I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was the given reason?
Standard letter with the too many requests for credit and such. I never saw it - but I recognized the tone when he mentioned it.

I felt bad that it happened but at least she got her freedom bonus. My pastor has had decent success with a SW biz card and a CSP so far.

Since folks are talking about 2021 travel... Celebrity Cruises is doing their $20 deposit sale right now. I thought the $50 deposit was good awhile back but obviously this one is better.

I have a DCL placeholder and I'm waiting for the Jan. 2021 sailings but there's no real downside to booking something on Celebrity for $20 too. My plan for the evening is to investigate their itineraries. Never sailed that line before.

I successfully hardboiled eggs in my new pressure cooker - the house did not explode! So I went to the store and got the ingredients for mushroom risotto. Meal planning on fleek.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm impatiently waiting for DCL's summer 2020 itineraries to come out; if there is something that looks really interesting I'll use my placeholder there. Otherwise I'm leaning towards Viking (except for the pesky no 3 people in a cabin of any size rule that may just be a dealbreaker for us since two rooms is just way too expensive) or maybe Celebrity. The $20 deposit is certainly enticing. I'm kind of stuck waiting to hear where DD will be and what she will be doing, so it's tough to plan this far in advance. I'd love to include her if possible.

Did they multiple accounts work? And if so, any advice as to how to set that up? I got lots of PINS in the past, and then one year they all just stopped. And I have never received one since. :sad2: Ironically, DD gets them all the time now, based off trips that I planned and paid for. And she doesn't have the time or interest to go at this point. So there they sit, just taunting me.
Yes, it has seemed to work. I setup separate accounts with 3 gmail addresses that were identical except for the different placement of a period. Good trick for various things. I've found that I could use a pin from a family member with the same last name because it only asks you for the last name. I have seemed to garner at least 1-2 every year.

depends on your card line. I would check out Dell.com too if u have an amex card with dell ao. dell is also on a bunch of portals too.
Nope no Amex MR cards. Ended up getting a super cheap HP laptop from Best Buy. Used The Swagbucks QR code and it’s on the receipt so it should work. Used my Citi AA card for added buyer protection

Little concerning but I wouldn't be alarmed just yet, however couple weird reports of Chase card shutdowns in the DQ on r/churning -
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/arj9vp/question_thread_february_17_2019/egony99

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/arj9vp/question_thread_february_17_2019/egoju98

@SouthFayetteFan don't know if you check out the DQ anymore and saw those? Does this fit into any previous shutdown patterns? Not much info provided but they both only have a few Chase cards at all and on the surface not very risky behavior. Need more info before panicking but head scratcher.

first one is unusual. but one of the reason also seem to be bustout conditions.
2nd one... its bustout conditions based on this statement "yeah it was the first purchase. I should have known better. $2k attempted funding on a $5k CL. AAoA is 14 months, oldest acc is 2 yrs."
I agree that we don't want to cause a panic here - but I think that those of us who like to hand out advice, we should be careful with the pacing recommendations again. The worst thing we can do to a newbie is get them shutdown for application velocity. These are obviously two isolated incidents but I would probably continue to recommend the following timelines (or caution somebody if they desire to move faster). I'd rather they move faster because THEY want to and they know the risks vs. me being the cause of a shutdown:
  • minimum 2 months between applications of 2 Chase Personal Cards (only exception would be a modified double dip which requires two cards in 2 days - and in that instance I would attempt to have a "quiet" credit report for the preceding 3-4 months)
  • minimum 3 months between applications of 2 Chase Biz Cards
  • minimum 2 months between applications of a Chase Biz Card (first) and a Chase Personal card (second)
  • Ideally a minimum 3 month "quiet" period before any Chase business application (2 months potentially ok though)
  • You also want to watch how many other issuer applications you're putting in and what inquiries that is putting out there. AMEX seems to sometimes not do a hard pull which is nice. EXAMPLE: You may want to exercise caution applying for a Chase card with inquiries from AMEX, Citi and Wells Fargo in the past 3 weeks...
  • Watch out for showing high balances on your credit report - consider paying down cards early (especially in the weeks preceding an application)
  • Keep in mind that Chase can see ALL personal cards you applied for. Don't go hog wild with 4 new cards from other issuers and then think they'll be perfectly fine to give you another card (we don't have anybody here that really appears to be doing that)
  • It still does not seem that TOTAL Chase cards plays any role in this, I have 7 open Chase cards and my wife has 10 and I don't have a lot of worry there.
  • I would continue to reduce Credit Limits and keep them at a reasonable level - it's harder to be a "huge credit risk" if I don't have large limits that I could rack up and "bust-out" on...
Just some scattered thoughts - I don't think Shutdown risk is any higher than it was before, But I also don't think the risk ever went away. Just continue to play the game safely! Even though the majority of people can get reinstated on a shutdown...you just don't want the hassle of going through it!

Last edited:

I agree that we don't want to cause a panic here - but I think that those of us who like to hand out advice, we should be careful with the pacing recommendations again. The worst thing we can do to a newbie is get them shutdown for application velocity. These are obviously two isolated incidents but I would probably continue to recommend the following timelines (or caution somebody if they desire to move faster). I'd rather they move faster because THEY want to know and they know the risks vs. me being the cause of a shutdown:
  • minimum 2 months between applications of 2 Chase Personal Cards (only exception would be a modified double dip which requires two cards in 2 days - and in that instance I would attempt to have a "quiet" credit report for the preceding 3-4 months)
  • minimum 3 months between applications of 2 Chase Biz Cards
  • minimum 2 months between applications of a Chase Biz Card (first) and a Chase Personal card (second)
  • Ideally a minimum 3 month "quiet" period before any Chase business application (2 months potentially ok though)
  • You also want to watch how many other issuer applications you're putting in and what inquiries that is putting out there. AMEX seems to sometimes not do a hard pull which is nice. EXAMPLE: You may want to exercise caution applying for a Chase card with inquiries from AMEX, Citi and Wells Fargo in the past 3 weeks...
  • Watch out for showing high balances on your credit report - consider paying down cards early (especially in the weeks preceding an application)
  • Keep in mind that Chase can see ALL personal cards you applied for. Don't go hog wild with 4 new cards from other issuers and then think they'll be perfectly fine to give you another card (we don't have anybody here that really appears to be doing that)
  • It still does not seem that TOTAL Chase cards plays any role in this, I have 7 open Chase cards and my wife has 10 and I don't have a lot of worry there.
  • I would continue to reduce Credit Limits and keep them at a reasonable level - it's harder to be a "huge credit risk" if I don't have large limits that I could rack up and "bust-out" on...
Just some scattered thoughts - I don't think Shutdown risk is any higher than it was before, But I also don't think the risk ever went away. Just continue to play the game safely! Even though the majority of people can get reinstated on a shutdown...you just don't want the hassle of going through it!

I think the other thing, especially with your pastor's wife and the other reddit dp, you don't mention is the AAOA. If the person, like @wendow 's daughter is going for stuff it should be more conservative because she doesn't have the age to fall back on that some of us do with over 20 years of credit.

The other interesting thing would be to take into account, if these DP's have mortgages. I think many of us do, which likely gives a little more on paper "stability" and lower bust out risk, I wouldn't want to recommend a super aggressive strategy even if someone has a mortgage but I think that may help people feel a little more secure when ramping up applications as well. Just recently many of us app'd for both the SW bus and personal in short periods of time, for the CP and at that point I wasn't worried about shutdowns. Chase must be done chasing the DD's so has moved back to shutdowns...

Yes, AA. I thought the same - the point of a hold should have retained the original price. I tried to purchase the hold tickets through the link in my email confirmation. Once I logged on, instead of the 80k miles (4 tickets), it says 160k miles. I also tried accessing the record locator, and purchasing from the reservation in my account. Both bumped up to 160k miles. :(
That’s odd. Or a bad sign. I’ve never had that happen

Annual fee came up for my Delta Gold Biz. I called for a retention offer and got offered to open a Blue Biz? (I have that card lol) I said I wasn’t interested in opening a new card and she said that was my only offer. I cancelled the card. I need room for more Amex cards anyway.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome! :blush: And thanks for the DISchurners invite!

DH has sold on eBay in the past but hasn't done so in, oh maybe 5 years? Otherwise no side gigs of any stripe. Uh, if needed in order to qualify for a business card I could probably get him to sell a few items here or there.

We're happy to open and use as many cards as needed for any sign up bonus. For example, get/use CC1 for 3 months to get bonus X, then stop using CC1 and get/use CC2 for four months to get bonus Y, stop using CC2 and get/use CC3 for 2 months for bonus Z. More than happy to go this route, and could manage even attempting to do two CCs at the same time as long as we'd have a good chance at making the minimum spend for the bonus.

What we are less looking to do is using multiple cards on a daily basis for different categories. For example, CC1 for gas (except for BP stations where we use CC2) and CC3 is for restaurants (except Starbucks where we use CC4) and CC5 is grocery stores except Target because we use CC6 and so on. That sort of thing DH would never get on board with and honestly I'd also find to be too taxing.

for business cards you can use your husbands eBay side gig to sign up for them .....I’ve been alternating signing up my DH and myself for Chase cards every 2-3 months....you can accumulate a lot of URs this way. Then they can be used to book travel through the Chase travel site, transferred to travel partners or cashed out.

My DH will only carry one card at a time too...so whatever card we need to meet the MSR for the sign up bonus he’s he’s carrying. I pretty much do the same. The only expenses I put on a card for the category are our phone and internet bills since we can get 5x URs on the CIC.

You have definitely done your homework on which airlines etc you can use....

I feel having to pack up, change resorts, and unpack to be a bigger time-suck but that is probably a completely personal thing.
Well the upside is Disney will move your luggage to/from Swolphin and other resorts. While I tend to prefer Swolphin location, it is a bit longer to MK. We have done a split stay at Poly first (used Magical Express and got new Magic Bands) then took our luggage to desk and they took it to Dolphin while we headed to MK. When we got to Dolphin that afternoon, they sent our luggage up after we checked in.

Yes I know its early but I will need to re-up my SW SP in 2020. I want to start planning now. We got it for DW at the beginning of 2018 and have had it for the full two years. Best method to do it in her name again with the Biz and a personal or should I switch to me? We will both be under 5/24 by then.

I’ll be doing the same thing in 2020...and I’ve been trying to decide which way to go as well.....if I’m going to get it again for myself I have to wait until late January 2020 to start applying since that’s when my bonus hit in2018...and I don’t have to go without a SW card for a few months Sonce I’d be cancelling the cards in October

If I have DH apply we could start the business application in November/December 2019...and be without a SW card for a shorter period of time.

Cool - where’s he auditioning? (I have a music degree - obviously enjoying banking far more now though, lol!)

Taylor University in Indiana tomorrow. Will also audition at Lipscomb in Nashville. Both small private schools. He’s a very talented musician, but I always thought he’d be good in a business field too. He wants to work on music in films/tv. We’ll see. I’m guessing it’s a highly competitive field.

Maybe we got lucky, but we didn't feel the time/distance from Swolphin to MK to be that bad on our trip last year (spent 3 full days at MK including one day that we took a mid-day break back at the hotel room). I feel having to pack up, change resorts, and unpack to be a bigger time-suck but that is probably a completely personal thing.

And you're totally right about the jump in points from a studio villa to the one bedroom, given we want 10 nights that would be a metric ton of points we'd have to rent (I'm sure we'd have to rent from several people to make it work). The lack of a nuke box wouldn't bother me so much but having in-room laundry would be lovely (as would a bit of privacy for DH and I). But I'm just at the beginning of my research into the trip, there is plenty of time to weigh the options.

Would you consider Wyndham Bonnet Creek...it’s right there in the middle of Disney...they have Studios, 1 and 2 bedroom units... just stayed there in December used 87,000 URs for ..5 nights in a 2 br....resort and room was beautiful.....we own DVC and it was larger than the boardwalk units we usually stay in

I had checked DH’s CIU status several times today and it is still the 30 day message. It is driving me insane!
I sure hope President's Day doesn't mean they won't be processing applications! I think my DH has usually been approved on day 2 with business cards..so this feels like a long time! Probably not so smart to apply on Friday. Only good thing is I've had a busy weekend so have only the checked status line a few times a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter