I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have to chime in about reading because it's my favorite. I regularly read over 100 books a year. It's usually split about 50/50 with books I read to the kids for school and ones I read for myself. I only count books that have actual chapters when reading to the kids, so not picture books.
We haven't unpacked the books yet at this house because I'm waiting for DH to build me some built ins. We have thousands probably. I have to rotate them in and out from storage.
DD 13 is a natural speed reader. She reads so much and so fast I can't even pretend to keep up. One year she tracked over 350 books. She usually doesn't keep track because she moves on from one to another so fast. Not easy books either. I don't understand it but wish I could read like that!
Sounds like my dd19! Granted now that she's in college FT and works 25 hours a week, she doesn't have the time to read as much but she read hundreds of books a year (also a natural speed reader) when she was 13yo. Les Mis, Dickens, Homer and books of that caliber. I was always amazed cause I loved to read as a teen too but I was reading junk. I chalked it up to being a homeschooler but not really sure lol. We also have thousands of books. Almost every room in our 4000sqft house has bookshelves and they are loaded. I also have books I have no room for. I've been trying to prune what we have cause it's just overwhelming and there is no way my boys are going to read many of the books my girls read. But when I go to get rid of books, my dd19 begs me to just pack them up and put them in the attic so now I have an attic full of books 😆

Will you be there with him for the stay? If so, easiest thing would be to ask the front desk to put the stay under your Bonvoy number instead of his when you check in. Gold doesn't get you much, except maybe a slightly later check-out time. What brand is it? At most mid-tier Marriott properties there isn't much to upgrade to, and I had very little luck with upgrades when I was Gold (somewhat better at Titanium, but still not a sure thing). A good reason to make sure your number gets used is if you are trying to maintain gold status (or go for platinum) you will want to make sure you get credit for as many nights as possible. Gold does mean you get more points per $ on paid stays, so that is worth something too.
Yes, I’ll be there with him. I’ll put that in my notes to use my Bonvoy number instead of his. This is for next July at a Townplace Suites. I’ve never stayed at that brand. It would be better to have the nights credit to my account if possible. Thanks.

I didn’t love my Kindle at first but now I do. We literally have hundreds, maybe thousands, of books. In our last house, we converted the attached garage into a library. However, as you said books are cumbersome. I do a lot of reading at night, right before going to sleep. If I’m reading a book, not only is it harder to read while lying in bed, when I’m done I have to get up and turn the light off. Kindle solves that. Plus I never lack for books. Finish one, the next one is right there. No going to the shelf or library or bookstore. I probably read even more books now that I have a Kindle
I agree. I read on my Fire tablet. Before that the only reading I seemed to do was school reading for DS2 (vision issues make reading hard for him so I read aloud everything to him, these upper grade levels are going to kill me). Now that I can carry a book with me everywhere and have the next one in seconds I'm reading a lot more.

Sounds like my dd19! Granted now that she's in college FT and works 25 hours a week, she doesn't have the time to read as much but she read hundreds of books a year (also a natural speed reader) when she was 13yo. Les Mis, Dickens, Homer and books of that caliber. I was always amazed cause I loved to read as a teen too but I was reading junk. I chalked it up to being a homeschooler but not really sure lol. We also have thousands of books. Almost every room in our 4000sqft house has bookshelves and they are loaded. I also have books I have no room for. I've been trying to prune what we have cause it's just overwhelming and there is no way my boys are going to read many of the books my girls read. But when I go to get rid of books, my dd19 begs me to just pack them up and put them in the attic so now I have an attic full of books 😆
Sounds just like my house. Since the books are still packed she has been going through the boxes daily looking for what she wants. Oh, and DH having to move all those thousands of books......he was not super happy.
She reads that stuff too and then mixes it in with junk when she can't find anything else. I can't take any credit for it since so far she's the only one like that. My boys are both readers but not to that extent, my DD7 is definitely turning into a reader. DD3 I really think could be like her older sister. Books were her favorite baby toy and she "reads" next to her siblings when they are doing school.

Sounds just like my house. Since the books are still packed she has been going through the boxes daily looking for what she wants. Oh, and DH having to move all those thousands of books......he was not super happy.
She reads that stuff too and then mixes it in with junk when she can't find anything else. I can't take any credit for it since so far she's the only one like that. My boys are both readers but not to that extent, my DD7 is definitely turning into a reader. DD3 I really think could be like her older sister. Books were her favorite baby toy and she "reads" next to her siblings when they are doing school.
My kids are matched up...dd19 and ds11 are both heavy readers. Both taught themselves to read early (dd was 3 and ds was 4). Never needed any reading curriculum, loved being read to and books were their 'baby toys'. My other two...dd17 and ds8 are similar too...neither read early or taught themselves (I think ds8 is dyslexic so we are still battling and using a curriculum for kids with reading struggles) and my dd17 doesn't read much now. I think ds8 will be the same. It makes me sad but I recognize not everyone likes to read. We live in a society that values and places some kind of 'intelligence meter' on whether (and how much) you read and yet, there are many smart, contributing people who just aren't readers. My ds8 is a math wizard and has been doing mental math since he was 4. That is where he is gifted.

Sitting here being super fancy reading my Departures magazine. And by "reading" I mean flipping through looking at the cute pic of the dog making a mess on a rug ad. :rotfl:
I threw mine away when it came last week. I feel so bad that they send me those and I toss in the garage trash without ever taking them inside. You are saying there is stuff of interest?

My kids are matched up...dd19 and ds11 are both heavy readers. Both taught themselves to read early (dd was 3 and ds was 4). Never needed any reading curriculum, loved being read to and books were their 'baby toys'. My other two...dd17 and ds8 are similar too...neither read early or taught themselves (I think ds8 is dyslexic so we are still battling and using a curriculum for kids with reading struggles) and my dd17 doesn't read much now. I think ds8 will be the same. It makes me sad but I recognize not everyone likes to read. We live in a society that values and places some kind of 'intelligence meter' on whether (and how much) you read and yet, there are many smart, contributing people who just aren't readers. My ds8 is a math wizard and has been doing mental math since he was 4. That is where he is gifted.
Yes!! 💯!! So many different kinds of talents and skills. One of my goals as a mom has been to try and recognize the individual strengths each one brings to the table. Of course I want them all to read because I find such joy in it, and I will try my best to show them that, but it's not the be all end all.

I threw mine away when it came last week. I feel so bad that they send me those and I toss in the garage trash without ever taking them inside. You are saying there is stuff of interest?
I thought the same thing! They are very heavy and decent quality. HAHA no, there is absolutely nothing of interest in these to me. This is the second time I got it so I figured I would take a look. Now that I know my name/address is only on the outside, I will probably tear off the plastic and just automatically toss. I laugh at the brands and what is being advertised because I am soooo not the right target demo! The puppy was cute tho 😉

I thought the same thing! They are very heavy and decent quality. HAHA no, there is absolutely nothing of interest in these to me. This is the second time I got it so I figured I would take a look. Now that I know my name/address is only on the outside, I will probably tear off the plastic and just automatically toss. I laugh at the brands and what is being advertised because I am soooo not the right target demo! The puppy was cute tho 😉
I laugh too the flipping through i do from the mailbox to the trash can as I think...do these people have a clue what brands I buy??? Hello? I shop at Target and Kohls and Amazon. Not a fancy-schmancy bone in my body. EVER lol!!!!

Okay...other than my want of a Dooney. But that is it!

I laugh too the flipping through i do from the mailbox to the trash can as I think...do these people have a clue what brands I buy??? Hello? I shop at Target and Kohls and Amazon. Not a fancy-schmancy bone in my body. EVER lol!!!!
Yes! Maybe a designer collaboration at Target if I am feeling FaNcY! When I saw the diamond encrusted Cartier watch on the back I knew it would be funny to browse! Is this what Amex expects me to buy with it's cards? Now I understand the generic biz plat MSR!!

If my dh gets denied for the 3rd time, I'd done. Seriously not worth the hassle.
You have more persistence than me! I can't imagine my stats are going to get much better any time soon. Well, maybe if everything else dies and I haven't got a card in 6 months I'll try again. Never say never, but next time I say I'm trying for Barclays someone should talk me out of it!

Yes! Maybe a designer collaboration at Target if I am feeling FaNcY! When I saw the diamond encrusted Cartier watch on the back I knew it would be funny to browse! Is this what Amex expects me to buy with it's cards? Now I understand the generic biz plat MSR!!

So where does my citizen watch with a pink pearly face and tiny diamonds around it put me? Really the lady sold me on it because it's solar and never needs a battery. I was replacing the batt in my fossil watch at least once a year, it was nuts. Best 350ish I ever spent too. Used part of a bonus from work almost 10 years ago and wear it almost every day so my price per wear is less than a penny and no batteries!

So where does my citizen watch with a pink pearly face and tiny diamonds around it put me? Really the lady sold me on it because it's solar and never needs a battery. I was replacing the batt in my fossil watch at least once a year, it was nuts. Best 350ish I ever spent too. Used part of a bonus from work almost 10 years ago and wear it almost every day so my price per wear is less than a penny and no batteries!
That is easily a justifiable purchase! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter