• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I just found a newborn deer in my yard - Advice?

Genie+

You can never spend enough
I was making lunch when my son called me outside. A little tiny baby deer was standing inside our wooden fenceline. After about a minute of us quietly looking at him from 10 yards away, the fawn settled down for a nap. It’s been about 30 minutes now. The baby is still there all alone. What should I do if the mom doesn’t return?

leave it alone. The momma is likely not far away. She will "hide" the baby during the day. We spot them in the shrubs around the golf course all the time. the baby will just lay there and not make a peep.
Agree. We had deer in our yard all the time, including the occasional lone foal. They were always collected eventually by the doe.

Thank you all! I knew the DIS community would know what to do lol. Much appreciated.

I’ve never had such a young one before. It made me nervous being so precious and vulnerable.

Which is precisely why the mother left it there, inside a fenced in area where a dog wouldn't spot it. She will be back for it.

If the baby deer was wandering aimlessly about and in danger of being prey, that would be a different story. Then, as a PP said, call the wildlife authorities.

Had the same thing several years ago. Very young baby deer was in our backyard and eventually laid down for a nap under a tree/bush as well. Time went on and the baby deer went off. Mom will eventually come back.

We have deer all the time in our backyard. Mom likes to bring the babies around to graze. Bucks are very uncommon to see though.

The way I understand it, the mother leaves the baby to go graze and to draw predators away. Not sure if the accuracy, but I e read that baby deer have no scent, making them difficult to find.

My son is looking out the bedroom window reporting the baby is gone :)

Mom might leave baby there again if she knows it is a safe place! We get deer ALL the time here on Vancouver Island.

Baby Deer Found Alone​

What is normal?​

A fawn, or baby deer, found alone is not necessarily abandoned. Mother deer don’t want to attract predators to their baby, so she mostly leaves them on their own, hidden and camouflaged. Mom will come back a few times a day to feed her baby, or move them. Feeding may only take 2-3 minutes, so unless you’re watching constantly you will probably miss it! It is normal behaviour for baby deer to spend their time laying quietly in various hiding spots until 3-4 weeks of age when they start to accompany their mother.

https://www.torontowildlifecentre.c.../how-to-help-baby-deer/baby-deer-found-alone/

I agree to leave it alone unless it starts approaching people or pets. That's when it should be reported because it can potentially be dangerous (I've seen a dog that had an eye blinded by a deer kick to the head).

A deer's sense of smell is believed to be considerably better than a human's, although probably not as good as a bear. They often leave them behind and then use their sense of smell to located their young. And they will go out foraging all day while leaving the young behind.

White-tailed Deer fawns are born April through July, with the majority of fawns born in June. Most first-year does will have one fawn each year, but twins or triplets are typically seen thereafter.​
Until they are strong enough to keep up with their mothers, deer fawns are left alone while their mothers go off to feed. Mother deer will stay away from the fawns to avoid leading predators to their young. Does return at dawn and dusk to feed and/or move their young.

Fawns are typically left in an area with tall grass or bushes, but sometimes they are left in more open areas, including backyards. Older deer fawn may wander short distances.

Well-meaning humans often assume that because a fawn is alone it must be an orphan, leading to numerous fawn “kidnappings” each year.

A fawn has the BEST chance of survival when cared for by its mother. Typically, the best option is to leave the fawn alone!​

Leave the baby alone unless its ears are curling around the edges (sign of dehydration) or it is up and moving around/obviously in distress. Mom leaves them in what, to deer logic, seems like a safe spot and will come back in a few hours or as long as 24 hours. If the baby is curled up, playing invisible, its fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter