I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closed cards go on my trophy wall.

No good reason to keep them but it’s actually kind of fun to look back through the T-Mobile, Visa Buxx, Red Bird, SPG Amex, Reloadits, and other long dead churning and MS’ing cards. I thought one day I might make a mosaic with all of them and put in an office or garage. No time for that now though.

I will say it has helped me a few times to remember the accounts I opened, especially with Amex and their lifetime language. I keep good books now but didn’t always in the past.

Like I said..."unless something has changed"...We befriended a CM at Poly back in 2017. She was actually the one who upgraded us from our regular Poly rooms to connecting dvc studios. She told me that CM's got discounts on dvc and buying into dvc was one of the first things she did when she hired on. She was pretty young too so it could not have been that long ago that it was a benefit.
It was a benefit back in 2000 when I purchased. I was able to get a CM discount because I took a job at the Disney Store for a few months - probably worked 8-10 shifts of 2-3 hours each around Xmas.

Two things:
First, I got my vacuum today! Dh and I put it together (really didn’t need two people) and I used it. Holy cow does that thing pick up hair. I’m convinced the people before us had a dog and just hid it really well because some of that definitely doesn’t match our cats’ hair.

Second, we went to target so I could get swim suit bottoms and thought we might as well look at grocery prices since we’re still getting used to that. They had hamburger on sale for $1.99/lb and it was BOGO 25% off plus we got our 5% with our red card. I have never gotten hamburger that cheap before. It all expires today but that’s what the freezer is for.

I did Black Friday in Toys R Us for 20 years in one of the top 3 stores in the country. I bet I could handle Disney Store with my eyes closed.
I worked at Crate and Barrel a couple years, including 2 Christmas seasons, before Black Friday was really a thing. It was a zoo, what with the lines and checking people out and boxing/wrapping items. Plus the stockroom was in the basement and we hand carried most of the stock up the stairs. Of course, I was in my 20’s then, not sure I could handle it now.

We're local, but have spent more than a few nights in NOLA when we'd rather not drive home after ahem...celebrating.
I can only comment on the Riverside Hilton - probably have spent more time in the lobby/common areas vs. actual rooms (waiting on conference/competition participants, etc), but no complaints about the stay. Just a word of caution if you book a low floor with a river view. Be prepared for horns from the departing riverboats & cruise ships! DH was quite startled one morning, totally forgetting that his awesome view was that of an active port!
We’ve stayed on Bourbon Street in a B&B type place and another hotel, possibly a Hyatt, near Canal. The Riverside Hilton location looks pretty good. We have never rented a car in the past, is it still possible to get around without one? Uber or Lyft?

Man, I wish we lived somewhere that 30 minutes was far away. lol That is how long it takes to get to any retail, and we don't have anything good. Almost everything in our mall is closing.
We used to live out far enough that it took us 30 mins to get to a real grocery store. But after finding myself so deep in kids activities but still having littles needing naps, we made the move into town. I miss the quiet of our old place but this stage of life needs conveniences close by! Still no close staples though lol!

We’ve stayed on Bourbon Street in a B&B type place and another hotel, possibly a Hyatt, near Canal. The Riverside Hilton location looks pretty good. We have never rented a car in the past, is it still possible to get around without one? Uber or Lyft?
Walk, ride the streetcars or Uber. All three will help you avoid the average $30/night parking fees.

I hope someone out there is enjoying their Grubhub on my Amex :rolleyes2 I'm glad I've already used my $10 monthly credit. Now I have wait for it to go pending so I can dispute it and watch for more charges.

It was used for gas at 7eleven in early May. I bet a skimmer got it even though I looked that pump over before inserting the card.

And DS and I did it! When we went over this afternoon to IoA the wait was 220 minutes for Hagrid’s Motorbike. With the brutal heat, we decided to wait until evening. When we arrived at 7:20 pm, it said 180 min. It ended up taking 120 min but the ride is awesome!!! There were some technical difficulties during our ride so we got to ride it a second time without waiting to make up for it :) Best part- spending 2 1/2 hours with DS! I love that part! The worst part- they let an entire party of 16 people come through the “disability” line which made no sense since there are no steps and there were plenty of others in wheelchairs who waited it out. And then the person was clearly not disabled since as soon as they let the party enter the regular line, the wheelchair was suddenly only storage for all of their backpacks that they didn’t put in lockers like they made everyone.

I am so glad we got to experience it. I think the daytime experience will be totally different than riding it at night.

Oh, and the light show on Hogswarts was pretty awesome too! We only caught the ending as we were coming off of Hagrid’s.

Last edited:
Does Hilton only let you look at points bookings when you have points? I'm trying to figure out how many we'll need so I can figure out my plan.

Does Hilton only let you look at points bookings when you have points? I'm trying to figure out how many we'll need so I can figure out my plan.

I don't think so. I've been able to just check out how many points it takes for a booking, searching by Points (vs AAA or AARP).

ETA: I have no Hilton points.

Last edited:
I
I don't think so. I've been able to just check out how many points it takes for a booking, searching by Points (vs AAA or AARP).

I'll try again tomorrow then. I checked the box that I wanted to use points and it only gave me cash prices. Even found my old honors acct that never had points and I've no idea why I have it unless the sorority conference I went to in SLC was at one and they made us sign up to get free wifi.

OK folks so far I've signed up for paperless billing on 6 things! Now all I gotta do is not forget to pay any of them and screw everything up!

I am keeping my mortgage paperwork though. I bought the house in 2013, refinanced in 2016, and since then I've had to send to 3 different addresses since it keeps getting sold. I feel like I need a paper trail.

On another note- I have some accounts through American Funds that are still being "managed" by a "financial planner" (those are in quotes for a reason). Has anyone had experience moving those to an exclusively online account management process? I don't hate her but she is super old school (will only communicate by phone... which really doesn't work for me) and I'd rather just be able to do everything online, but I am not sure where to start.

Anyone know if you can buy Disney GCs with a Safeway GC? I did it last summer in Portland, but wondering if it is still valid. We are headed out in a few weeks.

Amazon has their 20% off when you pay with MRs again and I qualified. Here is the link from FM to see if you qualify: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_...28fe604cb47dcb889011dae404c545&language=en_US
Yes, I just did this tonight. I activated the promo, used one MR and paid $199.99 for $250 in Safeway GCs. Then I printed out the GC and used it to buy $250 Disney GCs. I’ve never had any trouble doing this at my Safeway here in NorCal, but I think it’s YMMV. I always print out out the Safeway GC because they’re not always able to scan it off my phone. Good luck, such a great deal!

I hope someone out there is enjoying their Grubhub on my Amex :rolleyes2 I'm glad I've already used my $10 monthly credit. Now I have wait for it to go pending so I can dispute it and watch for more charges.

It was used for gas at 7eleven in early May. I bet a skimmer got it even though I looked that pump over before inserting the card.

You can freeze your card. Hopefully that'll prevent more charges. It's under Account Services.

I

I'll try again tomorrow then. I checked the box that I wanted to use points and it only gave me cash prices. Even found my old honors acct that never had points and I've no idea why I have it unless the sorority conference I went to in SLC was at one and they made us sign up to get free wifi.

No you can see them - make sure you are logged in to your HHonors account. Then when you search a location, say Orlando, all the hotels will come up. One little radio button says cash and the one next to it says points. It's on the right side of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter