I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thing.
I have mostly Marriott and they were collected because I go to the beach in Ocean City, Maryland in summer and Marriott has a number of options there. June, July and August the room costs for these Marriott hotels are anywhere in the $250 to $600 range, so paying $95-$150 (Brilliant $450 with $300 credit) annual fee for a FNC was cost effective.
However - Marriott threw a wrench into that plan with peak and off peak pricing, so it's less convenient now. I'll have to do more work to find nights.

I have the Amex line up - Bonvoy Brilliant, Bonvoy Biz and the legacy Spg/now Bonvoy personal card. This provides 2 of the 35K FNC and 1 of the 50K FNC.

I also have the Chase cards - Chase personal and the now defunct Chase business card and I get 2 of the 35K FNC from these.

So far, I've used or booked every night as soon as I got it. And I've at least doubled the value of the annual fee. (I booked the Aloft in OC last minute in August for son and girlfriend- room rate a couple days before was over $500 and with taxes almost $600). Felt great to be able to do this for my son and they had a terrific overnight visit. I'm also careful about watching for Chase and Amex offers that can be used to buy Disney gift cards at a discount. The Amex cards are paying their way in offers. The Chase personal card is contributing some - I've earned $54.24 back on the Chase personal card offers. Mostly Staples, Lowes, Starbucks and Advance Auto purchases. This offsets the annual fee along with the free night.

I think my best value card is the Hyatt, but that is because I have a Hyatt that I go to that the free night cert is good at it. The free night is good up until 15k points and the Hyatt in OC costs 15K points. I already have my FNC booked for July 2020 along with another couple of nights using points. If this rate changes, and I expect it will, since I like the hotel I'll continue to collect points and find another location to use the night. Chase offers have earned me $51.72 on this card and the annual fee on my card is $75, so that's a pretty inexpensive room. I think it was $450 before taxes for the past summer.

I have the IHG $49 card. I used my last unrestricted night in July and now I'm looking at 40K or less nights for $49. Actually $44 as I used a Chase offer and got $5. This FNC can again be used at the beach, but I'll have a choice of 2 HI Expresses there. I drive to Disney and there are lots of places I can stop for a $44 night with free breakfast. Not going to toss this card until the room choices become nonexistent.

I have the Radisson card which comes with points - 40K per year for $75. This works as a road trip card for me. I used to have a 15K option, so that was 2 and a half nights. Now that option is 28K - still works. @calypso726 keeps this card for European trips - she can better explain her choices.

I actually prefer the Radisson system of points - if I don't want to use them in any particular year, I can let them build up, plus since I was doing 15k nights with them for a few years, I've got a little stash waiting for when I need them.

This use is a personal thing - I'm retired and can go where I want when I want, but I still have a vacation pattern - Disney in fall and winter, beach in summer, beaches and Hilton Head in winter, and I book these up to a year in advance, so I usually find the rooms I want with points or free nights. Someone booking last minute is not going to find it so easy as most points redemptions are listed as standard rooms. If I ever find myself left holding a FNC that can't be used for greater value than the annual fee or extended and then used, I'll get rid of the card. I also have DVC so my free nights are road trip nights or beach nights. I also pay cash when the nights I want are cheaper than the value of the certificate or when I know I'm going to use the certificate somewhere later for a greater value.

I can foresee that my cards will become obsolete as new products are introduced and the points needed for a free night redemption goes up. Such as, who is going to want a new Marriott card if you can't redeem the night anywhere? So eventually they will have to offer cards with higher FNC redemption values. They've already started this with the 35K's and the 50K on the Brilliant, and you can no longer apply for the Marriott card that gave a 25K FNC. Problem is, as soon as they fixed the 25K problem, they created the peak, off peak, so they are really trying to restrict usage to less expensive nights. This messes up people with all their eggs ie travel plans, in one basket.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think IHG's 40K limit is still viable - the unrestricted was such an outstanding value that it may have set the bar higher than one should expect. That said by someone who used 5 or 6 of those unrestricted nights at $49 a pop, put no spend on the card, and usually got values in the $400 to $500 range.

I see free nights as another discount versus actually being free, and so long as they fit my way they are valuable to me. But I look at how they fit into my travel plans, not at how I can fit a plan around them. This all varies for everyone, so work it to suit you! The only decision I truly wince at is when someone closes the $49 card. I just wish I could give them $50 and use it to go see the wild ponies!

Future hotel cards for me: I app'ed for the Hilton Biz recently and got the pop up. I'll be trying again when some time has passed. I'll be looking to run through all the Hilton cards for the points, but unless they have usable free nights, I probably won't keep them.

@orangecuse - I also have a number of keeper hotel cards for FN certs. Chase Marriott, Chase IHG, Amex Marriott biz, Amex Marriott Brilliant, Amex Hilton Aspire, and as @Judique mentioned, the Club Carlson/Radisson card. I plan to get the Hyatt card next year once I am under 5/24 for the first time in 7 years. I am also working on possibly getting a second Aspire card.

The Radisson card is my go to card for free nights in Europe. There are a number of Radisson Blu properties all throughout Europe. The $75 AF comes with gold status and 40,000 points each card Anniversary. I let them pile up and so does DH. We stayed a couple of nights on points in Edinburgh last year and will use them for a night in Belfast and a night in Dublin next year. When I add up what the AFs have been and compared to the room redemptions, we have always come out far ahead of the fees.

New card alert: just grabbed the Detla Gold Biz 70k Skypesos for 4k spend. I'll take those, thanks very much.

DH bought $800 worth of butcher block countertops yesterday and thus I've met my Hilton free night/$15k spend requirement. 💪

(we're spending a fortune on our basement currently and I needed a new card. DH would not wait until November so I'm under 5/24.) :rolleyes2

Does anyone remember which site had Fanatics.com GCs at a very nice discount? DS “needs” another MBappe Jersey for Christmas.

I fell asleep early last night and missed all the Skyliner news. I've been reading various threads, forums, Facebook groups and tweets for two hours. I was crying laughing at one point. Not for the poor folks stranded. But for the image of people rioting after having to poop in a bag in front of strangers... and demanding free nights at The Contemporary for compensation.

Also, this does not deter me. I want to ride that thing so I hope it gets all fixed up and safe really soon! I logged in to my DVC portal... just waiting for my dates to open to pounce. I'm a September UY but I want to go next October.

I'll be booking late October next year, in line with my annual pass, that I'm starting this November. I definitely won't start my pass until at least Nov 4 and maybe, depending on what my guests want to do, as late as Nov 7th when they fly out. Not sure if they are going to do parks and they definitely don't have tickets yet. All of this is fine with me as 7 more full Disney days and 3 half ones before I leave. I'm almost hoping they don't do parks and I've got a whole bunch of stuff in mind, including seeing if they are interested in Hoop De Doo. Never been, and kind of vaguely curious. I've also got that Sea World and Busch Gardens ticket.

My hotel reservation dropped again, so it is now officially 100% covered between DHs Bonbon Brilliant credit and that $25 off $25+ anniversary credit offer.

I got my $25 credit staring at me everytime I open up the Amex Brilliant account, which is often! It's going to be there until I figure out something to buy on that card. I figured they would use it in conjunction with my 2 recent stays but no, they used my card credit instead.

I got my $25 credit staring at me everytime I open up the Amex Brilliant account, which is often! It's going to be there until I figure out something to buy on that card. I figured they would use it in conjunction with my 2 recent stays but no, they used my card credit instead.
I assumed it would stack, that's funny. I'm at $325.30 for my stay currently...

Sure thing.
I have mostly Marriott and they were collected because I go to the beach in Ocean City, Maryland in summer and Marriott has a number of options there. June, July and August the room costs for these Marriott hotels are anywhere in the $250 to $600 range, so paying $95-$150 (Brilliant $450 with $300 credit) annual fee for a FNC was cost effective.
However - Marriott threw a wrench into that plan with peak and off peak pricing, so it's less convenient now. I'll have to do more work to find nights.

I have the Amex line up - Bonvoy Brilliant, Bonvoy Biz and the legacy Spg/now Bonvoy personal card. This provides 2 of the 35K FNC and 1 of the 50K FNC.

I also have the Chase cards - Chase personal and the now defunct Chase business card and I get 2 of the 35K FNC from these.

So far, I've used or booked every night as soon as I got it. And I've at least doubled the value of the annual fee. (I booked the Aloft in OC last minute in August for son and girlfriend- room rate a couple days before was over $500 and with taxes almost $600). Felt great to be able to do this for my son and they had a terrific overnight visit. I'm also careful about watching for Chase and Amex offers that can be used to buy Disney gift cards at a discount. The Amex cards are paying their way in offers. The Chase personal card is contributing some - I've earned $54.24 back on the Chase personal card offers. Mostly Staples, Lowes, Starbucks and Advance Auto purchases. This offsets the annual fee along with the free night.

I think my best value card is the Hyatt, but that is because I have a Hyatt that I go to that the free night cert is good at it. The free night is good up until 15k points and the Hyatt in OC costs 15K points. I already have my FNC booked for July 2020 along with another couple of nights using points. If this rate changes, and I expect it will, since I like the hotel I'll continue to collect points and find another location to use the night. Chase offers have earned me $51.72 on this card and the annual fee on my card is $75, so that's a pretty inexpensive room. I think it was $450 before taxes for the past summer.

I have the IHG $49 card. I used my last unrestricted night in July and now I'm looking at 40K or less nights for $49. Actually $44 as I used a Chase offer and got $5. This FNC can again be used at the beach, but I'll have a choice of 2 HI Expresses there. I drive to Disney and there are lots of places I can stop for a $44 night with free breakfast. Not going to toss this card until the room choices become nonexistent.

I have the Radisson card which comes with points - 40K per year for $75. This works as a road trip card for me. I used to have a 15K option, so that was 2 and a half nights. Now that option is 28K - still works. @calypso726 keeps this card for European trips - she can better explain her choices.

I actually prefer the Radisson system of points - if I don't want to use them in any particular year, I can let them build up, plus since I was doing 15k nights with them for a few years, I've got a little stash waiting for when I need them.

This use is a personal thing - I'm retired and can go where I want when I want, but I still have a vacation pattern - Disney in fall and winter, beach in summer, beaches and Hilton Head in winter, and I book these up to a year in advance, so I usually find the rooms I want with points or free nights. Someone booking last minute is not going to find it so easy as most points redemptions are listed as standard rooms. If I ever find myself left holding a FNC that can't be used for greater value than the annual fee or extended and then used, I'll get rid of the card. I also have DVC so my free nights are road trip nights or beach nights. I also pay cash when the nights I want are cheaper than the value of the certificate or when I know I'm going to use the certificate somewhere later for a greater value.

I can foresee that my cards will become obsolete as new products are introduced and the points needed for a free night redemption goes up. Such as, who is going to want a new Marriott card if you can't redeem the night anywhere? So eventually they will have to offer cards with higher FNC redemption values. They've already started this with the 35K's and the 50K on the Brilliant, and you can no longer apply for the Marriott card that gave a 25K FNC. Problem is, as soon as they fixed the 25K problem, they created the peak, off peak, so they are really trying to restrict usage to less expensive nights. This messes up people with all their eggs ie travel plans, in one basket.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think IHG's 40K limit is still viable - the unrestricted was such an outstanding value that it may have set the bar higher than one should expect. That said by someone who used 5 or 6 of those unrestricted nights at $49 a pop, put no spend on the card, and usually got values in the $400 to $500 range.

I see free nights as another discount versus actually being free, and so long as they fit my way they are valuable to me. But I look at how they fit into my travel plans, not at how I can fit a plan around them. This all varies for everyone, so work it to suit you! The only decision I truly wince at is when someone closes the $49 card. I just wish I could give them $50 and use it to go see the wild ponies!

Future hotel cards for me: I app'ed for the Hilton Biz recently and got the pop up. I'll be trying again when some time has passed. I'll be looking to run through all the Hilton cards for the points, but unless they have usable free nights, I probably won't keep them.
Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing.

@snugglebug I know @striker1064 and @Judique answered pretty much everything but I would just point out that since you said your main goal is to have more room than the studio for your group of 5 the one bedroom at BWV would not work since it sleeps 4. Book Poly and then try to modify. BLT lake view or even AKV would be good options. It is week 48 and 49 which is cheap DVC points and a super popular time to go. Good luck!

@snugglebug I know @striker1064 and @Judique answered pretty much everything but I would just point out that since you said your main goal is to have more room than the studio for your group of 5 the one bedroom at BWV would not work since it sleeps 4. Book Poly and then try to modify. BLT lake view or even AKV would be good options. It is week 48 and 49 which is cheap DVC points and a super popular time to go. Good luck!
My understanding is that I can book for 5 (and DVC is allowing me), but must provide bedding. We will have an air mattress, not opposed to bringing 2. We've become quite creative with hotels over the years. We are currently 5 with the possibility of dropping to 4. As of now I should know in January what the military's plans are for next year.

I'm working on ranking my wish list of resorts. BWV was first when I was looking into 2bedroom and not even sure which month we wanted to go, now I think BLT is first. Eventually I will have stayed at all of the resorts, that's my plan.

This was all much easier when my kids were younger lol

Need a little CP help. Tried to check Reddit but can’t find the SW info (yes I suck at Reddit)
So I (DH) have a CP, added DS as Companion. We have flights to NOLA booked. Do I cancel DSs flights first then add him as companion or add as companion, then cancel his flights? Both flights are still available.
Then how do I deal with the $5.60 refund? Is it a credit I need to use after I cancel DSs flight?

Need a little CP help. Tried to check Reddit but can’t find the SW info (yes I suck at Reddit)
So I (DH) have a CP, added DS as Companion. We have flights to NOLA booked. Do I cancel DSs flights first then add him as companion or add as companion, then cancel his flights? Both flights are still available.
Then how do I deal with the $5.60 refund? Is it a credit I need to use after I cancel DSs flight?
Either way should work. I personally would add DS as CP first and then cancel his flights. If you booked with points, you will be able to get refund to your CC for the $5.60.

My understanding is that I can book for 5 (and DVC is allowing me), but must provide bedding. We will have an air mattress, not opposed to bringing 2. We've become quite creative with hotels over the years. We are currently 5 with the possibility of dropping to 4. As of now I should know in January what the military's plans are for next year.

I'm working on ranking my wish list of resorts. BWV was first when I was looking into 2bedroom and not even sure which month we wanted to go, now I think BLT is first. Eventually I will have stayed at all of the resorts, that's my plan.

This was all much easier when my kids were younger lol

BLT 1-bed gets you 2 full bathrooms. I'm a BWV lover (one of our 2 home resorts), but it's just me and my husband. With your group of 4-5, BLT or AKV Kidani (for the 2nd bathroom as well) would be my top choices.

DH's SPG has an upgrade offer, if I upgrade today will I he get the same card number? We leave for a trip on Friday and will need the new card benefitw for the trip.

Not sure if anyone answered. We just did this on my husband's card. We're using his current card until the new one arrives. I think the new card will have a different security code, but the old one should work until you activate the new one.

Also to note, after going through the upgrade, it took about 24 hours to switch over to the new version. I chatted to confirm that the upgrade offer was attached and asked if we could start spending right away. The chat rep told me to wait because it could take 24 hours to take effect. I waited until the card design switched over on the website/app.

@snugglebug
Just want to mention that yes, BWV 1 bedroom sleeps 4, but they will allow 5, just won't provide any extra bedding. Not sure if you are into the 'bring a small air mattress'. We have quite a few times in the past. Actually we've had a double sized air bed in the master.

Edit: I see you already have the info!
So my next comment is I also love BLT, and that one bedroom would have the extra bath. I get a night or two there when I can, but I'm the type that doesn't mind hopping resorts and rooms when I'm alone.
However, ages of your family - BW area has a lot more to offer just in the resort area, not to mention close to two parks for older kids/people. What dates are you trying for?

Last edited:
Either way should work. I personally would add DS as CP first and then cancel his flights. If you booked with points, you will be able to get refund to your CC for the $5.60.
I can’t figure a way to do this as I booked all 3 of us on the same reservation. So now I have to cancel the original res for 3 and rebook, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter