I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking from the CIPpy cup...what could go wrong?

I've been pondering something today, and I feel it's worth sharing. I want to preface this by saying, I personally am ok with the risk of CIPpy and will continue to drink until the cup spills over.

That said, it's worth pointing out that Chase is not afraid to shutdown accounts if they feel abuse has taken place. Earlier this year, a loophole was shared on r/churning that you could generate support links to any Chase card by manipulating the link. This essentially unlocked a backdoor self-support method. Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that these support bonuses had to be posted manually by Chase and could draw unwanted attention to your account. We subsequently decided here, that we would not support this backdoor "self-support" method and we removed all mention of it.

After this occurred, Chase sent letters out to some of r/churning's support link "super users" (more like super receivers) who had used the ability to PC their card multiple times to max out support points two and three times on the same card within one year. Some of these users also had participated in the link manipulation shared above.

The text in that letter said:
We reviewed your credit card account and it appears as though certain transactions represent a misuse of the rewards program...If this activity continues or if there is any other misuse or misrepresentation by you, we may close this and any other accounts you have with Chase.

A picture of that letter can be seen here:
The users who received these warning letters all were clear that they felt it tied to support links and I believe a couple may have called in to confirm that. Then, in a somewhat shocking move, one of those folks who received a letter actually had some of their cards shutdown by Chase (presumably for the same activity as there was no other logical reason for the shutdown). It's worth noting though, that in all instances, they did not clawback any rewards.

How does this tie to CIPpy you may ask? Well it seems that Chase can decide in their sole discretion what they deem to be abuse of their rewards program. Could they decide that repeatedly getting the same card to earn the signup bonus while simultaneously "self-supporting" was an abuse? I certainly think so. It is almost a certainty that this loophole will cease to exist at some point in the future. Nobody can tell you how far away that is, and nobody can tell you what (if any) consequences may occur when it gets shutdown. I will reiterate, that I am not going to stop drinking from CIPpy... But, I am going to try my best to follow some rules to cip safely:
  • I will always do P1=>P2 or P2=>P1 clicks. I know that might not be possible for all (especially those in 1 player mode) but if this is an option, embrace it! Avoiding a true "self-support" click is much more defensible. In the recent Amex clawback debacle, nobody who was supporting via this method experienced any clawback,.
  • Follow your pacing guidelines, don't try to accelerate the timeline and do 1 a month. It's just not worth the risk of getting yourself shutdown on your own.
  • If you want to be paranoid, you may also consider trying to mix up your business type with each application. Perhaps you own multiple successful "businesses" and you purely were pursuing the best small business card on the market for each business...
Please don't stop drinking from CIPpy because of this comment...just make sure you've weighed all the options and are doing it in the most safe way possible for your situation.

Additionally, as we are advising new folks on this option, I think it's important that we make sure they understand that this is not without risk. I don't want to spook them, but it's irresponsible as a "DISchurner" adviser to not at least make sure they understand that this is a loophole and (a) could be shutdown and (b) could come with some level of consequence at some point in the future.

I'm interested to hear anybody else's thoughts on this - even if you're opposed or feel I'm being overly paranoid here...
Thanks for posting this. Chase is not Amex but after my MR clawback I really wish I would have thought about the possibility and not self referred. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. As it stands now I have no points and a stupid Biz Green card that I have no use for and will just face being on the pop up list with Amex when I cancel it to avoid the AF.

I have similar concerns and am maybe being too cautious but I’ve thought about alternating CIP applications with CIU....or a Chase personal card
right now we each have 2 CIPs...both of mine with SS...DH has one with SS and one with EIN.....wouldn’t do another Chase application until September so time to think about it

I am in the same position other than right now I just have one CIP and DH has two. I won’t go for another CIP for him. Risk on it simply does not equal reward. Added to that is component that it is his account so if shutdown it is on him to explain. For myself and another CIP I have until September to decide.

Drinking from the CIPpy cup...what could go wrong?

I've been pondering something today, and I feel it's worth sharing. I want to preface this by saying, I personally am ok with the risk of CIPpy and will continue to drink until the cup spills over.

That said, it's worth pointing out that Chase is not afraid to shutdown accounts if they feel abuse has taken place. Earlier this year, a loophole was shared on r/churning that you could generate support links to any Chase card by manipulating the link. This essentially unlocked a backdoor self-support method. Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that these support bonuses had to be posted manually by Chase and could draw unwanted attention to your account. We subsequently decided here, that we would not support this backdoor "self-support" method and we removed all mention of it.

After this occurred, Chase sent letters out to some of r/churning's support link "super users" (more like super receivers) who had used the ability to PC their card multiple times to max out support points two and three times on the same card within one year. Some of these users also had participated in the link manipulation shared above.

The text in that letter said:
We reviewed your credit card account and it appears as though certain transactions represent a misuse of the rewards program...If this activity continues or if there is any other misuse or misrepresentation by you, we may close this and any other accounts you have with Chase.

A picture of that letter can be seen here:
The users who received these warning letters all were clear that they felt it tied to support links and I believe a couple may have called in to confirm that. Then, in a somewhat shocking move, one of those folks who received a letter actually had some of their cards shutdown by Chase (presumably for the same activity as there was no other logical reason for the shutdown). It's worth noting though, that in all instances, they did not clawback any rewards.

How does this tie to CIPpy you may ask? Well it seems that Chase can decide in their sole discretion what they deem to be abuse of their rewards program. Could they decide that repeatedly getting the same card to earn the signup bonus while simultaneously "self-supporting" was an abuse? I certainly think so. It is almost a certainty that this loophole will cease to exist at some point in the future. Nobody can tell you how far away that is, and nobody can tell you what (if any) consequences may occur when it gets shutdown. I will reiterate, that I am not going to stop drinking from CIPpy... But, I am going to try my best to follow some rules to cip safely:
  • I will always do P1=>P2 or P2=>P1 clicks. I know that might not be possible for all (especially those in 1 player mode) but if this is an option, embrace it! Avoiding a true "self-support" click is much more defensible. In the recent Amex clawback debacle, nobody who was supporting via this method experienced any clawback,.
  • Follow your pacing guidelines, don't try to accelerate the timeline and do 1 a month. It's just not worth the risk of getting yourself shutdown on your own.
  • If you want to be paranoid, you may also consider trying to mix up your business type with each application. Perhaps you own multiple successful "businesses" and you purely were pursuing the best small business card on the market for each business...
Please don't stop drinking from CIPpy because of this comment...just make sure you've weighed all the options and are doing it in the most safe way possible for your situation.

Additionally, as we are advising new folks on this option, I think it's important that we make sure they understand that this is not without risk. I don't want to spook them, but it's irresponsible as a "DISchurner" adviser to not at least make sure they understand that this is a loophole and (a) could be shutdown and (b) could come with some level of consequence at some point in the future.

I'm interested to hear anybody else's thoughts on this - even if you're opposed or feel I'm being overly paranoid here...
I'm in 1P mode and have been pondering whether I should use my own link for #2. It's so tempting, but losing my Chase account is not worth the risk especially since I'm in pop-up jail with Amex. I should probably just use another Dischurner link. Does the pacing guideline hold for all Chase biz cards or just CIP? My CIP was April and CIC in June. I'm wondering if I need to wait until August to try for another CIP.

I keep waiting for there to be a power limit here, since its been so warm. Then we have to keep our usage below a certain limit which for us basically means shut it down... sometimes we can buy our way through though. Ah, capitalism :rotfl:

That's an interesting concept! They also will attach something to your AC unit to cycle your usage during high consumption periods, and I had one on this house when I moved in. Had it removed when we replaced the unit. The cycling made the temp miserable in the house all the time when it was hot. The house never got a chance to cool down.

So now I can choose to be warmer and save/help and then get the temp back to a reasonable comfort level, after doing my part during the hotter part of the day. The temps we are having are considered life threatening for people at risk.

Cute plate but their tags are expired.
Expired tag??

My my, there's a lot of keen eyed observers that would be shocked by my tags :laughing:
PA finally did away with tag stickers... and I think I may have forgot to put on my last one anyway... so I think my tag shows 2016.
Hubby was always bad at putting his stickers on even when you were supposed to, so his might even be worse!

I'm in 1P mode and have been pondering whether I should use my own link for #2. It's so tempting, but losing my Chase account is not worth the risk especially since I'm in pop-up jail with Amex. I should probably just use another Dischurner link. Does the pacing guideline hold for all Chase biz cards or just CIP? My CIP was April and CIC in June. I'm wondering if I need to wait until August to try for another CIP.
A lot of us here have been putting 3 months between Chase applications....so September....are those the only 2 Chase cards you have or have you applied for others this year

....I also reduce my CLs prior to applying to hopefully get an automatic approval

My my, there's a lot of keen eyed observers that would be shocked by my tags :laughing:
PA finally did away with tag stickers... and I think I may have forgot to put on my last one anyway... so I think my tag shows 2016.
Hubby was always bad at putting his stickers on even when you were supposed to, so his might even be worse!

I once forgot to renew and was out of state at Hilton Head when I figured it out. Went online to do it and since I 'forgot' couldn't do it online. Bought a smoked cover and drove home.

Did not remove the smoked plate and got a $60 ticket from Maryland State Police...

Interesting updates for the Hilton support offers - there seems to be multiple offers showing up when going through a support link:

We've seen that you can get incognito offers when using a support link so there could be something like that at play here. Or something else is going wonky with AmEx links. My link from the Hilton Biz shows the same as the public offers for the Surpass and no fee, and no change from the previous support offers for the Aspire and Biz.

A caution to make sure you double check what offer is showing when you sign up, and can't hurt to screenshot (with date/time stamp if possible) in case of issues later.

Particularly with Chase biz cards, it's recommended to space your apps by 3 months. So you're looking at 3 months from the last card opening that Chase can see or knows about. If that's the CIC in June, then you're looking at September for another Chase app. If you open a card from another issuer that appears on your credit report (so a personal card, not biz card), 3 months from that.

A denial by Chase for too many recent inquiries or too many recent accounts is a real thing. With personal cards, you can try to recon it if you don't want to wait another month. However, with biz cards for a "business," most people don't want to talk to a human and get grilled about their "business," so recon is typically off the table. Increase your chances at auto-approval by following the guidelines about timing/velocity and credit limits.
Ugh. I was thinking it was 60 days. I have several expenses coming up in August and would easily meet the msr on a new card. I can't seem to get my timing right lately. I just used my BoA card to pay $3500 for our new water filtration because I didn't have a msr. It was painful!

Ugh. I was thinking it was 60 days. I have several expenses coming up in August and would easily meet the msr on a new card. I can't seem to get my timing right lately. I just used my BoA card to pay $3500 for our new water filtration because I didn't have a msr. It was painful!

Have you considered a biz card from Citi or Amex? Other than a hard pull (and sometimes not even that with Amex), Chase won't know about it.

A lot of us here have been putting 3 months between Chase applications....so September....are those the only 2 Chase cards you have or have you applied for others this year

....I also reduce my CLs prior to applying to hopefully get an automatic approval
Yes, those are my only 2 Chase cards this year. I reduced the limits on my personal cards before the CIP and just reduced the CIC this week in anticipation of another card. I guess I need to wait or look for a biz card with another bank to hold me over.

Interesting updates for the Hilton support offers - there seems to be multiple offers showing up when going through a support link:

We've seen that you can get incognito offers when using a support link so there could be something like that at play here. Or something else is going wonky with AmEx links. My link from the Hilton Biz shows the same as the public offers for the Surpass and no fee, and no change from the previous support offers for the Aspire and Biz.

A caution to make sure you double check what offer is showing when you sign up, and can't hurt to screenshot (with date/time stamp if possible) in case of issues later.

I've noticed that with my Hilton support links when posting it to DISchurners and trying to figure out what to type in the offer description. Some will generate a SUB with 110k, or 125k, or 140k, etc. :confused3 Given that I couldn't be sure what offer amount would come up when someone clicked my link, I decided just not to post it at all.

For anyone referring to the Hilton cards, you may want to consider not just bonus on the card you're referring from, but also the SUB that is generated from that link compared to the public offer or support links from P2's other cards.

Feeling left out since I don't do swagbucks. :rotfl:

LOL, don't! I just think of it like this SW=SB=MB and skim right over.

Thanks @Lain for mentioning the ebags gc plus use of a cc-this should be helpful since I'm still debating what bags to use for DD's move North. Now if United would just make it 15 or 20x miles sooner than later!

Another Newegg dp- I bought VGCs from Newegg Monday, received the congrats! email Monday from Amex, received the egift cards Tuesday, used them yesterday and finally sometime between bedtime and waking up, the $94.77 credit ($200/$100 plus activation fees were $315.90). I wanted to buy DGC but decided to be responsible (sigh) and pay for gas/water/sewage for the next 2 months. It's so boring being a grown up sometimes.

I once forgot to renew and was out of state at Hilton Head when I figured it out. Went online to do it and since I 'forgot' couldn't do it online. Bought a smoked cover and drove home.

Did not remove the smoked plate and got a $60 ticket from Maryland State Police...

Need a "D'oh" smiley as a reaction too. :headache:I think part of the reason PA decided to do away with the stickers is you are more likely to get pulled over for an expired inspection sticker than a registration. The computer systems are so quick to check registration status and it's a minor violation it really didn't seem to be a point. I forget how much money they said it saved by not providing the stickers, but it was a good chunk of change. They timed it with the move to allow 2 year registrations to make logistics easier. I keep forgetting to peel off all the old ones so it probably looks bizarre when all us PA folks travel out of state since most states have some type of sticker system. (last I heard there's less than a handful of states not using stickers) Although I guess it'd probably look bizarre either way. I know I'm still shocked at seeing a nice shiny new plate with no stickers at all :)

HT to u/lulz_were_had on r/churning - the new Hilton personal sign up bonuses are available through the support links now.

The Surpass 130k+FNC and no fee 90k both show when I look from our Hilton Biz link. The Hilton Biz link itself is still showing the 125k offer. I don't know if that's just because it's not updated yet or if I'd have to generate a new support link from that card to see it. Someone else would have to check on that :)

Edit:formatting

I was just coming to say I can create a support link now, however my Aspire is not giving the new offers.

I'm trying to get DH the Biz. Trying to decide if I just take the 125/$3k or wait. The free night would be nice, but I think I need some points yesterday so I may just jump.

I like your strategy....if we didn’t each have a Sapphire card I’d do the same....DH is at 4/24...so just business cards for him until 4/20.....I am 3/24...and drop to 2/24 ..10/19...but the only Chase personal card I’m interested in is the CF....hard to go for 15k URs vs CIPs100k

Thanks, I understand your thinking too. DH is 0/24 and just got CIP and his first AA citi biz last month. I am 1/24 having just got chase premier and chase biz to get CP and a new citi AA biz for me too. So, we both opened quite a few recenty, but are still in good shape. I like the idea of one or both of us getting the CSR so that we can make even better use of our UR's in between CIPs too.

I've noticed that with my Hilton support links when posting it to DISchurners and trying to figure out what to type in the offer description. Some will generate a SUB with 110k, or 125k, or 140k, etc. :confused3 Given that I couldn't be sure what offer amount would come up when someone clicked my link, I decided just not to post it at all.

For anyone referring to the Hilton cards, you may want to consider not just bonus on the card you're referring from, but also the SUB that is generated from that link compared to the public offer or support links from P2's other cards.
I was just coming to say I can create a support link now, however my Aspire is not giving the new offers.

I'm trying to get DH the Biz. Trying to decide if I just take the 125/$3k or wait. The free night would be nice, but I think I need some points yesterday so I may just jump.

So the new fad of customized offers is kind of a turn off. Hard to recommend someone getting a card, tell them they can get 100k, 125k or 150k for opening said card through a link and then they see something completely different. Could be more, so I guess yay? (good for me but my buddy's an idiot, so whatever) Could be less, so now you've lost credibility.

Used to be easy to see as you'd either get a "Support offer" banner or a "Special offer for you" banner, then you'd know you got something outside of the norm. Even if the recipient always sees the same "Support offer" no matter what link they started from, then you'd know it's something like the incognito concept, where you/your region is just targeted for that offer. But if these random offers are all showing as "Support offer" and change based on the links you select, then it changes the system. Might be interesting for AmEx to see different supporter and supportee combinations, but it'll create havoc on the poor bloke who gets the subpar offer and now his friends go for another friend's link or even the public one.

On second thought, that's a genius move by AmEx (for AmEx) to single out subsets of the population to work for you without paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter