I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, call SW and they can take of it for you.

If you call, SW can unlink the reservations so you can adjust just one. I guess if the price is still the same you could cancel all 3 and rebook (not a SW expert so I don't know if there are other consequences to this, like maybe losing your early-bird place in line), but if the price has gone up you'll want to call.

@Judique thank you for your encouragement to finally join in here. So here goes

Me (44)
DH (48)
DS (12)
DD (10)

Obviously a family of Disney lovers. And I’m the financial person in the house. So I love all the bargains. However, as we all know Disney doesn’t typically equal bargain. Which led me to you guys. Who, by the way, blow me away with your creativity in the financial realm.

CC Stats- 2 player mode

P1 (Me)
Southwest Card 8/13
Barclay AA Aviator Red 9/19
Citi AA Biz 9/19
*1/24 (newbie feels)

P2
Southwest 8/13
CSP 8/19
Barclay Aviator AA 9/19
Citi Aa Biz 9/19
*2/24

We live in the Phoenix area so all of our flying with the kids has been on SW. And probably will be in the foreseeable future.

I’m accumulating AA points as DH and I are going to Italy October 2020 for our 25th anniversary. After looking at the available flights AA is our best option, and so far AA miles have been easy to come by. I think I might be the only person here using their miles for flights and not Disney. Haha!

After we have enough AA miles for our flights I’ll start working on Chase UR.

We plan to only get cards we can afford MSR with organic spend. So we’ll go slowly, but thanks to you all it should still cover most of our typical vacation expenses in a year.

And yes, I’m a Dental Hygienist :teeth:

No, I have the credit - they just applied it as a '-$25' credit after they zeroed out my Amex account balance with my Brilliant credit. I also have a $130ish remaining of the Brilliant credit but it's not available to spend on anything like the $25 now is.

And a little Bonvoy story:
I used a Marriott gift card for part of my charge at the Courtyard. This is the same hotel where last winter they cheerfully and knowledgeably took care of our bill using 2 gift cards I'd gotten for the credit and in conjunction with the $60 and $40 credits from that time.

Well, early in the morning - 6ish when I'm getting coffee - I go to the desk and what I believe was their night auditor told me to wait until after 7:30 when someone else would be in. (What if I wanted to check out?)
Anyway I waited and went to the desk after breakfast. This is not a busy place in the morning. People are sleeping in! So the desk clerk says, yes, let me do this, and she swipes the card and after a lot of messing around that I couldn't see on her terminal, she says there's something wrong with the cards. Told me to call Marriott. No manager on duty. Not sure they ever come in.
So, I go back to the room and call Bonvoy. The Bonvoy rep LAUGHS after I told her I first checked the card balances and they were still there, and says, 'She doesn't know how to do it, and she's trying to fake her way out of it.' I kid you not. So she gives me a number for the desk to call to 'walk her through it' and tells me to call back if I have any more problems. She spent several minutes talking with me and was very personable.

Back to the desk I go. Desk clerk continues to 'try' to figure it out, but after a few minutes she says, 'what was that number they said to call?' She got on the phone and eventually she was able to credit the card to my account. But during the whole process, she was all, the card is wrong, the system is down, the system won't take it, everything but 'I don't know how to do this, let me get some help.' She did stay nice and cheerful, but to the end, it was the computer's fault, lol. I was pretty amused by the whole episode, but many may have been furious. I just love my additional 20% off that I've gotten on $700 so far. Right now I'm still holding gift card money and credit money, so I won't collect a gift card for the credit unless I need to save it from expiry - I want to use all the gift card offers I can, while I can get them outside of the very easy to use credit. Also, if Marriott does an offer on that card, I can swoop it up with my credit by buying a gift card, for less money out of pocket.

Me (44)
DH (48)
DS (12)
DD (10)

Obviously a family of Disney lovers. And I’m the financial person in the house. So I love all the bargains. However, as we all know Disney doesn’t typically equal bargain. Which led me to you guys. Who, by the way, blow me away with your creativity in the financial realm.

CC Stats- 2 player mode

P1 (Me)
Southwest Card 8/13
Citi AA Biz 9/19
*1/24 (newbie feels)

P2
Southwest 8/13
CSP 8/19
Barclay Aviator AA 9/19
Citi Aa Biz 9/19
*2/24

We live in the Phoenix area so all of our flying with the kids has been on SW. And probably will be in the foreseeable future.

I’m accumulating AA points as DH and I are going to Italy October 2020 for our 25th anniversary. After looking at the available flights AA is our best option, and so far AA miles have been easy to come by. I think I might be the only person here using their miles for flights and not Disney. Haha!

We plan to only get cards we can afford MSR with organic spend. So we’ll go slowly, but thanks to you all it should still cover most of our typical vacation expenses in a year.

Looks like you are doing great!!!

Also wanted to add our SUB for Citi AA Biz is 60K/3K spend. Someone on here pointed out it’s now gone up to 75K/5K. I contacted Citi yesterday via chat and asked for a match. The CSR on my husband’s account said he would forward my request to marketing and I should have a response in 3-5 days. The CSR on my account said she couldn’t help me and gave me a phone # to call 🙄

Figure I’ll see what happens with DH account and try another chat for mine before I make the dreaded phone call. Ha!

@Lain - I wonder if this is where you 'should not buy an egift card'? Buying the $200 card for my $40 off offer got me 1200 bonvoy points - 6x hotel rate. I would only expect 400 2x rate with an egift card if I got them at all. And at your hotel, the gift card itself as payment doesn't generate points as you got it using the credit card already. You do get the 10x, just not the 6x at the hotel second time around.

MSR Sunday FAIL: needed to buy $300 worth of stuff for the basement project from Amazon. Used my temporary card number for the new Delta Gold Biz. Went for a run. During my run, got an alert from Google Pay that the charge went through... on my Hilton card. Logged in to Amazon and they used that as my backup payment. The Delta gold didn't go through. :scared:

I wonder if Amex has changed it so you can only use the early access card number for Delta purchases?

Contrary to popular opinion, I think IHG's 40K limit is still viable - the unrestricted was such an outstanding value that it may have set the bar higher than one should expect. That said by someone who used 5 or 6 of those unrestricted nights at $49 a pop, put no spend on the card, and usually got values in the $400 to $500 range.
I am in the same camp. I am not picky on where I stay most of the time outside of safe and clean! I am traveling to places I want to be at for the scenery and outdoor activities and rarely spent more time in the hotel other than sleeping and free breakfast!. Once I know where I am going, I'll look for rooms at a particular brand to use my free nights. In Vegas over spring break, it would not let me use my FNC on an expensive room on the strip. But my goal in Vegas is Valley of Fire and the airport. I found a nice HI for $200+ for the night that I am getting for $49 (AF). Not as good as the most expensive rooms but discounted is discounted. The other night, in the same hotel, I am using points.

I finally got some offers on that card so that will make it even more attractive. I am having DH sign up for the $89 version. Only regret is that I didn't get him one at $49.

Me (44)
DH (48)
DS (12)
DD (10)

CC Stats- 2 player mode

P1 (Me)
Southwest Card 8/13
Citi AA Biz 9/19
*1/24 (newbie feels)

P2
Southwest 8/13
CSP 8/19
Barclay Aviator AA 9/19
Citi Aa Biz 9/19
*2/24

Welcome to the thread! :) Looks like you're doing great! You aren't the only one using miles/points for flights instead of Disney. There are a few of us here doing just that. ;) I'm also trying to take it slow and just use organic spend (although I seem to have applied for far more cards than I ever thought I would in the past year). I guess all that organic spend just adds up. Good luck planning your trip. We have next summer's flights and hotels all booked on points, but not the cruise of course. I've flown to Italy using AA miles in the past (just took me far longer to earn those miles than it does now).

No, call SW and they can take of it for you.
And this is why I love Twitter. Tweeted at SW and they are pulling DS off our res and adding him as companion.
While I was at it, also tweeted at Hyatt about 2 res I booked, each one night, because I couldn’t book a free award night and a points night together. They combined the reservations into one.
Yay for Twitter.

If you call, SW can unlink the reservations so you can adjust just one. I guess if the price is still the same you could cancel all 3 and rebook (not a SW expert so I don't know if there are other consequences to this, like maybe losing your early-bird place in line), but if the price has gone up you'll want to call.
I ended up tweeting but the flights are still the same points price so I could have canceled and rebooked. I just didn’t want to mess anything up (or, you know, talk to an actual person)

I am in the same camp. I am not picky on where I stay most of the time outside of safe and clean! I am traveling to places I want to be at for the scenery and outdoor activities and rarely spent more time in the hotel other than sleeping and free breakfast!. Once I know where I am going, I'll look for rooms at a particular brand to use my free nights. In Vegas over spring break, it would not let me use my FNC on an expensive room on the strip. But my goal in Vegas is Valley of Fire and the airport. I found a nice HI for $200+ for the night that I am getting for $49 (AF). Not as good as the most expensive rooms but discounted is discounted. The other night, in the same hotel, I am using points.

I finally got some offers on that card so that will make it even more attractive. I am having DH sign up for the $89 version. Only regret is that I didn't get him one at $49.

I just spent more time then I want to admit booking a room for my trip south in November for the over night between here and Disney. I looked at all the available rooms between Florence, SC, and St Augustine, Fl. Settled on a room near Savannah but may change it. I'm using IHG points on that one.
But I was searching through all the Marriott, IHG and Radisson option's. I either have to know the hotel is safe and clean or it has to have good reviews. I saw a lot of 3+ properties. I settled for a new HI Ex with only 14 reviews (4.9) and 20K points or a $153 a night plus tax cost. My $49 free night would have worked here, but the Hi Ex in OC is well over $250 in summer and a 40K property, so points it was. I would have stayed in Jacksonville at a HI Ex I know is nice but they are already full for cash or points. That surprised me at a month out.

I had actually planned on doing the Westin on Hilton Head Island- yikes - they offered a points room (suite) for upgraded 93000 bonvoy points. Another suite was 180k. Usually it is 35k for a nice room. Otherwise they were full, cash or points. I've stayed here many times in past years so I'm guessing they are having an event. They are on the ocean, as are several other Marriott properties along there. I'm tempted to book the Mansion on Forsyth in Savannah, but I am not sure one night is enough and I didn't want to do 2 nights-120k (60 per night). Plus older daughter would be mad if I did it with friends and not her.

I regret not cajoling my youngest into getting the $49 card so I could use the night.

Last edited:
And this is why I love Twitter. Tweeted at SW and they are pulling DS off our res and adding him as companion.
While I was at it, also tweeted at Hyatt about 2 res I booked, each one night, because I couldn’t book a free award night and a points night together. They combined the reservations into one.
Yay for Twitter.
Awesome! So much easier than a call. I always book all of our flights separate in case I need to make changes. Or the points needed decreases and it is only for one seat, at least I get something back.

Thank you!
Not sure if anyone answered. We just did this on my husband's card. We're using his current card until the new one arrives. I think the new card will have a different security code, but the old one should work until you activate the new one.

Also to note, after going through the upgrade, it took about 24 hours to switch over to the new version. I chatted to confirm that the upgrade offer was attached and asked if we could start spending right away. The chat rep told me to wait because it could take 24 hours to take effect. I waited until the card design switched over on the website/app.
Thank you! In a moment of 3 glasses of wine I took the upgrade that had been sitting there for weeks. Now we have the CIP $5k and this MSR ($5k). Ugh... at least I know I can do most of the CIP via MS.
And the holidays season is here so I’ll have plenty of opportunities to easily hit the Amex MSR.

Thank you!
Not sure if anyone answered. We just did this on my husband's card. We're using his current card until the new one arrives. I think the new card will have a different security code, but the old one should work until you activate the new one.

Also to note, after going through the upgrade, it took about 24 hours to switch over to the new version. I chatted to confirm that the upgrade offer was attached and asked if we could start spending right away. The chat rep told me to wait because it could take 24 hours to take effect. I waited until the card design switched over on the website/app.
Thank you! In a moment of 3 glasses of wine I took the upgrade that had been sitting there for weeks. Now we have the CIP $5k and this MSR ($5k). Ugh... at least I know I can do most of the CIP via MS.
And the holidays season is here so I’ll have plenty of opportunities to easily hit the Amex MSR.

@snugglebug
Just want to mention that yes, BWV 1 bedroom sleeps 4, but they will allow 5, just won't provide any extra bedding. Not sure if you are into the 'bring a small air mattress'. We have quite a few times in the past. Actually we've had a double sized air bed in the master.

Edit: I see you already have the info!
So my next comment is I also love BLT, and that one bedroom would have the extra bath. I get a night or two there when I can, but I'm the type that doesn't mind hopping resorts and rooms when I'm alone.
However, ages of your family - BW area has a lot more to offer just in the resort area, not to mention close to two parks for older kids/people. What dates are you trying for?
Early December, late November or later December in that order as of right now.

We actually downgraded from air mattress to inflatable camping pad (Klymit) and a sleeping bag. Still a tad bulky, but much lighter. Only my girls will bed share and those days are officially over. They couldn't even share a bed on our last trip. Since we have away tournaments fairly often we have perfected our set up.

This trip would be 3 adults and 2 teens (one mid, one young) or 2 adults and 2 teens.

AK Jambo 2 bedroom was our very first DVC experience. I think Kidani is 3rd on my list right now.

Hi all - not Disney related (gasp) but thanks to this board we have accumulated over 300k URs from our CIPs, and later this week I'm looking to book an all inclusive family resort in Cancun (or anywhere tropical we can get on Delta with direct flights form Boston - I think Cancun is our best bet for that). Any recommendations? Trip will be April 2020, 5 nights for me, DH, DD11 and DD7. I'm looking at Finest Playa Mujeres, Moon Palace or Beach Palace (cannot book The Grand with URs right now). We need a room with a separate bedroom for us (so we are not in same room as the kids) - either 1 bed suite or the family suites at the Palace resorts (basically 2 combining rooms). We would also consider just booking 2 rooms if odds are good that we can get them adjoining. Can spend up to 60k URs per night. Thanks in advance!
(Also, if there is a better thread or forum for this, just let me know)

Hi all - not Disney related (gasp) but thanks to this board we have accumulated over 300k URs from our CIPs, and later this week I'm looking to book an all inclusive family resort in Cancun (or anywhere tropical we can get on Delta with direct flights form Boston - I think Cancun is our best bet for that). Any recommendations? Trip will be April 2020, 5 nights for me, DH, DD11 and DD7. I'm looking at Finest Playa Mujeres, Moon Palace or Beach Palace (cannot book The Grand with URs right now). We need a room with a separate bedroom for us (so we are not in same room as the kids) - either 1 bed suite or the family suites at the Palace resorts (basically 2 combining rooms). We would also consider just booking 2 rooms if odds are good that we can get them adjoining. Can spend up to 60k URs per night. Thanks in advance!
(Also, if there is a better thread or forum for this, just let me know)
The Hyatt Ziva Cancun gets good reviews. It’s 25k a night on the Hyatt site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter