I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you’re just sitting on that?!
I know it's terrible, but I've been able to pull it up consistently for months from DH. I should really just grab that and a Gold for DH today and stop second guessing. We should be able to do the spend and the Gold would be better long term (at least for the year) to get regular spend on to hopefully keep amex happy. Not sure the Plat is a keeper unless they open this darn Centurion lounge here (maybe in the next 9 days? 2019? :rotfl: ) no matter what @tink1970 says... :tongue:

Yoyo dieter here. I have great discipline skills with everything except food. I love food. Sigh ...

Unfortunately we have evolved to love food. Understanding about sugar and dopamine and insulin has helped me see that for me, it's not so much about eating less but about making better choices (like eggs instead of pop tarts!). Of course, I like pop tarts more than eggs but I like eggs well enough to be okay eating them instead of the pop tarts.

Speaking of See’s Candies, I have to admit I’m a bit bougie when it comes to chocolate and prefer local artisan chocolatiers like Tcho, Dandelion, and Recchiuti. Although I won’t ever turn down a good old Snickers bar. I was never big on See’s Candies; I refer to it as old timey chocolate. But my DD’s school does See’s Candies fundraisers every year and we always end up buying a ton. This year, we bought some gift certificates instead. That worked out because my SIL had a particular See’s Candies chocolate on her Christmas wish list. Instead of handing her a gift certificate, I thought it’d be nice if I went to a See’s Candies store and just redeemed the certificate for the chocolates she wants. Yeah, 5 days before Christmas. Swung by lunchtime yesterday and boy was that a mistake! I spent 20 minutes in line for old timey chocolate! I’ve waited in shorter lines for In-N-Out!
We don’t have local artisan chocolatiers 😢

But now I’m 99% sure I’m doing Sat before Xmas lunch lines at In N Out because it’s 7am I’m ready for a cheeseburger 🤣

ETA: lol. See’s Candies rookie mistake.

I know it's terrible, but I've been able to pull it up consistently for months from DH. I should really just grab that and a Gold for DH today and stop second guessing. We should be able to do the spend and the Gold would be better long term (at least for the year) to get regular spend on to hopefully keep amex happy. Not sure the Plat is a keeper unless they open this darn Centurion lounge here (maybe in the next 9 days? 2019? :rotfl: ) no matter what @tink1970 says... :tongue:

Tink says let Zack have his PLAT...because he's worth it. You know they'll open the DEN Centurion Lounge as soon as you close it so do you really want that guilt on your head? No, no you do not!

Off topic (not credit card and not even Disney 😳). We're headed to Orlando after New Years for 4 nights to meet up with SIL and her family and friends of ours. We're staying at Hyatt Grand Cypress (on points so maybe that keeps it on topic a bit more) and doing one night at Universal Portofino to take advantage of express pass for our 2 park days.

We'll be in the parks Jan 3 and 4 and they are going to be nuts. Any tips or advice on how to manage the crowds and navigate and make best use of express pass? I've only done Universal twice and this is our first time with express pass. I love that I don't have to pre book things but I also feel like I'm going in blind.

We'll be with kids ranging from 8-14. They like thrill rides. We'll try to get to park pre opening on the 4th to get in line for Hagrid's Motorbike (since we can walk over from hotel that day). Any other ride tips or must do items?

For food, there will be 12 of us, any tips for eating dinner together?

Joining in the off-topic medical posts to ask if anyone here has researched the current shingles vaccine. DH and I are now old enough to be in the recommended age group, and I am seriously considering it. I am in general a very pro-vaxxer but I seem to recall some issues with the effectiveness of the previous shingles vaccine and maybe of this one too. I'm leaning toward getting it because shingles scares me more than a (possibly ineffective) vaccine but I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of you lovely people here.

Also, someone earlier today mentioned eggs and cholesterol. I did a lot of reading about eggs a few years ago when DH and I got serious about cutting carbs, and what I read convinced me that eggs really do not raise cholesterol. I'd also be interested in thoughts about that, too, even though I usually don't eat a lot of eggs.

Shingrix has a high efficacy rate, I'm all for it. Shingles can be horrible and have long lasting effects for some people. I work in a family practice office and haven't personally seen anyone have any issues with it except the normal local reactions. It is very popular though and the manufacturer doesn't send very many at one time, we can't keep it in stock. Generally refer people to the pharmacy to get it.

Phew, just got caught up. Hadn't been on since Thursday since I've been super busy with both work and trying to get Christmas stuff together. Stopped by WM yesterday to load Serve and realized it wasn't working, so that's a bummer. Not even going to try to set foot in a WM this weekend :scared: I have been picking up VGCs at OM all week and will be able to hit two stores and Staples today. I picked up enough Shopkicks to redeem for a $50 Disney GC too, which is a super nice bonus!

All my JB miles from my JB Biz posted yesterday too, so I'm booking our flights to Orlando today! Of course, the flights were 6300 miles each the other day and now they're 6700, but whatever. I could get it cheaper on URs with a CSR, but what's the point of picking up the JB miles if I'm not going to use them.

We have made some changes to our Orlando trip for February. Originally we were going to go down either Monday or mid day Tuesday and spend the night in Clearwater before going to BG. Since I now have my new boss and am taking on some new tasks at work, I didn't feel like it was appropriate for me to take the whole week off. So now we're going to cancel our night in Clearwater and take a 7:30 pm flight to Orlando on Tuesday night. We'll be staying in the Hyatt in the airport for the first time! Then we'll just get up early the next morning and rent our car and drive over to BG for the day. We'll drive back to Orlando that night and check into our stay at the Sheraton Vistana Villages for four nights. I'm really looking forward to our trip now!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!
Is $1 off per gallon the maximum? I have over 50 rewards and have used all of the food offers that I want.
So if I put in, say, 15 gallons, how many reward points will be deducted?
Can my DH then go and fill up at a different time and also get $1 off?
I’m trying to figure out the best way to maximize these rewards before they expire.
I couldn’t find any clear info on redeeming the rewards on their website. So I really appreciate any advice on this!

Yes. $1 is max.
15 gallons will still cost 2 rewards for 20Cents off at other stations, 10 rewards at Safeway gas station for $1 off.
Your husband can also fill up at a different time.

I had 50 rewards at one time and I had my daughter fill up once because I couldn't use it all myself, then used the rest on groceries.

Now I keep it to about 20-30 rewards if I get the opportunity to accrue them. Right now I'm sitting on 20 rewards but have until end of January to use them.

Does anyone have a really great way to keep track of their Amex offers? I am the post it queen when it comes to these but have a tendency to not carry them with me, forget which one I've used, forget when something will expire. I am also juggling 10 Amex cards if we include AUs.

I never had chicken pox, just the CP vaccine as a kid when it was still pretty new, so I am terrified of getting Shingles!

I thought you couldn't get shingles if you've never had chicken pox and were vaccinated? I also got the vaccine and never had chicken pox.

Does anyone have a really great way to keep track of their Amex offers? I am the post it queen when it comes to these but have a tendency to not carry them with me, forget which one I've used, forget when something will expire. I am also juggling 10 Amex cards if we include AUs.
My main thing is I try to be good about listing them in a google doc... with store, offer, what % savings that equates to, what card, who's card/account, expiration date, and then I try to mark the date used. That way I can always pull it up on my phone, and also I can filter it and see how much I saved in AMEX offers on each card to evaluate if the AF is worth it.

Off topic (not credit card and not even Disney 😳). We're headed to Orlando after New Years for 4 nights to meet up with SIL and her family and friends of ours. We're staying at Hyatt Grand Cypress (on points so maybe that keeps it on topic a bit more) and doing one night at Universal Portofino to take advantage of express pass for our 2 park days.

We'll be in the parks Jan 3 and 4 and they are going to be nuts. Any tips or advice on how to manage the crowds and navigate and make best use of express pass? I've only done Universal twice and this is our first time with express pass. I love that I don't have to pre book things but I also feel like I'm going in blind.

We'll be with kids ranging from 8-14. They like thrill rides. We'll try to get to park pre opening on the 4th to get in line for Hagrid's Motorbike (since we can walk over from hotel that day). Any other ride tips or must do items?

For food, there will be 12 of us, any tips for eating dinner together?
Will all of your family have EP? Our family faves are:
IoA-
Forbidden Journey
Hulk
Popeye’s and Dudley Doo Right (if it’s warm)
Jurassic Park
and Dr. Seuss is fun
Must see is the light show on Hogwarts, if awesome!

USO-
Gringott’s
MIB
Mummy

You get priority seating with your hotel key at many of the CityWalk restaurants, I would take advantage of it. NBC Grill is DS’s favorite. Many of the Portofino restaurants are less busy and easy to get into, especially with a large party.

I started adding them to my iPhone tasks and just use the voice recorder. I have a separate list for each card and then I just cross them Off after I use them.

I thought you couldn't get shingles if you've never had chicken pox and were vaccinated? I also got the vaccine and never had chicken pox.
Or is it, that there is a possibility that we could get chicken pox from someone with shingles, even if vaccinated? Vaccinations don't last forever for the most part. I can't quite remember, I probably should since I took classes on this in college :crazy: But I know my doctor and my grandma's wanted me to stay away from her for a while when she had shingles when her immune system was down due to chemo, since I'd never had chicken pox. That was 2008-2010, somewhere in there.

As @SouthFayetteFan said, I know we will all be busy with friends and family for the holidays, but I just wanted to say I really consider this group as part of my friends and family IRL, even if we haven't technically met IRL ❤ Can't wait to see what amazing travels the new year brings for everyone!
I sorta feel like I’ve met Zack... maybe it’s the pictures of the van, they really connected us... or you know what it is... it’s the CHEEKS! I’m in love with those beautiful rosy cheeks!!
giphy.gif

...yeah this just got weird 🥺

Quick question for anyone who does tandem fill ups. Heading to Kroger. 1st trip with dd's car and my van. Both fuel tanks are on the driver's side. Should she pull in behind me or across from me facing the opposite direction?

Or is it, that there is a possibility that we could get chicken pox from someone with shingles, even if vaccinated? Vaccinations don't last forever for the most part. I can't quite remember, I probably should since I took classes on this in college :crazy: But I know my doctor and my grandma's wanted me to stay away from her for a while when she had shingles when her immune system was down due to chemo, since I'd never had chicken pox. That was 2008-2010, somewhere in there.

Interesting. I was also repeatedly exposed to someone with shingles during that same timeframe. Never had anything happen. I guess I should ask my doctor at some point about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter