I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that's a big part of it. They'd want to know why she needs it all now after that long of no report. And if she paid her balance in full with only a few months of credit history and now she needs another card when they weren't really sure they wanted to give her the first one. I can see their point and why that would trigger a more thorough look than an 18 year old with no credit or some due to being an AU waiting a few months because they are building their credit and are more likely seen as someone that will pay interest. It sucks but in some ways I don't blame chase, it seems like it could be bust out because why would she care after having not had a credit report for her entire adult life thus far.
The low move by Chase though was cancelling the Freedom which she was using and paying. I think I shouldn’t have had her recon the Disney card - I actually think that caused the shutdown. Her reason for wanting the card was a Disney trip and the Disney benefits which was great reasoning.

The sad part...the recon rep on the Disney card recommended approval - and instead she ends up with a shutdown letter. It really was a crap move by Chase in my book - just let her keep the Freedom with her low CL and prove she can be a good customer. They definitely burned a customer for life there (and she’d have probably just used that freedom on everything lol - their “dream” customer happy to earn 1% back).

Right, the pastor's wife looks like far more of a bust out risk than my 18yo. This is why I'm a big believer in making my kid's AU'ers. I help prepare them for every other aspect of life as they move from child to adult. Helping them establish good credit is no different, imo.

I totally agree. DD had an AU card as soon as she was in HS. While she rarely used it, I was also happy that she had it in case she really needed it. She knew if she spent money on it she would have to pay us back (unless it was something I told her in advance to go ahead and get) and I think it also taught her to be responsible with her money.

The low move by Chase though was cancelling the Freedom which she was using and paying. I think I shouldn’t have had her recon the Disney card - I actually think that caused the shutdown. Her reason for wanting the card was a Disney trip and the Disney benefits which was great reasoning.

The sad part...the recon rep on the Disney card recommended approval - and instead she ends up with a shutdown letter. It really was a crap move by Chase in my book - just let her keep the Freedom with her low CL and prove she can be a good customer. They definitely burned a customer for life there (and she’d have probably just used that freedom on everything lol - their “dream” customer happy to earn 1% back).

I agree. It seems like a mean move by Chase and really not necessary. If they are so worried about credit history, they can give a low line of credit. To shut down someone who isn't really a "player" and pays the bills on time just seems like a low move.

Hey there! Welcome to the thread! Those are a couple of interesting first cards to get (not bad, just not the typical ones you’d see). Have you ever looked into the Chase Ultimate Rewards (URs) program? It’s a popular one among many of us.

Also - do you have any source of side income that might qualify you for a small business credit card? Examples could include selling on eBay, teaching piano, selling cookies, mowing lawns, really any source of secondary income. The reason I ask is that some of the most lucrative offers out there are on business cards.

I’ll also send you a PM invite to our DISchurners private Reddit group :)

Thanks! I've had a BoFA Cash Rewards card for years and branched out to these two because they are no-fee with no FX transaction fee since we have a trip to London/Paris coming up. I've been reading about Chase Ultimate Rewards, I think I could time it to be able to cover next year's trip when we book. I've just been trying to figure out if it would be worth it to keep...or maybe this is part of the churning, there's still a lot for me to read up on since I've kept it pretty basic so far. No secondary income at all.

@CallieMar Hi :wave2: We've been using AMEX points and AA points to fly overseas from SFO. There are lots of good options from that airport. We do book first or business, but when looking for seats I can generally see much better availability for coach if that is what you prefer. DH and I don't generally use points to fly domestically since we can often get a decent deal and we want to kind of hoard the points for the trips abroad. It took us 5 years to get the points for our last trip (needed 3 business class seats to/from Europe for our 2018 trip), but after spending time on this thread I can say that we have earned almost twice that number of points in about 6 months. This is an amazing thread.
Thank you! I'll definitely have to spend more time reading this thread to get a better understanding.

I totally agree. DD had an AU card as soon as she was in HS. While she rarely used it, I was also happy that she had it in case she really needed it. She knew if she spent money on it she would have to pay us back (unless it was something I told her in advance to go ahead and get) and I think it also taught her to be responsible with her money.
Same. Our dd18 was added at 16yo and dd16 at 14yo. DD16 does not even have the cards in her possession. She is not a licensed driver yet and is never really in a situation where she would need a CC. DD18 does carry one of the cards she is an AU'er on. She is allowed to buy gas as we still pay for her gas, but she isn't allowed to use the card for anything else without asking, and she knows if she does use it, I will transfer the money from her account to ours to cover. Since she has two cards of her own (plus her debit), there is never a reason to use my card but because she is on her own a lot at school and driving back and forth, I want her to carry my card in case of emergency. Her Discover has a CL of $1100 and CFU is $600. Pretty sure she was approved for the CIP with 5k! Which is just nuts.

My boys who are 10yo and almost 8yo are already AU'ers and have been for two years.

I agree. It seems like a mean move by Chase and really not necessary. If they are so worried about credit history, they can give a low line of credit. To shut down someone who isn't really a "player" and pays the bills on time just seems like a low move.
It’s unfortunately a computer making decisions because you can’t afford to pay people think about this stuff. The right move IMO would’ve been to deny the Disney card and reduce the limit on the Freedom to something like $1,000...obviously Chase didn’t agree :laughing:

Wow, sometimes I really despise these banks and am happy to milk them for everything I can. Chase treated her so awful. Definitely a crap move :furious:

Thanks! I've had a BoFA Cash Rewards card for years and branched out to these two because they are no-fee with no FX transaction fee since we have a trip to London/Paris coming up. I've been reading about Chase Ultimate Rewards, I think I could time it to be able to cover next year's trip when we book. I've just been trying to figure out if it would be worth it to keep...or maybe this is part of the churning, there's still a lot for me to read up on since I've kept it pretty basic so far. No secondary income at all.

Thank you! I'll definitely have to spend more time reading this thread to get a better understanding.
Anything without an annual fee can be a keeper.

Some cards with annual fees will be keeper cards...a lot are more “earn the bonus then cancel after a year”. You can also downgrade annual fee cards sometimes to no annual fee options. We can help navigate all of this :)

Wow, sometimes I really despise these banks and am happy to milk them for everything I can. Chase treated her so awful. Definitely a crap move :furious:
Yep - makes me happy to keep earning some bonuses! Don’t ever feel bad for the bank - they only care about themself!!

EDIT: I should add that I feel this way both as a banker and a consumer. :)

Last edited:
Don't know how I totally missed this before on Hilton Honors but I just found the MyWay Hotel Benefits section in the Account page. You can select the offered amenity or bonus points instead. Mostly it's a snack and beverage but places like the Hilton Garden Inn offers a Hot Breakfast - of course we're defaulted to the bonus points option for that one instead :rolleyes:
This could be handy to change if you aren't going to use the snack and would rather the points.

Dh & I both met our Arrival+ spend with new windows. Our new windows are totally awesome, btw, and knowing we got $1600+ back in travel (aka, Disney tix) is pretty sweet! Since I can make the Arrival+ spend easily with my mortgage, I'm debating if I should try for dd18 one. I know I said a 6-mo break for her...but I meant with Chase...Should I try to get her an Arrival+?

Dh & I both met our Arrival+ spend with new windows. Our new windows are totally awesome, btw, and knowing we got $1600+ back in travel (aka, Disney tix) is pretty sweet! Since I can make the Arrival+ spend easily with my mortgage, I'm debating if I should try for dd18 one. I know I said a 6-mo break for her...but I meant with Chase...Should I try to get her an Arrival+?

I know she probably won't get more cards of her own until she's done with college but I'd be careful what you sign her up for in case terms change and it's a card she could use later or want the bonus for. I know some of barclays stuff is churnable but we've seen chase and bofa change that stuff lately. Plus I'd watch her 5/24 in case she gets a good job before she's done with college and wants to plan trips with friends, she may want those slots.

But ultimately it should be her decision and she should understand all of the above. But it also seems too soon even with it being another bank since she is still so young.

I know she probably won't get more cards of her own until she's done with college but I'd be careful what you sign her up for in case terms change and it's a card she could use later or want the bonus for. I know some of barclays stuff is churnable but we've seen chase and bofa change that stuff lately. Plus I'd watch her 5/24 in case she gets a good job before she's done with college and wants to plan trips with friends, she may want those slots.

But ultimately it should be her decision and she should understand all of the above. But it also seems too soon even with it being another bank since she is still so young.
She's 3/24 as of this month. One is her recent AU'er on my plat (gold card) and the other two are her Discover IT and CFU.

I also am trying to be very mindful of her potential to meet these spends on her own in the next couple of years and use the bonus herself. As it stands now, she met the Discover and CFU MSR's herself and the bonus was hers. I've also opened up a couple of bank accounts for her and gotten the bonuses. I used her money to deposit and the bonus was hers to use as she wanted. I hear you on the Arrival+ and how a churnable card could become not churnable next time but I also know there will always be other cards. By the time she could meet a 5k MSR, the options could all be different. I'll give it more thought :)

And we do discuss all this a lot. She is very involved in all this and I love that she even cares at her age.

Don't know how I totally missed this before on Hilton Honors but I just found the MyWay Hotel Benefits section in the Account page. You can select the offered amenity or bonus points instead. Mostly it's a snack and beverage but places like the Hilton Garden Inn offers a Hot Breakfast - of course we're defaulted to the bonus points option for that one instead :rolleyes:
This could be handy to change if you aren't going to use the snack and would rather the points.
I discovered that on our last Hilton stay because I was trying to figure out how to make sure we got points instead of breakfast.

Guys - our thread was the Ad at the bottom on my DISboards page...

I've always wondered about some of these threads that become Ads - usually they are ancient "zombie" threads with sensationalized headlines..."My Dad died and nobody told me"..."Brazilian Tour Groups @ pool"..."Disney is too crowded and too expensive"... Well today...there we were - "I love credit cards so much v2.0". I guess we're a special thread now!!

Guys - our thread was the Ad at the bottom on my DISboards page...

I've always wondered about some of these threads that become Ads - usually they are ancient "zombie" threads with sensationalized headlines..."My Dad died and nobody told me"..."Brazilian Tour Groups @ pool"..."Disney is too crowded and too expensive"... Well today...there we were - "I love credit cards so much v2.0". I guess we're a special thread now!!
Uh-oh...I don't think I want to be that special...

@SouthFayetteFan How in the world do I have more posts than you? You post all the time!
I guess I say what needs said...and that's all I say...:rotfl2:

Another Disney group I'm in was recently talking about the ratio of Likes:Messages - and somebody saw that I was at like 3.8 and they thought it was crazy, haha...Yes Folks, I only post High-Class stuff on this thread (bonus points if you know which Disney attraction I'm channeling with that last comment...)

I guess I say what needs said...and that's all I say...:rotfl2:

Another Disney group I'm in was recently talking about the ratio of Likes:Messages - and somebody saw that I was at like 3.8 and they thought it was crazy, haha...Yes Folks, I only post High-Class stuff on this thread (bonus points if you know which Disney attraction I'm channeling with that last comment...)
I'm not convinced this is true.

And I'll take your bonus points :) Country Bear Jamboree

ETA: what kind of bonus points did I win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter