need Skypesos. I like that the AF is waived + I was able to take advantage of the Delta Vacation promo making good use of Skypesos.

I will need 20k AA miles in June. AA history: Barclay Biz 6/18, Citi Biz 9/19. Should I got for Barclay Aviator? 60k miles + $99 AF Don’t really want to pay the AF
OR
Citi Aadvantage - 50k miles, $0 AF, $2,500 MSR.
Or Delta Gold

Question about Chase SW cards. DH last got the SUB for a personal and a business card in 2017. I was thinking of having him wait until next year to do them again because I have the CP through the end of this year and I usually like us to alternate. However the 75,000 is so tempting it's hard to pass up. I see for now referral link shows the offer is good through 2/18. DH got the CO Venture in Oct 2019 and CIP just approved last week 1/17/20. Nothing else since the two SW cards in 2017. Any thoughts on him applying for at least one of these by 2/18 or are we playing with fire? DH and I bought APs to WDW this year since we were going early January and again in March, so would love to go another time or two this year but need more RR points.
Yes I was planning to get the CIP next. I was just going to wait two more months because I had a personal Chase app last month. I don't know... not worried about the MSR on multiple cards because we have a lot of big things coming up in the next couple months, but just want to make sure we don't over do it too much with the apps too close together.

Yes it is closed. If he does decide to go for one, is it better to do the business or personal? He could do the other later this year to get the CP for remainder of this year and next year. We really don't need him to get CP this year, just want the RR.
You’re getting caught up in FOMO + new churner excitement. This happens to a lot of us but in truth, you each just got a new card and you’re setup for another Chase card in 6-ish weeks (if I remember correctly). If you snag one of those SW personal cards, you’re locking yourself out of a 2nd one via MDD for 24+ months. You’re also rushing the pacing on just his 2nd card coming out of the gate. You should do what you feel is best, but personally I would wait and settle into a rhythm before jumping in that deep. These SW offers aren’t even as good as the CIP offer and that one SW card alone won’t get you a renewed CP.

I have no idea what bonus I signed up for with my Marriott AA biz, but I got 12000 bonus Marriott points credited for it! That was a nice surprise. I vaguely remember clicking for the bonus months ago, but I don't remember what the terms were.
edited to add: I went and reread the email, looks like it was a holiday spend bonus.

I don't do dog movies, they always end sadly and I'm a crier.

Last edited:
Looking forward to Call of the Wild.
I've seen the previews twice, and I just can't get past the CGI animals :(
Not Disney Springs area but I stayed in a Residence Inn, in Jacksonville. It is just south of 295, off 95 south in Bartram Park and is a newish area, the hotel is only 2 years old and was very comfortable with the standard free breakfast and coffee 24 hours. I only paid 10K points but your night is just 15k. (January is less expensive.) It's a very easy ride from there, easy to get to Disney before noon, after the 7am breakfast. There are also some eating places in the immediate area. I'm booked there for the night before my February trip also.
Thank you! I've put that on my short list---we 're going to decide later this week after dh confirms times with his clients.

You’re getting caught up in FOMO + new churner excitement. This happens to a lot of us but in truth, you each just got a new card and you’re setup for another Chase card in 6-ish weeks (if I remember correctly). If you snag one of those SW personal cards, you’re locking yourself out of a 2nd one via MDD for 24+ months. You’re also rushing the pacing on just his 2nd card coming out of the gate. You should do what you feel is best, but personally I would wait and settle into a rhythm before jumping in that deep. These SW offers aren’t even as good as the CIP offer and that one SW card alone won’t get you a renewed CP.
Yes I'm definitely feeling impatient. Can you tell me how the MDD works? I've seen that mentioned several times and I know what it stands for, but I don't know what it is.

There is a discussion on r/churning about being able to convert your IHG free night cert to 70k points.

This is not my area of expertise so I’ll just put it here for your review. The basic gist is to call in (soon) and try to book a property that apparently won’t work online due to some glitch. They’ll give you the points and book it using those. Then you callback later and cancel. Who knows how long this will last...

just to make it clear, it seems like IHG deactivated the uncapped Free Night Certificate, so basically you wont be able to make any bookings with it. To make up for this, they will give u 70k points for it.
this will not work on the capped 40k version.
this appears to be a glitch. we do not know if this will work tomorrow, so if ur more interested in the 70k points, call asap.

A huge thank you to both of you! I had one last unrestricted certificate set to expire in March with no travel plans. I called customer service, was bounced around a few times and ultimately transferred to IHG reservations. I requested to book a night at a 70k hotel with dates I knew were available based on a web search. I was put on hold a few times and they finally added 70K points to my account and the rep then made the booking. I plan to cancel in a few days and hopefully the points don't expire with the original certificate date and will be available for future trips.

Yes I'm definitely feeling impatient. Can you tell me how the MDD works? I've seen that mentioned several times and I know what it stands for, but I don't know what it is.
MDD is Modified Double Dip. It's a way to get 2 cards that otherwise have a restriction saying you can only get one. There's some info out there on DISchurners about it. This is an advanced strategy that we don't discuss openly in full detail here on the DIS thread to protect the innocent, 🤣 🤣 🤣

Something else to keep in mind, If Chase is going to be part of your long-term churning strategy, then you each can only plan to get 5-8 cards across a 12 month span (with only 4-5 of them being Chase). The vast majority of our group here are slow to moderate churners. We play it safe in hopes to be playing the game 4, 5, 6 years from now.

Another strategy that is not commonly employed in our group is to just burn all the bridges... Hammer Chase as quickly as you can...6 or 7 cards in 6 months...who cares if I'm shutdown...and then move on from them and never look back. Then hit Amex until you face the popup restriction. But it seems like some of those folks then just fall away from the game because it becomes too hard to get a new card. I'm sure there's people also playing in the middle of those two roads. At any rate, just food for thought.

She is the kid who is okay with other scary movies (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park) but a dog or other animal in peril is her undoing.

Tell her I can relate---I won't watch 101 Dalmatians Lady and the Tramp because I always worry that the sweet English bulldog would get stuck in the tunnel they dig out of the pound. So not animated L&T for me, no Tony's, etc. I just worry too much about him 😆

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts