I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t get a decent retention offer for P2’s plat so we canceled this morning. Now he’s trying to figure out how exactly to destroy that card. I think he’s actually having fun with it. :jester:

Thanks again for all the step by step instructions on the process, @Lain. Now I’m trying to decide if I should apply for the gold card. Not sure if I want to give up one of my personal slots. I’m 3/24 now and don’t have a card falling off until next October.

Keep the Plat as an ice scraper. 👍

Keep in mind the Gold card comes with a $100 airline incidental fee credit annually. The airline credit is harder to use now that airline gift cards are off the table, but there are still ways to bank it if you don’t have a flight coming up, where you’d upgrade seats or check in bags. It’s triple dip season right now, so if you go for the Gold card in the next week or two, you’ll have a $100 credit to use before the end of the year, which resets 1/1/20, and a third $100 credit starting 1/1/21 before you’re billed a second AF. Essentially you’d get $300 in airline credits (not to mention those monthly $10 food credits) on 1x $250 AF if you decide to cancel the card after the second AF is billed. If you decide to keep the card, the Gold card is a solid MR earner and triple dipping won’t matter as much.

This is a weird OT question...

But does anyone know if I can use the Starbucks app to purchase physical gift cards in the store? For example, can I load my app with $30 and then buy three $10 GCs in the store with the app? I didn't know if that was some sort of weird GC to GC thing Starbucks wouldn't allow.

Yes. I’ve done this many times to buy lower denomination Starbucks GCs for teachers gifts etc.

Our HOA fees our due and they want to charge a $8.95 fee to pay with a credit card. That seems a little ridiculous to me. I’m not sure if we should just pay it or what. We’re working on MSRs so it would help but it’s still a big fee

OK - message received loud and clear - I have made a tentative reservation at Lost Pines while they still have points awards available.

As for hiking in the heat - we were hiking in Phoenix and Sedona last 4th July weekend so getting out on the trails before 7am to avoid the worst of the heat is something we can do. Is the heat in the Austin area likely to be more oppressive than Phoenix?
Austin has ‘low humidity’ when compared to much of the rest of Texas. However, it’s not a low humidity climate like Phoenix. So, yes, the heat will probably be more oppressive than Phoenix but your plan to get up early for outdoor activities is good. Be inside or in a pool by main part of the day.

We’re back in TX every other July (also usually over the 4th). My mom lives on a lake so that’s how we survive our days. Any hiking or fishing is done very early. Use bug spray!!

I was in Phoenix for a day in August and thought I would die. I wouldn't hike in the middle of the day here, but I usually don't have a problem getting out and running errands during the late afternoon. I hate cold, I hate heat lol

We have bats. I don't know how they are out at Lost Pines, but because of the bats our mosquito population is almost non-existent. While you should bring bug spray, you likely won't need near as much as you would in Houston. I always have to remind myself to pack it when we go visit family. Mine stays in softball wagon because that's the only time we ever need to use it, away softball games.

Our HOA fees our due and they want to charge a $8.95 fee to pay with a credit card. That seems a little ridiculous to me. I’m not sure if we should just pay it or what. We’re working on MSRs so it would help but it’s still a big fee
How much are the HOA fees?

Keep the Plat as an ice scraper. 👍

Keep in mind the Gold card comes with a $100 airline incidental fee credit annually. The airline credit is harder to use now that airline gift cards are off the table, but there are still ways to bank it if you don’t have a flight coming up, where you’d upgrade seats or check in bags. It’s triple dip season right now, so if you go for the Gold card in the next week or two, you’ll have a $100 credit to use before the end of the year, which resets 1/1/20, and a third $100 credit starting 1/1/21 before you’re billed a second AF. Essentially you’d get $300 in airline credits (not to mention those monthly $10 food credits) on 1x $250 AF if you decide to cancel the card after the second AF is billed. If you decide to keep the card, the Gold card is a solid MR earner and triple dipping won’t matter as much.

Re the gold, if I can figure out a way to triple dip the airline credit I may just go for it. Seems like it would be a keeper card for me if the airline credits are useful. Also thinking it would be a good au card for dd.

Is that greater than the 3% you would pay with Plastiq? Or 1% if you used certain MCGC that run as debit?

Is that greater than the 3% you would pay with Plastiq? Or 1% if you used certain MCGC that run as debit?
It comes out to about 2.8%. The fees are $310 plus the $8.95 fee for using a credit card. We could put it all on Dh's BBP that we're trying to hit the MSR on or when I apply here soon for my CIP.

My doc told me no lunch meat and this was the 90's.....
My doc told me, too, in mid-90s. But it was @Calfan who cured me of lunch meats forever :)
That's the same offer I got to keep my gold card and the 4X groceries and restaurants on that makes it a keeper for me even without the retention offer. DH's Platinum AF should post next month, and that one is more iffy. DH uses the Uber credits, but the airline fee credit is pretty much dead for us. So, $200 Uber credit and $100 Sacks credit still leaves $350 of the AF. I might be able to finagle another $100 out of the airline credit, if I'm lucky. So $250 for a credit card with no good spend categories is difficult to justify. If they give me a $200 credit, then DH can keep his shiny card with Centurion Lounge access. Otherwise, we will have a "conversation."
If you can make Southwest an option, there are still some nice workarounds on the airline credit. We have the gold and two platinums (business and personal), and we get good use out of them by having Southwest as our airline. But we live in the west coast with lots of Southwest choice, so maybe I missed that...

It comes out to about 2.8%. The fees are $310 plus the $8.95 fee for using a credit card. We could put it all on Dh's BBP that we're trying to hit the MSR on or when I apply here soon for my CIP.
Mine charges a fee for CC and a fee for ACH (bill pay through bank), the only free option is bank debit or paper check and I'm not giving them that auto debit abilities. The Plastiq fee is less than their CC fee and I don't have to worry about mailing a check so I pay mine that way. I know I have checks somewhere and I don't always have stamps on hand.

Okay, I'm just going to stand up for Houston here, since I've lived there three times in my life! When you are coming through on the highways, it's easy to just see the concrete, but there are very few places where a highway or convention center area will give you a true view of a city.

Houston has a range of large parks throughout the city, including Hermann Park and Buffalo Bayou; an amazing restaurant scene, both on the high end and the low end; world-class opera, symphony, and theatre options; a huge range of museums; a constant parade of shows from top performers; and excellent basketball and baseball teams (as well as pretty good football and soccer teams). It is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States, which also enriches all of the above. There are three official languages in the Houston Independent School District. You can probably guess two of them - English and Spanish. But can you guess the third? It is Vietnamese.

So, hmph.
Houston definitely has museums, restaurants and sports (though I'm a United fan, not Dynamo; love the Astros). It just takes so long to get around the city though, it's hard to get out and enjoy those things. There is a lot to appreciate about the city. I don't think my parents will ever leave the area.

Who are our AA experts? Are the Economy Web fares here to stay? Because they are amazing! I can book RT to Europe for 37.5K miles from a tiny regional airport that has free parking.
Hard to say, but I wouldn't count on it. I was able to get Saver business class to Prague and they were gone the next week. I haven't seen them come back. I keep checking because I'd like to leave a day later, but very doubtful I'll see them again. I'd put a 5-day hold on the flights and think about it.

piping in here.
My first was born in 93 and I was told about the no lunch meats back then. I probably still ate some occasionally.
We do buy the precooked Johnsonville, the Turkey ones, with Cheese. Super yummy. But I still think the uncooked one, cooked on the grill are the best LOL.
I buy the French's crispy Jalapenos at Target in a little bucket. Probably not as cheap as Aldi or Costco, but it lasts him quite awhile.
My first was born in 94 - so similar to you. I don't really remember being told not to eat anything in particular. :ssst:
I have never bought the Johnsonville, but hubby does like Kielbasi - that's the only similar thing I can think of that we get.

My doc told me, too, in mid-90s. But it was @Calfan who cured me of lunch meats forever :)

If you can make Southwest an option, there are still some nice workarounds on the airline credit. We have the gold and two platinums (business and personal), and we get good use out of them by having Southwest as our airline. But we live in the west coast with lots of Southwest choice, so maybe I missed that...
I am also contemplating getting the Gold and am interested in how to use SW for the airline credit.

Saw it mentioned a bunch of places BUT I'm not sure if it was actually mentioned here, lol. From what I've read it will only keep track of flights cancelled after December 3rd. I honestly haven't read a ton on it because it doesn't matter to me but just putting it out there that ALL of your available travel funds may not show there.

I'd also not rely on this exclusively but also continue to keep track separately in a safe spreadsheet (but I'm super paranoid about trusting things, lol)

I can verify this is definitely the case. I had a bunch of travel funds that I have been tracking on a spreadsheet (and will continue to do so as a backup). For kicks, I checked my SW travel fund tab after I saw the announcement, and it showed no funds since I have not cancelled any flights post Dec. 3.

I think you are right and you might be the only one besides me with the card.

Nope! I've got it too, and it continues to be a keeper for me, especially now that DD is going to be going to university in Scotland.

Guilty as charged! I have to admit that I cringed when @Haley R said she missed cold meat sandwiches. I'm actually cringing again just typing this.....

In other news, I was able to book some SW flights this morning with the latest release. We needed flights to the Bay Area in June for our Japan flights out of SFO. The nonstop from BOI to SJC was only $114, which is a pretty good price for that route. Both DH and DD had $96 in travel funds available, so their flights came out to only $40isj OOP total. DS is DH's companion, so his flight was free, and he had $5.60 in travel funds to cover the taxes on his companion flight. I used points for my flight. So four one-way flights for a grand total of about $45. That works! And now all of the flights for our Japan trip are fully booked.

Mine charges a fee for CC and a fee for ACH (bill pay through bank), the only free option is bank debit or paper check and I'm not giving them that auto debit abilities. The Plastiq fee is less than their CC fee and I don't have to worry about mailing a check so I pay mine that way. I know I have checks somewhere and I don't always have stamps on hand.
We have checks but that seems like such a waste

I can verify this is definitely the case. I had a bunch of travel funds that I have been tracking on a spreadsheet (and will continue to do so as a backup). For kicks, I checked my SW travel fund tab after I saw the announcement, and it showed no funds since I have not cancelled any flights post Dec. 3.

Nope! I've got it too, and it continues to be a keeper for me, especially now that DD is going to be going to university in Scotland.

Guilty as charged! I have to admit that I cringed when @Haley R said she missed cold meat sandwiches. I'm actually cringing again just typing this.....

In other news, I was able to book some SW flights this morning with the latest release. We needed flights to the Bay Area in June for our Japan flights out of SFO. The nonstop from BOI to SJC was only $114, which is a pretty good price for that route. Both DH and DD had $96 in travel funds available, so their flights came out to only $40isj OOP total. DS is DH's companion, so his flight was free, and he had $5.60 in travel funds to cover the taxes on his companion flight. I used points for my flight. So four one-way flights for a grand total of about $45. That works! And now all of the flights for our Japan trip are fully booked.
Mommy I love me a good turkey and cheese sub from subway lol

My Niece's and DD's college tuition bills just came in. I am so unhappy that both schools charge 3% for a credit card payment. That would be some MAJOR spend. LOL. Anyway...it's the last bill for DD. She's graduating in May. I'm just praying for a job right out of school or soon thereafter, so she doesn't move back into my house. I don't think our relationship can stand that.
I guess we are lucky because my kids college does not charge a credit card fee. Even before I joined this thread - I knew that was a good deal and how I accumulated some SW points by using my card to pay for their college fees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter