I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m kind of upset that we didn’t look into the wine and dine runs. We didn’t really think about run Disney events when we knew we were moving here. That would’ve been fun to sign up for even if it was just the 5k but they’re all sold out

Looks like the only one we could do would be the Star Wars one next year but it’s nonrefundable and we might have things stopping us from running in it (mainly me).

Last edited:
Really? I would much rather see a cockroach than a mouse. As long as it’s just one cockroach. When I was in college I took a life science class and we had a cage with Madagascar hissing cockroaches. My teacher brought one around and we got to stroke its back to hear it hiss. I couldn’t believe I actually managed to do it without freaking out. We also got to see her feed one of the cockroaches to a giant spider and it was so sad. That little guy hissed the entire time he was getting eaten.
Ahhhhhh! I would have passed out

The first thing you can do to score some savings on Plastiq is to sign up for it using a support link on DISchurners. Signing up via a support link will get you $500 "Fee Free Dollars" ("FFDs") after you make your first $500+ in payments. You can apply FFDs to a payment, which means Plastiq will not charge you a fee on the amount of your FFDs and then charge you the prevailing % fee on whatever balance isn't covered by the FFDs.

If you can get P2 to sign up for Plastiq and make some payments, you can have him use your support link so that he gets $500 FFDs and you get the support bonus of $1,000 FFDs after P2 makes $500+ in payments.

$500 FFDs = $12.50. $1,000 FFDs = $25.00.

Next, Plastiq occasionally runs promos, like the 1.5% fee on 3 payments up to $10k on any kind of card that just ended on 6/31. We keep good tabs on these promos and share them on this thread and on DISchurners.

Lastly, MCGCs work well with Plastiq because MetaBank-issued MCGCs (the kind you usually find in the supermarket) are currently coding like debit cards on Plastiq, which means they process with only a 1% fee (vs. the regular 2.5% fee for credit cards). The max value MCGC you can buy at a supermarket is $500, which maximizes the use of the $5.95 activation fee, and minimizes the % of that fee vs. the value of the MCGC (1.19%). So you're buying a MCGC with a 1.19% fee in store and running it through Plastiq for a 1% fee, which is less than the usual 2.5% fee that Plastiq charges on credit card payments. People who have credit cards that earn a high bonus at supermarkets can do even better. The Amex Gold earns 4x MR at supermarkets, the Amex Everyday Preferred earns 6% cash back at at supermarkets, and some cards like the Chase Freedom or Discover have rotating bonus categories that include supermarkets (not this quarter, however). These cards earn more in rewards off the purchase at a supermarket than the total fees for the whole transaction, start to finish. Even the Chase Freedom Unlimited at 1.5x UR, Amex Blue Business Plus at 2x MR, or Citi Double Cash at 2% cash back will help you negate some of the fees.

However, if you're thinking of paying your mortgage company $495.05 (accounting for a 1% fee) at a time, you need to contact them and ask how they process partial payments that are less than the monthly statement amount (e.g., will it go towards the statement balance, applied to the principle, go into a suspension account that you can call in to direct payment? Can you put a memo line on the check that says apply to statement?).
Wow, thank you!

Great info on MCGCs being run as debits through Plastique; thank you. When you say "MetaBank" is that listed on the back of the card somewhere where I could double check prior to purchasing?

And I just missed the grocery bonus category for the (plain) CF! They do the 4x fuel points regularly at Fry's though (A Kroger company) and that might help.

Really? I would much rather see a cockroach than a mouse. As long as it’s just one cockroach. When I was in college I took a life science class and we had a cage with Madagascar hissing cockroaches. My teacher brought one around and we got to stroke its back to hear it hiss. I couldn’t believe I actually managed to do it without freaking out. We also got to see her feed one of the cockroaches to a giant spider and it was so sad. That little guy hissed the entire time he was getting eaten.
That’s awful! I think I would have hit the floor with @vanjust14. I’d need years of therapy after that :crazy2:

Wow, thank you!

Great info on MCGCs being run as debits through Plastique; thank you. When you say "MetaBank" is that listed on the back of the card somewhere where I could double check prior to purchasing?

And I just missed the grocery bonus category for the (plain) CF! They do the 4x fuel points regularly at Fry's though (A Kroger company) and that might help.

Yup, the issuing bank can be found on the fine print on the back of the card packaging. Seems like it’s the Metabank issued MCGCs that process as debit (thus 1% fee) on Plastiq. And since they’re Mastercards, they can be used to pay mortgages and almost anything else without restrictions. Metabank MCGCs can usually be found at supermarkets in fixed denominations of $50s and $100s, and variable load up to $500; and at Office Depot/Office Max in $50/$100/$200 denominations. Always do the math on the fees, be aware of promos the stores may be running, and what credit card gets you the best reward at that store. Many here also stack these deals with shopping apps like RMN and Dosh.

Visa GCs are extremely YMMV on working with Plastiq. I personally don’t buy VGCs with any intention of using them to pay through Plastiq.

I’m kind of upset that we didn’t look into the wine and dine runs. We didn’t really think about run Disney events when we knew we were moving here. That would’ve been fun to sign up for even if it was just the 5k but they’re all sold out

Looks like the only one we could do would be the Star Wars one next year but it’s nonrefundable and we might have things stopping us from running in it (mainly me).

They're fun! Kinda. As fun as running can be. DW and I will be there for W&D this year, and Princess next year.

For future reference, the 5k goes lightning fast - within hours of registration opening. It's the cheapest, has the fewest spots, and is the most attainable for a non-runner - just look at the plethora of couch to 5k apps out there. It's how I got started!

I will say, W&D 5k used to go through Animal Kingdom. Running through Pandora in the dark last year is a highlight I won't forget. Sadly, the 5k has moved to Epcot, so the route will likely be a segment of the 10k (which we are also doing), which itself could also be a segment of the half marathon (...which we are also doing...).

They're fun! Kinda. As fun as running can be. DW and I will be there for W&D this year, and Princess next year.

For future reference, the 5k goes lightning fast - within hours of registration opening. It's the cheapest, has the fewest spots, and is the most attainable for a non-runner - just look at the plethora of couch to 5k apps out there. It's how I got started!

I will say, W&D 5k used to go through Animal Kingdom. Running through Pandora in the dark last year is a highlight I won't forget. Sadly, the 5k has moved to Epcot, so the route will likely be a segment of the 10k (which we are also doing), which itself could also be a segment of the half marathon (...which we are also doing...).
I probably couldn’t do much past the 5k since I have knee problems. I’m hoping with me joining a gym I can strengthen my quads and calves enough that my knees won’t be a problem anymore.

We just can’t plan that far ahead right now to commit so we probably just won’t go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter