I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH just used the centurion lounge in Miami and my plan to cancel the platinum when the AF posts is getting some resistance. Lol. Im not sure with the loss of the gift certificates it makes any financial sense anymore.

DH just used the centurion lounge in Miami and my plan to cancel the platinum when the AF posts is getting some resistance. Lol. Im not sure with the loss of the gift certificates it makes any financial sense anymore.

I can't tell you whether it does or not, but when I was figuring out if I should keep the 3 AUs I looked at 2 big items-skyclub (or you can fill in centurion lounge) access and Amex Offers.

If my 3 AUs used Skyclub more than 6 times in one year, we'd break even. In 5 months Skyclub has been used 7 times, Centurion Lounge twice. Amex offers savings for the past 5 months total $360 between the 3, so it's clear when I renew that AUs more than make up the cost.

As for me, I think the $100 Saks credit and the airline credit which I probably use half to all of it now decreases the OOP to at least $350 if not $300 and I've saved about $100 in amex offers over the past 5 months, taking OOP to $200-$250. How much do I value Centurion Lounge? Eh, maybe $100. Marriott and Hilton gold? Around $50, so now I'm looking at the value of the card for $100. When I factor in 5x MRs on flights paid with cash then the card makes sense to me, for now.

Anyway, those are the parameters I examine every May when deciding whether to keep or pc my platinum.

Last edited:
DD13 just got a job and is able to have direct deposit. So I'm trying to open a checking account for her to get a bonus, but am not succeeding. After calling Chase and being told yes, getting DH to go with her (because I already have one), they were not able to open an total checking account because she is a minor. They could only open a school account (no bonus). Nor could they have DH open an account jointly with her. I'm guessing the answer is yes, but do the names on the payroll check and checking account have to match? Or could I just have DH open the account and use her DD to trigger the bonus? I'm about ready to give up and just go to our local bank and get her an account there.

@momincolorado not quoting so you can edit but based on what you said

I’d think CIP for P1 is a good idea. For P2 what about the Amex BBP for the expenses you need to keep at 0%? Amex BBP won’t affect your 5/24 count or your chase timing and it has no bonus you won’t need to worry about spend, but its a good card to have for just 2% earning on MRs and has 0% for 12 months. Then, you could get P2 a SW biz at the end of Oct (since chase won’t see the BBP) to work toward the CP for 20/21. (Remember to hit the MSR after Jan!). I think the SW elevated bonus ends mid Oct so you couldgo for that for P2 right around then (Oct 16th I believe).

DD13 just got a job and is able to have direct deposit. So I'm trying to open a checking account for her to get a bonus, but am not succeeding. After calling Chase and being told yes, getting DH to go with her (because I already have one), they were not able to open an total checking account because she is a minor. They could only open a school account (no bonus). Nor could they have DH open an account jointly with her. I'm guessing the answer is yes, but do the names on the payroll check and checking account have to match? Or could I just have DH open the account and use her DD to trigger the bonus? I'm about ready to give up and just go to our local bank and get her an account there.
We were never able to open chase accounts for our dd’s with a bonus attached either. They were 16yo and 14yo. Dh and I were opening our own with them so we got a bonus but not the girls.
Congrats on the job for your dd!!

@alryan I don’t think so? My husband had his paycheck going into an account with just my name for years. I’d ask the employer to be sure they don’t care.

I've always just moved my DD around for bank bonuses in DHs name with no issues, including Chase.

Congrats to your DD! That's exciting (at least it was for me when DD14 got a job this summer)! I plan to open up a Roth for DD with her money, but because she's a minor either DH or I need to be custodian of the account. It's tricky to get a checking account for minors, and I didn't find one that had a bonus. Most places they need to be 18 to open an account on their own.

We were never able to open chase accounts for our dd’s with a bonus attached either. They were 16yo and 14yo. Dh and I were opening our own with them so we got a bonus but not the girls.
Congrats on the job for your dd!!
@alryan I don’t think so? My husband had his paycheck going into an account with just my name for years. I’d ask the employer to be sure they don’t care.
Thanks, my DD spends money as soon as she gets it so she wanted to get a job. This first one is just for three months at an apple orchard making caramel apples. But we found out that at 14 she can work at the Y at their drop in daycare so she will apply for that when she turns 14 next month. Thanks @amalone1013 I think I'll go for it, just open in DH's name and use her DD. Or use mine if needed. Mine is easy to change and I can split it three ways, so as long as the amount isn't too high this should open up new possibilities for bank bonuses. Thank you!!

Congrats to your DD! That's exciting (at least it was for me when DD14 got a job this summer)! I plan to open up a Roth for DD with her money, but because she's a minor either DH or I need to be custodian of the account. It's tricky to get a checking account for minors, and I didn't find one that had a bonus. Most places they need to be 18 to open an account on their own.
Thanks, very exciting. Especially since it means she can get a phone. She wasn't suppose to get one until high school, but since she wanted to get a job I said if she can save money we could move it up. So her phone is coming tomorrow and she is beyond excited! And good to know about the Roth, I was thinking I'd like to get her started with that as well.

Dh just told me that since AC is moving their (horrible) Rouge fleet to W. Palm Beach in November (they flew "real" planes here until the spring when they stop landing here for the summer) effective November. He had already booked his flights with them for the next 6 months, so he cancelled all of them and is now moving his business to AA. Sad day for me as I have made extensive use of his Aeroplan miles. However at the rate he accumulates AA miles I should be able to get some decent flights when I need them and maybe some sweet hotel stays (already booked 1 room with AA miles at the JW Marriott in Lima for 3 nights for ds -- dd and I have our own room).

He is rather fussy as it's a 1 hour drive to MIA and 25 minutes to PBI; yet he'd rather drive to MIA (and get "real business class" on AA) than take a Rouge "premium economy" seat on an AC plane. Apparently AA is giving him Concierge Key and also the American Pass (can't remember the actual name) that gives him all sorts of benefits, for making the switch to AA. I'd still rather take the shorter drive to PBI or FLL, but I don't fly as often as he does (and I also hate Rouge).

He still has his AmEx Aeroplan Plat card that he uses for his business expenses in Canada, so I'll still get plenty of Aeroplan miles, but not nearly as many as before. Boooo :(

Last edited:
I can't tell you whether it does or not, but when I was figuring out if I should keep the 3 AUs I looked at 2 big items-skyclub (or you can fill in centurion lounge) access and Amex Offers.

If my 3 AUs used Skyclub more than 6 times in one year, we'd break even. In 5 months Skyclub has been used 7 times, Centurion Lounge twice. Amex offers savings for the past 5 months total $360 between the 3, so it's clear when I renew that AUs more than make up the cost.

As for me, I think the $100 Saks credit and the airline credit which I probably use half to all of it now decreases the OOP to at least $350 if not $300 and I've saved about $100 in amex offers over the past 5 months, taking OOP to $200-$250. How much do I value Centurion Lounge? Eh, maybe $100. Marriott and Hilton gold? Around $50, so now I'm looking at the value of the card for $100. When I factor in 5x MRs on flights paid with cash then the card makes sense to me, for now.

Anyway, those are the parameters I examine every May when deciding whether to keep or pc my platinum.

I have to sit down and do this calculation also. This year, I will probably use about half of the gift certificates. I'm not sure about the amex offers. It's a conundrum.

In light of AA I decided to see what my NFCU card offered. Happy to report that you can book Disney resorts via NFCU credit card points. I'll have to let my big kids know that. I did not see park tickets. I wish I could combine points between cards, but I don't see that as an option. Getting a new card with NFCU right now is not an option for me.

The Navy Federal More Rewards Amex currently has a 30k bonus after a $3k spend in 90 days for those eligible.

It appears all resorts are available. This screenshot is for Dec 7, 2020
GYxvbYG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter