I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are officially homeowners! It has been a LONG day but it was all mostly uneventful...except for the final walkthrough at noon, where we discovered that someone had managed to open one of the jankily installed windows and camped out in the master bedroom for at least a night or two. We found several burnt matches, some grubby clothes, and a "present" they left in the toilet :eek:. Obviously, a security system is now at the top of our shopping list.

We are officially homeowners! It has been a LONG day but it was all mostly uneventful...except for the final walkthrough at noon, where we discovered that someone had managed to open one of the jankily installed windows and camped out in the master bedroom for at least a night or two. We found several burnt matches, some grubby clothes, and a "present" they left in the toilet :eek:. Obviously, a security system is now at the top of our shopping list.
Congratulations, welcome to the nightmare!
party:

I kid (sorta), it's great to have your own place :)

I'm not a churner (believe it or not), so I normally don't choose cards based on their sign up bonuses. I sign up for cards that are keepers, looking for the best savings in different categories (the only exception being the CIP, which I plan to PC to a CIC after the first year). I use all of my cards for specific categories depending on what has the biggest savings. I only use my URs to transfer to SW for flights, so their value is 1:1 for me. That's what I like about this thread, I've learned a lot even though I don't "play the game" the same as others. I love hearing different viewpoints and opinions here, like yours, because it forces me to slow down and think outside of my tunnel vision plans!

With the Costco card, I'd use it for gas and Costco purchases. Gas would get me 4%, Costco would get me 2%. The restaurants and travel at 3% wouldn't make a difference, I already have a card that gets me 3% on dining (which has rewards that can be redeemed for Disney GCs) and I use the CSP for travel (only 2% but now I know it includes insurance thanks to everyone here!). We already shop at Costco, and if it's not a 5% category on another card I'm using my CFU which only gives me 1.5%. The once a year check isn't terrible because we'd definitely use it in Costco. I know it's not a great card, but I'm drawn by the 4% on gas all year vs 1.5% on my CFU when it's not a category.
I think it's a good card for your situation! Especially since there's no annual fee, just have to keep your Costco membership active.

So I’m kind of freaking out. I need to combine my Disney gcs and the website is giving me an error saying invalid card information. I need to pay for the cruise by tomorrow night or we lose it. Why would it say this when the card is already added on my account?

It only happens when I try to transfer the emailed gcs to my physical gc but I’ve had no problems doing this before

So I’m kind of freaking out. I need to combine my Disney gcs and the website is giving me an error saying invalid card information. I need to pay for the cruise by tomorrow night or we lose it. Why would it say this when the card is already added on my account?
Are you trying to combine more than $1,000 onto one card? That is the max per card. You can also only have at most 5 gift cards added online at one time.

I am only 2-3 years in on my calculations, but so far I am ahead of my "projection at purchase" estimate. I am not doing anything fancy and am not accounting for what I could have earned on the money had I not spent it, so I know there are limitations. I am simply pricing out my stay each time and applying any discounts available. I am excited to see the point where we are at break even. My original estimates were 12 years for CCV direct and 7 years for Poly resale.

Great, hopefully you can stay ahead of your projections! I imagine you will. Haven't been to CCV but we enjoyed WL

Bartender... the not safe for the DIS version I think gets higher denominations now...

Haha, well it's been 20 years since I saw "performers" so I guess I'm outta date. Is that a 3% category for CIP?

Congratulations on the new HOME!!!

It only happens when I try to transfer the emailed gcs to my physical gc but I’ve had no problems doing this before

Thought I heard my wife say something about a limit to how much one card can hold? Don't really know what I'm talking about though

I'm not a churner (believe it or not), so I normally don't choose cards based on their sign up bonuses. I sign up for cards that are keepers, looking for the best savings in different categories (the only exception being the CIP, which I plan to PC to a CIC after the first year). I use all of my cards for specific categories depending on what has the biggest savings. I only use my URs to transfer to SW for flights, so their value is 1:1 for me. That's what I like about this thread, I've learned a lot even though I don't "play the game" the same as others. I love hearing different viewpoints and opinions here, like yours, because it forces me to slow down and think outside of my tunnel vision plans!

With the Costco card, I'd use it for gas and Costco purchases. Gas would get me 4%, Costco would get me 2%. The restaurants and travel at 3% wouldn't make a difference, I already have a card that gets me 3% on dining (which has rewards that can be redeemed for Disney GCs) and I use the CSP for travel (only 2% but now I know it includes insurance thanks to everyone here!). We already shop at Costco, and if it's not a 5% category on another card I'm using my CFU which only gives me 1.5%. The once a year check isn't terrible because we'd definitely use it in Costco. I know it's not a great card, but I'm drawn by the 4% on gas all year vs 1.5% on my CFU when it's not a category.
I love Costco. I've been a member there for 20 years. I used the Costco card when they contracted with Amex. When they switched to Visa I started using my Capital one Venture. I joined Sams to help with my Amex spends I had to make this Summer. It's closer to my house, but I'm not a fan. It's like going to Walmart. :crazy2: The quality is not the same as Costco.

I'm kind of a half churner. Most of my cards are keepers. I have signed up for a few{Barclay} that are strictly for the bonus.

I had no idea you could only have $1,000 on a card. I’ll have to make separate payments on the cruise. Thank you! Why do they do that? Seems silly
IDK it seems random. LOL Glad there was nothing wrong with your card!

I actually have multiple Disney gift card accounts with different e-mails because of this limitation. I keep two strictly for room deposit cards and another for continuous spending. I know your cruise is non-refundable at this point, but if you pay off a room only reservation with a gift card it is nice to keep it in your account online. If you cancel, the funds will go back to that same gift card. I also would not add funds to a card that you used for a deposit until that trip is over. If you cancel and it doesn't have the space for the funds to go back ($1,000 and under) it can be a pain to straighten it out.

IDK it seems random. LOL Glad there was nothing wrong with your card!

I actually have multiple Disney gift card accounts with different e-mails because of this limitation. I keep two strictly for room deposit cards and another for continuous spending. I know your cruise is non-refundable at this point, but if you pay off a room only reservation with a gift card it is nice to keep it in your account online. If you cancel, the funds will go back to that same gift card. I also would not add funds to a card that you used for a deposit until that trip is over. If you cancel and it doesn't have the space for the funds to go back ($1,000 and under) it can be a pain to straighten it out.
Lol yeah I was a little worried that someone had already activated it or something. I went through and made like 3 or 4 payments separately. It was kind of annoying, but oh well. It's paid for in full now!!! It's getting real haha.

Hoopla that I posted about earlier has a lot of older disney movies and documentaries. So if any of you are in the mood for Return to Oz, The Apple Dumpling Gang or Davy Crockett see if you have access to the same stuff. There's a lot of classic movies too, haven't looked for newer stuff yet since that's not what brought me to it.

This DIS thread and DISchurners are judgment free zones. You do you! And I’m not going to judge.

I agree that the Citi Costco card is actually a pretty decent card no fee card, with solid bonus categories (4% gas, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% Costco, and 1% all other purchases). A lot of people say the same thing about the Uber Visa (no AF, 4% dining, 3% hotel and airfare, 2% Uber, online purchases, and streaming services, and 1% everything else). For a one credit card kind of person, these are not bad options.

We like to poke fun at the Costco credit card because on occasion, we’ve seen the SUB offer a rotisserie chicken, a 5 gallon bucket, a case of 24 bottles of water, a cooler bag, a tote bag. At least the Uber card has a $100 SUB. We tend to go after SUBs worth hundreds of dollars, so wasting a hard pull and a 5/24 slot on either card kinda makes you go huh? The Costco and Uber card may have very useful categories for ongoing spend, but you’ll need to spend thousands in those categories to make up for the loss opportunity at larger, more lucrative SUBs — many on cards with good category bonuses too.

Take for example, the 2% back at Costco. Instead, I use my Amex Gold (which has a 50k MR SUB) to buy VGCs when there’s a deal at grocery stores for 4x MR, or a CIC (which has a 50k UR SUB or can be PCed from a CIP) to buy VGCs when there’s a deal at OD/OM/Staples for 5x UR, then spend the VGCs bought at higher bonus rates at Costco. Or the Costco card’s 4% back on gas. Supermarkets and office supply stores sell gift cards to Chevron and Shell at the same 4x MR or 5x UR on the cards mentioned previously. Alternatively, my Amex BGR earns 3x MR on gas (the Biz Gold that replaced the BGR earns 4x MR on gas and has a 50k MR SUB), the Bonvoy Biz earns 4x Marriott (and has a 75k, occasionally up to 100k Marriott SUB), and the CIC earns 2x UR. Not to mention the occasional Amex Offers for gas and other useful things. Granted, many of these cards come with a fee, but also offer benefits that offset the cost or you’ll just cancel it after a year. But if a category bonus on a card is really useful, that rounds out your wallet and weighs towards keeping a card even with a fee.

I think I’m in too deep when I pay attention to what cards other people are applying for and using. I was sorely tempted to intervene, but I’ll settle for silently judging people. :magnify:

Thanks for the laugh. :rotfl: I know people who tell me, "We don't like to use credit cards" and I just SMH and inside I'm thinking, "And I guess this is why you keep telling me you can't afford to travel like us..."

Everyone has made me so excited for this cruise! I can't wait to go now. I never even thought to go to St. Thomas before on a cruise because I haven't heard much about it. I think having the 3 days on the ship will be really nice so we won't feel rushed to try things and can relax more. I would think by November 2 the hurricane chances would be dropped dramatically.

Super excited for you!!! I was too late to tell you to book it because it's a great price, but I see you got lots of info and have already booked it tonight. I hope you have a fabulous time!

@CaliforniaGirl09 @mmmears
Not our favorite source but TPG has a list of 16 nonstop routes WN cut. On it are MCO-OAK/SJC/SMF :(

It's just so sad. Seriously it's sometimes so hard for us to get to MCO I've started to feel like the world is telling us to go elsewhere. I can get a direct flight to so many places all over the world, but not to Orlando? SMH

I got my first Departures magazine in the mail today. I had no idea why I was receiving this publication until I saw the Amex logo on an insert. Based on the inside I am not Amex's targeted demographic for this card.

I was pleasantly surprised last issue’s cover featured the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, where we stayed last Christmas thanks in large part to Amex so kindly handing out SPG cards that turned into oodles of Marriott Bonvoy points.
:beach:

DH is going to apply for the CIP tonight - any tips on a higher chance of approval I was told to ask before applying :) He already has a Chase Amazon and CSP. He's 0/30 and 3/24.

Thanks to everyone who helped us narrow down which cards to apply for to help us fund our Disney vacation!
Did you see your welcome message and PM on reddit? I can’t send you a PM on here since you don’t have 10 messages yet lol.

Edit: say things 3 more times and then you can PM LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter