• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just paid $80 for 3 drinks at Trader Sam's!

I've never even heard of this place but I certainly wont be visiting with prices like that. What is the justifiable means for paying $80 for 4 drinks? Is there a character meet and greet? Some other kind of experience?
There are dozens of posh tiki bars like this all over the world. The cocktails and souvenirs are comparable prices. The experience is the 1960's "tiki," experience: flowers, outrageous cocktails, drums, singing and dancing servers and bartenders, Southeast Asian island music, etc. This was an entire cultural craze when Disneyland was was being developed, so they have there own tiki bar there. I'm sure it's meant to be a signature experience, not a hang out and drink for hours kind of bar.

$80 for what would probably be 4 drinks is also not crazy where I live. Even outside of the trendy bars a small martini or cocktail is going to run you about $12. That's $48 not counting tax and tip. With tax and tip that would probably run $60. The price would be higher at one of the trendier establishments. Beer and glasses of wine would probably run $8 - $10 for a run-of-the-mill beer/wine.

I'm guessing the TS sizes are probably bigger than a small cocktail/martini glass and then add to that the cost of the souvenir glasses.

We're looking forward to going when we are there next week! We plan on going on a weeknight after dinner so I hope it's not crowded and we can enjoy what sounds like amazing details in the decor.

When I was there we had two drinks, 1 with souvenir glass and two apps, and the bill was around $70 with tip. The apps were surprisingly very good. Didnt think it was that expensive, compared to other areas.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the souvenir glasses don't up the cost THAT much. We were there two weeks ago and had one Hippopoto-MaiTai and a Krakatoa Punch, and opted to keep only the MaiTai glass. Our bill was $29. So by not getting the Krakatoa Punch's glass, we saved about $3.50. The MaiTai glass only added about $4 to our total as well. Perhaps something like the Nautilus has more of a difference.

Jennasis, even if you don't drink, its worth a trip there. Its a really cool place. You can go and have a soft drink and an appetizer.
Oh totally! I can't wait to go on our trip next September when we are staying at the Poly...I'm just saying at those prices, I'm glad all we drink is Diet Coke lol!

I was to the Tiki Terrace last weekend and brought home an Uh-Oah bowl. Just for kicks I measured how much liquid it holds. That puppy hold 36 ounces! So the drink is a double and then some, and the bowl itself is a ceramic work of art. I felt it was worth the price. :drinking:

We have a saying in Yorkshire - a fool and their money are easily parted (sorry not trying to be rude, it's just a saying) . These prices are just a rip off. Then when you are paying such outrageous prices for drinks you have to pay Disney staff wages by paying tips on top? Disney should be able to afford to pay staff very well at these prices.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's because I'm used to London prices but I don't think that's that expensive!
At Trader Vics in the Park Lane Hilton, a cocktail is $19.50/£13.50 and you don't get to keep the glass. A sharing cocktail is $29 / £20 and once again - no souvenir.
Maybe I'm just trying to justify it as I really want that Nautilus glass though...

I don't know if it's because I'm used to London prices but I don't think that's that expensive!
At Trader Vics in the Park Lane Hilton, a cocktail is $19.50/£13.50 and you don't get to keep the glass. A sharing cocktail is $29 / £20 and once again - no souvenir.
Maybe I'm just trying to justify it as I really want that Nautilus glass though...
Ha ha, reckon you are. You have selected one of the most expensive places to buy cocktails in London. I've paid more when in London at high end places, but even the bars above our office atop the Walkie Talkie skyscraper don't charge these prices. Remember the London prices also include sales tax (and huge alcohol duty which accounts for a good chunk) and generally no tipping bartenders. You can go to decent bars in London and get good cocktails for under 10 dollars, often on special 2 for 1 before 7.30 etc. This is in one of the most expensive cities on earth. I just think the prices in this place are outrageous when I saw this post, but Disney prices are generally outrageous nowadays but as long as people pay it they will keep charging and increasing it. The souvenir glasses etc I imagine are produced in China for pennies, for example you can buy a decent ceramic tiki mug not dissimilar to those here, for around £5 retail including delivery. My eyes water at Disney margins, perhaps I am just jealous. By the way, I am not criticising anyone who wants to go here and have fun, but the original post was obviously pointing out just how expensive it was and seeking comment. Have a nice time if you do go. I am there August but will probably give it a steer as you will have gathered

Can you buy one of these drinks to go and bring it back to your room to enjoy on your balcony? Traveling solo with my kiddo, we prob won't be at the resort from 4-8 but might want to grab one on my last night on the way back from HDDR. we're doing the 4pm show but might stick around for the campfire thing or visit VWL or something, plus I'm not sure my child would really enjoy sitting there while mom drinks lol.

Is there an issue with the soda. I was there in 1/16 and we went to the Grog grotto. There was a family with kids who wanted Cokes. They were told that coke was not served there and pointed to the non-alchoholic beverages.

Maybe the soda machine was not working or we misheard.

That's the same as 10 beers in Epcot. I'm glad I don't like sweet girlie drinks.

We have a saying in Yorkshire - a fool and their money are easily parted (sorry not trying to be rude, it's just a saying) .

Eh, don't worry. We have the same saying (though I've always heard "A fool and his money are soon parted." The singular 'their' still tends to be criticized.) Quite honestly, the saying applies to almost all things Disney. This doesn't particularly stand out to me.

Can you buy one of these drinks to go and bring it back to your room to enjoy on your balcony? Traveling solo with my kiddo, we prob won't be at the resort from 4-8 but might want to grab one on my last night on the way back from HDDR. we're doing the 4pm show but might stick around for the campfire thing or visit VWL or something, plus I'm not sure my child would really enjoy sitting there while mom drinks lol.

I don't know whether you could take your drink out of Trader Sam's, but you can get many of the same drinks at the patio bar just on the other side of it and those you could take back to your room.

I don't know whether you could take your drink out of Trader Sam's, but you can get many of the same drinks at the patio bar just on the other side of it and those you could take back to your room.
do they have the souvenir glasses there too or just in trader sam's?

do they have the souvenir glasses there too or just in trader sam's?

That I'm not sure. But in Trader Sam's, they pour your drink in a souvenir glass and then give you a slip to pick up a boxed/wrapped glass on your way out to keep. The glass your drink is poured in is for bar use only. So if you are able to take drinks out of Trader Sam's, I suspect you'd have to ask them for your drink in a regular glass and pay for the souvenir glass separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter