I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a weird OT question...

But does anyone know if I can use the Starbucks app to purchase physical gift cards in the store? For example, can I load my app with $30 and then buy three $10 GCs in the store with the app? I didn't know if that was some sort of weird GC to GC thing Starbucks wouldn't allow.

My Niece's and DD's college tuition bills just came in. I am so unhappy that both schools charge 3% for a credit card payment. That would be some MAJOR spend. LOL. Anyway...it's the last bill for DD. She's graduating in May. I'm just praying for a job right out of school or soon thereafter, so she doesn't move back into my house. I don't think our relationship can stand that.

Thoughts...oh wise one...

Do you bother with checking in 24hrs before your flight while in WDW? I trend to stress over the check in while in the parks the day before we leave but do I really need to bother with family boarding between A & B? Curious on your thoughts and what you do. My youngest just turned 3 so we still have some years there.
We fly out in the evening. I try to check-in around the 24 hour mark. It makes no difference though because we won't get an A pass so family boarding it is. I just like to have it done and situated. There was one time that I forgot and checked in from home super late (leaving Pittsburgh, not Orlando) and I had to see somebody at the desk in the air-side terminal to get a boarding position. That was annoying and I think its because we were the last folks to check-in. So I avoid that now!

We fly out in the evening. I try to check-in around the 24 hour mark. It makes no difference though because we won't get an A pass so family boarding it is. I just like to have it done and situated. There was one time that I forgot and checked in from home super late (leaving Pittsburgh, not Orlando) and I had to see somebody at the desk in the air-side terminal to get a boarding position. That was annoying and I think its because we were the last folks to check-in. So I avoid that now!
We usually get the last direct flight out back to Providence around 7:30p. I like to have it done as well but will stress less about it on our next trip and do it when I have a free minute instead of dropping everything or waiting out of a line just to check-in. It does get harder too when I have to check in multiple reservations because of points/price changes.

Oh my goodness, my kids love those...can't remember the brand, but there is one that has jalapenos and cheese :lovestruc Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with them.
Johnsonville makes the jalapeño cheese ones too! Usually dh buys those while I get the beddar cheddar but he’s stopped eating them completely because he’s watching his weight now

Of course the flight I need is just outside of Southwest's planned schedule drop this morning. :rolleyes2
That said, I tried to get presale tickets to the Def Leppard/Motley show for 5 of us at Wrigley Field and I kept striking out. Until I was able to pull appalling expensive seats, so I threw them back. Will try again during general on sale Friday.

I'm too cheap for the price of concerts these days. *Shakes fist at clouds.*
We’ve completely stopped going to concerts now. They’re just too expensive

Johnsonville makes the jalapeño cheese ones too! Usually dh buys those while I get the beddar cheddar but he’s stopped eating them completely because he’s watching his weight now
Good to know! Yeah I haven’t bought the regular cheese ones in years but I’ve seen those jalapeño ones and it’s so tempting!

This morning I am not pleased with my DVC administrators. They've reallocated points costs again and this time a week in November starting 2021 in a standard studio will cost 90 points versus 76. These changes are always made because the members supposedly 'requested' them. The excuse is that we will be able to use our points for other seasons more cheaply and increase availability. Yeah, fat chance I'm going in hot as hades August or September instead of November. It costs me a day extra per trip. To compensate, I will be in a constant state of borrowing in. Yes, there are probably people screaming that they couldn't get their dates last week and at other times, but that is what we purchased. I'll still be trying to book early to mid November regardless of the point cost as that is my preferred time and what made me want to own DVC. I will not purchase more points. I will not sell. I also know that November is popular because Disney chose to put a marathon right there to increase bookings overall, and that Jersey week is going to be in that time frame and that many DVC members love the marathons - I don't participate but I think they are awesome when I see groups displaying their shirts and medals and feeling pride.

But but but - it was a quiet time years ago. Now not so much.

Didn’t get a decent retention offer for P2’s plat so we canceled this morning. Now he’s trying to figure out how exactly to destroy that card. I think he’s actually having fun with it. :jester:

Thanks again for all the step by step instructions on the process, @Lain. Now I’m trying to decide if I should apply for the gold card. Not sure if I want to give up one of my personal slots. I’m 3/24 now and don’t have a card falling off until next October.

Didn’t get a decent retention offer for P2’s plat so we canceled this morning. Now he’s trying to figure out how exactly to destroy that card. I think he’s actually having fun with it. :jester:

Thanks again for all the step by step instructions on the process, @Lain. Now I’m trying to decide if I should apply for the gold card. Not sure if I want to give up one of my personal slots. I’m 3/24 now and don’t have a card falling off until next October.

Did they offer you anything?

Thanks. Any thoughts about why I might want to keep the downgraded, no-fee version? I'm trying to close the cards I'm not actively using (or need to keep b/c less than a year) but I could keep this one open if there's any reason to.
@platamama beat me to the punch but what she said 😄

Amex usually sends an envelope so you can mail back the metal cards- if you don’t receive one you might want to call and request it.

Okay, I'm just going to stand up for Houston here, since I've lived there three times in my life! When you are coming through on the highways, it's easy to just see the concrete, but there are very few places where a highway or convention center area will give you a true view of a city.

Houston has a range of large parks throughout the city, including Hermann Park and Buffalo Bayou; an amazing restaurant scene, both on the high end and the low end; world-class opera, symphony, and theatre options; a huge range of museums; a constant parade of shows from top performers; and excellent basketball and baseball teams (as well as pretty good football and soccer teams). It is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States, which also enriches all of the above. There are three official languages in the Houston Independent School District. You can probably guess two of them - English and Spanish. But can you guess the third? It is Vietnamese.

So, hmph.

Lol, thanks @mechteach1 ! I was beginning to feel a tiny bit defensive of my beloved hometown. But even I have to admit I was floored when a college friend came to town as a tourist for a weekend - and then thrilled when he said he had the best BBQ of his life at a restaurant a block from my apartment. Coming from a native North Carolinian it was a huge compliment. I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to visit during our hot and humid summers but it really is a great place to live and work IMO.

I always learn so much non-churning info from this thread...I had no idea you weren’t supposed to eat soft cheeses if you are pregnant. I am preemptively so sad for future Brie-less pregnant me!

The Plat is so pretty I’d hate to send it back! Maybe turn it into a Christmas tree ornament? (I’m kinda kidding but not really!)

They did. It was 20k MR or $200 credit for $3k spend over 3 months. We called twice and it was the same offer both times. Since we aren’t able to use the Uber credit, it just wasn’t quite enough to entice us to stay with it.

That's the same offer I got to keep my gold card and the 4X groceries and restaurants on that makes it a keeper for me even without the retention offer. DH's Platinum AF should post next month, and that one is more iffy. DH uses the Uber credits, but the airline fee credit is pretty much dead for us. So, $200 Uber credit and $100 Sacks credit still leaves $350 of the AF. I might be able to finagle another $100 out of the airline credit, if I'm lucky. So $250 for a credit card with no good spend categories is difficult to justify. If they give me a $200 credit, then DH can keep his shiny card with Centurion Lounge access. Otherwise, we will have a "conversation."

Lol, thanks @mechteach1 ! I was beginning to feel a tiny bit defensive of my beloved hometown. But even I have to admit I was floored when a college friend came to town as a tourist for a weekend - and then thrilled when he said he had the best BBQ of his life at a restaurant a block from my apartment. Coming from a native North Carolinian it was a huge compliment. I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to visit during our hot and humid summers but it really is a great place to live and work IMO.

I always learn so much non-churning info from this thread...I had no idea you weren’t supposed to eat soft cheeses if you are pregnant. I am preemptively so sad for future Brie-less pregnant me!

It's not that it's soft. It's that it's soft and unpasteurized.

Anyone working on any nationwide or multi-region bank account bonuses?

I'm in progress with Citi hoping I did all the requirements correctly for the $600 bonus.

I had Discover Savings and PNC pay out recently which was nice.

Always nice to offset all the credit card annual fees with bank bonuses when possible.

A sad day has come... booked our summer vacation which is my last "Family Boarding" ever as my younger daughter will turn 7 at the end of next summer... Hello $200 in EBCI expenses next time I book, lol! Luckily we don't ever pay for the flights due to points so this just means my flights will cost $200 RT instead of $0 RT, 🤣 🤣
Would the SW Priority card work for you? Four upgraded boarding passes plus $75 annual credit for $149 AF might work out a little cheaper than $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter