I have a WONDERful feeling about this! 2015 WB Panama Canal Trip Report, Completed 6/14/15

Day Seven Navigator (Panama Canal Transit)

18172611872_262c840f3c_b.jpg

18172618282_66063c1a67_b.jpg

18172580102_d7c4981b94_b.jpg

17988267028_9d55a76b07_b.jpg

17555572393_648e4b9f95_b.jpg

18176184375_8800430634_b.jpg

Day Seven, Part One (May 7, Panama Canal Transit)

I had decided that I wasn't going to try to drag the kids out of bed pre-dawn because I knew they would burn out really fast if we did that. Instead I decided to take a more leisurely approach to the day. We probably woke up around 8 or so and I threw on a sundress and ran down one flight of stairs to deck 4 to see where we were. I had hoped to get pictures of all the ships waiting to come through, but we were a bit beyond that point already. Plus, in my haste I forgot all about preparing my camera properly for the extreme humidity. So, my earliest pictures really look like we were in fog.

17683001708_bf795d5c0c.jpg

This was what was cut by the French before the US took over the construction of the canal. I'm not sure what they thought they were going to bring through there.

17246556144_58be9eed07.jpg

I gave up on that and ran back to the room to drag the kids out. I let them just stay in their jammies and I did my best to make myself at least slightly presentable by running a brush through my hair. The humidity was so bad that it was pointless to try too hard. We were a bit out from the first set of locks when we got upstairs. Cristin, from our cruise group, was down there with her family. Oliver occupied himself playing with her daughter, Lauren, while Elliott sat in one of the loungers with his sketchbook.

17683268020_930626cdcc.jpg

17865029962_e0333d1f07.jpg

I have to say this was a nice way to start the day. It wasn't too crowded down on deck 4, starboard, and there were chairs available. Some cast members were wheeling a cart with coffee and pastries around the deck, so we were all able to get some sustenance. I figured I would move around the ship through the day, and ultimately I did hit every spot on my list.

This time I had remembered to stick the camera in a ziploc and had grabbed a hand towel, two tools that were supposed to aid in the transition between in and outdoors. You are supposed to keep the camera in the baggie for a few minutes when you first go outside, because it keeps it from getting fogged up while it adjusts to the change in temperature and humidity. And then something about wrapping it in a towel when you go back into air conditioning is supposed to help with...something. I don't know what, but I figured it didn't hurt to try (at least the first time).

While the kids played I stood at the railing watching as we approached the Gatun locks.

17684530129_89cec64133.jpg

17680443500_580219897f.jpg

17867978775_af5db32e15.jpg

17844452906_fc6e811abd.jpg

17681700759_0560244ae6.jpg

17865019732_6750f33125.jpg

17870776225_6ce051dc2c.jpg

We had just fully entered the first lock when Oliver declared himself too thirsty to go on. It would be great if they'd add ice water dispensers to the coffee cart, because it is easy to get dehydrated on a long day like this. I ran back to the room to get him a bottle of water and I grabbed a t-shirt for him, because he was getting hot in his jammies. Of course, I managed to miss most of the first lock! Oh well, I knew there would still be five more through the day, so I didn't let it bother me too much.

17247437243_c87616982a.jpg

It was pretty crazy to realize how close you are to everything. We were having conversations with people who were standing on the side.

17683207380_8851fc0295.jpg

The view pointing down – the ship on the bottom and the side of the lock on top.

17867931995_df96563301.jpg

We moved to the port-side for a while to get a different perspective.

17867847795_dee12b0a8c.jpg

17844355966_599af9462e.jpg

17683143550_b73c4e0c8d.jpg

17870678445_e9f7ac2d1e.jpg

A couple of the ship's photographers were on the shore taking pictures. I found myself in a ton of them. Deck 4, on the outer side seemed to be the place to be for being able to find photos of yourself.

17680272280_7af12cdd55.jpg

I called my mom and my father-in-law using MagicJack, a free app I had downloaded before we left. It hardly took any data to make quick calls, so it was great! They both loaded up the webcams and saw us going through. Granddad texted me this photo while we were still in the locks!

17246669104_6a55493aea.jpg

The boys were starting to get a bit hot and cranky, so we decided to go inside for a while. Elliott wanted to go to the Lab, but Oliver decided to stay with me, at least for the time being. Ollie and I wandered into the atrium at just the right time! We were in the middle of moving up and the portholes on deck 3 were below the walls. So cool!

17867726372_3d90883c4a.jpg

17841459236_a4a6619f57.jpg

And then we turned around and found Cinderella and Rapunzel playing with a group of children. Of course Oliver had to run right in there to join in. They ended up playing hide-and-seek, which was adorable.

17250238983_7dc86e26d8.jpg

Soon Cinderella had to leave, but Tiana quickly showed up to take her place. The whole thing was just one of those perfect Disney experiences. Those ladies were wonderful and I hope they will still be on the ship in October! I have a three-year-old niece that loves Rapunzel and she would have been in ecstasy!

17245237094_50b7fb50d4.jpg

17250227763_56b877989e.jpg

17842737136_b950807f76.jpg

Day Seven, Part Two (May 7, Panama Canal Transit)

After the princesses left Ollie (who did not want to put on real pants) and I went to grab our passports from the room so that we could get them stamped. There were only five or six people in line in front of us, and it went very quickly. When we finished the line was much longer, but still I don't think it would have taken more than five minutes to get through it. Each person didn't have to be present - one person could get them done for the whole group.

We returned the passports to the room safe and then decided to go up to get some pretzels and ice cream and to look for crocodiles in the lake. It was really hot up there!

17248650873_ece2ab30cc.jpg

17680200840_2a32fd343a.jpg

They kept the Funnelvision on the bridge camera all day, which was very cool.

17679921408_ede7a43d3d.jpg

The lake was pretty interesting. There were tons of “islands” which used to be hills or mountains before the area was flooded to create the lake. It is very jungly and green.

17250172973_04b48b95cd.jpg

We spent quite a bit of time standing at the side staring at beaches, looking for crocodiles. When we were in the vicinity of the first lock we had heard them announce that there was one on the opposite side of the ship from where we were standing. The kids didn't care to move, so we had missed it. Well, now I was determined. I thought I saw one, looking a lot like a log but with legs. Then on the next beach I thought I saw another one. The people around us were clearly starting to think I was crazy as I was the only one constantly announcing that I thought I saw a crocodile on every beach we passed. Well:

18100416720_39430ec9d0.jpg

18288183915_06c18c8ef9.jpg

17667663923_d1dde1a6c3.jpg

18100561640_e43cb8080a.jpg

Take that, people who thought I was imagining things! If you'd have listened to me you could have had some pictures to show off to your friends back home!

It was lunchtime, so we went to get Elliott from the Lab. On Canal day they do a barbecue at Beach Blanket Buffet, so that is where we headed. Ollie was thrilled to discover that they had his beloved banana bread, and Elliott loaded up with ribs.

After lunch Oliver decided he was determined to get his tooth out, so we went back to the room so he could work on it. After a bit of frustration, he did it! We stuck it in an envelope for safekeeping and then headed down to guest services so that he could get his button. He wore it for the rest of the trip and told everyone he saw for the next several days that he had lost a tooth. It was major excitement.

17842733476_58fbc8e00c.jpg

Ollie couldn't wait to tell the cast members at the Lab about his tooth (as they all knew it had been loose), so I dropped the boys off and then went up to the cafe with my Kindle for a while. I sat in a window chair again, so I was able to watch the lake passing by. They had the TV on the bridge channel, so I knew when we were approaching the next lock (Pedro Miguel) and was able to head straight up to deck 10. I walked over to the starboard side to check out the new construction. It sure doesn't look like it is close to ready, but I don't really know anything about it.

17248028744_332470a13e.jpg

17248024144_7b975116f1.jpg

17869050865_5d894c1a11.jpg

About that time my camera battery died, so I switched over to using my phone. I don't enjoy holding my phone near the edge of the rail, but you have to do what you have to do. I decided to stand in the pop-out on the port side for this lock, which seemed to be a good vantage point.

17682799439_28f18b5de5.jpg

17869575691_4f7b24910d.jpg

This was just a single lock, so it went pretty quickly. I decided to walk up to the front of the ship as lots of people seemed to be taking a break and there was room. I stood chatting with the various people who occupied that area, which was a lot of fun. We were a ways from the next (and final) set of locks, Miraflores, but it passed pretty quickly.

17246535554_44dfe6eab0.jpg

17869566841_798d733277.jpg

17842718886_7039079fa5.jpg

This ship was in the left lock for quite a long time. We were starting to worry that they were stuck!

17681513020_afede12cf4.jpg

Eventually they moved into the next lock and we moved into the first lock on the right side. Later I was chatting with Captain Puckett and he told me that we scraped the side. I didn't even notice! He also told me that on the first Panama Canal transit Disney did, the Magic hit the side so hard that a porthole popped out. Glad nothing like that happened!

17248623403_19318bb3dc.jpg

Apparently the Disney ship coming through always brings the locals some excitement and many people bring their children down to the visitors center to watch it. Mickey, all decked out in his captain outfit, went out to stand with Captain Robert and wave at them, which is very cool.

17682772489_879a2d5196.jpg

After we went through there I decided to go back down to the room for a while. I wanted to charge up my camera a bit before it was time for dinner. This is when I realized that I had a ton of mosquito bites after standing out on deck! My legs were covered and I even had one on my face. Just what I was hoping for!

Tonight we had the Panama Canal menu in Triton's.

17681413279_bfa8e370e0.jpg

Both of the boys ordered the mini burgers and I got the Warm Cheddar Cheese and Applewood Smoked Bacon Tartlet, the wedge salad, and the California Grill Fire-Roasted Pork Tenderloin. Oh man, that was so delicious. The pork was dijon crusted and served with a zinfandel sauce. I want to try to recreate that at home!

17870526015_56585278a0.jpg

For dessert Elliott opted for the Mocha Cinnamon Creme Brulee off the no sugar added menu. I couldn't decide between the Sweet Temptations trio (strawberry cheesecake, white chocolate panna cotta, and cannoli) and the crème brulee, so that evil Beata brought me both. Of the trio, the panna cotta was by far my favorite, but the crème brulee was also really delicious.

That night they were replaying Avengers: Age of Ultron in the Walt Disney Theater as the main show. Elliott asked if he could sit with the Stitch Club, which was fine by me.

On our way to the theater we ran into Stitch in the hallway. He saw the boys carrying stuffed versions of himself and he came over, grabbed them, and took off running. After a startled moment the boys chased him down and got them back. It was adorable.

17841321116_677e491121.jpg

17247980304_20e55cd469.jpg

Elliott and his friends were actually sitting in the center section of the row in which Ollie and I sat off on the side on the aisle, so hopefully he didn't feel like we were intruding on his independence. Oliver was sleepy, so I made him a little bed on the floor (our area was empty) and he slept through the movie, which meant I got to see the whole thing this time.

When we got back to the room we found our latest towel animal, a dinosaur, and certificates saying we had crossed the canal.

17679857238_e76c1d54a4.jpg

17867573672_6322f311da.jpg

We were all tired after the long day and we settled quickly in to sleep, with Ollie's tooth carefully tucked under his pillow. He had become convinced that Tinker Bell was going to come, since the tooth fairy was in San Diego. I loved this, because he's my little cynic. He has never believed that the characters are anything other than people wearing costumes, so it was so sweet to hear him say that.

Last edited:
First of all: I am envious that you got a Panama Canal Crossing Certificate!! I don't think that we got one!!

I absolutely love your tour of Cartagena. I was a bit annoyed at myself that I was too timid to not take a Disney excursion. It was nice enough, but your experience sounds just wonderful. If I am ever back there, I really need to do something like you did. I am also happy that Elliott seems to get over his fear of being somewhere foreign.

It sounds like you really had a great canal day. Your experience with the princesses is something that I noticed happening quite a bit during our PC cruise. It seemed that especially the princesses often would spend time in the atrium and surroundings and you could tell that they definitely had formed firm friendships with some of the kids by the end of the cruise. I thought this was so lovely!

I had no idea that there was a tooth button! How fun!!

Oh - and finally I absolutely loved your dress for formal night! You looked wonderful that evening and your updo looks perfect to me. I wish I was able to do something so sophisticated with my own hair.

I'm enjoying your trip report! I'm hoping to go next May! Thank you for sharing!

Hi Erin...

What a great trip report! I have enjoyed reading it. I was your trivia partner on Day 4 of the cruise.
I had a great time and look forward to having the opportunity one day to play another game of trivia
with you.

:flower2: :fish:

First of all: I am envious that you got a Panama Canal Crossing Certificate!! I don't think that we got one!!

I absolutely love your tour of Cartagena. I was a bit annoyed at myself that I was too timid to not take a Disney excursion. It was nice enough, but your experience sounds just wonderful. If I am ever back there, I really need to do something like you did. I am also happy that Elliott seems to get over his fear of being somewhere foreign.

The Disney tours saw some things that looked very pretty, like up close to the fort and some of the museums, but I am glad we got the chance to really experience Cartagena with a local, in neighborhoods where the tours didn't bother to go. I feel like it was a very different experience than we would have had driving around on a bus, and even on the walking tours I think the groups are so much larger that I wouldn't ask to stop at a shop to get some water or to take a break. The tour was very reasonably priced, too. There was some negotiating that happened, partly based on lowering the price for children, but we ended up paying $75 plus like $20 or so for food. I think they estimated $10 per person for food, but we left early and shared some items. $15-20 in cab fares added onto that still made it a very affordable excursion for three people.

It sounds like you really had a great canal day. Your experience with the princesses is something that I noticed happening quite a bit during our PC cruise. It seemed that especially the princesses often would spend time in the atrium and surroundings and you could tell that they definitely had formed firm friendships with some of the kids by the end of the cruise. I thought this was so lovely!

It was just wonderful! On our seven-day cruise we saw the characters a lot, too, but this just felt different. They really let them get out there and make friends and do different things beyond just hanging out for pictures and chats. One night I saw a little girl sitting with Tiana for like half an hour, totally BFFs. It was so sweet!

Oh - and finally I absolutely loved your dress for formal night! You looked wonderful that evening and your updo looks perfect to me. I wish I was able to do something so sophisticated with my own hair.

Thank you so much! I figured that I did all I could to make sure it looked ok, and if it didn't, I couldn't see it anyway! I got that dress right before I found out I was pregnant with Oliver and only had one chance to wear it before I got all huge. Now I rarely have opportunities to get dressed up so it's my "go to" formal night dress for cruises. :)

I'm enjoying your trip report! I'm hoping to go next May! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! You should definitely go... it was an amazing trip. And I highly recommend finding your cruise group, because while this trip would still have been wonderful, they really took it to a completely different level!

Hi Erin...

What a great trip report! I have enjoyed reading it. I was your trivia partner on Day 4 of the cruise.
I had a great time and look forward to having the opportunity one day to play another game of trivia
with you.

:flower2: :fish:

Hi! Thanks for playing with me! It was so nice to find trivia friends! I do hope to see you guys on another cruise one day. You seemed like a lot of fun!

Last edited:

Your trip sounds amazing. Enjoying reading everything. I am so glad to see that you are have the best time with your boys. these will be the memories that will last you a lifetime.

Erin, I cannot believe how much of the Panama Canal crossing I missed. I think I burned myself out in the first few hours - it was just so hot and humid up on deck 10. We never even made it down to deck 4, how bad is that? Oh well, I guess there is always next time. On the plus side, not one single mosquito bite did I get that day :thumbsup2

Day Eight (May 8, At Sea)

This was probably my favorite day of the trip. I had tons of stuff marked in the Navigator app and a lot to look forward to!

This morning was our scheduled character breakfast, but after two very busy days and a late night ahead, none of us were feeling up to dragging ourselves out of bed early. Instead we slept in and had a quick breakfast at the buffet before Elliott went to the Lab. It was around this time that we learned that all children are allowed to check themselves into the club, they just can't check out without parental permission. They told me that if a child is wandering around and gets lost they can just be brought to the Lab so that they are in a safe, known place, and their parents would be able to locate them. Makes sense. I wasn't ready for Elliott to be able to check out, but I started giving him a bit more freedom. It turned out to be very handy.

Oliver and I walked around the ship for a while before going to Cruisin' for Trivia, which is just general trivia. Since it was multiple choice I let Ollie pick a bunch of the answers. We didn't win, but it was fun to see what he decided on. My favorite part was when the question was, “What was the name of the cruise director on The Love Boat?” and they hadn't even put up the choices yet when Oliver leaped out of his seat and hollered, “Julie!” Child has some eclectic taste.

After trivia we walked around a bit more, finding ourselves by the ice cream machines and then getting pretzels. We were up on deck when they started the Captain vs. Cruise Director Wii Bowling challenge, so we decided to just hang out by the pizza place to watch. Ryan, Christa, Joe, and Andrea were there, so we had fun company.

17682952540_2e705b8046.jpg

At one point cast member Andy, who was hosting the event, came over to interview “the boy who had lost his tooth.”

17247963784_bce4e8daef.jpg

He asked Oliver what he thought the penalty should be for the loser. Oliver told him the loser should have to go in the pool. Poor Clayton...

17679817958_ee8c9f2fd7.jpg

17684210759_b140b95c21.jpg

Oliver was sure to apologize afterward, though he was rather pleased with himself.

17247208803_a63a5ba00e.jpg

It was time for Pixar trivia so all of us decided to go play. We got there and Oliver declared that he wanted to go to the Lab instead. I was trying to decide if I trusted him enough to find his way from the Promenade Lounge to the Lab (two floors up from the nearby atrium), but Joe offered to walk him up as long as Ollie knew the way. It was very sweet. We did pretty well, but we still lost by two. I have to say, though, we were a pretty good team!

During trivia an announcement came over the PA saying that due to unrest we were going to be skipping our scheduled port stop in Puerto Vallarta. We'd be having an extra sea day instead. This news was very disappointing as we had booked an excursion to Las Caletas, which we'd previously done in 2012. We had really been looking forward to it – even Elliott, who had already told me he would not get off the boat in Cabo. Christa and Ryan told me they were thinking of doing a beach day, maybe get some tacos, in Cabo, and we could join them if we'd like. When I presented it to Elliott later, he declared that it sounded 73% ok and he'd think about it.

After trivia we chatted for a little bit and then dispersed. I decided to take my Kindle up to deck 4 to read in one of the loungers.

17247942424_3b429d4827.jpg

It was very bright and I'd forgotten my sunglasses, so I didn't last too long. I stopped by the Lab to see if the kids wanted to get some lunch, but they decided to just get some lunch there. So I went up to grab a little something at the buffet, followed by another ice cream cone. On the days when banana or pineapple-coconut were available I had as many cones as I could.

I went down to the room to get my sunglasses and run a brush through my wind-tangled hair, and I found two backpacks for tonight's sleepover in the kid's clubs.

17870976541_017d137a8a.jpg

There was a sheet inside each containing information and instructions for the campout.

18070929665_440280cf80.jpg

I wonder if any parents gave into the temptation NOT to pick their kids up at 9 the next morning.

I had a little while before my mixology class (privately arranged through our cruise group) started at 2, so I sat in one of the chairs on deck 4 above the atrium with my book. The atrium was actually starting to get crowded because the Pixar Pals party was going to be happening at 2. I was sad that we were going to miss it, but what can you do?

A few minutes before 2 I headed back to the Cadillac Lounge to check in for mixology. I had no clue if I was going to know anyone that was there, so I just sat in the chairs nearest to the door. Luckily Christa and Ryan showed up shortly thereafter, followed by another couple I was friendly with, Christina and Frank. Now, I am going to admit that I don't remember too many specifics of mixology. I will do my best.

When we sat down there were five drinks already made: four small cocktails and one shot. As we were trying each drink a few members of the group were called up to make a full-size version of the cocktail. We were told that we had to stay until we drank every drop of any drink we made ourselves. In addition to this, we were missing quite a few members of the group – probably 8-10 (guessing they were dancing with Pixar characters). So, there were lots of extra drinks.

The first drink we tried was tequila-based and I think it had blue Curacao in it. I don't like tequila at all, so it wasn't my favorite. Christina and Christa both made this one.

17247931414_587d0af2bf.jpg

I'm pretty sure the next drink was a Bahama Mama made with Malibu. That is more my speed...delicious! The third drink was the one I made, and I don't really remember much about it. There was cranberry, sweet & sour, and 7-Up in it. Probably vodka, based on the rest of it. It was pretty tasty, though the one on the table was crazy sour. The one I made was much sweeter.

17680075800_32991600e0.jpg

I don't remember what the fourth drink was, but I remember that it was good! The last drink was the shot, which was Bailey's, Kalua, and... something. Someone else who was there may be able to fill in the details. Remember, I rarely ever drink. I was fairly tipsy.

After mixology ended, a bunch of us stayed there chatting. Christa mentioned that there was a party at the adult pool area that night, after the campout started. I wasn't sure about that, but I liked the idea of a grown-up activity during my night of freedom, so I told them I would look for them there.

It was time for Ultimate Disney Trivia in the Promenade Lounge, so Christa, Ryan, and I went down that way, where we found Joe and Andrea, along with another couple from our cruise group, Brendon and Athene. I was a bit nervous about trying to play trivia right after mixology, but we did quite well.

Right after that was Disney music trivia, so we just stayed where we were. We only got one answer wrong, but we still lost when three teams had all the answers right. I was slightly frustrated because I totally knew that last answer (Sherman brothers), but their last name just slipped my mind. However, I really hate tie breakers, so it was just as well!

Between mixology and trivia I was having quite a fun afternoon. These were some truly great people and I am so glad I met them all!

By the time trivia was over it was almost time for dinner, so I went to pick the kids up from the Lab. It was semi-formal night and I have to admit that I was not really in the mood to get dressed up! I put on my comfiest dress that fit the suggested attire and made the kids wear button-up shirts. That was as far as I could go that night!

We were in Animator's Palate for the Toy Story 3D menu, which the kids got a kick out of. They enjoyed wearing their 3D glasses to read the menu.

17844115986_63accc1b49.jpg

17841255366_910f32e75f.jpg

Both boys ordered chicken noodle soup, Elliott with macaroni and cheese and Ollie with pasta. I also ordered them smoothies that came in a cup with a light-up Buzz Lightyear. They thought that was very cool. I had Sid's Mexican Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup, which was delicious, LGM's Orange and Roasted Beetroot Salad, also very good, and Sheriff Woody's Favorite Marinated Delmonico Ribeye Steak. Elliott got bored very early and left for the Lab, but Oliver wanted to try the bubblegum sundae. I was way too full for dessert, but Beata brought me out an apple cobbler. I ate a little bit, but I truly was stuffed.

17870446255_de6c23febc.jpg

After dinner Ollie and I found that Dug and Mrs. Incredible were in the lobby with not-so-long lines, so we hopped in to see Dug. He is my absolute favorite Disney character and I have been trying for years to catch him at Disneyland, so this was very exciting for me. As soon as it was our turn, Oliver yelled, “Squirrel!” and of course, Dug looked. Well, then the photographer wanted Oliver to look at her for the picture, so she said, “Squirrel.” Oliver looked. I loved it.

17868098831_632281198f.jpg

17681313089_02d2df22d7.jpg

We also had time to go through Mrs. Incredible's line, which we did because moms are the best super heroes.

17245040664_d3c151a60b.jpg

17245029944_724e7a7c0d.jpg

At this point Oliver started telling everyone we met that his name was Olaf and he liked warm hugs. And then he hugged them. It was really cute, and luckily he didn't run into anyone that didn't think it was great. This included cast members and guests alike.

We went up to the pool deck to get some blankets for the sleepover, as I felt like the ones on their beds were too bulky and everything was meant to fit in their little backpacks. We watched Frozen on Funnelvision for a while before it was time to get the boys ready for the campout. We swung by the Lab on our way back to the room, to pick up Elliott.

Nerissa had put the kids' pillows out for them, since they didn't need their beds made up. The boys put on their new Mickey jammies, stuffed their stuffed Stitches and blankets into the backpacks, and we headed down to the Lab to drop them off. I had my Wave phone with me, as per instructions.

I still wasn't sure what the pool party would be like, as the description in the Navigator read: “Join us as we transform Quiet Cove into a 'night club under the stars' celebrating our arrival into the Pacific.” I wasn't really wanting to go dancing, but I decided to head up and check it out. I didn't see Christa and Ryan, so I went and sat off to the side, thinking that I might just end up heading back to the room. I was having a bit of worry that I'd be intruding on private vacation time if I was hanging out with people too much. That sort of feeling is a very unfortunate side effect of being shy and maybe a bit messed up by all of the crummy stuff that had been happening in real life.

Well, am I glad I decided to wait a little while, because I ended up having such a great night! Within a few minutes Christa and Ryan showed up, and we went to find a table. Joe, Andrea, Athene, and Brendon were all there, so we joined them off to the port-side of the pool. At some point Lisa and Matt (Noah's parents from day 1), and Lisa's mom Peggy, also joined us. We sat and watched (and Christa participated) as they did a trivia game that basically was a way to get crew members (including Captain Robert) into the pool. The questions were so hard that almost no one would know the answers.

After that, the crew had a lip sync battle, which was hilarious. I'm pretty sure it was Lesley, Clayton, and Andy... can't remember if there was a fourth person. They were all really good! The winner was to join the rest of the crew in the pool. I don't even know who won, as by the end the entire entertainment staff and many other officers were in the pool having what looked to be the time of their lives. It really felt like it was a night for guests and crew to really cut loose a bit.

At one point it started raining a little bit and lots of people cleared out. We just stayed in place, because what's a little rain? Someone in a suit hustled over to the pool to talk to Captain Robert, who leaped out and went running off. That made me a little bit nervous. However, it must not have been anything important as a few minutes later he returned and got right back into the pool.

There was a DJ that played until midnight or so, so we sat there listening, chatting, and having drinks of the day. We lost the non-parents in the 10-11 zone, but the rest of us were in it for the long haul.

Shortly after the DJ finished up Lisa and Matt got a call from the club saying that Noah wanted to be picked up, so they headed off. A little while later they came back – Grandma agreed to watch Noah so that Mom and Dad could have their night out! Yay, Grandma! Lisa told me that it had been utter chaos down there. Cast members going door-to-door looking for parents, kids yelling... she said she hadn't seen Elliott or Oliver, so that was good.

The five of us ended up staying there chatting until 2:00AM, well after the ship was shut down for the night. We were joined briefly toward the end by Richard, who was the husband of Sue and one of the group I'd joined for trivia the second day of the trip.

It was way past all of our bedtimes, so we finally called it a night. When I got back to the room I discovered that my Wave Phone had died and Elliott had sent a text asking to be picked up shortly after midnight. It was just one text and no phone messages, so I wasn't too concerned. I have to admit that I'm kind of glad I hadn't gotten it until it was too late, as I am sure I would have gone to get him and I'd have missed out on one of my favorite parts of the trip. He had just decided he didn't particularly feel like sleeping on the floor, but it ended up being just fine.

Erin, I cannot believe how much of the Panama Canal crossing I missed. I think I burned myself out in the first few hours - it was just so hot and humid up on deck 10. We never even made it down to deck 4, how bad is that? Oh well, I guess there is always next time. On the plus side, not one single mosquito bite did I get that day :thumbsup2

I think starting on deck 4 was the thing that let me keep going. It was just so crazy hot and humid, but at least down there we were in the shade and there were those plush loungers if you needed one! I didn't notice mosquitoes buzzing around, but they obviously noticed me. As soon as I saw the bites I put on some bug spray, but it was already too late. I still have faint remnants of the welts!

we loved seeing Dug too. mom got the cutest pictures with him. have to watch out for Mrs Incredible though, she poked me in the ear with her pointy hair when she hugged me!!!!

what a great idea to do the kids campout on the night of the pool party. one of my tablemates went and said it was the most fun event the whole two weeks. Im sorry now that I missed it!

Such a great trip report so far and I'm really enjoying reliving the trip all over again through this. Your boys are adorable, wish I would have run into him when he was "Olaf" - I would have loved to have had a warm hug! You got some excellent pictures on Canal day, I never made it down to Deck 4 and wish I would have. I would give anything right now for one of those pretzels or the banana/coconut ice cream cone! Looking forward to reading more Erin!

Such a great trip report so far and I'm really enjoying reliving the trip all over again through this. Your boys are adorable, wish I would have run into him when he was "Olaf" - I would have loved to have had a warm hug! You got some excellent pictures on Canal day, I never made it down to Deck 4 and wish I would have. I would give anything right now for one of those pretzels or the banana/coconut ice cream cone! Looking forward to reading more Erin!

Well, if we are on the same cruise again I'm sure Oliver will be happy to give out warm hugs. I could so go for a cone... the ice cream at home just isn't quite the same! And if I keep trying to convince myself that it could be I will gain more than I lost before the trip!

Day Nine (May 9, At Sea)

At 8:30 I was awakened by the Wave phone buzzing, a text from the Club with a reminder that they were closing at 9. Any kids that were still there would automatically be checked in to the Lab, but I wanted to get them so I hauled myself out of bed, took a quick shower, and got the boys at the Club.

They had already eaten breakfast, so Elliott wanted to go to the room. I made Oliver go up to deck 9 with me so that I could get a couple of Mango Mountain Hikes from Goofy's Galley before they closed at 9. We also swung by the coffee station, because I needed some caffeine, and then we headed back to the room to chill for a while. Today was another day without a lot on our schedule, so we were going to take advantage of a quiet day.

The boys turned on the TV and watched Bolt while I read. Then we ordered some room service – Elliott got his favorite, a ham, turkey, and swiss sandwich, while Ollie and I got cheeseburgers.

17869040145_973731aa40.jpg

Elliott scarfed down his sandwich and was still hungry, so I went to cut a piece off of Oliver's barely touched burger for him and realized the bun had a little mold on it. I was a little bit grossed out because I'd eaten all but a bite of my burger, but I understand that these things happen. The weather had been incredibly humid the entire trip. I debated whether or not to even call room service, because I didn't want someone to get in trouble, but I decided that I should let them know so that they could check the rest of the buns. I made sure they knew I wasn't even slightly upset, but turned down replacement burgers. We decided to go up and get some ice cream a little later instead.

Tangled came on the TV next, so the kids decided to watch that for a while and then we were ready for some ice cream. The boys had gotten root beer float kits in the FE, so they brought them up, while I had a cone. After that Elliott was ready to go to the Lab, but Oliver and I were tired, so we went back to the room to try to take a nap.

Oliver was restless and having trouble falling asleep, which in turn kept me from falling asleep. Every time I would get close, I'd hear, “Mommy?” Right when we both were starting to drift off, there was a knock on the door. It was the food manager (or something like that...I was half-asleep) with a room service attendant. They had brought a huge plate of cheese, walnuts, and blueberries, and what looked like an entire box of crackers, to apologize for the moldy bun. I thanked them and again reassured them that it hadn't been a big deal. They were very nice.

17870435655_520879fd8e.jpg

A few minutes later there was another knock on the door and they were back with Mickey bars and Mickey krispie treats. That was really kind of them, though I have to admit I was not even a little bit hungry by this time! I ate a couple bites of my Mickey bar, and Oliver ate most of this, but oy, I was starting to feel over-stuffed.

17867495732_b6e6b0b27d.jpg

17250000643_236d519bce.jpg

Today at 2, while another group mixology class was taking place, I was going to hang out with Krissa and Sharon. Krissa's parents wanted to do mixology, but Krissa isn't old enough to attend and her medical needs mean she can't be left alone. After dropping Ollie at the Lab, I went to meet up with everyone outside the Cadillac Lounge. Sharon got a quick lesson on driving Krissa's wheelchair and we decided to head up to the Cove Cafe for drinks and chit-chat. Oliver's tea party was at 3, and I invited Krissa and Sharon to come since Elliott had not changed his mind. Krissa said that sounded like fun.

Sharon did a great job driving and we found a comfy spot to sit, in the area in front of the TV. I went to order our drinks while Sharon and Krissa chatted. I ordered a decaf herbal tea blend (chamomile and peppermint), because I was still optimistic that I'd find time to take a nap that afternoon. Hah. I have to say, I should have ordered what Krissa was having. It was some kind of coffee-free cookies and cream frappe, and it looked delicious. They actually put a whole chocolate chip cookie into the blender with the drink. Next time I'm on the ship I need to remember that one.

It was a lot of fun hanging out with Krissa and Sharon, and the time passed very quickly. Soon it was time to go down to the tea party, which was being held in Triton's. I decided to hop off the elevator on deck 5 to get Oliver from the Lab, while Krissa and Sharon continued on down to Triton's. Oliver and I got to the back entrance and I explained the changes to our party. They were totally accommodating and put us at a table near the accessible entrance. Oliver and I were told that we should still go wait in the line out front, as they were announcing each party as they entered.

The line was pretty long, but it moved quickly. Each little girl was given a princess sash (and maybe a tiara?) and each boy was given a crown, and then they were announced to the room. It was so cute.

17682595638_630f4cf4e0.jpg

17864623482_a7ed87d717.jpg

There were finger sandwiches on the table and they came around offering apple juice in tea cups. They also brought plates of chocolate chip cookies. It was pretty nice! Ariel came out to thank everyone for coming and introduced Cinderella, Tiana, and Rapunzel as her special guests. The four of them went around the tables to take photographs.

17249984653_787b90a7f6.jpg

17864612912_b5af3e6359.jpg

17681270629_ae8fe6056e.jpg

They brought out a final plate of goodies...

17868039451_9d97a389b5.jpg

...and then did a couple of activities – taught the girls to curtsy and the boys to bow, taught the kids how to do a pageant wave, and Rapunzel taught them how to do her dance from Tangled.

17684134739_5c43e22e6c.jpg

After they said goodbye, Princess Minnie, Princess Daisy, Suzy & Perla (mice from Cinderella), and Sofia the First joined the party. Somewhere during all of this Sharon had to leave and Krissa's parents, Paulette and Dan, joined us after finishing up mixology. Krissa soon decided that she was ready to leave, so it was then just me and Ollie. Poor Ollie – we were tucked in the back corner and the characters kept skipping him. I was able to get the attention of a couple of the handlers, but I think his feelings were a little hurt. However, he bounced right back and forgot all about it.

When the tea party ended we stopped at the Lab to pick up Elliott so we could all get ready for pirate night. The only picture of me from that night is my “check my hair” picture.

17246513094_e3ba221d0e.jpg

Elliott decided to hang out in the room until dinner, while Ollie and I went to check out all the piratey people around the ship.

17844023806_ea3d41a4e2.jpg

So, Oliver is a pip. This child just kills me. He got into his full pirate gear and then went striding around the ship hollering, “Ahoy, Matey!” and challenging people. I pretty much just followed him around with the camera, giggling. I really need to get a GoPro for the future!

At one point we found ourselves near the shops and popped in to buy plastic swords for the boys. They were just $7 each and the kids absolutely loved them.

Soon it was time for dinner so Oliver and I swung past the room to pick up Elliott and give him his sword, then we went to Parrot Cay for the pirate-themed dinner. I know a lot of people skip this one, but I particularly enjoy it. Only thing is, I can't make up my mind so I end up eating so much!

17682532338_2ef25f5ccb.jpg

Elliott ordered the steak off the kid's menu, while Ollie got the macaroni and cheese. I ordered two appetizers: the Buccaneers Sun-Ripened Pineapple and the Pirates Golden Potstickers. Both are so tasty. Oliver ate quite a bit of my pineapple, which was helpful.

17684082829_6ac921c430.jpg

17870349945_b8e69d74cb.jpg

For my main course I got the Dutchman's Dijon Crusted Sirloin of Beef. This is one of my favorite main dining room steaks. I don't have a picture, because I inhaled it before I could get one. I'm telling you, though, it is very good. I ate almost every steak they had on the menu, so I know!

I kept Elliott as long as I could, but he was getting bored so I let him head off to the club. Ollie stayed while I ate my dessert. I ordered the Coconut Cream Treasure and Beata also brought me a Banana-Chocolate Filled Crepe, because she's pure evil. I ate as much as I could, and I did get Oliver to help me eat the crepe.

17870344215_980bf89549.jpg

17684065519_07a93f26d3.jpg

After dessert the servers paraded around the room and then invited the kids to join them and go under a limbo stick. Of course Oliver leaped right in there.

17841115956_aa1ec4f447.jpg

The pirate party wasn't until much later, so Oliver joined Elliott at the Lab while I went to Diversions for some Broadway trivia. It was really crowded in there, apparently because there was a hockey game on. I found an empty seat and ended up sitting with the sign language interpreters. I was glad to get a chance to tell them how wonderful I thought they were. However, the trivia got moved next door to Wave Bands so the hockey people could enjoy their game in peace. I guess hockey and Broadway aren't a good match!

Broadway trivia was fun, but hard. It's really hard for me to go back and try to remember an answer once we've moved on and are hearing new music.

After trivia I picked Ollie up from the Lab to try to get a nap in, but we ran into Nerissa, our stateroom hostess, in the hallway and got to chatting. Oliver and Nerissa had forged a bond, largely because she has a son back home in Jamaica. Her son is a teenager, but there's just something about Ollie. We went to get Elliott and headed up to deck 9 for the pirate party.

The kids rampaged around with their friends, challenging each other to sword fights.

17247794964_bf2c062ef4.jpg

18071834811_9f76dde451.jpg

There was a deck game for the kids, which involved clearing everyone that wasn't playing off the pool deck. I sat on the side of the deck and watched. The boys had a ton of fun playing what amounted to a motion-based video game on the Funnelvision. After the game ended the kids went back to dancing and adults flooded onto the deck.

Unfortunately, this is when the night stopped being fun for us. I could see Elliott pretty much all the time and had figured the boys were together, but after a little while I realized that I couldn't spot Oliver. I stood up to get a better vantage point, but still couldn't find him, so I started walking around the edge of the deck. All the kids were similarly dressed, so I figured it was making it harder to pick him out of the crowd. I told Elliott that I couldn't find Ollie and asked him to keep his eyes out.

At some point during this the actual pirate party started up and things were getting really crowded. I started to just panic, thinking about all the things that can happen to a tiny person on a cruise ship. I ran to the Mickey pool area but it was blocked off and there were nets over the various pool sections. I looked in the jacuzzis in the pirate area, same thing. I did a circuit of the deck, then another and another. I was really starting to realize that he wasn't there and I just didn't know what to do.

I wanted to somehow interrupt the party, but I thought I was probably overreacting. This goes along with what I mentioned in an earlier post – so many bad things have happened in the last several years that I am always expecting/waiting for the next one. Therefore I tend to try to dial myself back a bit since realistically I know that every moment isn't holding tragedy. However this may sometimes result in me forcing myself to hold back when I shouldn't.

After standing to the side of the stage for a minute, debating about whether or not to try to get the attention of one of the cast members that were dancing among the crowd, I decided to do another circuit, at the edge of a full-on panic attack. Elliott was also looking for Oliver and was upset that he couldn't find him.

Then I saw one of the yellow and blue shirts of the kids club counselors. I fought my way through the crowd to him and told him what was going on. He instantly called down to the Lab on his wave phone and told me that there was an Oliver who had been brought in after getting lost at the pirate party. At that point I lost it and started crying, because all of the fear and panic I'd been holding in just exploded under the force of my relief.

I saw Elliott's friend, Jonathan, near the side of the stage, so I asked him to tell Elliott that I was going down to the Lab to pick up Oliver. I ran down to deck 5 as fast as I could and there he was, sitting at a computer playing.

After lots of hugs I got the story out of him... after the pirate game ended he got caught up in the crowd and ended up on the other side of the deck. He couldn't remember where I'd been sitting and started to cry. Two nice girls saw him and found a crew member to help, who brought him down to the Lab. Exactly as it was supposed to happen. It had happened so quickly that he was probably already gone when I started to look for him. I don't know how long all of this took, but I'm sure it wasn't as long as it felt. I started to cry again when I was thanking the cast members at the Lab. I think everyone on the ship must have seen me cry that day.

Later Oliver would say getting lost was his favorite part of the day, because everyone was so nice to him.

We went back up to deck 9 to find Elliott, who had been informed that Ollie was found. He was still very subdued, but he was happy. The three of us stood together and had just finished lots of hugs when Mickey showed up to save the day and ziplined over our heads. I had forgotten all about the fireworks and everything by that point. It was great, as usual, and helped the boys to feel better. However, neither of them felt up to the buffet (which had an insane line) so we decided to call it a night.

Back in the room the boys exclaimed over their towel monkey.

17679636018_9d35508def.jpg

And they each got a certificate for attending the campout:

17450396513_8c2fef7866.jpg

Elliott had a snack of some of the cheese and crackers (which I'd put into ziploc bags). Up was on the TV, so we put that on while the boys fell asleep. It had been a long night, so it didn't take long for them. Quite a bit longer for me, on the other hand.

I'm loving your report. We turned in a little girl who had lost her way at the Frozen party. She walked around us a few times and I alerted a cast member. As soon as he walked up to her she burst into tears. He immediately brought her to the kids club and used the magic band to call her parents. It's a good system. Makes me feel better about bringing my niece and nephew.

I'm loving your report. We turned in a little girl who had lost her way at the Frozen party. She walked around us a few times and I alerted a cast member. As soon as he walked up to her she burst into tears. He immediately brought her to the kids club and used the magic band to call her parents. It's a good system. Makes me feel better about bringing my niece and nephew.

It's a great system! They had tried to call the wave phone, but I wasn't carrying it since the kids were both with me. I do wish they would allow you to register your Navigator app code with the kids club so they could text you on your phone instead of sending everything to the wave phone. I'm not sure that I would have noticed calls or texts on either, because I wasn't even thinking of that. I was just panicking and imagining what could happen to him and went into "I must find my baby" mode. It's great that they take them to the Lab/Club, because it is a safe place where there are people they know. It instantly takes them out of being lost and puts them somewhere familiar.

I am loving this TR! thank you for sharing :goodvibes

I just wanted to say I agree with you about the Pirate night menu - It is actually my favourite of the MDR menus and I still dream of that steak (my last pirate night was almost 2 years ago :sad1: so shows how great it is)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter