• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone who does this often tell me if this is normal??

I am simply poking around some websites for the Hilton Tokyo Bay from November 10- November 14 (this year... I am just looking to get an idea for next year).

4 nights for just a standard double room at 66,000 Hilton Honors Points is a total of 264,000 Hilton Honors points for the 4 nights.

Comparatively for the same room type, it would only be 15,280 Chase URs per night for a total of 73,721 Chase URs for the 4 nights.

This is the first time I've compared two "currencies" side by side. Does this seems normal to you all?

Wow, ok thank you. I guess I am just surprised at the difference between the number of HH points needed vs the number of URs needed, for the exact same thing.

HH points and URs are not an equal value, so you can't look at it that way. Sometimes HH points required are too high for the cash price and other times you get a good value out of them. I always have to compare the points required to the cash rate and make a decision. I would never use URs for it, but we always have loads of HH points, so that is why.
To maximize value of your HH points, you always want to book a standard room reward and for 5 nights. Your 5th night is free on points.

:offtopic:

I have a couple days for our trip next week where I plan to parkhop between HS and Epcot. I'm planning to start our day at HS on Monday and then have a 12:40 lunch reservation at Teppan Edo. How long would you guys say I need to give us to leave HS and take the boat to Epcot. If I'm walking out of HS at noon, do you think that's enough time? Or leave a little earlier?
I just did this a couple times to get my epcot scans for the coasters. It takes a lot longer than you'd think. I suggest getting off the boat at BC and walking from there to save some time.

I need ya'll to decide my resort again. :rotfl2:

Going right after Thanksgiving for 5 nights thanks to getting SW flights so cheap. :yay:
Myself and the 3 littles. DD20 won't commit one way or another.

I have Pop booked on the AP rate. It is about $300 more for CBR...which just became available. As you can imagine availability is limited. I want to be on the skyliner line and this is what is available.

Neither resort excites me very much. Pop gets a lot of love here. I wasn't impressed when we walked over there recently, but it is a value, so...

What would you choose?

I need your help again!

My annual fee has come due for AmEx again. In 2017 I applied for the Business Gold Rewards card for 75,000 MR with no annual fee for the first year. When the annual fee was due, I referred myself to the Biz Green Card that also had the annual fee waived for the first year. Now, the annual fee is due for the Bus Green Card. I honestly don't use MRs much at this time and honestly cashed out for gift cards to use the majority of my points. I have about 2,000 points left and am thinking about just spending them through Amazon and closing the card possibly.

I called and they said I couldn't transfer to a no fee card - they said that basically I'd need to apply for a new card, transfer my points and then cancel the green card. Does that sound right? Also, are there any downsides to just cancelling the card and being done with AmEx for awhile?

Thanks!

Going right after Thanksgiving for 5 nights thanks to getting SW flights so cheap. :yay:

I have Pop booked on the AP rate. It is about $300 more for CBR...which just became available. As you can imagine availability is limited. I want to be on the skyliner line and this is what is available.

Neither resort excites me very much. Pop gets a lot of love here. I wasn't impressed when we walked over there recently, but it is a value, so...

What would you choose?
I would for sure pick pop with the renovated rooms. We went to CBR recently and switched to a new resort because the room smelt musty and the lighting was really dim

I need your help again!

My annual fee has come due for AmEx again. In 2017 I applied for the Business Gold Rewards card for 75,000 MR with no annual fee for the first year. When the annual fee was due, I referred myself to the Biz Green Card that also had the annual fee waived for the first year. Now, the annual fee is due for the Bus Green Card. I honestly don't use MRs much at this time and honestly cashed out for gift cards to use the majority of my points. I have about 2,000 points left and am thinking about just spending them through Amazon and closing the card possibly.

I called and they said I couldn't transfer to a no fee card - they said that basically I'd need to apply for a new card, transfer my points and then cancel the green card. Does that sound right? Also, are there any downsides to just cancelling the card and being done with AmEx for awhile?

Thanks!
The BBP is a good no-fee card you could open and transfer your MRs over to. The amex offers are often good enough to me to keep the card open.

I would for sure pick pop with the renovated rooms. We went to CBR recently and switched to a new resort because the room smelt musty and the lighting was really dim
Can you compare the food between the two? The AofA food was depressing, and we walked to pop and their menu was basically the same.

Of course, CBR has the internal bus situation :sad2: but that is somewhat alleviated by the skyliner.

I need your help again!

Thanks!
Is there a reason you don't just get a BBP and park them there? The BBP has no AF and all of your MRs pool together.

What would you choose?
I would also vote for Pop! Less money, renovated rooms, smaller resort than CBR, no internal busses for parks not on the Skyliner, and you can always walk over to AoA and explore since your DD really liked it. You are also on the Skyliner now so all dining and shopping at CBR, Riviera, and the Boardwalk area are within reach!

The major pro with CBR and the Skyliner is no transferring for you since it is the main hub. I think that is a minor pro in comparison.

What would you choose?
Beach Club...

:rotfl2: 😂

Hi Everyone! I'm about 70 pages behind and I'm probably never going to catch up. I'll check Dischurners for highlights perhaps.
I wanted to jump on here with a couple of questions... I got an upgrade offer for my (former Amex SPG) Bonvoy for a Brilliant Bonvoy with 125K points after 5K spend in 3 months. That's a good deal, right? I'm finishing MSR on the Hilton Biz right now.
I also wanted to ask about keeping spend on Amex cards to keep them happy. Is it just certain cards or is it all of them? I have the Delta Gold that I haven't used since meeting MSR.

Can you compare the food between the two? The AofA food was depressing, and we walked to pop and their menu was basically the same.

Of course, CBR has the internal bus situation :sad2: but that is somewhat alleviated by the skyliner.
I would say their food court food is pretty standard. I’m very simple though so a slice of pizza or chicken nuggets works fine for me. We also don’t eat at the resort much.

Besides United points, what is the best point currency to use with United? MRs or URs?

I am curious if MRs are valued more because of the ability to transfer to other airlines for more expensive fares OR if URs are valued more because of the 1.5x with CSR and ability to cash out 1:1?

Or is this more of a situational thing? For example if you aren’t traveling internationally should you use MRs this way? Just wondering if I should be referring for Amex cards and MRs for those first class flights I want to book in Nov for Oct 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter