"I LOATHE the BUS..."

I have ridden the city bus almost every work day for about 5 years.

I have no problem with the Disney bus system.

This is it in a nutshell.. if you are used to ANY public transportation system in the world (NYC Subways/Cross-town Buses I'm looking at you here.. ) ...

Then the Disney system is a godsend. And yeah on my most recent trip the LONGEST we waited was about 15 minutes because we missed the bus to DTD by a few minutes at the Dolphin.

I expected a 30 minute wait and was pleasantly surprised we didn't wait long at all.

Heck, leaving MK.. overheated, frustrated, cranky, ticked at the crowds and the rest of it... we still got on a bus without waiting and yeah we stood but we were back at the resort in 20 minutes from the time we walked out the front gates of MK.

If you're not used to the crowds on public transportation like the strap-hangers in NYC ... it can be un-nerving I suppose.

K

We always use the bus, primarily out of habit. We've never rented a car so we have nothing to compare the bus system to. Never had a problem worth complaining about.

Thicker skin, bro. Nobody owes you empathy, and you shouldn't look for it.

But it is a good thing to be empathetic. :thumbsup2 Not everyone is all about me, me, me. Showing compassion for you fellow man is a trait more people should have.

We used the buses exclusively until our first trip with DD. We realized that when traveling with a little one, for us, having control over when we leave our resort or a park, made for a much nicer vacation for all of us.

Seriously. You people (yes, you people) are why we take a car and smile the entire trip. We see enough of you in the parks.

;)

Note to self: no more trips to Pleasure Island with DISers who lump me in with "you people" :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:
Yeah...what you said!!! :duck:

On another note people...this discussion has gone surprisingly well..up until a bit ago. I will NOT tolerate nastiness or sarcasm here. It doesn't happen too often, and when it does rear it's ugly head, it is gone. Those who choose to post here are expected to do so with empathy and civility. Yeah...I went there, I used 'empathy'.

Some of the other reasons apply to me as well - I love being in control of my own schedule, I hate waiting in line at closing time and we head over to DTD a few times each trip. We still occassionally take the bus from OKW, especially to the MK. When we do, it is not horrible. Once in awhile there are issues. Just all in all it is not for us.

But from a pure economical standpoint, for a family of 5, the rental practically pays for itself.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have a family of six, who has driven to WDW the last four times. We love having control of our own schedule by driving. We can come and go when we please and not have to wait for a bus to come pick us up. Plus, we can bring the strollers easier to the parks.

You have confused unwilling with unable and added co-conspirators. Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Better luck next time.

My apologies to anybody who felt offended. I didn't think my responses were either nasty or sarcastic, just different viewpoints and trying to have a discussion on a discussion board.

I think we can agree that the scooters ARE abused, and one of the leading abuses are by overweight folks who don't care to walk the long distances needed to in the parks, and that those they surround themselves with encourage the abuse to get some benefit for themselves. Hopefully this "rephrase" will not be seen as nasty or sarcastic.

My apologies to anybody who felt offended. I didn't think my responses were either nasty or sarcastic, just different viewpoints and trying to have a discussion on a discussion board.

I think we can agree that the scooters ARE abused, and one of the leading abuses are by overweight folks who don't care to walk the long distances needed to in the parks, and that those they surround themselves with encourage the abuse to get some benefit for themselves. Hopefully this "rephrase" will not be seen as nasty or sarcastic.
Why, thank-you. That was much better.

Now...something to keep in mind. There are many people who while overweight and using ECVs, it is not because they are too 'fat' to walk. It is more a case of little exercise due to some kind of disability so the extra weight goes on..which would lead some to believe that sheer laziness is the reason for the ECV. Yes, this may in fact be true in some cases. But, not all.

There are always going to be abuses of every system out there. Disney does a pretty fair job of making things fair to everyone. For instance...no longer does being on an ECV, or being with someone on an ECV, get you onto a ride more quickly. Sure, that used to be the case, but not anymore. Disney has made it so that the vast majority of attraction ques can accomodate ECVs and wheelchairs...which means, everyone waits in the same line.

Now, in the spirit of fairness....I did overhear one large family, as they waited in an attraction line, complaining about having to stand there with everyone else when 'mom' had an ECV. Now, it was pretty obvious that 'mom' had little to no clue as to how to operate said ECV..she kept bumping into things and people. At one point 'dad' said, in what he thought was a quiet voice (but I have extraordinary hearing!!!!)...'I don't know why we paid for that 'darn' thing...it isn't getting us on anything any faster...what a waste of money!!!'
So yes, there is abuse. But once these abusers realize that they aren't getting anywhere any faster than the rest of us, things will get better.

I have even seen sites that recommend getting an ECV in order to be less tired at the end of the day....incredible!!

WakkiNuNu said:
Your different viewpoints were expressed in an extremely nasty and sarcastic, not to mention presumptive manner. You made extremely negative assumptions about persons about whom you know absolutely nothing.

WakkiNuNu said:
Yes, as you can see from goofy4tink's own experience - and I know Our Esteemed Moderator to be very aware when an issue relates in any way to transportation, specifically in relation to Walt Disney World - there's abuse. But to lump all WDW Guests who use wheels to enjoy the parks as equally as possible to Guests on foot "abusers" is rude, offensive, insulting, hurtful, innappropriately judgmental...

You made a lot of baseless assumptions in your earlier series of posts - not a good introduction to any forum, even the admittedly realistic and pixie dust-free Transportation board. Education is a good thing :teeth: Instead of attacking, ask. There's a disABILITIES forum here, too. Head over there and ASK any questions you might have about wheelchair/ecv usage, and so-called "perks". They don't pull pumches over there, either. It's not the pleasure trip a lot of people seem to think it is.

ENOUGH!!!!!! Either this line of 'discussion' ends or this thread gets shut down. It has been a very reasonable thread up until the last day or so. There were some good points made. Anyone who needed 'speaking to' has been spoken to, by me. Nobody else needs to take up the fight. Let's move on.

Yes, what Diane said! People, we need to get back important matters, like talking about Jake Ryan! :love: And did Farmer Ted and Caroline end up happily ever after??

;)

6a00d8341c98b053ef0134849c2728970c-pi

Years and years later I still love Jake Ryan. :love: When the cars pull away to the Thompson Twins "If you were here" to show Jake leaning against the porsche....:lovestruc.....years later it still gets me. :) And back to the REAL discussion...

We like the bus. Something about that English Pub in Epcot that gets me in the mood for a British Ale & the next thing you know, I'm sooo glad I'm riding the bus back to our resort. I have the same issue when I spend too much time in Mexico enjoying a margarita :lmao:

Or the night we went to the Hoop Dee Do & our waiter refused to let our wine glasses be empty. Boy was I glad to ride the bus home that night :thumbsup2

Oh, & when we go back to the resort for our pool break, it just seems like vacation to have an adult beverage or 2 midday. I especially enjoy it thinking about everyone else back home working during the day :goodvibes

Wherever we go, we don't have to take turns being DD, we can enjoy together :hippie:

Yep, I like riding the bus :rotfl:

Why, thank-you. That was much better.

Now...something to keep in mind. There are many people who while overweight and using ECVs, it is not because they are too 'fat' to walk. It is more a case of little exercise due to some kind of disability so the extra weight goes on..which would lead some to believe that sheer laziness is the reason for the ECV. Yes, this may in fact be true in some cases. But, not all.

There are always going to be abuses of every system out there. Disney does a pretty fair job of making things fair to everyone. For instance...no longer does being on an ECV, or being with someone on an ECV, get you onto a ride more quickly. Sure, that used to be the case, but not anymore. Disney has made it so that the vast majority of attraction ques can accomodate ECVs and wheelchairs...which means, everyone waits in the same line.

Now, in the spirit of fairness....I did overhear one large family, as they waited in an attraction line, complaining about having to stand there with everyone else when 'mom' had an ECV. Now, it was pretty obvious that 'mom' had little to no clue as to how to operate said ECV..she kept bumping into things and people. At one point 'dad' said, in what he thought was a quiet voice (but I have extraordinary hearing!!!!)...'I don't know why we paid for that 'darn' thing...it isn't getting us on anything any faster...what a waste of money!!!'
So yes, there is abuse. But once these abusers realize that they aren't getting anywhere any faster than the rest of us, things will get better.

I have even seen sites that recommend getting an ECV in order to be less tired at the end of the day....incredible!!

Thank you for your support of EVC people. Yes, I am overweight because excercise is a challenge....I'm trying....some days more successful than others. Hopefully things may becme a little better now that the surgeries are behind me.

Yes, you have no idea how much I would like to walk the parks like I did in the past. However, I thank God each day I'm simply ALIVE following a freak accident in 2008. Following the accident I have been left with a weak achilles and shattered knee. You have no idea how much I miss my freedom.

I try to make lemonaid from lemons - decorate my little scooter....ring my bike bell or little squeaky horn. Inside, however, I am jealous of all of you who can walk around World Showcase....like I could before June 4th, 2008.

I tolerate the intolerant more than my husband (I'm sure he remembers when life at WDW was easier).....but we now miss things at WDW we have done in the past because I just don't want to be in a situation which may be uncomfortable (crowds).

Next time you watch someone in a scooter....remember, many of us would give just about ANYTHING to be able to walk up the hill at International Gateway without pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter