I Got Both Cars in the Garage

Wow, that house is all kinds of architectural eyesore. Yikes.
Yeah..the homes here def. look better than that on average when they have multi-garages.

That house in the pic is like they were going for the record for the number of exterior features lol.

This reminded me when both kids lived at home and there were 4 cars: 2 in the garage and 2 in the driveway. We'd call "musical cars" and everyone got their keys and we relocated by who had to leave first in the morning. Thanks for making me remember this.
Yes, I got you beat. 2 kids, each with a car, DW and I, each with a car, and our "family car" So 5 was the norm. And for a few days after my mom passed away and I sold her car, 6 cars.

I can't stand not having our cars parked in the garage. We have always been able to keep them in the garage with creative storage for bikes, tools, etc. But when we ended up building on to our house, we added another one car garage. Now all of that stuff goes in that garage and our other garage is just for the cars. It is sooo nice!

I would love to be able to do this, but we have 4 bicycles that are expensive so I won't store them outside and we use them too frequently to deal with bike racks.

Still waiting for DH to move his fishing boat so I can use that spot for the car. Not sure what he's waiting for unless he plans on using it to ice fish!! :rolleyes:

DH is too cheap to pay a couple of hundred a month to store the jet skis in the winter. His car is outside from November thru March. My car is in the garage all year and both are in it when the jet skis are at our lake house.

You ladies might put junk all through your garages. Some of us guys utilize the garage as a workshop. I can warm up my car from being outside. It's tough to be milling lumber out in the back yard in a blizzard.

Yeah, I had a 24x24 garage. Housed a motorcycle, tractor, snow blower, tiller, lawn mower, a LOT of tools, woodworking saws and equipment, bicycles, and a kayak. No room for a car if I had the saws out working.

Oh, and all the shop stuff had to cohabitate with a bunch of garbage the wife would always decide she didn't want in the house, so bagged up and dropped right behind the door for me to trip over.

Owning my own home 21 years ago was the first time I’ve ever been able to park in the garage. Now I will never go back! The snow blower and generator are the only necessities to fit with our cars, for everything else it either gets stored in the shed, or given away. It also helps that DH isn’t handy at all, so there are no man tools or anything.

We had a two and a half car garage when I was growing up, and it was the perfect size for two cars plus bikes, lawn equipment, tools, etc. The house I am in now is just a two car garage and we have to park the riding mower sideways in front of one of the cars to make everything fit. The HOA won’t allow sheds of any type, and won’t allow any outside storage. All vehicles have to fit in the garage or on the driveway. My neighbors have four cars which they park on the driveway. I don’t know what is in the two car garage . . .

You ladies might put junk all through your garages. Some of us guys utilize the garage as a workshop. I can warm up my car from being outside. It's tough to be milling lumber out in the back yard in a blizzard.

Yeah, I had a 24x24 garage. Housed a motorcycle, tractor, snow blower, tiller, lawn mower, a LOT of tools, woodworking saws and equipment, bicycles, and a kayak. No room for a car if I had the saws out working.

Oh, and all the shop stuff had to cohabitate with a bunch of garbage the wife would always decide she didn't want in the house, so bagged up and dropped right behind the door for me to trip over.
lol nothing in the garage is my stuff. My stuff is in the unfinished basement thank you very much :) There is our stuff things for the yard, stuff for woodworking, stuff for autos, the snowblower, etc though all of that is concentrated in the 3rd car bay. It's why I suggested we build shelves after we finished the epoxy and painting on the walls because it was great timing to get random yard stuff and a few other nick nack things for the house off the floor. We still have more shelves to build though.

I'm the one who had us clean out the garage when we were painting the walls and epoxying the floor. If it was up to my husband he would have not gone through anything ;)

I only park in the garage under threat of extreme weather. We store bikes, lawn equip, big freezer, sports equipment and a workshop area along the edges in our two car garage, so only room for one car, despite being well organized. I prefer to keep the workspace available. It feels very claustrophobic with a car in the garage. To me, having enough space for cars in the garage is a luxury that we haven't prioritized.

We had a two and a half car garage when I was growing up, and it was the perfect size for two cars plus bikes, lawn equipment, tools, etc. The house I am in now is just a two car garage and we have to park the riding mower sideways in front of one of the cars to make everything fit. The HOA won’t allow sheds of any type, and won’t allow any outside storage. All vehicles have to fit in the garage or on the driveway. My neighbors have four cars which they park on the driveway. I don’t know what is in the two car garage . . .

I hate HOA's!! We lived in a couple different subdivisions in different states during dh's transferring days, but now that we've settled - no way! (In one place we had an acceptance letter from them to build a beautiful deck, but when they came around checking the following spring, sent us threatening letters to have it torn down, fines, etc. - also to put a lien on our home when we transferred - 'then' we sent them a copy of 'their' dated letter - not a peep more out of them)

We do have restrictive covenants here, but they're really more protective than restrictive, which is great. We have minimum 1 acre here, and we have 2 1/2 and it's allowed to have 1 anysize outbuilding in same architecture as home. Ours houses our motorhome, shop, plus tractor, mower, etc. We could never park our cars outside, the inconvenience of the seasons, plus the weather is horrible on vehicles.

Living in a harsh winter climate, I’ve never understood people here who have garages but don’t park in them. I can’t think of anything important enough to own (and store) that would cause me to willingly park outside. :laughing: We lived briefly in a home that only had a single garage and that meant whoever was leaving first had to park outside on the driveway. 5 days out of 7 that was me. :sad1: Hard times.

Right? There’s nothing worse than having to spend 20 minutes brushing off your car and then having to scrape all the ice. Our best day ever was when we moved to a house with a garage.

When we bought our current house five years ago, one of the few reasons I agreed was because it was the first house we have ever owned with an attached garage. DH knows all bets are off if my vehicles don't fit in there at any point in time. Right now we have an ORV and DH's project car (parked sideways) in the back, with van/subaru (aka everyday cars) in the front. DH's beater truck lives outside, too bad, so sad. There's also tons of "precious items to DH" around the edges. Let's just say that when I snug the van in there after work all those warning sensors are screaming at me for items that are close!

Would NEVER be without a garage again in this climate.....

Terri

I wish ours was a 2.5 car instead of a true 2 car. We could put both cars in if we had a little more space around the edges for other garage stuff.

We ran a business out of our house for awhile. The garage was the merchandise storage as was the basement.
Then we got all of that out of the house but could still only put one car in the garage because I use the other half for my refinish furniture work space. Only had one piece left to finish and haven't had time to do it. Ugh.
Then my daughter bought a new vintage dresser and that is in the garage until she can redo it. Then we finally found the king bed that matched the rest of our bedroom furniture but in order to get it we had to buy the whole bedroom set so the extra stuff is in the garage. It's gonna be put in one of our kids rooms as a guest bedroom when they 100% move out once college is done.

And the rest of the space is currently filled up with everything from the basement because we are having the polybutylene pipes replaced this week so who knows how long it will be before all that ends up back in the basement since my husband says he's going to go through it all.

So maybe in another 10 years I'll be able to park my vehicle in the garage. LOL

grew up in the far north so we always kept cars in the garage. Now live in the far south and think we are some of the very very few that try to park the cars in the garage. It is pretty hard since we don't have any basements to store things in, but we still make it work. A little bit harder since we bought our son a junker. Always tricky to be jockeying cars around if I want to go somewhere and he's home. And this past week when the damaged car was in the garage and the rental was in the driveway - having 4 cars around was just supremely annoying.

Then we got rid of the rental and the damaged car and husband got a new car and now he wants to completely get rid of the bikes as they may possibly scratch his new car and that is not acceptable. lol

I'm the one who insists the garage is for parking cars. We do have stuff in there for storage, and occasionally can't park in garage due to deliveries (fundraising business and I'll come home to pallets of chocolate in the garage a couple times each fall and spring). 3 car garage with room for 3 cars, storage shelves, 2 freezers and a work bench. Attic is full of holiday decorations. Shed is for lawn stuff. John Deer room in basement is extra storage (my garden tools and chicken supplies). Neighbors have a 3 car garage and have never been able to park a single car in there. I despised apartment living mainly due to lack of covered parking. OTOH my 2001 4 runner has always been a sheltered vehicle and the body is in terrific shape!

Wow, that house is all kinds of architectural eyesore. Yikes.
The proper term is "McMansion Hell."

We have a 3 car garage and only one car fits

A few months ago we moved into a home that supposedly has a 3 car garage. Unfortunately, because of the angle of the driveway and pullout area, you can only park 1 car in the garage even if the garage is empty of stuff unless you have a tiny second car such as a MG or Fiat 500. We, unfortunately, didn't figure that out until after we bought the house and tried to park our cars. It's a real problem if there's one of those hail storms that our city is famous for. A few years ago we had two bad ones in a row and every house on our previous street had to get a new roof.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter