I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! First post here on DIS so please bear with me as I try to figure it out :)

Husbands
02/2017 - AMEX Gold Delta SkyMiles
08/2017 - CHASE Amazon Rewards Card
03/2018 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred (3714 points currently)
05/2018 - WELLS FARGO Cash Wise Visa Platinum
02/2019 - CITI AAdvantage Platinum Select

Mine
11/2018 - AMEX Gold Delta SkyMiles
02/2019 - CITI AAdvantage Platinum Select

2) Secondly we'll want to know a little bit about you. Specifically - what you spend, and what you want to earn!
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly (i.e. groceries, gas, insurance, cable, cell phone, other expenses)?
    $2000-$3000
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
    yes pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of?
    MSP, RST, AUS, SAT
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program?
    Delta
  • Does SOUTHWEST service your airport?
    Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference?
    Hilton
  • Do you currently have any travel points in any program? (if so, which programs and how much)
    Chase Sapphire - 3714
    Delta SkyMiles - not many
    AA - not many
    Hilton Honors 21000
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? (i.e. Disney World Trip, Cruise, European Trip, Cash Back to pay-off a mortgage or student loans, etc. - you can have multiple goals too!)
    Disney World Trip
  • Who does your travel party consist of? (Spouse, Kids (& ages), other relatives/friends)
    party of 6 - Self, husband, kids 8, 6, 3, 1

We will likely be driving to Disney so airline miles aren't much of an interest for us at this time. We're focusing on Cash Back and possibly Hilton Honors points for our stay, but we're open to other hotel reward programs as well. We don't need to stay on-site (although we would love to) but do want to be as close as possible to the parks. We're hoping to stay for 14 days with 10 day park tickets and stay under $5000 out of pocket.

:welcome: jennaceleste!!!

I'm gonna vote for a CIP for you, then you can support your husband with his CIP once you met the first spend. Because I'm a day behind, I'll stop there because others have prolly already mentioned the CIP.

Last edited:
@Lain posted an idea on these popups somewhere in this post, its worth reading and making a choice... if only i had a spreadsheet to keep track of these post :P
This is purely conjecture:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60966659https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60967003
It doesn't make sense if DH is putting a lot of spend on his Amex card(s), for him to get the pop up. Since this 100k MR offer just came out and is likely to draw a lot of interest, there might be something to @gottalovepluto's theory that Amex could be using the pop up (in part?) to manage their rewards expenses. If I were in your/DH's shoes, I would continue to spend on his existing Amex card(s) and try again for the CS Plat before the 100k MR offer expires, maybe even periodically. Perhaps by then, the demand will have tapered off and Amex's expected rewards costs from this promotion will be more manageable to allow more applications through.

Thanks to you both. I've been reading along the thread, but I'll go back and re-read the posts. It really doesn't make any sense. He's putting tons of regular spend on the one AMEX he has, and it isn't as if he abused the SPG. He got rid of it solely because it lost its luster after the merger and he told them so. The theory is about the only thing that makes sense. Pretty brutal though. I'll definitely follow the suggestion and try again before it goes away. I'm still ticked about me not being eligible with all the spend I put on my 2 Amex cards.

@CaliforniaGirl09 @mmmears
Not our favorite source but TPG has a list of 16 nonstop routes WN cut. On it are MCO-OAK/SJC/SMF :(

Wow. Thanks so much for following up. I'll hop over and read. I wasn't imagining things though.

We have the CITI Costco card. We got the AMEX Costco back when that was a thing and before we knew anything about "churning".

It doesn't get much use these days. Gas when Freedom isn't 5%, and Costco when Freedom isn't 5%. That's about it.

I'd rather have the UR points @ 2% with our CSP than the 3% cashback on restaurants and I use the CIP for travel.

Usually I can get a return better than 1:1 on UR points so I make the % back. But the biggest drawback of the CITI Costco card is that you only get a check once a year. It's just not very flexible as to when you want to cash out.

If you're not trying to stay under 5/25 for Chase applications then it can be an okay pickup, but you're going to have to buy a lot of gas to beat out the sign up bonuses on a lot of other cards.
I'm not a churner (believe it or not), so I normally don't choose cards based on their sign up bonuses. I sign up for cards that are keepers, looking for the best savings in different categories (the only exception being the CIP, which I plan to PC to a CIC after the first year). I use all of my cards for specific categories depending on what has the biggest savings. I only use my URs to transfer to SW for flights, so their value is 1:1 for me. That's what I like about this thread, I've learned a lot even though I don't "play the game" the same as others. I love hearing different viewpoints and opinions here, like yours, because it forces me to slow down and think outside of my tunnel vision plans!

With the Costco card, I'd use it for gas and Costco purchases. Gas would get me 4%, Costco would get me 2%. The restaurants and travel at 3% wouldn't make a difference, I already have a card that gets me 3% on dining (which has rewards that can be redeemed for Disney GCs) and I use the CSP for travel (only 2% but now I know it includes insurance thanks to everyone here!). We already shop at Costco, and if it's not a 5% category on another card I'm using my CFU which only gives me 1.5%. The once a year check isn't terrible because we'd definitely use it in Costco. I know it's not a great card, but I'm drawn by the 4% on gas all year vs 1.5% on my CFU when it's not a category.

Ugh. DH did officially lose his CIP2 in San Francisco. Now I have to report it missing, which will be eyes on the account and MSR not met.

I want to cry right now. Not what I want to deal with on vacation. Here goes...

Wait. Should I request an employee card, complete spend, then report it missing? It's currently locked so no charges can be put on it.

Delta question. DH got the new Delta gold Biz. Offer was 75K miles for 3K spend + $50 credit on Delta purchase in 3 months.
Can I buy a GC and have that trigger the credit?
Not sure what else I would use the GC for.

Last edited:
All you BC folks. Should I request any special location for my stay in early November? We are bringing both kids, 6 and 4.
I usually do upper floor near elevator. I am cheap and will always seek out standard view if it is available to book. I usually get the front of the resort. The only thing I would try to avoid is a room above/near Cape May Cafe. That can be stinky :rotfl:

How was San Francisco/Oakland?
Could not have done it without your help! The weather was lovely. We mostly botched all plans, didn't make Disney museum, but I still enjoyed it.

DH's CIP3 is likely in a trashcan somewhere around Pier 39 :sad: Well, probably not anymore at this point.

How were the seats on SW for a flight that long?
I did not have an issue with them, but I have nothing to compare to since I've only ever flown SW. We landed half an hour early. Received a snack pack (wheat thins [not for me], cheese, pretzels [not for me] and fruit snacks), drinks, then drinks again and milano cookies, again not for me, darn dietary restrictions.

Ask me again after my 8hr flight from HNL to PHX on Sunday lol

Delta question. DH got the new Delta gold Biz. Offer was 75K miles for 3K spend + $50 credit on Delta purchase in 3 months.
Can I buy a GC and have that trigger the credit?
If so, are people selling on raise like the AA gift cards?
Not sure what else I would use the GC for.
GC should trigger the credit. I did this and sold mine on raise a year or so ago.

Ugh. DH did officially lose his CIP2 in San Francisco. Now I have to report it missing, which will be eyes on the account and MSR not met.

Wait. Should I request an employee card, complete spend, then report it missing? It's currently locked so no charges can be put on it.
Very creative thinking....I’d probably request the employee card and enjoy your vacation

I lost my CIP2 literally the second day after I got it. I went online and locked it and within 45 minutes Chase called me to see if there was a problem. I told them I’d lost the card and asked if they could expedite me a new one. They said no problem and the card was there within 2 days. SUB posted no problem, no other questions asked.

I lost my CIP2 literally the second day after I got it. I went online and locked it and within 45 minutes Chase called me to see if there was a problem. I told them I’d lost the card and asked if they could expedite me a new one. They said no problem and the card was there within 2 days. SUB posted no problem, no other questions asked.
Hmm, they have not called to my knowledge and I locked it within hours of losing/realizing I could lock it. We'll be home Sunday so if I just request an employee card, maybe for the 15yo, then maybe it will be here in time. Or I have dh call it in. Decisions. But, good to know you had no issues, that makes me feel better.

I've lost credit cards. It's not a big deal. The will expedite you a new card. The new card number and old card number will always be linked. The old card number just won't be active. It won't affect your MSR or SUB.

Hmmm ... trying to think of a job that would earn a lot of singles and fives ... that appropriate for DISboards

If they were buying a bunch of snack stuff it could be for an office. I worked at a place that didn't have a machine and bought stuff then had a collection jar with the stuff. I imagine in the same type of thing they'd be "lazy" and just reuse that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter