I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and we all get the flu shot every year. Healthy people don't often understand how much herd immunity really matters.

This is so true. It's actually possible to follow the logic of the anti-vax movement if you are a generally healthy person, it's easy to believe that because you are healthy, everything is fine and vaccines are an unnecessary evil pushed by big pharma. We are of course all smart enough to know that isn't the case, but it's possible to follow the reasoning.

And yeah, I don't get the fervor over the flu shot. I got mine last week. I had a low grade fever for a day, felt a little achy and not great for a couple days. Happens every time I get the vaccine. It's just how my body reacts. People seem to think this is the full-blown flu and believe you me, if you've never had the flu, it's not.

I used to not get the flu shot when I was in my early 20s and thought I was invincible. When I was 25, I got the swine flu (remember that?), and I was out of commission for over a week. For the past 10 years, I'm very happy to feel a little off for a couple days after receiving the vaccine. I never want to feel like I did when I had the swine flu ever again. I thought I was never going to get better.

And, even more than that, I had chicken pox as a kid, and had shingles as an adult a few years ago. Shingles is the worst.

Get your vaccines. There's a reason they're recommended for everyone - because, trust me, they are 100% better than the alternative. Even if you're healthy, get your vaccines. Protect the herd.

I'm looking for saver awards on United for my flight back from Europe and there's nothing! Please tell me that availability gets better a little closer in. Right now I'm looking almost exactly 11 months out (calendar only opened yesterday).
Biz or economy? I've been seeing messy availability from EWR/PHL to Australia---biz savers on Tuesdays and maybe another day of the week, economy ranging from the used-to-be-normal 40K saver seats up to 100k! It's just nuts.
Get your vaccines. There's a reason they're recommended for everyone - because, trust me, they are 100% better than the alternative. Even if you're healthy, get your vaccines. Protect the herd.
amen!

This is so true. It's actually possible to follow the logic of the anti-vax movement if you are a generally healthy person, it's easy to believe that because you are healthy, everything is fine and vaccines are an unnecessary evil pushed by big pharma. We are of course all smart enough to know that isn't the case, but it's possible to follow the reasoning.

And yeah, I don't get the fervor over the flu shot. I got mine last week. I had a low grade fever for a day, felt a little achy and not great for a couple days. Happens every time I get the vaccine. It's just how my body reacts. People seem to think this is the full-blown flu and believe you me, if you've never had the flu, it's not.

I used to not get the flu shot when I was in my early 20s and thought I was invincible. When I was 25, I got the swine flu (remember that?), and I was out of commission for over a week. For the past 10 years, I'm very happy to feel a little off for a couple days after receiving the vaccine. I never want to feel like I did when I had the swine flu ever again. I thought I was never going to get better.

And, even more than that, I had chicken pox as a kid, and had shingles as an adult a few years ago. Shingles is the worst.

Well said! I used to never get the flu shot - who me? I don't get that sick. Two years ago I probably should have been admitted to the hospital as the flu was that bad, however it was over Christmas and we had company. It was the worst sickness of my life so I always swore I'll get the flu shot from now on. Got it last year and didn't have any side effects. Also no flu!

Hey all - I've been reading for a while but not posting, however I'm going to be more active now :)

Quick intro: Fam of 5, kids ages 18 (college), 15, and 13. We travel a lot, at least one international trip a year and several domestic. DH flies all week long for work and uses a Delta Amex for work - we get to keep the points :) . So we rarely pay for air travel or at least use miles to pay and it decreases the cost dramatically.

However, I've been very interested in CC rewards from this thread. In fact we just applied and got approved for the Capital One Venture card. Just waiting for it to arrive so I can put some big Christmas purchases on it to meet the min spend. Planning to use the miles for an international trip next summer.

Is there a post somewhere that lists out the different cards, rewards, things that are good for a newbie? I read the first page of this thread and learned a lot there - just wondering if I've missed something else along the way.

Thanks so much for having me! Looking forward to chatting with you all to get the best bang for our buck :)

Hey all - I've been reading for a while but not posting, however I'm going to be more active now :)

Quick intro: Fam of 5, kids ages 18 (college), 15, and 13. We travel a lot, at least one international trip a year and several domestic. DH flies all week long for work and uses a Delta Amex for work - we get to keep the points :) . So we rarely pay for air travel or at least use miles to pay and it decreases the cost dramatically.

However, I've been very interested in CC rewards from this thread. In fact we just applied and got approved for the Capital One Venture card. Just waiting for it to arrive so I can put some big Christmas purchases on it to meet the min spend. Planning to use the miles for an international trip next summer.

Is there a post somewhere that lists out the different cards, rewards, things that are good for a newbie? I read the first page of this thread and learned a lot there - just wondering if I've missed something else along the way.

Thanks so much for having me! Looking forward to chatting with you all to get the best bang for our buck :)

:welcome:

We will usually recommend to get Chase cards first. Chase Ultimate Rewards (URs) are easy to use and with multiple cards that get them, easy to accumulate. But Chase has a rule where they will not approve a card if you have gotten more than 5 cards in 24 months, so that is why we recommend getting those first. The best sign up for a Chase card right now is the business card, Chase Ink Preferred (CIP). It is a favorite here because you can earn so many points from it. Are you open to business cards?

Got back Monday from my 1st visit to my new FL home. All went well except that Comcast was a failure and AT&T couldn't schedule service either before I left. Switching to AT&T will get me a nice SW pnts bonus. Stopped at DVB to check out the beach post Dorian. I noticed a difference from when we were there in April but not as bad as it could have been. Our 3 bedroom cottage was still standing so that's good! Had a great flight back to Detroit on Delta. Decided that not going back to WDW until Nov 2020 was not acceptable so we booked 2 nights BWV 1 bedroom (surprised it was available) before our DVB trip in March. Happy to see Krogers has 4x on GC since I will be moving up the AP purchase to March. I will be applying for SW today, wish me luck. SW were the only 2 cards that I was not instantly approved on so it makes so nervous :( .

I think the Kroger fuel points promo this week is for dining and movie gift cards only, so Disney wouldn’t be included. At least that’s how it is in my area right now (Ohio). Maybe double check to make sure Disney is included in yours.

We all get our vaccines in my family.... Except the flu shot. We get that one off and on. Mostly off the last few years. I'm just not convinced of it's efficacy, so it's not a priority. And I have had influenza 3 times in my life. Twice I had the flu shot that year, and once when I didn't. It is very memorable, as you feel like death for a week. DS got swine flu, started getting symptomatic while we were in Disney. That was rough. Luckily the rest of the family avoided it.

We all get our vaccines in my family.... Except the flu shot. We get that one off and on. Mostly off the last few years. I'm just not convinced of it's efficacy, so it's not a priority. And I have had influenza 3 times in my life. Twice I had the flu shot that year, and once when I didn't. It is very memorable, as you feel like death for a week. DS got swine flu, started getting symptomatic while we were in Disney. That was rough. Luckily the rest of the family avoided it.

This is sort of one of the problems with the flu vaccine, I think. It's not a guarantee you won't get the flu. I can't remember the statistics from last year, but it was a particularly down year for the vaccine - it was something like only 40% preventable.

The flu virus changes every year and there are multiple strains. It's simply not possible to include them all in the vaccine, so the vaccine includes only what is thought to be the very worst and the most widespread strains. And we kind of hope for the best.

It's been proven that the vaccine can help keep you from getting the full-blown flu, but it may not stop you from getting it entirely. So what is it? Maybe one year you don't get the vaccine, you get the flu, but it's not a particularly virulent strain or your body is in a healthier place than it was in the past, and you're only out for 3-5 days. Or maybe you thought it was the flu, but it was actually a nasty viral cold. Know what the symptoms of a bad cold are? Fever, chills, respiratory issues, malaise...wait a second, that all sounds familiar.

It could be the same thing when you get vaccinated. Maybe that year you get the shot and it's a bad flu year, and you catch the flu but you're only down for 3-5 days (just like your no-shot year). But it could be the vaccine kept you from being down 1-2 weeks. You just never know.

This is sort of one of the problems with the flu vaccine, I think. It's not a guarantee you won't get the flu. I can't remember the statistics from last year, but it was a particularly down year for the vaccine - it was something like only 40% preventable.

The flu virus changes every year and there are multiple strains. It's simply not possible to include them all in the vaccine, so the vaccine includes only what is thought to be the very worst and the most widespread strains. And we kind of hope for the best.

It's been proven that the vaccine can help keep you from getting the full-blown flu, but it may not stop you from getting it entirely. So what is it? Maybe one year you don't get the vaccine, you get the flu, but it's not a particularly virulent strain or your body is in a healthier place than it was in the past, and you're only out for 3-5 days. Or maybe you thought it was the flu, but it was actually a nasty viral cold. Know what the symptoms of a bad cold are? Fever, chills, respiratory issues, malaise...wait a second, that all sounds familiar.

It could be the same thing when you get vaccinated. Maybe that year you get the shot and it's a bad flu year, and you catch the flu but you're only down for 3-5 days (just like your no-shot year). But it could be the vaccine kept you from being down 1-2 weeks. You just never know.

Exactly. I don't think the efficacy ever gets about 50%, and that's a good year. But that is determined by a positive influenza test, not by people thinking they still got the flu but having no idea. But I do agree that many people don't understand what influenza is. My mom will never get a flu shot because her mother got "violently ill" after her fist flu shot. With a GI bug. :rotfl2: I cannot convince her that a GI bug is not the flu. :D

ETA: I'm not anti-flu shot. Please, get your flu shot people. I'm just saying that there are valid reasons that people don't. ;)

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't think the efficacy ever gets about 50%, and that's a good year. But that is determined by a positive influenza test, not by people thinking they still got the flu but having no idea. But I do agree that many people don't understand what influenza is. My mom will never get a flu shot because her mother got "violently ill" after her fist flu shot. With a GI bug. :rotfl2: I cannot convince her that a GI bug is not the flu. :D

ETA: I'm not anti-flu shot. Please, get your flu shot people. I'm just saying that there are valid reasons that people don't. ;)
Yeah I have preschool and elementary aged kids, and the number of times I hear that some kid got the flu shot and still got the stomach flu twice!

Except that’s probably some strain of noro virus, not influenza. And there are so many of them you can get it more than once a winter.

Biz or economy? I've been seeing messy availability from EWR/PHL to Australia---biz savers on Tuesdays and maybe another day of the week, economy ranging from the used-to-be-normal 40K saver seats up to 100k! It's just nuts.

amen!
I'm looking for business. There looks to be quite a bit of economy availability at 30k. I may just have to buy economy. I think I will try to wait until next week to book. I just hope there's still availability for my other legs of the trip.

I was hoping to send you a PM to invite you to our private reddit group called DISchurners. You might want to check your DISboards settings because I'm unable to PM you :D That would be a nice resource for you though if you join!

I'm looking for business. There looks to be quite a bit of economy availability at 30k. I may just have to buy economy. I think I will try to wait until next week to book. I just hope there's still availability for my other legs of the trip.
I still have to book our return flights from Australia. Right now the first day with business saver availability is August 31 and the next is August 25---when one could book an economy flight for 40K on Sept 11! I need between Sept 20 and Sept 22 so I have a bit to wait.

DH was just approved for the SW performance Biz. Looking forward to those 80000 RR, since his account currently only has 3500 :oops:. And DH is looking forward to it because I told him that he can't charge the new iphone until it comes in. :D Luckily he has a tuition payment that is not due until the first week of Jan, so i'll be able to finish the MSR no problem that week. CP, here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter