• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to have your dates nailed down when the booking window opens for 2021 and you should get the flights you want on miles. The cash price is insane. Lucky baby will get to fly in business class at such a young age!
See that’s the problem, I have no idea about dates. I feel like our summer will be wide open and we could go anytime may-August. I don’t actually have AA miles but was looking at that as an alternative to chase. I haven’t even looked on the chase portal yet. I also haven’t decided about getting the baby its own seat. It’s safer and would give me more room but it is another seat to pay for

Do you think flying into LGW would be bad? I have no idea. I looked it up and it said 30 minutes by train. Obviously with a one year old that wouldn’t be ideal but it might be better than a layover somewhere.

I wish we had more Amex points. Dh will get 20k from his BBP that we’re working on now. I’m not sure if we can join points like you can with chase. Do you think it’s realistic to get enough Amex points by next summer to book? If so, we could switch gears to them

I agree with pp that LGW is fine-Heathrow is out of the city too-just in a different direction.
I don't think, unless you pull a 125K personal plus a 100K biz that it would be realistic to have enough MRs to book next summer. I think you should stay the course BUT start diversifying and adding to your MR stash so when you need them you'll have them.

Dh likes trains that’s why I thought taking the train would be fun. Is it a pretty long ride?

Again as @GZanta77 said, it's about 5 hours ish. The nice part is Waverly station is right in the middle of Edinburgh and easy to catch a cab, or if you stay at the fancy Balmoral, walk to the hotel. Trains are nice because you can get up and use the restroom anytime and you can generally move around more freely. You also won't have to worry about pressure and baby's ears on the train (v flying which may or may not be an issue). Every single mile of the ride will be gorgeous once you hit Scotland, too (I kid, but as you know I'm biased 🤣 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿).

Thank you. Not sure how the paralegal is doing. He was hurt pretty badly -- according to dh he's still in the hospital. I am worried that he might try to sue us, even though it was clearly his fault. He had 3 charges laid against him: using a phone while driving, illegal u-turn and cutting across 2 live lanes of traffic in an unsafe manner. Obviously his fault, but it might not stop him from suing.
That's why we carry an umbrella policy in addition to our homeowners and auto policies. You said he was on business, is there any extra coverage there?

Obviously his fault, but it might not stop him from suing.

One of my college roommate's father was a state judge (she had state judge's license plates on her car and we never got stopped for speeding!). Anyway, he always said "any idiot who has $5 and can make an X can sue, doesn't mean he'll win." So while I completely understand your concern, I hope you don't worry too much. Thoughts and prayers for your family and the paralegal.

I agree with pp that LGW is fine-Heathrow is out of the city too-just in a different direction.
I don't think, unless you pull a 125K personal plus a 100K biz that it would be realistic to have enough MRs to book next summer. I think you should stay the course BUT start diversifying and adding to your MR stash so when you need them you'll have them.

Again as @GZanta77 said, it's about 5 hours ish. The nice part is Waverly station is right in the middle of Edinburgh and easy to catch a cab, or if you stay at the fancy Balmoral, walk to the hotel. Trains are nice because you can get up and use the restroom anytime and you can generally move around more freely. You also won't have to worry about pressure and baby's ears on the train (v flying which may or may not be an issue). Every single mile of the ride will be gorgeous once you hit Scotland, too (I kid, but as you know I'm biased 🤣 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿).
I just looked at flights on the chase portal for a week next August for 2 adults and a child (pretending we’re buying the baby a seat). For business class on AA nonstop flights out of MCO it would be 770k points. That’s under a year from now so obviously that plays a part in it being pretty high but it’s still very high. If the baby didn’t have a seat it would be 2/3 of that. I’m just trying to get a general idea so I’m thinking that would be the worst case scenario and hoping we would get something better than that.

I think the train sounds fun! We loved riding them in Japan even though I know that’s a different experience

Any tips on MRs for London? It's on our short list and hotels for 4 are SO EXPENSIVE!

Oh they're crazy expensive in London and more so for "family rooms." That said, I've found Marriott and HIlton both at least HAVE rooms for four, whereas a lot of other properties do not. Another thought would be a B&B with a "family room" although often they have 3. Europe as a whole is not quite as family friendly IN HOTELS as we are accustomed to here, in my experience.

Oh they're crazy expensive in London and more so for "family rooms." That said, I've found Marriott and HIlton both at least HAVE rooms for four, whereas a lot of other properties do not. Another thought would be a B&B with a "family room" although often they have 3. Europe as a whole is not quite as family friendly IN HOTELS as we are accustomed to here, in my experience.
Have you done any Airbnb’s there?

Have you done any Airbnb’s there?

Truly, I have not. Once I was tempted but then read the T&Cs and freaked out-didn't want the potential liability, if I remember correctly. So in London DD and I stayed at the Lime Tree Inn which is a small hotel and in St Andrews at the Albany Hotel, which is also a small, lovely hotel with a horrible breakfast :rotfl: With a baby, b&bs would be a great idea, though.

Truly, I have not. Once I was tempted but then read the T&Cs and freaked out-didn't want the potential liability, if I remember correctly. So in London DD and I stayed at the Lime Tree Inn which is a small hotel and in St Andrews at the Albany Hotel, which is also a small, lovely hotel with a horrible breakfast :rotfl: With a baby, b&bs would be a great idea, though.
We loved our Airbnb in Japan so that’s why I asked. I’ll keep it as an option just in case.

I’m thinking our flight options will be premium economy if baby has a seat or business if baby will sit on our laps

See that’s the problem, I have no idea about dates. I feel like our summer will be wide open and we could go anytime may-August. I don’t actually have AA miles but was looking at that as an alternative to chase. I haven’t even looked on the chase portal yet. I also haven’t decided about getting the baby its own seat. It’s safer and would give me more room but it is another seat to pay for
I would highly suggest getting the baby it’s own seat. DGD was almost 2 when I started taking her to WDW. It is safer for them to have their own seat, also babies are accustomed to traveling in their car seat and fuss less. DGD often fell asleep very shortly after take off. Be aware that the seat will need to be FAA approved (it will have a sticker on it). I would also be aware of the difference in comfort levels between different car seats. Almost 7yo DGD still wants her car seat for long drives and on the airplane. Her Nextfit is really comfy but a beast to carry in and out of the planes. I think it might be going to HI with us, but her parents are along to deal with it.

This worked really well to transport through the airport.

https://www.amazon.com/Britax-Seat-...refix=Britaix+car+seat+carrier,aps,766&sr=8-4
I also had pretty good luck strapping her car seat to her stroller and then gate checking the stroller.

My husband got the 60,000 offer in the mail but I’m hesitant to have him apply based on my experience. I applied and was denied for too many inquiries. I only have one hard pull on my accounts according to credit karma and I’m 3/24. My credit score is in the 800’s with 1% utilization. Never missed a payment etc. I have never been denied for a credit card so I was shocked when it happened to me. I have read that sometimes Capital One will deny those with excellent credit scores and excellent credit history. It seems weird that my husband would be targeted as he is 4/24 (soon to be 2/24) though. The only other thing different between us that I can think of is that I am a stay at home mom so even though I wrote his income as the household income the application does ask what your job is. Not sure if this was a factor but wanted to include it just in case.
DH and I both have excellent credit and have never carried a balance on any card and were both approved for Capital One Venture in the past couple of years. (me 4/18, him 10/18)
ive read that if you have above 760 and haven't carried a balance in the last year you are denied.
Thanks for the input. I know I'd read that they like when you carry a balance, but it's not a hard rule as @georgina points out. Guess I'll have to think about it if I want to take the chance on a wasted pull.

Received all the gift cards from the BJs deal. Those 3pk $50 were hard to scratch off. All entered into DGC site and combined 100 emails later. :rotfl2:
Just did the same with my order....I found it easy to peeling off the strip
Ohhhhh I really hope I have the easy peel ones! I will start with the $500s from the CF x5 and try to use one of them to peel the rest 🤣

I'm so excited and have to share it somewhere where people will understand and keep my secret! I think for DD's 12th birthday in February, we're going to have a Mother-Daughter trip to WDW. The plan is to fly down on Frontier Thursday and return on Sunday afternoon. I don't plan on buying park tickets but have been strongly considering (99% sure) that we'll buy Disney After Dark tickets for Friday night. I hope to return as a family this summer, and I want to keep my military ticket options for that trip.

Is it still possible to get good deals for WDW hotels on Priceline? I want to use Magical Express and possibly the dining plan.

Otherwise, I could use our timeshare points and rent a car or use my HHonors points or free certificates.

Thank you. Not sure how the paralegal is doing. He was hurt pretty badly -- according to dh he's still in the hospital. I am worried that he might try to sue us, even though it was clearly his fault. He had 3 charges laid against him: using a phone while driving, illegal u-turn and cutting across 2 live lanes of traffic in an unsafe manner. Obviously his fault, but it might not stop him from suing.
So scary I’m glad he’s ok!! What kind of car was DH driving? I wouldn’t worry too much about him suing doesn’t sound like he’d have much of a case.
While I am not totally writing of a Gold card right now, but we have a personal Gold that fits our needs in these categories. I would really only be getting it for the bonus/referral points.
Yes the personal gold is a great card - a keeper for me. If you intend to keep up a lot of spending on AMEX then go for the gold biz. BUT if you aren’t canceling that card and low spend will likely get you in there naughty list. Def weigh out upgrading it to a biz plat (after doing the 100k call in offer) if you go for it
@Judique - I’m sorry your DD lost her earrings but honestly in a four person mva with critically injured patients I can only imagine the chaos and perhaps (trying to believe the best of humanity), they got lost in that chaos. I don’t know if you’ve seen a trauma bay after the patient is stabilized and moved on but they can look like a tornado hit. Just a thought...
I agree with this too. I work in the medical field and I can’t tell you how many times wedding rings, dentures, wallets and the like get lost. Of course there are unsavory people everywhere but many times there are so many hands in the pot things are just truly misplaced. I think it’s sweet you are looking to replace them!

That's why we carry an umbrella policy in addition to our homeowners and auto policies. You said he was on business, is there any extra coverage there?
No umbrella liability coverage in Toronto unfortunately. I have $5M in Florida though. I am pretty sure his company owns all the cars in Toronto, good point. Not sure if the paralegal would go after his company as he has a very good lawyer on retainer that would likely shut him down very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter