I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How frustrating for you...
Thanks..I wasn’t given an exact date just 7-10 days...they seem to be cancelling a lot of fights...the day of, ..this may have been happening all along...but just aware of it since it happened to me on Sunday and my DD on Monday....
yeah they cancelled my flight in march for april then the night before we saw it was delayed. they didn't want to give anything for the mechanical but then after the flight attendants behavior and the delay they gave us $100 each. I took that as its better than nothing and the original flight in april was $180 so not too bad. What stinks is that I have travel funds for each of us for $20 and can't use it since they expire in november and we are flying in december

sw premiere or sw priority which one is a better deal they are both 60k bonus
Do you have a use for the $75 credit and 4 upgradesd boardings? If so, Priority is easily better. Any reason you are not considering Plus? It’s somewhat rare to see somebody comparing priority vs premier IMO (unless no foreign transaction fees means something to you).

Do you have a use for the $75 credit and 4 upgradesd boardings? If so, Priority is easily better. Any reason you are not considering Plus? It’s somewhat rare to see somebody comparing priority vs premier IMO (unless no foreign transaction fees means something to you).
plus has a 3k bonus vs 6k or 7500.
eta just paid for flights but i can always cancel and rebook if its the same price to use the credit

Has anyone done Yellowstone? Lookin for tips and suggestions!

First tip: GO!

Is this next June you are looking at or this month? Not gonna lie, if it’s this month, it’s going to be tough to get what you want. Personally, I would not stay outside the park if I could help it. Yellowstone is huge.

We went almost two years ago. I started planning in January for an August trip, and eventually got every hotel/night I wanted, although at times I was triple booked. You do have to pay a refundable one night deposit, but I kept everything I had until I got the configuration I wanted. The reservationists there can read back e erything you have booked; I had them do that once I had cancelled my extra nights to be sure I didn’t miss any.

One tip that I’m not sure is still working, but it was a great discovery: on the booking website, there used to be two ways to check for availability. I seem to remember one as being in the top right corner, and the other midpage. Maybe that was by hotel? In any case, I obsessively checked the website. One day, I happened to check before I cancelled a room, and then checked the same room category immediately after. My released room was only showing on one of the ways to book. Sorry I can’t be more precise than that, because I don’t remember, but if this trick still works, you’ll be able to quickly figure out which way shows the inventory quicker. It’s important, because inventory changes rapidly.

Second tip: start early. I think we were out and about by seven, and often had a few places to ourselves. Later in the day, things get incredibly crowded. I think we probably saw more in three hours most days than others saw all day.

Also, they don’t recommend driving in the park at night, (those bison are no joke!) so staying in the park will definitely let you explore more.

Highly, highly, highly recommend rooms in the Old House at Yellowstone lodge. No bathrooms, which is why I only booked one night, but I really regretted not booking two nights. They are on the small side, so I’m not sure they’d work for your party....unless you booked two. I would not pay extra for any room with a view of Old Faithful. Had one booked, but let it go, on advice from Tripadvisor. It’s easy to see Old Faithful.

Besides the Old House, we stayed in the Snow Lodge Cabins (hated it. Dirty, stained carpet. Maybe they’ve redone them by now. Location was good and size was great, but yuck on the carpet. We were refunded part of our money because they were unable to move us.). Cabins at the Canyon lodge area, on the other hand, were great. The lodges all looked newer, but they were a lot more expensive than the cabins. Also stayed at mammoth, which was fine. An older hotel. They had just finished redoing the public areas, which were all shiny and new, but to me, the newness just seemed to suck some of the charm and soul out of an older property. We didn’t stay at the Lake hotel, but we poked around there, and it looked lovely. Can’t comment on Grant Village. We didn’t see it, and it’s a little out of the main loop, but as someone upthread said, it seems they often have availability. That’s where I had booked my entire stay a bit at a time, at first, and it would have been our fall back had we not secured our other rooms.

Last tip, for now: pack an ice scraper. Even in August. Or June.

This was long, but pm me if you want even more details. Yellowstone is a majestic place!

Would you be comfortable with an Uber? It will be just me and ds12. I think that sounds better than walking through a sketchy area. I may go with one of the Hiltons, since we'll be earning a zillion of those points at WDW. Do you have a preference between the Parc 55 and the Union Square Hilton?

I would be totally comfortable riding an Uber or Lyft with my DD in the city, and actually have when my car was in the shop. Ubers are ridiculously plentiful in San Francisco, and you shouldn't have to wait too long for an Uber X ride. From either the Parc 55 or the Hilton Union Square, it's pretty much a 6-8 minute ride straight west on Ellis and down Hyde, then you're at the Orpheum. The ride back to either hotel is a little more complicated because of all the weird traffic signals/signs and dedicated lanes around mid-Market. Both hotels are close together, so I don't think it makes much of a difference logistically. The Hilton is a large convention hotel on a very bustling stretch of O'Farrell Street. The Parc 55 is smaller, located kind of on a side street, but closer to Market Street so it's slightly more walkable to the cable car turnaround on Powell, the Westfield mall and other shopping on Market. I haven't stayed at either, so I can't opine on the rooms personally.

How are you getting to San Francisco? Driving? Flying?

Currently have Bellagio booked for $50/night 11/3-11/6. We're not opposed to staying and extra day before or after and could use Hilton/Marriott/IHG rewards or hopefully I could earn a free night with the My Vegas app games by then.

How did you get Bellagio for $50 a night? That seems like a sweet deal!

DH is the proud owner of a SW priority card! I did ask before applying and did let him know he was approved :-) now if theres a way to get it here asap I can cancel my flights I booked this morning and book them again. the credit doesn't say its for fares only so I can use it towards taxes and fees right?

Does anyone have a car service they use in LA/Disneyland?

I emailed one needing a ride from San Pedro Cruise Terminal to my DL Hotel with a short grocery store stop. They would send me a Suburban with a minimum of 3 hours for $345. For 31 miles and less than an hour drive? Uhm, no thank you.

I've been watching Lyft the last few weekends and they want $80+ for the time I need and it's an hour wait, so if I can hire a service for around $100-$150 it would be worth it to me.

DH is the proud owner of a SW priority card! I did ask before applying and did let him know he was approved :-) now if theres a way to get it here asap I can cancel my flights I booked this morning and book them again. the credit doesn't say its for fares only so I can use it towards taxes and fees right?
Yep, use it for taxes, drinks, fares, etc.

First tip: GO!

Is this next June you are looking at or this month? Not gonna lie, if it’s this month, it’s going to be tough to get what you want. Personally, I would not stay outside the park if I could help it. Yellowstone is huge.

We went almost two years ago. I started planning in January for an August trip, and eventually got every hotel/night I wanted, although at times I was triple booked. You do have to pay a refundable one night deposit, but I kept everything I had until I got the configuration I wanted. The reservationists there can read back e erything you have booked; I had them do that once I had cancelled my extra nights to be sure I didn’t miss any.

One tip that I’m not sure is still working, but it was a great discovery: on the booking website, there used to be two ways to check for availability. I seem to remember one as being in the top right corner, and the other midpage. Maybe that was by hotel? In any case, I obsessively checked the website. One day, I happened to check before I cancelled a room, and then checked the same room category immediately after. My released room was only showing on one of the ways to book. Sorry I can’t be more precise than that, because I don’t remember, but if this trick still works, you’ll be able to quickly figure out which way shows the inventory quicker. It’s important, because inventory changes rapidly.

Second tip: start early. I think we were out and about by seven, and often had a few places to ourselves. Later in the day, things get incredibly crowded. I think we probably saw more in three hours most days than others saw all day.

Also, they don’t recommend driving in the park at night, (those bison are no joke!) so staying in the park will definitely let you explore more.

Highly, highly, highly recommend rooms in the Old House at Yellowstone lodge. No bathrooms, which is why I only booked one night, but I really regretted not booking two nights. They are on the small side, so I’m not sure they’d work for your party....unless you booked two. I would not pay extra for any room with a view of Old Faithful. Had one booked, but let it go, on advice from Tripadvisor. It’s easy to see Old Faithful.

Besides the Old House, we stayed in the Snow Lodge Cabins (hated it. Dirty, stained carpet. Maybe they’ve redone them by now. Location was good and size was great, but yuck on the carpet. We were refunded part of our money because they were unable to move us.). Cabins at the Canyon lodge area, on the other hand, were great. The lodges all looked newer, but they were a lot more expensive than the cabins. Also stayed at mammoth, which was fine. An older hotel. They had just finished redoing the public areas, which were all shiny and new, but to me, the newness just seemed to suck some of the charm and soul out of an older property. We didn’t stay at the Lake hotel, but we poked around there, and it looked lovely. Can’t comment on Grant Village. We didn’t see it, and it’s a little out of the main loop, but as someone upthread said, it seems they often have availability. That’s where I had booked my entire stay a bit at a time, at first, and it would have been our fall back had we not secured our other rooms.

Last tip, for now: pack an ice scraper. Even in August. Or June.

This was long, but pm me if you want even more details. Yellowstone is a majestic place!

thanks! im a rather late planner so sorta didnt have a choice in the hotel matter haha. i was able to snag 2 hotels within the parks, it was just super expensive though. i hope its worth it. On day 2, after checking out teton NP, i had plans to drive up to North Yellowstone and go down after that. Canyons, then a stay by the Canyons, then down to Old Faithful where i found a room there... then our exit would be through west yellowstone(staying one night) before heading down south to SLC.

pack an ice scraper? i thought thats why we bring our Amex Platinum cards! ;)

Congrats.... party: yes it works towards the $5.60 fee..

Wow I was gone all day and I'm 10 pages behind! Slow down everyone, I can't keep up! :rotfl:

After casually suggesting the Park Hyatt Kyoto that's set to open Autumn 2019 (likely December 1) to @ten6mom yesterday, I dug up an article published on OMAAT a few days ago: Park Hyatt Kyoto Now Accepting Reservations.

The Park Hyatt Kyoto is going to be a Cat 7, 30k/night hotel. However, I couldn't pull up award availability as of yesterday, but Lucky notes: "It looks like the hotel isn’t yet accepting points reservations, though that should change shortly. That’s probably because the hotel has just become bookable within the past few hours [on May 30]."

After searching about this property a little more, I found this in the press release:

And this FT thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1801359-park-hyatt-kyoto-announced.html

It sounds like the Park Hyatt Kyoto is going to be pretty small, as hotels go, with only 70 guest rooms including 9 suites. And it looks like it's situated at the foot of the hills in the Higashiyama District of eastern Kyoto. We stayed at the Westin Miyako Kyoto a few years ago that looks to be on the other side of the hill from the new Park Hyatt Kyoto, and if memory serves this is an very walkable and deeply historic area of Kyoto with amazing views of the city and surrounding hills/mountains. I imagine it'll be beautiful in the spring and fall.

For 30k Hyatt points a night, this redemption is a tremendous value considering room rates are running ~$800-$900 (~3 cpp). I think the fear on FT is Hyatt will realize this and bump it up to Cat 8 eventually.

It's now on my bucket list (probably replacing the Bonvoyed Ritz-Carlton Kyoto)! I just need to find the time.

Did you check for a room for 3 people? I'm asking because the thing I hate about PHs is that you can only book the lowest category room they have, and the ones overseas never allow 3 to a room. We stayed at the PH Paris with DD and had to find a different way to book that room (basically a sale room and then used points to upgrade) since I couldn't get a room for 3 on points. At the time I thought it was just Paris, but have since noticed the issue at every PH I've checked. It's one of the reasons we splurged on the PH NY - DD wasn't staying with us. I find this really annoying since going forward I'd like to book things and give her the option of joining us if she is able to.

TLDR: Try looking for a room for 2 and see if that works. If so, the issue is looking for 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter