I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT but DD turns 16 in < 2 weeks. I'm getting her a used car. I like Hondas (my last four vehicles have been Hondas--an Accord, a Pilot, and two Odysseys). So I gave her the following criteria: <50,000 miles, <$14,000, 2016 or newer, rated as a good or great deal, no accidents. Everything was going fine then this week her dad started telling me we should get her a Subaru (I'm paying). Now dd is asking for a Ford Escape, Honda Fit, Honda CRV, Ford Focus, etc. Can someone please tell me what the heck is wrong with a Honda Civic?:mad:
I went through this exact thing with DD20. Options were Toyota or Honda. She threw a fit. Wanted a used BMW and other crazy things. I held my ground and she got the used accord. Then when she went to college and we needed to upgrade her we bought her a new corolla. She pitched a fit then too, but too bad. My money, my call. You can pick the color.

I went through this exact thing with DD20. Options were Toyota or Honda. She threw a fit. Wanted a used BMW and other crazy things. I held my ground and she got the used accord. Then when she went to college and we needed to upgrade her we bought her a new corolla. She pitched a fit then too, but too bad. My money, my call. You can pick the color.

At least she got to pick the color. My first car was bought for me no input but it was fine and I liked it. Second car was picked for me but I got to test drive and ok even though 1k of my money was going into it. Looked at some others that day but it was pretty much it's this or nothing. My 3rd car and the one I still have was all me though.

OT but DD turns 16 in < 2 weeks. I'm getting her a used car. I like Hondas (my last four vehicles have been Hondas--an Accord, a Pilot, and two Odysseys). So I gave her the following criteria: <50,000 miles, <$14,000, 2016 or newer, rated as a good or great deal, no accidents. Everything was going fine then this week her dad started telling me we should get her a Subaru (I'm paying). Now dd is asking for a Ford Escape, Honda Fit, Honda CRV, Ford Focus, etc. Can someone please tell me what the heck is wrong with a Honda Civic?:mad:

Sounds like my older daughter at age 16. I had a 10k budget and back then you could find a new car for that. Eventually she got nothing and a couple of years later her Dad gave her an older but reliable car, and once she was 21 we shopped for her VW Beetle (her choice at the time but by then she was paying for it herself, mostly.) She now tells the story about how Mom was ready to buy her a new car and she blew it.

Fast forward to my younger daughter who was much easier to buy with. She saved a substantial down payment and bought a Civic. It's six years old and in excellent condition still and she loves it, although lately she expressed mild interest in a Tesla. She can afford to buy that if she wants, but I doubt she will right away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Avengers Campus will be open for your trip! Disneyland tends to time the launch of their new lands and attractions for Memorial Day weekend to kick off the summer season. So...🤞

That would be so awesome! SWGE this year, Avengers next year! Might also make DH a little more excited for the trip since he's a Marvel fan. It's so exciting all of the changes and additions coming to DLR, WDW, and UO in the coming years!

@Lain - do you go to WDW? Just curious. I remember you talking about DL but not WDW.

Honda all the way! No domestic cars. I've seen one that lasts as long as a Korean/Japanese car or doesn't have a ton of problems along the way. I had a Lexus before and loved it and drove it to 265k miles. DH had a Jeep that his brother is still driving, but it has a million problems, the least of which is the passenger side door that hasn't opened from the inside in ten years. We both have Hyundais now with 125k miles on them and we like them. I'm hoping to get DH a used CRV over the winter if I can find a good deal. I'd like to drive my car another 100k miles, but plan to get either a Honda or Toyota when I'm done.

After all the wait I was told that tthe"official" their quotes not mine, sometimes have this problem and I can make mt fps on the 2nd. Then he told me to set my alarm which is just rude. Needless to say he didn't get all 5s like I normally give on the survey.

I really don't want to call and deal with cs again, if I could get to the people that can actually fix it I would. But I think I'll just wait.

@mom2elal - I want to thank you again for the tip on those discounted Hamilton tickets!

We saw last night's show, and it was brilliant! My wife loved the show and thought it was so clever and funny. I thought the lyrics and dialogue were sharp and cutting, timely in that many of the political conflicts from the founding of our country are still with us today, people continue to be flawed creatures with jealousies, agendas, pride and weaknesses, the music sticks with you even as the performers sing and rap so fast you try to grasp at every other word, and the performances were full of passion and energy. Loved loved LOVED King George III! Also the duo of Jefferson and Madison! Man, I hated the Jefferson character, but Simon Longnight played him like the flamboyant Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element, and his beanpole figure next to Brandon Louis Armstrong's much rounder Madison made for a hilarious pair whenever they shared the stage!

It's been years since my wife and I caught a Broadway show. Last night reminded us how much we love and missed live musical theater. There's an energy to a live performance, with all the costuming, music, lighting and physical moving sets, and of course the actors, that can't be replicated on screen. This was my daughter's first show! My girl was wide-eyed and at the edge of her booster seat for the whole first half of the show, but the poor thing couldn't quite make it through the second half. Probably a good thing, since I won't have to explain the whole Reynolds affair, or that the star of the show
DIES

THANKS AGAIN!

Glad you got to see it and that you all liked it. I hope you have the soundtrack -- I listened to the soundtrack a lot before we saw it and I think if I hadn't, there's no way I would have understood all of the numbers. I still listen to it a lot and hope that we'll get to see it again someday.

Ugh -- teens and cars has to be one of the worst parenting experiences. We managed to avoid this situation by passing down my and DH's cars to our kids when they needed them and then we bought new ones. Undoubtedly not the most economical solution, but we buy Toyotas, so not the most outrageous plan either. Neither DH nor I know anything about cars, plus the kids knew that if they wanted their own car, they were getting whatever was our oldest, so no arguing about what kind they wanted. The only deviation was when MIL gave us her Mazda because she decided she wasn't going to drive anymore (a wise decision actually). My daughter had the Mazda for a while and now she lives where she doesn't need a car so I drive it occasionally. It has held up well and I'm actually thinking our next new car might be a Mazda.

OK so, I just looked at the statements for a bunch of Florida airports and MCO is the only one with a scheduled closing planned. WTH?

I don't underatand why they jumped on it so early. The airlines don't need the airport to close to move planes out or cancel flights.

Glad you got to see it and that you all liked it. I hope you have the soundtrack -- I listened to the soundtrack a lot before we saw it and I think if I hadn't, there's no way I would have understood all of the numbers. I still listen to it a lot and hope that we'll get to see it again someday.

Yes! I downloaded the soundtrack this morning. The lyrics are much clearer on digital than in the theater, but now I get to replay the performances on stage in my mind while listening to the songs through my earphones. I didn’t have trouble following the story; I read Ron Chernow’s biography a few years ago so I’m familiar with Hamilton’s life. But hearing all the lyrics just deepens my appreciation for how sharp the “battle” songs are, and songs with Eliza and Angelica, and Dear Theodosia, are tugging at my heartstrings.

I am thinking about a similar trip. I booked a flight to Sacramento using SW and CP. We are staying there to visit family for a couple of days. Then planning to go to Mauii for a week and return to San Francisco for a couple of days to break up the trip on the way home. Haven't booked anything yet for the return because the booking window isn't open that far out yet for SW. So I am not sure if we will go SW or Hawaiian.
We decided to use URs to fly nonstop Boston to Honolulu. We are thinking of doing a northern California trip separately next month and will use SW points and CP for that.

Just a few things you should know that may put you off from getting an Amex Platinum card. It’s a personal card, so it will add to your */24 count with Chase, but you’ve been sticking to biz cards and your count was low to begin with (and I think a card or two may have dropped off since you started). The personal Platinum cards also carry a $550 annual fee.

:scared1:

So why do we get this card?!

Well, if you’re completely new to Amex, they tend to target new customers with a 100k Membership Rewards Points offer after spending $5k in 3 months. This is what we call the Platicorn. The only way to get this offer is to be targeted by Amex via their website, mailer, or on Cardmatch. (And since Amex SUBs are generally once per card product per lifetime, you’ll want to always try to apply only for the highest and best offers.) However, don’t try to tempt this offer until you’re ready to apply because if you somehow manage to pull it up and don’t apply right then and there, you may never see the Platicorn offer again.

So what is 100k MR worth? Amex’s Membership Rewards points are a lot harder to understand and place a value on than Chase’s Ultimate Rewards points. A MR point is worth only 0.6 cents as a statement credit, 0.7 cents on Amazon, about 0.8 cents when booking hotels through Amex Travel, 1 cents when booking flights through Amex Travel and select hotels through the Fine Hotels & Resorts programs, and 1.25 cents if you later get an Amex Charles Schwab Platinum card and cash out to a Charles Schwab account. We never advise spending MR points at less than 1 cent per point value. So, a 100k MR SUB should be worth no less than $1,000.

Amex MR is a transferrable currency like Chase UR. Amex has their own group of airline and hotel transfer partners to which you can transfer MR to the airline or hotel’s miles or points. So diversifying your points with Amex MR, in addition to Chase UR, gives you access to more options in airlines and hotels to get where you want to go. Amex also runs transfer bonuses to many of their partners a lot more frequently than Chase, so a 25% transfer bonus would be if you transferred 1,000 MR to an airline that typically transfers 1:1, the bonus would result in 1,250 miles. Remember I said MRs transfer to VS? Amex MRs also transfer to ANA (although you can’t really combine miles from the two airlines to buy one ticket, but you could transfer MR points from Amex to VS if you’re short UR points from Chase to VS). Partner transfers are where you can get outsized value from your points and Amex has some really good airline partners (not so much with their hotel partners). By comparison, travel portals like the Chase UR portal or Amex Travel will use your points at a fixed redemption rate and you can’t extract more value out of that.

If the AF on the card is $550 and the SUB is worth $1,000, that’s pretty good, but that $1,000 is in the form of points that aren’t easily cashed out and you may not have an immediate redemption in mind. How else can you justify the high AF?

The Amex Platinum includes a $200/calendar year airline credit that can be used for incidental fees, like seat upgrades, baggage fees, in-flight amenities, etc. You need to “select” your airline to use the credit on. It used to pretty easy to spend this credit on gift cards, but Amex put a stop to that a month or two ago. It’s still possible to buy cheap flights on certain airlines and get credited that way. Or you can use the credit like it was intended for on incidental fees. The thing about this $200 airline credit is it’s a calendar year benefit, so you can double dip, and potentially triple dip the credit if you time your application right. This means you can get $400-$600 worth of airline fee credits by paying just one $550 AF.

There’s also a $100 Saks 5th Avenue credit that’s divvied up $50 in January-June and $50 in July-December. I’m not a Saks kinda guy, but you can usually find cosmetics at Saks for the same price you’d find at Macy’s or anywhere else. I bought a nice S’well water bottle with one semi-annual credit, some Christmas presents for my niece and nephew with another credit, and I used this semi-annual credit towards a really nice Miyabi chef’s knife. I always stack the credit with other promo codes and high shopping portal (Ebates/Rakuten) payouts to maximize value.

And there’s the $200 Uber credit, divvied up $15/month and $30 in December. If you use Uber, at home or on vacation, this is a nice savings. If you don’t use Uber, you can use it towards a meal delivered or for pick up via Uber Eats. Always stack with discount codes and pick up if you can to minimize fees.

A lot of people don’t value these credits at exactly face value, since Amex makes them hard to use and you may find yourself spending money you otherwise wouldn’t have spent to get the value out of those credits. It’s up to you how you want to assign value to these benefits and weigh it against the $550 AF.

The Platinum card is definitely a perks card. My favorite perk is access to the Centurion Lounge. We fly out of SFO (moreso now with travel hacking) and often fly United in Terminal 3 (where the Centurion Lounge is), so it’s super convenient for us to grab a hot meal, coffee, tea, water, fruits and cookies on our way out. I only travel with my family these days, so no drinking — but the SFO Lounge has a nice bar and good selection of wine gratis. Thing is, the popularity of travel hacking and general affluence of the Bay Area means a lot of people have the Platinum card and the Centurion Lounge can get pretty crowded depending on time of day. Amex has restricted entry to 3 hours prior to departure, and requires an outbound boarding pass (no dropping in on your return flight). A Platinum cardmember is allowed only 2 guests.

The Platinum also gets you complimentary Gold status with Hilton and Marriott, which may get you some room upgrades and late checkout, and additional bonus points on your stay if you pay for any of it in cash. At Hilton, Gold status gets you free breakfast too.

Beyond MSR, the Platinum has a very poor base rate of earning only 1x MR on most spend. It earns a 5x MR bonus on flights and fees made directly with an airline, and on Fine Hotels & Resorts, but how often are you buying airplane tickets or booking fancy resorts in cash? And that’s the difficulty with this card, because you may have heard about the Amex RAT (Rewards Abuse Team). The prevailing theory is if you open a card and don’t put ongoing and consistent spend on it after meeting MSR and getting the big SUB, then the RATs may flag you as a “gamer” and give you the pop up on subsequent applications for new cards. But the Platinum’s poor bonus structure makes it a hard card to want to keep spending on.

One more thing, and I’ll end on a positive note, all Amex cards including the Platinum, get Amex Offers, and these are usually spend $xxx, get $xx back or xxxx MR. Some of these offers are actually really good for saving money on Disney Gift Cards and other things you may buy or use!
That was an amazing read. Thank you for breaking it down for this Amex virgin!

At this point in my life I think I'd better stick to the, ah, less upscale (? not sure of the word I want) card(s) (for sure, the less complicated ones).

I think what's happening to me, reading this thread and seeing all these amazing things you're all doing, is that I am getting in waaaaay over my head too fast. (I mean, I'm not actually doing anything stupid yet, but I WANT to do it all! See it all! Get all the cards! Do all the things!) There is also the part of me that wants to see if I could get approved for it just to see if I can! That is bad!

Thank you again!!!!!

You all are very nice. We have avoided purchasing a car for our DD, and at this point she is out of college, so it seems like we never will. School cost enough. ;)

Yes! I downloaded the soundtrack this morning. The lyrics are much clearer on digital than in the theater, but now I get to replay the performances on stage in my mind while listening to the songs through my earphones. I didn’t have trouble following the story; I read Ron Chernow’s biography a few years ago so I’m familiar with Hamilton’s life. But hearing all the lyrics just deepens my appreciation for how sharp the “battle” songs are, and songs with Eliza and Angelica, and Dear Theodosia, are tugging at my heartstrings.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. We saw it in SF the first time it was here (thanks to the AMEX concierge) and I loved it. I don't go to shows very often, either, but I do like US history & gov't and had read many of his papers back in college. I have the audiobook, too, and it's really l o n g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter